OU Cores in the BW2 Metagame

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor
Joey,

That core looks super Latios / Latias weak XD. Toxcroak and Celebi also look like they would be annoying but overall it looks interesting :P

Also, the above poster IS SO WRONG!!!!!! SAND FORCE CM LANDY FTW!!!!!!!!! :DDDDDD <3

no yeah I'm just kidding XD. sheer force bro :x

CB Tar is a great partner to this core,since he can remove lati@s, celebi and starmie.
Gengar is still annoying but you can use psychic instead hp ice on landorus.

Cresselia +Leftovers
252-HP/128-DEF/128-Sp.DEF
Calm Nature (Levitate)
Toxic/Reflect
Light Screen/Moonlight
-I know it has absolutely no offensive capabilities, but it is very successful in OU and can suprisingly wall even the greatest OU threats.

Darmanitan +Chesto Berry
100-HP/104-ATK/100-DEF/104-Sp.ATK/100-Sp.DEF
Brave/Relaxed Nature (Zen Mode)
Flare Blitz/Fire Blast
Hammer Arm/Rest
-Im kinda notorious for this set because im the only one who actually uses zen mode like this competitively. But, contrary to popular belief about zen mode, its actually very successful and happens to take out very annoying walls and tanks, and sometimes sweepers who werent prepared to let the fight last longer than one turn.

Salamence +Life Orb
252-ATK/252-SPD/4-HP
Jolly Nature (Moxie)
Dragon Claw/Earthquake
Aqua Tail/Dragon Dance or Outrage
-The masterpiece of my core. He(or Hydreigon) will get used on absolutely every team of mine. He is virtually unstoppable and usually only dies to faster sweepers that are rare in OU. His main problem has been Scarfed Terrakion, so I recently switched him to Jolly Nature and gave him Earthquake.

Hey, want some thoughts on this pairing.

Volcarona @ Lum Berry
Timid
Flame Body
252 Sp Attack, 252 Speed, 4 Def
IVs: 30 Attack, 30 Defense
Quiver Dance
Fiery Dance
Giga Drain
HP Ice

Yeah, its Volcarona. I've recently opted for a new set over the stock Bug Buzz/Fire STAB/coverage because I found that I lost to far too many different things, no matter what I ran. So I ditched Bug Buzz altogether and ran Giga Drain and Hp Ice instead, which gives you perfect(?) coverage, barring Fire types, which are generally a bad idea in this meta. 'course, Volcarona is still weak to SR and still can't break Heatran, which is why I pair it with...

Kabutops @ Lum Berry
Jolly
Swift Swim
252 Attack, 252 Speed, 4 HP
Rapid Spin
Waterfall
Stone Edge
Aqua Jet / Superpower

Kabutops seems like a really weird choice when Starmie is an option, but Volcarona and Kabutops go together rather well. Kabutops can deal out tons of damage to Fire types, can be counted on to Rapid Spin while dealing with several spinblockers, and generally supports Volcarona rather well. If rain is up, however, the roles change. Volcarona instead takes on the role of a wallbreaker for Kabutops, wiping out defensive the Grass types that it can't manage, and generally trying to dent as many things as possible. Jolly nature is a bit odd, but I like to outspeed all non-scarved Heatran.

The two go together rather well, covering a number of each other's weaknesses, barring Kabutop's Ground weakness and Volcarona's Water weakness (pssst... add a Grass type. Ferrothorn is handy for the entry hazards and residual damage, if you have something else to cover Ground). Beyond that, anything that brings more residual damage to the table is a good option, although hail and sandstorm do make Volcarona a little harder to set up.

Kyurem @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 220 Spd / 236 SAtk / 52 HP
Modest Nature
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Substitute
- Roost

Gengar @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Substitute
- Will-O-Wisp

This offensive core isn't about Synergie or something but allowing Kyurem to sweep opponents teams cleanly. You all probably know how deadly SubRoost Kyurem is but with this Gengar it's even more of a threat. Kyurems main counters are Scizor, Tyranitar and Jirachi and guess what, they're counters to Gengar as well. So what this Gengar does is luring in all these Kyurem-counters and will-o-wisping them to uselesness. After they got burned, Kyurem won't have any problem to beat any of those.

You obviously need some support. It's not absolutly neccessary, but a spinner will always be nice for Kyurem while Hazards on your own are helpful as well. Kyurem will also appreciate any weather but Sandstorm to recover health more easily.

