1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

OU Projects and Hub Page Center

Discussion in 'BW OU' started by Birkal, Sep 21, 2012.

1. Absolete

Absolete

I've had this idea for a while, and would love to head it up, buuut what about an anti metagame gimmick challenge? This would be where people build teams around a strategy that isn't viable against every team (a gimmick) and structures a team to defeat the common OU strategies. Players would then race to achieve a rating, while also discussing the holes in their strategy and allowing further input. I think this would be a great way to explore different areas of the metagame as a collective and not just single players at a time. The strategies would be ones such as Trick Room, Gravity, Wonder Room, Baton Pass, etc. Strategies that are well known and little used, but may have a way to be devised into strategies that defeat the common rain, sun, and hyper offensive teams that are oh-so-dominant in today's metagame.
  2. Pocket

Pocket GOJIRA
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
    Doubles Co-Leader

Joeyboy, thanks for volunteering to host mini-tours!~ We definitely like a Kyurem-B mini-tour very soon to ramp up for the next suspect testing phase! Make sure to brainstorm some more ideas and run it through us OU mods. Can you get this mini-tour running?
  3. DGX

DGX

i'll help u guys out

Pocket EDIT: plz be more specific as to how you would like to help
  4. Electrolyte

Electrolyte For every king that died, oh, they would crown another
    is an official Team Rateris a Contributor to Smogonis a Battle Server Moderator
    Mentor

Ok, after discussing with some of the OU mods, I have determined that I will be restarting OU CCAT. This will be hosted by me, with the occasional interjection of some of the OU moderators when necessary.

EDIT: It will be up tomorrow at the latest
  5. Jukain

Jukain fuck redew
    is a Smogon Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
    Mentor

epic i will participate!
  6. alexwolf

alexwolf King of Conquerors
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon

Lovely! Thx for taking the responsibility to do this Electrolyte!
  7. ClubbingSealCub

ClubbingSealCub

Electrolyte4prez! Looking forward to that.
  8. NixHex

NixHex A new vice president erryday to keep me busy
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Contributor to Smogonis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Eagerly awaiting your project. Good luck, Electrolyte!
  9. Superpowerdude

Superpowerdude otters are cute imo
    is an official Team Rateris a Smogon Media Contributor
    Mentor

Cheers Electrolyte i will try and activly participate in this one
  10. Birkal

Birkal CAW
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Battle Server Administratoris an Artistis a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
    Mentor Leader

A new announcement went up! Check it out here. Remember, anyone is allowed to write up an announcement on anything related to Overused. Just write it in this thread and we'll get it up in the announcements and on site.

Also, there is going to be some back up very soon in terms of getting content on site. Stay tuned over the next few days to see what exciting new things are going to happen with the Overused Hub page. I think you guys will like the upcoming additions =)

On a slightly sadder note, for those of you that can see the SCMS, I am sure that you can see me working on a project sub-page for the Overused hub. Unfortunately, we can't add it just yet because someone COUGHNIXHEXCOUGHCOUGH created a /projects/ page first under the Overused section. We have to wait for it to be expelled from the trash bin before we can get project pages up and running. Sorry for the inconvenience! Project stuff onsite will just need to wait for a few more weeks.
  11. alkinesthetase

alkinesthetase <@dtc> every day with alk is a bad day
    is a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnus

ooh birkal don't forget the CCAT being hosted by electrolyte, i guess i could write something quick but i don't really have any official ties to it, and i can hardly remember the previous CCATs anyway =/
  12. Electrolyte

Electrolyte For every king that died, oh, they would crown another
    is an official Team Rateris a Contributor to Smogonis a Battle Server Moderator
    Mentor

Thanks for the reminder Alk.

OU CCAT is up, and is hosted by me! Come join our discussion, and help the community create a five star team! A new bonus point system has been implemented, and hopefully we'll see more action. Click on the link to check it out!
  13. Birkal

Birkal CAW
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Battle Server Administratoris an Artistis a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
    Mentor Leader

[​IMG]

New announcement! It contains some pretty exciting news about award community members with badges for their work, so check it out in the second page of this thread and on the hub page.

Remember, any of you guys can make an announcement! Just post it in this thread and I'll get it up on site lickity-split.
  14. Jukain

Jukain fuck redew
    Mentor

Mathematics Geniuses, Unite!

Mathematics is taking over the OU forum with some great questions posed by Great Sage! There are three problems, each with many steps and requiring the use of high level mathematics. There's more, however, in that if you solve a problem correctly and write it up in a way that it can be put on-site, there are many rewards on the table, including badges. Users poccil and Antar have solved the third problem, breh is working on 2, alkinesthetase has solved 1a, and ganj41f has offered a simulation of 1b, but there is still a lot more left to figure out and the rewards can be heavy, so go for it! The thread can be found here.
  15. alkinesthetase

alkinesthetase <@dtc> every day with alk is a bad day
    is a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnus

don't forget that breh was working on problem 2 and ganj4lf provided a simulation for problem 1b (not a theoretical solution, but still worth observing)

16. Jukain

Jukain fuck redew
    Mentor

ty alkinesthetase, my post is updated to reflect your changes
  17. Superpowerdude

