OU Player of the Week #27: FLCL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Banner by Skarm™

Welcome to OU's Player of the week, a project where I interview well known players to gain insight on how they battle, as well as get to know some things about them. The goal of this thread is to have these high level players give insight to other players in this community in hopes of creating a better overall experience in the OU environment. As always, if there's someone you'd like to see interviewed, feel free to shoot me a PM. So without further ado, lets get to it! See my status for my excuse as to why this week's edition was late D:

FLCL

Most Known For:
Playing NU and being a weaboo

Favorite Pokemon:
Rotom

Most used Pokemon:
Rotom

Where did you get your name from?
It's one of my favorite anime

How and when did you get into competitive battling?
I stumbled upon Smogon back in 2008 or 2009 while looking for in-game information about Pokemon and stuff. The idea of playing on a simulator and being able to use anything you want intrigued me and it wasn't long before I started messing around on Shoddybattle. At first I was pretty occupied with other games and only laddered sporadically in various DPP tiers, until eventually I got bored with said games. Despite my join date, I only started posting and becoming active in the community in early 2012, althought I did lurk a lot before. I dabbed a bit with RU and NU before finally settling into the latter tier

How do you feel about how ORAS plays compared to XY?
I don't remember a whole lot about late XY, but I think it was overrun with Greninja and Bisharp offense and was generally a pretty shitty metagame to play, so ORAS definitely brought some nice changes. However, I think the current ORAS metagame is really matchup related due to various Pokemon such as Metagross, Altaria, Manaphy, etc. which can really punish the opponent if they don't have solid answers to them

To add onto the above, thoughts on the team matchup issue?
It can't be helped unless a lot of bans are made, which isn't the way to go in my opinion. More Pokemon means more things to deal with and that's just something players will have to get used to going into the future. With that being said, team matchup doesn't just turn games into 50/50's like some would imply. Good players using good teams will win the majority of the time

What are your thoughts on the Aegislash suspect test currently going on? What about the proposed King's Shield Ban?
I don't feel like the metagame has gotten any different since the last time Aegislash was around, but I didn't find it to be that big of a deal personally. As for the King's Shield ban, it will nerf Aegislash considerably, probably to the point where it won't be that effective

What's your favorite playstyle and why?
I don't really have a prefered playstyle, but I like to use teams where I can get the upper hand easily, through making predictions, so probably something with hard hitters (either bulky offense or HO)

What's your favorite generation of OU and why?
Recently I've enjoyed playing DPP and ADV OU, as they are interesting tiers and the lack of team preview makes things exciting

How do you go about preparing for tournament matches? Does the process differ depending on the tournament?
I'm very lazy and a lot of my losses come from lack of preparation more than anything. I generally just pick a team I like and stick with it while doing as little test games as possible

Favorites to win OST and Smogon Tour?
Previously Style but I don't think that's very likely anymore due to certain events that have occured so I'll say WhiteQueen. For Smogon Tour there's always yearly favorites like Ojama and Heist but I think top Youtuber PDC has been doing pretty good lately, so I'll go with him

Thoughts on the newly introduced Smogon Classic? Favorite to win?
It's pretty cool :D! Hard to pick a winner since theres so many tiers, but McMeghan is as solid as they get

If you could change one thing about OU, what would it be and why?
Ban Manaphy

Do you have any advice for newer players for playing, and for Smogon in general?
One thing I really enjoyed doing when I was new was reading RMTs and it helped me a lot teambuilding wise. Also if you often feel as if you have no clue what you're doing then you should ladder more. It might not be the most pleasant experience, but it takes time to get good at this game. Not everyone can be a Style!

If you could change one thing about Smogon as a whole to make it better, what would it be and why?
Stop being mean to each other D:

What players do you look up to / are good friends with?
There's a lot of people I talk to on irc and skype that deserve a shoutout here. Shoutouts to you guys!!!!! :D

But two people I'd really like to give props to are Raseri and Zebraiken who've been my friends since I first joined the Smogon community. Thanks for sticking around in this sucky place with me for so many years :D

Finally, can you provide us a team that's a good fit for this metagame and reflects your playstyle, with a brief explanation of how it works?

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Ice Fang

Manectric @ Manectite
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Overheat

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Brave Bird
- Spikes
- Whirlwind
- Roost

Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Reflect Type
- Rapid Spin
- Recover

Victini @ Choice Band
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- Zen Headbutt

Tornadus-Therian (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave

A pretty bulky team based around hazard stacking and pivoting around and getting kills with Victini. It deals with Pokemon such as Metagross, Diance, and Manaphy better than most other balance teams.

--

There it is. If you have any questions for FLCL, leave em down below. See you next week!

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Y no Sand Force Hippo if ur using Hurricane Torn-T?

Last edited:
Favorite Gainax anime other than FLCL (unless it's no longer your favorite)?

How did you manage to earn the title of weaboo on a competitive Pokemon site?

From what I can tell, DPP has a greater emphasis on lead match-up to the point where necessitates a separate viability list for leads for DPP. I know you like the lack of team preview, but how do you feel about the lead match-up that results from it?

DarkNostalgia

Fading in, fading out, on the edge of paradise
is a Contributor Alumnus
Why would you ban Manaphy?

Thoughts on toradora?

Who would win in a fight, you or Style?

e: removed upon request
DN Edit: sorry if it was too touchy, i didn't mean to :(

Last edited:
Is there any particular order that you like to order your moves in the movesets you create?

On a scale of 1-10, how cute would you rate Rotom?

Least favorite tier?

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender
top 10 animu of all time (excluding pico franchise)
1. tatami
2. jinrui wa suitai shimashita
3. flcl
4. evangelion
5. ping pong
6. ichigo mashimaro
7. milky holmes s1 and 2
8. nisemonogatari
9. darker than black s1
10. sayonara zetsubou sensei/k-on/saki/
Y no Sand Force Hippo if ur using Hurricane Torn-T?
hi
Favorite Gainax anime other than FLCL (unless it's no longer your favorite)?

How did you manage to earn the title of weaboo on a competitive Pokemon site?

From what I can tell, DPP has a greater emphasis on lead match-up to the point where necessitates a separate viability list for leads for DPP. I know you like the lack of team preview, but how do you feel about the lead match-up that results from it?
eva

probably from my endless stream on anime avatars

well there is lead matchup in bw and oras too, but the lead matchup in dpp is emphasized by the fact that it's harder to gain back the momentum when you don't know the opponents team, which makes it more important. it's pretty much a matter of team matchup which is something u can't really avoid in pokemon

Why would you ban Manaphy?

Thoughts on toradora?

Who would win in a fight, you or Style?

e: removed upon request
DN Edit: sorry if it was too touchy, i didn't mean to :(
because it's too strong

it's alright

nice meme, but i don't fight women

Is there any particular order that you like to order your moves in the movesets you create?

On a scale of 1-10, how cute would you rate Rotom?

Least favorite tier?
set up moves first then most important attacks

bw2 ou because i suck at it (i'll ignore historical tiers such as bw2 nu jynx meta but that was the worst)

hurricane is 50% accurate in sandstorm.

e: oh nvm my mistake only in sun.
bye

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)