252SpAtk Life Orb Hydreigon (+SAtk) Draco Meteor vs 252HP/252SpDef Hippowdon (Neutral): 73% - 86% (307 - 364 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO.

Slack Off etc. Also, I don't see how Hydreigon is attracting Mence's and Luke's checks and counters since it hits on the special side while they both hit on the physical side. Do you really think your opponent will send in slowbro against hydreigon ?
Slowbros aren't that common though. If you focus on slowbro, you might lose to more used things like hippowdon. Breloom should be a good member instead of Hydreigon. Breloom can take out at least one pokemon with spore and another with focus punch/bullet seed.

Latios (M) @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Surf
- Trick

Lucario (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Close Combat
- ExtremeSpeed
- Crunch
- Swords Dance

This is a very effective core in both BW and BW2, this core helps break the other pokemons checks/counters. The point of this core is to weaken lucario's checks and counters to the point where it can ko everything at +2. Trick helps lucario set up by forcing a pokemon who is locked into an ineffective move or a recovery move.

Celebi @ Expert Belt
Natural Cure
Mild
EVS: 56 HP/252 SpA/200 Spd
-Leaf Storm
-Earth Power
-U-Turn
-Hidden Power Fire

Rotom-W@ Leftovers
Levitate
Modest
EVs: 232 HP/56 Spa/220 Spd
-Volt Switch
-Hydro Pump
-Will-O-Wisp
-Thunder Wave

Heatran @ Leftovers
Flash Fire
Modest
EVs: 200 HP/110 SpA /200 SpD
-Fire Blast
-Stealth Rock
-Earth Power
-Will-O-Wisp

core provides
Volt Turn
Hazard
Status
Offensive pressure

Pair with Salamence and Lucario (Lucario appreciates paralysis, Salamence appreciates the burn (MoxieDDmence, not intimidate) allowing it to come in on physical sweepers)

Speaking of Axolotl and Anubis

Lucario @ Life Orb
Justified
Adamant
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
-Swords Dance
-Crunch
-Close Combat
-Extremespeed

Salamence @ Life Orb
Moxie
Naive
EVs: 252 Atk/4 SpA/252 Spd
-Dragon Dance
-Fire Blast
-Outrage
-Earthquake

Resists eachothers weaknesses and have good coverage (offensively)

Keldeo @ Expert Belt
Justified
Timid
4 HP/252 SpA/252 Spd
-Hydro Pump
-Hidden Power Dark
-Ice Wind
-Secret Sword

Latios @ Scarf (or Life Orb if you want power>revenge killing)
Levitate
Timid
4 HP/252 SpA/252 Spd
-Draco Meteor
-Surf
-Dragon Pulse
-Trick

Scizor @ Choice Band (or Life Orb for BulkySD set)
Technician
Adamant
248 HP/252 Atk/8 Spd
-Bullet Punch
-Superpower
-U-Turn/Bug Bite
-Pursuit/Swords Dance

the group resists each others weaknesses and are an incredible offensive force, considering each member has more than 125 in one offensive stat.

Defensively?

Ferro and Jellicent. Resists eachothers weaknesses, Ferro has paralysis support, Jellicent has burn support, allowing Ferro to run Sp.Defensive or mixed wall (Fero Mixed wall 252 HP, 252 Sp.Def, Impish gives ferro 352 HP, 327 defense, and 331 special defense).

Trinitrotoluene

young ☆nd foolish
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Here's yet another core that I've had immense success with in OU.

Heracross @ Choice Band | Guts
Adamant | 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Close Combat | Megahorn | Pursuit | Sleep Talk

Thundurus-Therian @ Yache Berry | Volt Absorb
Timid | 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe | 2 Atk / 30 Def
Thunder[bolt] | Hidden Power | Grass Knot | Volt Switch

Empoleon @ Petaya Berry | Torrent
Modest | 76 HP / 252 SpA / 12 SpD / 168 Spe | 0 Atk
Substitute | Agility | Surf | Ice Beam