Mentor

I am thinking of hosting an "OU Pokemon of the Week" project much like NU's version once i get this going i think it would be pretty cool to have up on the hub. Thoughts?
  18. Pocket

Pocket GOJIRA
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
    Doubles Co-Leader

Superpowerdude, do you have any incentives on mind? Jellicent hosts "RU Pokemon of the Week" and identifies the "Best Discussion / Poster" and "Most Creative Poster" for each PotW. It would be nice to record them, etc.
  19. Superpowerdude

Mentor

Ok that sounds interasting i will do a "Best Poster Of The Week" and put them in the op i don't really want to think up specific incentives like "Most creative poster of the week" atm because i dont know what people contributions would be like but after the project is under way i will determine wether or not to have a "most creative poster of the week" if that makes sense. I may also change it up a bit from other tiers Pokemon of the Week by awarding points for good posters to encourage good discussion. I will try and have it up by today if not tommorow if that is ok with you?

Edit: on second thoughts i will do a "most creative poster" right off the get go becausr i think it will encourage people to post more so they can get some points
  20. Pocket

Pocket GOJIRA
    Doubles Co-Leader

I think OU Hub is the perfect place to showcase the many wonderful OU RMTs that Dark Horse tends to generate - major thanks to all participants who have made this DHP the biggest success as of date!

This isn't exactly an announcement; just wanted to book-keep these RMTs. If I missed anyone's RMT, let me know :d

Jimbon's Weird Fish - [​IMG]

Lady Alex's Dreaming of Meteor Showers - [​IMG]

LucaroarkZ's The Illusion Fox Pokemon - [​IMG]

ganj4lf's HOutsiders - [​IMG]

Ninelol's Boss and Boots! - [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

ClubbingSealCubs's Dune Walkers - [​IMG] [​IMG]

Absolete's Celestial Beings - [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

ssbm's 6 Dark Horses - [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Electrolyte's Songs About Jane - [​IMG]

The Great Mighty Doom's Canine Carnage - [​IMG]
  21. ClubbingSealCub

ClubbingSealCub

Pocket how could you, my name is ClubbibgSealCub :(

Your nick is terrible! - Pocket

EDIT: now you're just asking for a clubbing
  22. Jukain

Jukain fuck redew
    Mentor

The history of bans has been updated with the recent unbanning of Garchomp. It is here in this very thread for those of you that are too lazy do not wish to scroll down page 1 and find it.

EDIT: Also, I think we should have a section that links to all previous Smogcasts in order to help people who are less knowledgeable about our lovely OU tier. I will put it into this post shortly.

EDIT2: here ya go -

NOTE: I'm thinking of putting it into html because it will look much better if I mark it up with html (headers, paragraphs, lists, et cetera) than with BBCode. It's just something I'm noticing. Thoughts?

ah it's in html screw it, trying to make headings with bbcode is too annoying.

stuff (open)

[title]OU Smogcasts[/title]
    Are you looking to become more knowledgeable about OU or want to know about the state of the metagame at different points in time? The best place to start is the Smogcast, a podcast about the current state of the OU metagame. Below are links to all episodes of the Smogcast focused on any period of BW OU, with some information about the topics, lengths, et cetera included as well.

Note: All Smogcasts can be downloaded on iTunes and Zune Marketplace, just go on your respective program and search "Smogcast"

The Smogcast - Episode 6

Subject matter: The major changes to Pokemon in general brought by BW, the 10 new Pokemon that sounded the most threatening, the new items, the new game mechanics, and the Dream World were discussed.

Hosts: cim and Seven Deadly Sins

Panelists: Lee, Rising_Dusk, and Deck Knight

Length: 2:18:34

Links:

The Smogcast - Episode 8

Subject matter: Round 1 of suspect testing, its results, and what happened shortly thereafter were the topics discussed.

Hosts: Seven Deadly Sins and cim

Panelists: Elevator Music and JabbaTheGriffin

Length: 1:37:38

Note: there is some strong language in this episode, so use discretion

Links:

The Smogcast - Episode 9

Subject matter: Reuniclus's impact on the metagame, the resurgence of Dragon-types, weather wars, and the genie trio (Tornadus, Thundurus, and Landorus) were the topics discussed.

Host: Seven Deadly Sins

Panelists: JabbaTheGriffin, locopoke, and idiotfrommars

Links:

The Smogcast - Episode 14

Subject matter: The Sand Veil and Snow Cloak ban, Garchomp, Genesect, Keldeo, the Therian formes, Pokemon that dropped from OU to UU, underrated movesets, and more were the topics discussed.

Host: MikeDecIsHere

Panelists: idiotfrommars, locopoke, and Lavos Spawn

Length: 47:03

Link: YouTube

played around with bbcode and now it's in that
  23. Pocket

Pocket GOJIRA
    Doubles Co-Leader

24. Jukain

Jukain fuck redew
    Mentor

history of bans is updated with cube, js.

EDIT: oh and btw watched the game pocket posted, nice game guys!
  25. Ithilanor

Ithilanor

Not sure if this is the right place to ask about this, but is there any chance of getting a warstory of this battle?

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)