[OU]Highlander The One

.::HIGHLANDER THE ONE::.

Click me for source song!

Introduction:

So, I used to be an avid metagame player, but somewhere along the line, altough my interest for Pokémon ever dissapeared, I stopped playing, and start becoming more and more casual. Today for whatever reason a friend of mine pressured me to come back, and I hooked myself again. Of course I've been away for long, so help me with these flaws!

.::OVERVIEW::.
.::
::.

In Depth:

Kero

@

Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Nature: Bold (+Def, -Atk)
~
Scald
~
Encore
~
Protect
~
Toxic

The rain bringer of excelence, and an utility mon. Protect allows me to recover health with Leftovers, Scald spreads Burn and shuts down physical threats, Toxic helps me in stall war with the Likes of Blissey, slowing wearing them down until they die, and Encore helps me shut down potencial set-up threats, or even lock the opponent in a move advantageous for me, for another team member to finish. He is essentially a team player. Won't be killing anything anytime soon, but gets the job done

Tartarus

@

Trait: Arena Trap
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Nature: Jolly (+Spd, -SAtk)
~
Earthquake
~
Sucker Punch
~
Reversal
~
Stealth Rock

I spent some time testing this team, and, gotta say, Dugtrio was a pleasant surpise. I was initially put off by the meager Attack stat, but suddenly tha didn't seemed important when he started killing Heatrans, Jolteons, Magnezones, Metagrosses and Tyranitares like a champion. This is one of my core Pokémon, checking so much it's ridiculous. Arena trap is awesome. The moveset is pretty simples. EQ provides powerful STAB, Sucker Punch picks weakened enemies and cleans everything in late-game, Reversal and Focus Sash work together to "one last push". Stealth Rock is not used very often and usually use it when there's nothing much Dugtrio can't do anymore. Overall Dugtrio eases the work of the rest of the team and is a team player by setting up rocks. I love him.

Tatsumaki

@

Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Nature: Timid (+Spd, -Atk)
~
Hurricane
~
Focus Blast
~
Heat Wave
~
U-turn

When I started constructing this team the first Pokémon I wanted in my team was Tornadus-T and no regrets. This things is good and awesome to use. So far most of the matches I won, I got them by having Tornadus-T spaming Hurricane all over the place. Regenerator is an amazing ability and extends Tornadus staying in the game a lot. U-turn is for predicts and usually ends up with me switching over to Dugtrio to finish the opponent off. Heat Wave is kind fillerish, and I rarely use it, unless the weather is changed to sun to pick up some pesky grass types. Focus Blast gets Tyranitar and Steel Types on the switch. For everything else, just spam Hurricane. And it works

Thorn

@

Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SDef
Nature: Relaxed (+Def, -Spd)
~
Power Whip
~
Gyro Ball
~
Leech Seed
~
Spikes

Standard Ferrothorn, is so delicious how Standard it is. This guy is in charge to come over to those Punk Latios and their Draco Meteors and show who's the boss. Under the rain it can suck Draco Meteors and even Hidden Power Fire without much trouble. Leech Seed allows him to recover HP and win stall wars, Power Whip destroys Tyranitar and enemy Politoed/tentacruel/etc., Gyro Ball for Dragons, Spikes when I can confortabilty set-up. This is one of those Pokémon with the 4-move-slots Syndrome and i wish I could fit in Protect. But even without that Ferrothorn does his job, stopping Dragons and BoltBeamers and suprisingly is able to grab plenty of kills. I seriously never expected this guy could kill so much.

Andromeda

@

Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Nature: Timid (+Spe, -Atk)
~
Hydro Pump
~
Thunder
~
Ice Beam
~
RapidSpin

Another rain abuser, initially I had Keldeo in this spot (the ability to defeat Blissey with Secret Sword is pretty sexy), but the need for a Spinner ended up dictating the arrival of Starmie. Starmie is a straight-up sweeps. It kills things for a living. Thunder 2HKO even the bulkiest of Tentacruels, Hydro Pumps leaves a dent on everything, Ice for the ocasional Dragon type or Breelom, Rapid Spin to blow away all hazards, since I end up switching a lot. Timid Nature outspeeds Modest Starmie, every non-Scarfed Gengar, Musketeers and Incarnate forms of the Kami Trio. Natural Cure is a nice bonus, allowing Starmie to suck up T-waves and the likes and come back unharmed.

