1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

OU Mono Ground in all its soily glory

Discussion in 'Past Gen Teams' started by november1093, Feb 27, 2010.

1. november1093

november1093

Hola friends. Welcome to another exciting installment of November's RMTs. I have a pretty unique team this time- Mono Ground. The team consists of 5 ground types and a wild card. I think its pretty successful since I beat flying with 4 pokes leftover but I bet I would cave vs. alot of people. This team is base on.. wait for it....... A WISHCASH SWEEP. Wishcash is suprisingly amazing I'll have you know. I have had all sorts of success with the fights I've had. The team also includes some unique sets to have a little fun. Overall I guess I'm going for bulky offence, but I hold no one sect. Here is my team building process.

Well obviously I needed a lead. Since some leads carry things for swampy I figured that would be a bad choice. In the end I went with a good ole hippowdon. It gets the sandstorm going and walls some leads to eternity.(not much better than swampert but what ground type lead is).
    [​IMG]

Obvioulsy this team would not be complete with out a flygon. It cuts out some ground weaknesses while mataining the ability to be neutered by Ice types. But don't worry we'll fix that.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

On to the defensive core!!!!!!! Which will be all ground type. I selected Specially defensive Rhyperior due to its WHAT factor and a Swampert for physical walling and yawn support. The ability to use special attacks is more than enough to merit a position on my team.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

We need a Wild Card now. Something that can cover my large ice and grass weakness. Something With Sp.Atk. Something Bold. Something like a mystical volcano demon of DEATH. Heatran. :naughty: I think he kind of fits the team's theme anyway.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Wonderful. Now if your not a Introduction reader than you wont see this coming...
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

We have our team. Now I believe some explinations are in order.

[​IMG]
    Hippowdon (Kung Powdon) @ Leftovers
    Impish-252 HP/168 Def/88 Sp.Def
    Ability: Sandstream
    -Earthquake
    -Stone Edge
    -Stealth Rock
    -Slack Off

Just your basic, every day, run-of-the-mill Hippowdon. I figured he'd be kind of meh on my team but he has shown his stuff. What I first put on here to be a Sandstorm Starter is now a key player. Hippowdon has all the things it needs to be a great physical wall. It hits quite hard too. STAB EQ is nothing to sneeze at. Slack off makes it incredibly hard to take down without toxic or special moves. And as always its a wonderful Luke counter. I felt Stone Edge was a necessity due to my teams "problems" with flyers. Levitators are a pain though. All in all, I'm quite happy with this fat lard.

Hippowdon's Team Rating: 6.7

[​IMG]
    Flygon (Selvester) @ Choice Scarf
    Jolly-252 Atk/252 Spe/4 HP
    Abilty: Levitate
    -Earthquake
    -Outrage
    -Stone Edge
    -Fire Blast

Flygon is amazing. It adds all sorts of thing to the table. Its also my best weapon against a gyarados, which is otherwise almost imposible to stop.
    Now you may be wondering about U-turn. I tried it don't worry. I've found that U-turning the switch in and changing out to something with almost the same weaknesses isn't that effective. Flygon can be doing better things with Fire Blasting the switch ins (although I have yet to find success with that move too). Flygon brings some much needed speed to the table. Ground types are normally slow, so it is imperative that I keep this guy alive. I tend to have problems without him.

Flygon's Team rating: 9

[​IMG]
    Rhyperior (La Pwnage) @ Leftovers
    Careful- 244 HP/248 Sp.Def/16 Atk
    Ability: Solid Rock
    -Earthquake
    -Megahorn
    -Stone Edge
    -Thunderpunch

Specially Defensive Ryperior has impressed me I must say. All of the ones Ive used and fought have impressed me. They last an incredibly long time with 432/296/342 defenses, and Solid Rock makes it even harder to take down. But it doesn't end there, with a still quite monsterous 320 attack stat it can dish out the damage. The only thing that is below average is its speed, but remember it is a wall. Actually, I think tank would be more appropriate. Stone Edge and Earthquake provide quite sexy dual stab and Megahorn hits just about everything else. Thunderpuch again shows up to combat gyara, but only works if I dont have intimidate and it hasn't danced. Its quite situational but i didn't have many other great options there.

Rhyperior's Team Rating: 7.5

[​IMG]
    Swampert (Moose) @ Leftovers
    Bold-252 HP/252 Def/4 Sp. Atk
    Ability: Torrent
    -Hydro Pump
    -Ice Beam
    -Yawn
    -Toxic

Yes it's a wierd Swampert, but I have my reasons. I am sure you are curious as to why no earthquake. Well, I personally believe that water and ground are redundent coverage except Empoleon. Also, I would have Earthquake on here if everthing else on my team didn't. Its just not needed in a Mono Type team such as this. I have yawn to force switches and dehabilitate the last poke of my opponents team and toxic for stall. Swampert is also the only Ground type Pokemon (besides Wishcash who I should not use to wall) that can take ice attacks OK. It is a very important team member. It holds firm on the team without recovery and Hydro Pump can really start to take its toll.

Swampert's Team Rating: 7

[​IMG]
    heatran (Heather) @ Shucca Berry
    Modest-128 HP/164 Def/216 Sp.Atk
    Nature: Flash Fire
    -Magma Storm
    -Hidden Power Grass
    -Dragon Pulse
    -Explosion

Heatran deserves a special spot on this team because it 4x resists my two greatest weaknesses. Actually no. It resists my greatest weakness, and it resists my 3rd greatest weakness. Water Types are a pain in the but for this team. So this is the only heatran set I thought that would work. It does OKay but it's nothing special. It traps the switch in and aims to kill its counters. Mence and Nite all fall and I believe latias will after SR. Blissey gets asploded upon, and water types (especially swampy) eat a tasty HP Grass. Yet still, I think I could do better with this slot. I'm not sure what resists, Ice, and Water, and Grass. Thats why Ludicolo has such great coverage right? Heatran was the best I could think of.

