Other OU Player of the Week #1: aim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Approved by alexwolf

Welcome everyone to the first installment of OU’s Player of the Week! This week I decided to interview someone who’s well known by both casuals and Smogonites alike. Aim, also know as PokeaimMD was chosen as our first player of the week! Like every other forum that does this, thisll be a weekly thing where I interview well known players to try and see into their mind a bit. If anyone has any suggestions on who I should interview, feel free to shoot me a PM. Anyways, lets get to it!

aim

Best known for: Getting teams from friends. Making really aggressive plays and using the phrase "hell of a lot" and "I lose nothing from doing that." Also using ':]'

Favorite Pokémon: Suicune

Most used Pokémon: Landorus-t

Where did you get your name from? I was a kid who loved Pokémon and also AOL instant messenger back when it was popular. I joined the Serebii Wi-Fi chat looking for Wi-Fi battles and noticed I needed a name so hey why not pokeaim as it had two things I was known for. I ended up getting recruited by a clan called mass destruction. For some reason my computer didn’t let me put the tag {MD} in the front of my name so I put it in the back and became pokeaim{MD}. aim was a nickname that my clan and most of irc gave me and I liked it so stuck with it.

How did you get into competitive battling? I always loved to wake up early on Saturday mornings to watch Pokémon on KidsWB. Eventually I searched it up on YouTube and found people like NBZ, MTGXerxes, TSP and many others who uploaded Wi-Fi battles. I didn't know Pokémon had a competitive side for dpp. I guess that was foolish of me considering I knew about netbattle from a friend. Eventually I moved to smogon and shoddy battle cause Marriland's old descriptions talked about "if you wanna play people who are better than me" and bam he linked smogon and shoddy and I was there. Used to ladder a hell of a lot. Still do lol.

How did you get into YouTube, and how has it affected you as a battler/person?an old clan mate had a YouTube channel. I had recently purchased an acekard due to a friend so I though, hey, why not upload? This was back in 2010. Who knew that 4 years later I’d gain some popularity haha. Being someone who laddered a lot (back when the ladder was really challenging with all the vets on it) I noticed that YouTube really didn’t have that level of skill or challenge that I wanted. I'm talking about Wi-Fi battles. Now a handful of skilled people upload Pokémon showdown. I wanted to be different. As a competitive battler, I wanted high level matches, predictions, plays, not terrible opponents etc. so I branched out from the Wi-Fi community and started entering smogon tours and such. I guess you can say I really didn't want to be the stereotypical "bad poketuber." So that's how YouTube affected me as a battler, it gave me the drive to be a highly competitive battler who was noticeably different than the rest but could still entertain. Truthfully, I don't find myself entertaining lol. As a person I guess YouTube has paid for dates with my girl lmao. I am pretty good at balancing YT and real life so I guess it's just something that I have integrated into my daily schedule. I enjoy uploading, so I continue to do so even with a job, college, a gf sports etc.

Favorite playstyle? hyper offense and balance. I love HO because it is either you completely dominate your opponent or you lose. The games don't last 5 hours which is my favorite part. I love just dominating with strong Pokémon. At the same time I love balance as having switch ins to Pokémon makes me feel more comfy during a battle. IT also allows me to make riskier plays if needed since my opponent knows I have a check or counter to the Pokémon they have out.

What ou players you look up to the most? hugooooooo or gr8astard. He's a longtime friend and an amazing builder/battler. The way he plays is just beautiful to watch. If he has team matchup you can't beat him unless you hax. He makes the play that puts him in a position where he doesn’t have to predict. Another thing I admire about him is that he makes a certain cool set or idea into reality on a well-built team. Other tourney players like ctc bloo mcm mdragon bkc and plenty more are all people I respect.

If I could change ou: honestly I like the meta how it is right now. With oras coming I would like aegi back though. Mega mence, even though it'll be ou for two weeks tops, scares me.

Any advice for players who are newer to the XY OU tier? learn what Pokémon do. Knowledge is power. Don't give up after you lose. You learn more from a loss than a win. Watching top players who can explain their plays can also help you learn.

Finally, is there a team that you could show us that reflects your playstyle that is a good fit for this metagame with a brief explanation of how it works?

Crawdaunt @ Life Orb
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 8 HP / 252 Atk / 16 Def / 232 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Crabhammer
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off

Garchomp @ Lum Berry
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 12 Def / 244 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Superpower
- U-turn
- Stone Edge

Azumarill @ Assault Vest
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 232 HP / 252 Atk / 16 SpD / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Superpower
- Play Rough
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall

Gengar @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Sludge Wave
- Taunt
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast

Manectric @ Manectite
Ability: Lightningrod
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Overheat

Here's a team that I have been using a lot made by my boy HUGOOOOOOOOO!! It revolves around SD Crawdaunt. With adaptibility this thing is a threat. +2 Knock off k0's max hp azumarill 100% of the time with stealth rock up. Scarf Lando-t + Mega Manectric form a nice volt turn core that helps this team a lot vs bird spam. Superpower is chosen over knock off on lando as Mega Gyarados is a problem if it sets up. Azumarill is the glue that helps with switching into greninja, zard x and lati twins. SD Lum garchomp is a nice lead for stealth rock and it also helps cover the venusaur weakness. Taunt 3 atks gengar shuts down a lot of stall and helps with Clefable who can otherwise be annoying to the team. It's an auto pilot team really. Set up sr, volturn out into crawdaunt or gengar and hit hard.