Porthos

@

Trait: Justified
Nature: Jolly (+Spe, -Atk)
~
Stone Edge
~
Close Combat
~
Earthquake
~
X-Scissor

Terrakion is my late-game cleaner. At the beginning it was kinda tacked in, but suprisingly it works and rapes things. Timid outspeeds other Adamant Terrakions. Stone Edge and Close Combat make an almost unresisted combo and those are usually the only one I end up using. X-Scissor for the ocasional Celebi, as well and Latios and Hydreigon. Earthquake is pretty much fillerish, but its always good to be able to destroy the ocasional Toxicroak that pops up in enemy rain teams. It also works as a revenge killer, entering on resisted hits and destroying/leaving a dent on almost everything

Sinergy chart

The Importable:

Kero (Politoed) (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Scald
- Toxic
- Encore
- Protect

Tartarus (Dugtrio) (M) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Arena Trap
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Reversal
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Sucker Punch

Tatsumaki (Tornadus-T) (M) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Hurricane
- Focus Blast
- U-turn
- Heat Wave

Thorn (Ferrothorn) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SDef
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip

Porthos (Terrakion) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Justified
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Close Combat
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- X-Scissor

Andromeda (Starmie) @ Life Orb
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Rapid Spin
- Hydro Pump
- Thunder
- Ice Beam

Final Notes:
And that's all folks! This team is probably pretty cliche but I had fun using it (I really never used a proper Rain Team before). Please Critique and Rate Me!

.::THE END::.

.::
::.

chimpact

fire nation
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Nice team.

First, I would consider giving Dugtrio Stone Edge or Memento over Sucker Punch. There are many instances where you will be using Sucker Punch and your opponent will just go for recover or something and you really need the guaranteed damage.

I would also give Politoed at LEAST 24 speed EVs to outspeed minimum speed Skarmory as well as Jellicent with significant speed EVs and toxic it before it can taunt you. You can put 60 speed to outspeed Heatran if you feel like you need to outspeed that, even though you have multiple answers to it on your team.

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hi,

Solid team you've got here! You've got a lot of things covered- nice job. One pokemon that I think could be a little bit of a problem offensively is SpDef Jirachi. Your team slants special very much, so you lack powerful physical attacks to knock it out. It can easily come in on Ferrothorn or Tornadus, and just spam Body Slam until something dies. Terrakion and Dugtrio, the only pokemon that carry super effective moves, are deathly afraid of Body Slam, something Jirachi's going to be just handing out the moment it gets out there. Should either of them get paralyzed, you'd just flat out lose to other special walls like Blissey or ChopleTar. To help you combat Jirachi, there are a few small changes I think would be best.

I don't think Spikes is the absolute best idea on Ferrothorn. Pokemon that bug this team don't really mind spikes- this includes Gliscor, Skarmory, and Lati@s. Not only that, you lack a spin blocker- AND have a hard time anyway preventing pokemon like Forretress or Donphan to spin. Your team isn't exactly the type to cause too many switches- you really just rely on brute force to plow through everything. Using time to set Spikes will just be a burden- so I think Thunder Wave would probably be best instead.

Now, you may be looking at me all weird, thinking, 'Well I have Gyro Ball and Thunder Wave will interfere.' No. Being that your team is of a very offensive nature, killing will probably be more important than crippling for you, even if it's Ferrothorn. If you see a fast pokemon like Choice Scarf Terrakion, will TWave ever get in the way of Gyro Ball? Of course not, because you'd always Gyro Ball that bitch before you ever think of TWaving. It's not going to get in your way. In the contrary, it will help you- by paralyzing foes such as Jirachi, Volcorona, or Haxorus. You're not going to hit them with Gyro Ball or Power Whip, and just sitting there and letting them set up isn't the wisest thing to do. Just TWave them, and send in Tornadus or Terrakion to revenge.

You didn't mention this in your RMT, so I'll assume this isn't already implemented. Dugtrio's IVs should be changed to 21 HP / 0 Def / 0 SpDef so you are as frail as possible. You don't want to actually survive a hit that you want to go down to sash to, because then Reversal will lose a lot of power. I also recommend Stone Edge instead of Sucker Punch. This allows you to take out Volcorona and Tornadus before they become major threats.