This trio, while somewhat unconventional, focuses upon breaking apart the Pokemon that prevent Empoleon from sweeping, namely Gastrodon, Vaporeon, Celebi, Breloom, and Ferrothorn. The standard Celebi typically is the slow specially defensive variant, so Heracross can come in and pretend it's a Scarf set, scaring it out with the threat of a quick Megahorn, only to hit it with a powerful Pursuit. Heracross and Thundurus-T resist Breloom's STABs, and they can both force Breloom out with the threat of powerful and / or super-effective moves. Heracross in particular outspeeds all variants of Breloom (except for Scarfed Breloom, but who uses that?) and can exploit Breloom's tendency to Spore stuff to get a Guts boost. With a Guts boost, it can hit even harder than it usually does, 3HKOing notable resists like Landorus-T, Gliscor, and Gyarados (after SR, of course) with Close Combat and Megahorn, moves that all 3 of them resist. Thundurus-T needs nearly no explanation. Grass Knot is run over Focus Blast because Ferrothorn, the only notable target for Focus Blast, has unreliable recovery and is 2HKOed by Megahorn and OHKOed by Close Combat. Gastrodon, while uncommon, also likes switching into Thundurus-T, only to get 2HKOed by Grass Knot. All this is just to prep the carpet for Empoleon, which can run through teams almost effortlessly once those 5 Pokemon are gone. Swords Dance Toxicroak, while it may seem like a great Empoleon counter, is 2HKOed at worst by Ice Beam before a boost, and is maimed by Thundurus-T and Heracross. Bulkier variants are 3HKOed before the boost and 2HKOed after. To quote Gimmick, "[Jimbon and I] found an EV spread that maximized its bulk but allowed it to outspeed basically everything relevant. 76 HP / 252 SAtk / 12 SDef / 168 Spd does just that and still allows you to activate the Petaya Berry after only 3 Subs."

In terms of additional teammates, rain support from Politoed is always good. The rain reduces Heracross' Fire weakness, allows Thundurus-T to use Thunder instead of Thunderbolt, and ramps up Empoleon's power to nearly unmatched levels of intensity. Problem Pokemon include SubSD Terrakion and Scarf Keldeo. The former can set up on Heracross locked into Pursuit and start tearing the team apart from there, while the latter is faster than Empoleon even after an Agility.

I'd write more on this core, but I'm a bit tired, and my RMT that features this core, which can be accessed by clicking on the Unown in my sig, explains this in more detail.

Swords Dance Toxicroak, while it may seem like a great Empoleon counter, is 2HKOed at worst by Ice Beam before a boost, and is maimed by Thundurus-T and Heracross. Bulkier variants are 3HKOed before the boost and 2HKOed after.
You forget that toxicroak will recover 12,5% from rain dish (assuming that you and your opponents both play rain team), so Empoleon doesn't 2KHO him with ice beam. I think that toxicroak beats that core, but I never saw that case happened in battle, so maybe not.

Here's a good core to use on Rain Offense team :

Toxicroak @ Life Orb
Trait: Dry Skin
EVs: 232 Spd / 252 Atk / 24 HP
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Ice Punch
- Drain Punch / Cross Chop

Thundurus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 SAtk / 104 Spd / 40 HP / 96 Def / 16 SDef
Modest Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Agility
- Thunder / Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]

These 2 pokemons have great offensive synergy since they set up on each other counter. I took the Ev repartition for Thundurus-T from Shurtugal's RMT.
I'm not very good for explaining stuff, so I would be short : Toxicroak main counters are set up fodder for thundurus-t and vice-versa (gastrodon is an exception).
EH is greatly appreciated, as well as rapid spin support if you want thundurus-t to be more effective.

Meru

ate them up
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Here's yet another core that I've had immense success with in OU.

Heracross @ Choice Band | Guts
Adamant | 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Close Combat | Megahorn | Pursuit | Sleep Talk

Thundurus-Therian @ Yache Berry | Volt Absorb
Timid | 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe | 2 Atk / 30 Def
Thunder[bolt] | Hidden Power | Grass Knot | Volt Switch

Empoleon @ Petaya Berry | Torrent
Modest | 76 HP / 252 SpA / 12 SpD / 168 Spe | 0 Atk
Substitute | Agility | Surf | Ice Beam