----

You can check out aim's YouTube channel here. Once again, Id like to thank aim for doing this and giving this project a strong start. See you next week!

zbr

less than 99% acc = never hit
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
hyper offense and balance. I love HO because it is either you completely dominate your opponent or you lose. The games don't last 5 hours which is my favorite part. I love just dominating with strong Pokémon. At the same time I love balance as having switch ins to Pokémon makes me feel more comfy during a battle. IT also allows me to make riskier plays if needed since my opponent knows I have a check or counter to the Pokémon they have out.
What makes joey's lives a lot more enjoyable is actually his misplays and how he bounces back [: Major Joey fanboy here and his "going for the best play" and "only predict when you have to" advices have been really helpful. Thanks PokeaimMD for the great content C:

What was it like collaborating with world renowned Youtuber Etika World Network?

How do you feel about Hugo losing to some top tier Pokemon Youtubers like MapCrimsonCobra? A man who changed the entire BW Ubers mentality with his amazing Palkia set?

aim

pokeaimMD
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
What was it like collaborating with world renowned Youtuber Etika World Network?

How do you feel about Hugo losing to some top tier Pokemon Youtubers like MapCrimsonCobra? A man who changed the entire BW Ubers mentality with his amazing Palkia set?

The video is here btw:
Excellent questions! To answer the first, look at my avatar! Lol it was fun. As for the second one well he is a top tier player @ crimz so expected ~

What's your opinion on the state of the current ladder? and has the OLT improved it at all?

Do you plan on making more "educational" videos at all, where you focus less on battling/winning and more on why you do what you do, in an attempt to teach the viewers?

On a scale from n00b to CTC, how good do you think you are at teambuilding?

EDIT: What's the reasoning for the "asdfdsafadsjkl" at the beginning of every video description?

Last edited:

aim

pokeaimMD
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
What's your opinion on the state of the current ladder? and has the OLT improved it at all?

Do you plan on making more "educational" videos at all, where you focus less on battling/winning and more on why you do what you do, in an attempt to teach the viewers?

On a scale from n00b to CTC, how good do you think you are at teambuilding?

EDIT: What's the reasoning for the "asdfdsafadsjkl" at the beginning of every video description?
Honestly, the ladder is alright. I think during the middle weeks of OLT not many people are playing but towards the last two weeks I know that everyone who really really wants to make tour will try really hard so should be a nice ladder.

I do plan on making more videos like that haha usually any tour video I will break down all my moves and why i did them as opposed to a live or wifi battle where everything happens quickly. Plus I plan on making team building videos and move set videos in the future.

I'm not good at team building haha because I don't try to team build. The most I do is scout opponents and find weaknesses and relay them to a competent builder. Or i'll think of a cool set and once again relay it to someone whom I know can make that set into a solid team. If I do try and build for real i'm sure i'd be okay at it. I just prefer picking up and playing or counterstyling to actually building a solid team.

Sometimes i just feel like that sahdaiuhsiduhasiuhdiuf lol so it just became a part of my videos

How confident are you in winning the Grand Slam? Who would you say your toughest opponents would be in the playoffs? What tiers do you think you'll perform the best in?

What do you need to do in order to be a good OU player overall? And what did you do to get to the position that you are in right now?

aim

pokeaimMD
How confident are you in winning the Grand Slam? Who would you say your toughest opponents would be in the playoffs? What tiers do you think you'll perform the best in?
gonna try my best. i have a bunch of my teams ready for it. toughest opponents? everyone who is a friend since a bunch of us made play offs. most likely ubers haha

What do you need to do in order to be a good OU player overall? And what did you do to get to the position that you are in right now?
practice. lots of practice and reading and watching. know what pokemon do in the tier that you play. watch people who are better than you to learn. find your playstyle. i lost a lot lol. a lot a lot and i still lose but i dont give up

Are you aware that most of your teams are spammed in the ladder? It doesn't bother you at all when one uses your team?
i am aware haha part of being a "famous youtuber." i mean it doesnt bother me really and im sure my friends dont mind since their teams are being popularized. the only thing that bugs me and my friends is when they claim the teams as their own

btw -Clone- gonna give you the shout out on wednesday. didnt realize i had stuff scheduled for tomorrow and tuesday

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)