On Politoed, Perish Song is probably better than Encore, because Politoed is so slow. Against opponents like DDance Haxorus or Calm Mind Latias, you'll want to force them out ASAP- and running the risk of being KO'd by a STAB move when you actually wanted to force them out is obviously not what you're trying to do here. Perish Song will also let you cheaply win battles where it's 1/2+ in your favor.

Overall, nice team. I hope I helped!

Hey man nice looking team you have here

First thing i noticed was you are running Heat Wave on Tornadus-T. In a rain team this isn't ideal because its power gets nerfed by 50%. Not to worry though because Tornadus-T still has options over this infact a very good option is Grass Knot>Heat Wave Grass Knot has the ability to destroy Gastrodon's that try and switch in which is always good because Gastrodon can be a pain for rain teams to verse. It also helps against Rotom-W and Jellicent to other annoyances to rain teams dut to Rotom-W's ability to abuse its boosted water attacks while also being able to threaten your water types with Volt Switch or Thunder. Jellicent on the other hand has Water Absorb to heal himself from your powerful Water-Type moves. Infact Jellicent seems to me like a bit of a defensive threat especially ones that run Shadow Ball because they can beat Starmie. Because Jellicent can also take on Terrakion get a possible Scald burn to break Dugtrios Focus Sash and Ko it as well as Taunt Ferrothorn.

The next change i can reccomend is regarding your Dugtrio. While Sucker Punch has it's uses it isn't really to useful because of the prediction required to use it and predicting is something you want to do very little when you have a pokemon that usually lasts two turns on the field. That is why i suggest Memento>Sucker Punch on Dugtrio. Memento lowens your opponents offensive stats while koing Dugtrio giving a free switch to one of your pokemon. This is great late game because if Terrakion or Tornadus-T get a free switch late game it is commonly gg.

Lastly with Starmie as your Rapid Spinner you need to keep him as healthy as possible when versing Stall Teams so they don't keep there hazards up. This is often a hard thing to do with a Life Orb Starmie because it usually doesn't live to long. That is why Defensive Starmie>Life Orb Starmie is a good option. Defensive Starmie is a much more reliable rapid spinner and also gives you another pokemon who can switch into powerful Water-Type attacks from the opponent.

Sets

Starmie @ Leftovers | Natural Cure
Timid | 252 Hp / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Scald | Rapid Spin| Recover | Psyshock/Ice Beam

Tl;dr

Tornadus-T
.Grass Knot--->Heat Wave

Dugtrio
.Memento--->Sucker Punch

Starmie
Defensive Rapid Spin--->Current Set

~Superpowerdude

~SuperPowerdude
Well, I guess I'll replace Heat Wave (I don't really use it anyway). I'll also try the defensice Starmie and test how Mememto fares.

Electrolyte
T-wave looks like an interesting option, and this was not the first time I was suggested Perish Song, so that's something I'll test out.

Chimpakt
I'll test that but so far, It wasn't really necessary for Politoed to outpace Skarmory.

Anyway after further testing somethig that bugs me is Scarf Rotom-W. It's annoying to deal with if my Terrakion is down, and even with Terra he can't OHKo it with Close Combat

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
This team is definitely very solid, and there aren't many weaknesses as you handle most threats well already. The only problem I see is the glaring weakness to stall teams, as you have no way of taking down a simple Blissey + 1 of Gliscor, Skarmory, Slowbro... introduce Terrakion counter here. The easiest way of fixing this would be using a different set on Tornadus-T. Running a Life Orb set with Superpower and Taunt will allow Tornadus-T to get past Blissey, which means you won't have troubles with stall teams anymore. This change also allows you to handle Tyranitar better in case it's running Shed Shell or Dugtrio isn't able to KO it for some reason. Here's the set:

Tornadus-T@Life Orb | Regenerator
Hasty Nature | 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hurricane / U-turn / Superpower / Taunt

Not much more to say, but I support Electrolyte's suggestion of using Perish Song on Politoed, as this will allow you to handle Calm Mind Reuniclus, a huge threat to your team, a bit better.

Finally, while this is more of a preference than anything, you could try using a Surf/Psyshock/Recover/Rapid Spin Starmie (like Superpowerdude suggested), but instead of running a defensive spread (which doesn't fit your team in my opinion) you could still use a 252 SpA / 252 Spe EV Spread with Life Orb as the item. Surf and Psyshock grant Starmie a good coverage, but the main selling point of using that set is being able to use Recover while not losing offensive presence, which will allow you to use Rapid Spin more than once during the able.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)