This trio, while somewhat unconventional, focuses upon breaking apart the Pokemon that prevent Empoleon from sweeping, namely Gastrodon, Vaporeon, Celebi, Breloom, and Ferrothorn. The standard Celebi typically is the slow specially defensive variant, so Heracross can come in and pretend it's a Scarf set, scaring it out with the threat of a quick Megahorn, only to hit it with a powerful Pursuit. Heracross and Thundurus-T resist Breloom's STABs, and they can both force Breloom out with the threat of powerful and / or super-effective moves. Heracross in particular outspeeds all variants of Breloom (except for Scarfed Breloom, but who uses that?) and can exploit Breloom's tendency to Spore stuff to get a Guts boost. With a Guts boost, it can hit even harder than it usually does, 3HKOing notable resists like Landorus-T, Gliscor, and Gyarados (after SR, of course) with Close Combat and Megahorn, moves that all 3 of them resist. Thundurus-T needs nearly no explanation. Grass Knot is run over Focus Blast because Ferrothorn, the only notable target for Focus Blast, has unreliable recovery and is 2HKOed by Megahorn and OHKOed by Close Combat. Gastrodon, while uncommon, also likes switching into Thundurus-T, only to get 2HKOed by Grass Knot. All this is just to prep the carpet for Empoleon, which can run through teams almost effortlessly once those 5 Pokemon are gone. Swords Dance Toxicroak, while it may seem like a great Empoleon counter, is 2HKOed at worst by Ice Beam before a boost, and is maimed by Thundurus-T and Heracross. Bulkier variants are 3HKOed before the boost and 2HKOed after. To quote Gimmick, "[Jimbon and I] found an EV spread that maximized its bulk but allowed it to outspeed basically everything relevant. 76 HP / 252 SAtk / 12 SDef / 168 Spd does just that and still allows you to activate the Petaya Berry after only 3 Subs."

In terms of additional teammates, rain support from Politoed is always good. The rain reduces Heracross' Fire weakness, allows Thundurus-T to use Thunder instead of Thunderbolt, and ramps up Empoleon's power to nearly unmatched levels of intensity. Problem Pokemon include SubSD Terrakion and Scarf Keldeo. The former can set up on Heracross locked into Pursuit and start tearing the team apart from there, while the latter is faster than Empoleon even after an Agility.

I'd write more on this core, but I'm a bit tired, and my RMT that features this core, which can be accessed by clicking on the Unown in my sig, explains this in more detail.
I really like this core of Empoleon and Thundurus-T. It reminds me of the Empoleon/Zapdos core that received a lot of hype in UU.

Trinitrotoluene

young ☆nd foolish
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
You forget that toxicroak will recover 12,5% from rain dish (assuming that you and your opponents both play rain team), so Empoleon doesn't 2KHO him with ice beam. I think that toxicroak beats that core, but I never saw that case happened in battle, so maybe not.
252+ SpA Empoleon Ice Beam vs. 244 HP / 0 SpD Toxicroak: 145-171 (39.4 - 46.46%) -- 49.39% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock and weather

+1 252+ SpA Empoleon Ice Beam vs. 244 HP / 0 SpD Toxicroak: 217-256 (58.96 - 69.56%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and weather

252+ SpA Empoleon Ice Beam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Toxicroak: 145-171 (47.07 - 55.51%) -- 20.7% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and weather

+1 252+ SpA Empoleon Ice Beam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Toxicroak: 217-256 (70.45 - 83.11%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and weather

You're right about me not factoring rain and Dry Skin into some of my thoughts, so thanks for correcting me on that. The actual damage calcs can be seen above, and I'm correct for the most part. Again, thank you for correcting me. Also, Toxicroak can beat this core only if Thundurus-T is weakened or if Toxicroak is boosted, as Thundurus-T takes 48.82 - 57.52% from a 252+ LO Toxicroak's Sucker Punch. However, that's what teammates are for.

Another core from me.

Landorus @ Life Orb
Sand Force
4 hp-252 Atk-252 spe
Jolly-Adamant
Earthquake
Stone edge
HP ice-superpower-swords dance
Rock polish

Keldeo @life orb
Justifid
4 hp-252 spA-252 Spe
Timid
Secret sword
Hydro pumpin
Hp electric
Icy wimd

This core is very powerful. Why? Beccause it covers both sides of the offense spectrum. Keldo rapes specially, and lando does it physically. And because sheer force lando and keldo have similar counters, u could un a physical landorus set to blow apart latios, jellicent, and celebi.

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Of course, you've got to talk about Tyranitar/Landorus/Keldeo anytime you mention two of them. Choice Band Tyranitar just eats up all of special Landorus and Keldeo's counters with so little effort. Meanwhile, Landorus and Keldeo just overload each other's similar checks to the point where they aren't capable of checking you anymore.

