OU Mono: Running Ablaze

So I love OU Monotype. Like, love love. It's so much fun, and it allows you to be really creative without having to worry about teams carrying both Rotom and Scizor or some shit. It's really cool and unique and quite possibly is one of my favorite metas. So, after building a bad Mono Psychic team, I decided to go all or nothing and went with a Fire team. And..I've actually done really well with this team, despite how bad of a Monotype Fire is. Either way, let us begin!

Matoi (Charizard) @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Roost
- Flamethrower
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast

What's a Fire team without everybody's favorite fire-type Mega? (One of the best, anyway.) Charizard-Y screamed for a slot on this team, and honestly it fits in perfectly. It provides a nice sun for the entire team to work with, does HUGE damage to everything in it's path, and it's overall a great Pokemon to use, and it helps the team out really well. Roost is for recovery if needed, Flamethrower > Fire Miss because I'm powerful enough already, Solar Beam because sun, and Focus Miss Blast for anything I need to hit with it. A great team member and a beautiful staple.

Cock Loving Slot (Victini) @ Choice Band
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- Zen Headbutt
- U-turn

Speaking of things that work well in the sun - Choice Band Victini tears through shit like it's no matter. With sun in play, this thing DESTROYS shit with V-Create, dealing massive damage and tearing through opponents like they're wet toilet paper. Of course, this is a standard Victini set, but why fix what isn't broken? This guy is a beast and I wouldn't have it any other way. Victini, like Charizard-Y, was one of the main staples on this team and was actually what I built it around. The idea of a strong, Monofire team. And Victini fits this role perfectly.

Bonzi Buddy (Entei) @ Choice Band
Ability: Pressure
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Bulldoze
- Iron Head
- Stone Edge

Speaking of strong Fire types, Entei is now a great staple on this team as well. Basically a back-up Victini with a bit of a better coverage, especially in Sacred Fire because it hits anything that it wants to and will probably burn it in the process. Banded Entei is extremely scary, and given the chance it will fuck shit up. It doesn't do it as well as Victini, but nonetheless it does a excellent job at what it does. Could possibly replace this one but I don't see myself doing it, because it's just so good that I'm okay with using it.

only spinner </3 (Torkoal) @ Leftovers
Ability: Shell Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock
- Yawn
- Lava Plume

As the name states, this was the only Fire-type spinner I could find. There wasn't even a Defogger. Oh well, I told myself. It's better than nothing. While Torkoal IS weak to what it's spinning away, it is bulky enough where that extra damage doesn't matter - and this guy takes hits like it's no tommorow. Torkoal's job is simple - get rid of Rocks, maybe Yawn something, and possibly get up own Rocks. And it can usually accomplish this - it's got the bulk to help it live pretty long, not too much in SpD but still. Shell Armor because it's a bit better for a defensive Pokemon, as I don't really care about stat drops. It's all I've got to use, and honestly it doesn't do that bad.

Expand Dong (Darmanitan) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- U-turn

This one's probably one of my best attackers. Darmanitan is a Pokemon that just gets alot of it - good moves, the power to use them, and the body to wear it's Choice Scarf and use it well. In all seriousness, though, this guy's fast and strong. With Flare Blitz, EQ, and etc, it'll be taking out alot of stuff and doing a great job while at it. Gotta go fast, indeedy. U-Turn is used if I don't like something or I want to bring out something else (e.g Charizard or Ninetales) and everything else is just for damage. (Fun fact: for a few matches I did I forgot to give this guy EVs. Whoops.) Probably replacable like Entei, but whatever.

Pussylips (Ninetales) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Drought
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Energy Ball
- Extrasensory

I'm so glad I decided to use Choice Specs Ninetales. This thing is usually my lead - not just to get up sun (which does help) but because Choice Specs Ninetales hits like a TRUCK. Not as hard as anything else on my team does, but WOW is this thing good. Good moveset, 100 speed, and 81 SpA let this thing move fast and hit HARD. I was considering running defensive - but I changed my mind and ran this instead. What a beast this thing is. It's like Specs Politoed - good, but usually nobody runs it. (Run specs Politoed pls)

If you suggest Talonflame for this team, I might not agree with you. It IS a good Pokemon, but I'm kind of past using gimmicky Pokemon like Talonflame. I might use it if I REALLY need to, though. Either way, I'd appreciate any commentary for this team! Thanks much.

Nice team! But I think you should squeeze in e-speed onto your entei, since you lack any form of priority ( 'cause your not running t-flame XD). Also, have you tried assault vest entei? I found it pretty good and you already have a hard-hitter in the form of victini.
Lemme know what you think.

Nice team! But I think you should squeeze in e-speed onto your entei, since you lack any form of priority ( 'cause your not running t-flame XD). Also, have you tried assault vest entei? I found it pretty good and you already have a hard-hitter in the form of victini.
Lemme know what you think.
I'll run ESpeed Entei, and I'll run it with AV. I didn't think of AV, actually - I usually see it on bulkier Pokemon. Could work well, and lets Entei choose.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)