Heatran's Team Rating: 6.2

[​IMG]
    Wiscash (Wish I had Cash) @ Leftovers
    Jolly-252 Atk/252 Spe/4 HP
    Nature: Anticipation
    -Dragon Dance
    -Waterfall
    -Return
    -Earthquake

Wiscash is my late game sweeper and what a fine job it does. This thing is suprisingly powerful, and I can set up on anything swampert can switch into. Anticipation is a great ability to have on a sweeper like Wiscash. It lets me know things like if the opponent is carrying HP Ice or Grass, or if it has an exploding move. The only thing that resists my set is shedinja, who is disposed of via Stealth Rock. I can normally easily get 2 Dragon Dances up. Although, lately I've been using it mid late game. It often takes out 3 pokemon. Then Flygon can clean up. I never knew NUs could be so dangerous in OU, but they are and Whiscash is no exception.

Whiscash's team rating: 8.7

Well my team still has problems. Water Types are the main ones. Starmie can outright sweep me if it has Grass Knot. I need some help with this. Also, (T-Spikes) stall can be quite the pain. Please Help. Mostly Water type sweepers are what get me. It sucks.

UPDATES:
    I have tested
    [​IMG]-to be honest I dont think it matters what I choose in the Quagsire vs. Swampert Issue. They have both given me good results. Quagsire really helps vs. Water Types and has recovery, but Swampert isn't that bad vs. them either and he can hit way harder. In fact, I'm kind of just starting to switch between the two when I feel like it. Perhaps future raters can help with this.

[​IMG]-Mamoswine was tested out quite a bit. In the end I found it to be a very powerful pokemon, when it instantly killed something and then died to something faster. I am very much considering to put it elsewheres on my team (but not in Whiscashes spot).

[​IMG]-taunt worked for a few turns on things like crocune, but they instantly killed me with attacks like surf after and still remains a problem. I dont think there is a good ground type for Crocune...
  2. broodjekebab

broodjekebab

First off, yay for using a mono type team ^^.

I suggest T-punch on Flygon over SE, it hits Gyarados and other waters (like the feared Starmie) harder and more reliably, at the relatively small cost of being weaker against Zapdos and Togekiss.
    Fire Blast is an ok option, but U-turn would help with your Starmie issues. Even Draco Meteor isn't an altogether terrible option, actually.

For your water issues....I could recommend Quagsire. It absorbs water, although it might not have much purpose beyond that. It does give you a semi-reliable Gyarados counter, if you give it hp electric.
    I can see Quagsire replacing Swampert just fine.

As for T-spikes, your only options are Donphan (who still gets poisoned) or Nidoking/Nidoqueen. The latter two aren't that bad, and provide different roles. Nidoking functions best as a wallbreaker, while Nidoqueen is more tanky.
    I'd say that besides Swampert, Rhyperior is the least useful pokemon. I really haven't got a clue as to its effectiveness since it's such an original set, so u might be better off keeping Rhyperior but remaining T-spikes weak.
  3. CrossHair-a

CrossHair-a

Instead of Whiscash, an LO Mamoswine is a great replacement for a late-game sweeper, with priority in Ice Shard, STAB Earthquake, Stone Edge, and [filler move], he can clean up quite easily. Here's the set:

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
    Snow Cloak
    Jolly
    4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
    ~Ice Shard
    ~Earthquake
    ~Stone Edge
    ~Fire Fang / Return / Ice Fang

LOSwine is quite deadly, upholding a STAB EQ from base 130 attack, as well as STAB Ice Shard, he is basically a Garchomp (STAB EQ) and Scizor (sweet priority attack bar Technician) all in one. Earthquake literally decimates everything that doesn't carry Levitate or a secondary Flying-type, while Ice Shard and Stone Edge handle both of of those problems, respectively. Ice Shard owns Scarf Latias, Scarf Flygon, and other fast Dragons, while Stone Edge hits Gyarados, Salamence, and others. The last move is your choice: Fire Fang gives Scizor no hope (on the switch), Return has a nice 102 Base Power, and Ice Fang provides a nice secondary STAB. With Life Orb, many nice KOs are achieved, and it works perfectly as a late game swweeper.

Next, I'd like to address a possible pokemon for your team: Gliscor. With sandstorm up and Sand Veil, Gliscor begets frustrating to hit with attacks like Fire Blast and Stone Edge, and his fantastic ability to break stall and tanks is incredibly useful, seeing as how CroCune can chew on this team and spit it out. It's just a suggestion, but it is worth considering; here's the set:

Gliscor @ Leftovers / Passho Berry
    Sand Veil
    Jolly
    252 HP / 32 Def / 224 Spe
    ~Taunt
    ~Earthquake
    ~Toxic
    ~Roost

Between Taunt and Toxic, Gliscor can prevent set up mons from recovering and boosting further, and can use Toxic + Roost to outstall the boosted pokemon or a wall/staller. Earthquake is a solid STAB in case Gliscor himself gets Taunted, Roost is for a much needed recovery, and Taunt and Toxic work together to create possibly the best stallbreaker available in OU. If you'd like to use this, it could go over Swampert, Rhyperior, or Heatran even. It has the potential to do a fair bit for a team like this, and it doesn't ruin the mono-typing.

All and all, this team could use soem work, but you're off to a nice start. I can't say Whiscash sucks, because in your experience, he seems to have worked well, so I can't argue against it. Good luck overall!

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)