Of course, you've got to talk about Tyranitar/Landorus/Keldeo anytime you mention two of them. Choice Band Tyranitar just eats up all of special Landorus and Keldeo's counters with so little effort. Meanwhile, Landorus and Keldeo just overload each other's similar checks to the point where they aren't capable of checking you anymore.
forget cbtar 4 a second. sandorus BLOWS APART keldeos counters. keldeo BLOWS APART sandorus' counters. so cbtar isnt needed for sandorus+keldeo.

Alright guys I need your help:

Lucario (M)
@ Life Orb
Trait: Inner Focus
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Close Combat
- ExtremeSpeed
- Swords Dance

Mew @
Life Orb
Trait: Synchronize
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Aura Sphere
- Flamethrower
- Psyshock

I want to build a team around these two, but am need of teammate ideas.What do you all think would work best? I was honestly thinking of Air Balloon Heatran coupled with a Rotom-W. That way all Fire, Bug, Ground, Fighting, Dark, and Grass weaknesses are covered. Not to mention none of this take major stealth rock damages.
I get it, Lucario and the Mystery of Mew (Because you won't know what Mew is running) :P I applaud thee.

In all honesty I think it looks great, good job man

[pimg]227[/pimg]
Skarmory @ Custap Berry
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Spikes
- Stealth Rock
- Whirlwind / Brave Bird
- Taunt

[pimg]94[/pimg]
Gengar @ Leftovers
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Disable
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
This core is very effective at setting up entry hazards and spinblocking. Skarmory is meant to be lead, setting up as many hazards as possible. Gengar is the best offensive partner because it can spinblock and obtain many 2HKOs with the entry hazards. This core is only meant to setup hazards and keep them on the field, so the rest of the team should be powerful attacks and speedy threats. This core can pressure the opponents team greatly.

PokèManiac Livio

Un panino al salame
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
[pimg]227[/pimg]
Skarmory @ Custap Berry
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Spikes
- Stealth Rock
- Whirlwind
- Taunt

[pimg]94[/pimg]
Gengar @ Leftovers
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Disable
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
This core is very effective at setting up entry hazards and spinblocking. Skarmory is meant to be lead, setting up as many hazards as possible. Gengar is the best offensive partner because it can spinblock and obtain many 2HKOs with the entry hazards. This core is only meant to setup hazards and keep them on the field, so the rest of the team should be powerful attacks and speedy threats. This core can pressure the opponents team greatly.
WW------>BB on skarmory,to hit the opponent and choice scarf with destiny bond Gengar, to Outplay Starmie that can spin easily

This core is what I built my RMT (link is signature) around but I guess I will share it here too.

Toxicroak (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Dry Skin
EVs: 24 HP / 252 Atk / 232 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Drain Punch
- Sucker Punch
- Ice Punch
- Swords Dance

Toxicroak is meant to be the backup and help for gyarados' sweep. The swords dance set is really deadly in this metagame with flawless coverage and decent bulk through amazing typing. Toxicroak can even handle lots of terrakions if they are not CB which is pretty common because sash and swords dance terrakion are really dominating. Drk skin under rain is also really awesome because it negates life orb recoil. Combined with drain punch toxicroak will stick around. Defensively toxicroak can take strong rock attacks aimed at gyarados. Electric type attacks not so much but ferrothorn can help if necessary.

Gyarados (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 176 HP / 84 Atk / 248 Spe
Adamant Nature
-Dragon Dance
-Waterfall
-Bounce
-Substitute

Gyarados has no count. With intimidate and good special bulk he can set up on a ton of threats in the metagame. With this set his subs will never be broken by crap like ferrothorn gyro ball or jellicent shadow ball etc. With substitute and dragon dance he is about as scary as a 20 foot long sea snake. The only things that can handle gyarados are ferrothorn and some rotom-w which will fall to toxicroak. Gyarados' set can change depending on whether or not your team is offensive or defensive. I like to run initmidate and a lot of bulk but it all changes based on your team.

This core obviously works well on a rain team, so politoed support is mandatory. Ferrothorn is an option for an electric resist and spike setter. Forretress can spin and set hazards. Dragon types can check electric types which could power through like thundurus-therian.

Joeyboy

Has got the gift of gab
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Celebi @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 220 SDef / 36 Spd
Gentle Nature
- Stealth Rocks
- U-turn / Baton Pass
- Psychic
- Recover

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Serene Grace
Jolly Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 Def
- U-turn
- Iron Head
- Ice Punch
- Trick

Pretty standard core I think but I've been using it a lot recently and wanted to share it in case anyone doesn't know it yet :) The core is a nice balance between offensive and defensive, Celebi being the primary defense and Jirachi being the primary offense, and both share great synergy. The dual use of U-Turn is awesome as they usually have no problems U-Turning back and forth on their respective switch-ins. Celebi also sets up the rocks that are huge on any U-Turning combo as you'll be forcing switches left and right and can rack up some impressive hazards damage.

Honestly try it out, this pair is extraordinarily solid and are very easy to build around. I have multiple teams at the moment that utilize these two 'mons. They work especially well on Rain teams where their shared Fire-type weakness is nullified.

dcae

plaza athénée
is a defending SCL Championis a Past SCL Champion

Celebi @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 220 SDef / 36 Spd
Gentle Nature
- Stealth Rocks
- U-turn
- Psychic
- Recover

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Serene Grace
Jolly Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 Def
- U-turn
- Iron Head
- Ice Punch
- Trick

Pretty standard core I think but I've been using it a lot recently and wanted to share it in case anyone doesn't know it yet :) The core is a nice balance between offensive and defensive, Celebi being the primary defense and Jirachi being the primary offense, and both share great synergy. The dual use of U-Turn is awesome as they usually have no problems U-Turning back and forth on their respective switch-ins. Celebi also sets up the rocks that are huge on any U-Turning combo as you'll be forcing switches left and right and can rack up some impressive hazards damage.

Honestly try it out, this pair is extraordinarily solid and are very easy to build around. I have multiple teams at the moment that utilize these two 'mons. They work especially well on Rain teams where their shared Fire-type weakness is nullified.
I really like this core, I've run it a lot before. Just a question: On Celebi, wouldn't you rather run Baton Pass? Nowadays, CB Ttar is absolutely all over the place, especially paired with Landorus or Keldeo. Celebi barely does damage when using U-turn, and Baton Pass allows it to escape Pursuiting to another pokemon. Personally, that's the move I use, but I think the argument for it can go either way.

Joeyboy

Has got the gift of gab
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Yeah, U-Turn really is just personal preference. Celebi is really common on opposing teams and my Celebi is a perfect switch to it. From there I can U-Turn out to do a hefty chunk and go to Jirachi to potentially U-Turn out again.

I run this core on a team that loves the removal of enemy Celebi so that's why I run U-Turn. I'll slash in Baton Pass though because you're definitely right about Tyranitar. I just posted the two 'mons straight from my importable :)

@Joeyboy Outside of Jirachi's trick, both Celebi and Jirachi are huge setup bait for hazards from steel types. Hope you have rain tentacruel to stop them!

As for my core:

Latios (M) @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Psyshock
- Draco Meteor
- Surf
- Sleep Talk

Dugtrio (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Shadow Claw / Sucker Punch
- Memento

+ special sweeper of choice

Thundurus-T (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Volt Absorb
EVs: 68 Def / 252 SAtk / 188 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Focus Blast
- Agility

Latios+Dugtrio origins come from the offensive rain teams that featured Tornadus all the way back in BW, but the pairing is not exclusive to rain. Whether it be Sp. Def Tyranitar, Jirachi, or Heatran; Latios lures them out to be potentially trapped by Dugtrio. If you are lucky enough that your opponent decides to kill off your Latios with his or her Pokemon, congradulations, no prediction with Dugtrio required! You may question the choice of Life Orb Dugtrio, but honestly I find it to be the best Dugtrio. It offers the power to get KO's + the ability to prevent opposing set up with Memento, as well as get your intended sweeper in the field.

Really you can use any special sweeper of your choice in the 3rd spot, but this core is more inclined for a very speedy special sweeper with Dugtrio+Latios opening holes up. Right now, I am enjoying Agility Thundurus-T. Thunderus-T can wreck the rain teams that are everywhere right now and can lure in Ferrothorn which this core has trouble with. I was utterly surprised when I found out Modest Life Orb Thunderus-T can do 87+% to Ferrothorn:

252+ SpA Life Orb Thundurus-T Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 309-364 (87.78 - 103.4%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)