1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

OU Rain Dance Team

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by Smeargle Fan, Dec 3, 2009.

1. Smeargle Fan

Smeargle Fan

Crobat (M) @ Damp Rock
    Ability: Inner Focus
    EVs: 252 HP/6 Atk/252 Spd
    Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Rain Dance
    - Taunt
    - U-turn
    - Hypnosis

My Rain Dance lead. Taunt for SR and sleepers. Hypnosis for dangerous pokes- weather changers specifically. U-turn breaks Focus Sashes that seem to be everywhere. This guy comes in later to set up rain again or to sleep someone who has gotten too many Swords Dances/Calm Minds. Very nice- a rain lead that can set it up multiple times.
    ---
    Kingdra (M) @ Life Orb
    Ability: Swift Swim
    EVs: 244 HP/12 Spd/252 SAtk
    Modest nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
    - Surf
    - Rain Dance/?
    - Ice Beam
    - Draco Meteor

My best rain sweeper. Most have this mixed, but I prefer not too. Surf for the main attack, Ice Beam for Dragons and Grass, Draco Meteor for Latias and Waters. I have used Rain Dance a total of three times, but what else is possible? Very good defensively, for about 30 battles I did not have the HP EVs and did not even notice. Life Orb for power and ability to switch attacks.
    ---
    Kabutops (M) @ Life Orb
    EVs: 204 HP/252 Atk/52 Spd
    Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Waterfall
    - Aqua Jet
    - Stone Edge
    - X-Scissor
    My physical rain sweeper. Speed EVs beat Scarfed Heatran in the rain. Waterfall is my main attack, Aqua Jet picks off weakened pokemon. Stone Edge OHKOs Gyrados even after Intimidate. X-Scissor beats Celebi and is my non-water 100% accuracy move. Life Orb for power and attack switching. This guy uses Aqua Jet more than one would think. Choice Scarf on fast pokemon are usually beaten by Kabutops.

---
    Azumarill (M) @ Choice Band
    Ability: Huge Power
    EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/6 Def
    Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Waterfall
    - Ice Punch
    - Aqua Jet
    - Superpower

Azumarill is the most overlooked rain dance team member IMHO. Banded Aqua Jet OHKOs weak pokemon-without rain. With rain, it is my main attack. Azumarill wins-as in makes the final KO- more than anyone else. Waterfall is if I must kill something this turn or I am faster. Ice Punch is for Dragons. Superpower is for the Blisseys and Heatrans of the world. This thing hurts pretty much anything very badly. Choice Band is for max power on Aqua Jet since I am without Swift Swim.
    ---
    Ludicolo (M) @ Life Orb
    EVs: 4 HP/252 Spd/252 SAtk
    - Surf
    - Ice Beam
    - Grass Knot
    - Toxic

My secondary special sweeper. It resists ground,which is why it replaced Omastar. Surf-power, Ice Beam-Dragon/Grass, Grass Knot is for Waters not named Vaporeon. Toxic is for Vaporeon. Vaporeon walls this team COLD without Toxic on Ludiculo. Not much else other than choose the best move and attack.
    ---
    Jirachi @ Damp Rock
    Ability: Serene Grace
    EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/6 SDef
    Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Rain Dance
    - Thunder
    - Water Pulse
    - Wish

My secondary rain dancer. Wish for healing, RD is obvious. Two moves to attack, so I use parafusion. Jirachi has beaten four pokemon by himself before, so it really is useful for more than Rain Dance. Thunder and Water Pulse really help with stopping pokemon while I set up Rain Dance. Defense EVs help it take Earthquakes.
    ---
    Overview-Very powerful yet walled by Vaporeon. I would like any suggestions on how to stop Vaporeon. Only two dedicated Rain Dancers, but I have never run out of rain while both Crobat and Jirachi are KO'd. I do not have Stealth Rock since I OHKO most pokemon anyway, but I may consider it if there is something important that SR would help against. No mixed sets but I never have regretted that.
    Deoxymoron likes this.
  2. MrIndigo

MrIndigo

I would put Stealth Rock over Water Pulse on Jirachi, and make it your lead.

One potential problem I see is that without Rain, a lot of your team is subpar. Kabutops also fills a very similar role to Azumarill, which I think is redundant, you might want to change that to a mixed sweeper to diversify somewhat.
  3. shrang

shrang Go to your room
    is a Contributor to Smogonis a Battle Server Moderatoris a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

You need another Rain inducer. I'd suggest Rotom-W over Azumarill (You do not need 4 sweepers, and having Choice Band means you'll waste precious turns switching in and out), so you can switch into Explosions and stuff without losing a Pokemon.

Rotom-w @ Damp Rock
    Ability: Levitate
    EVs: 252 HP/4 Def/252 Spd
    - Thunder
    - Rain Dance
    - Hydro Pump
    - Hidden Power Ice/Shadow Ball

I'd also suggest that you change Kingdra's set to the Mixed set, because you already have Ludicolo to dish out a lot of damage on the Special side, and using Kingdra to soften up walls mean that Kabutops and Ludicolo can sweep easier late-game. Here's the set:

Kingdra @ Life Orb
    EVs: 252 Atk/16 Spd/240 SAtk
    Naughty nature (+Atk, -SDef)
    - Hydro Pump
    - Draco Meteor
    - Waterfall
    - Signal Beam

As you can see, this set does not carry Rain Dance, and relies on your Rain Dancers to get it up. Hydro Pump and Waterfall both do massive damage under the Rain, and Draco Meteor gives amazing coverage and power. Signal Beam is there to kill those annoying Starmie and Celebi that think they can stop you.

Also some minor fixes:
    Swift Swimming Ludicolo should never carry Toxic, ever. It's job is to sweep, not to stall. Yes, I know you are worried about Vaporeon, but poisoning it means you've already lost huge momentum that you cannot afford to lose in a Rain team (Vaporeon also got Heal Bell in HG/SS, so in some cases, it is absolutely useless). If you are really concerned about Vaporeon, replace Grass Knot with Energy Ball to hit it harder, and replace Toxic with Hidden Power Electric to kill off Gyarados that think they can switch in and set up on you.

Have fun and good day.
  4. EspyJoel

EspyJoel Espy <3
    is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Hi.

Your using way too much bulk on most of your sweepers. With all the Choice Scarf users around, this isn't worth the loss of Speed.

On Kabutops use 32 HP / 252 Atk / 224 Spe (you hit LO number and outrun +Speed base 100s). Also use Swords Dance / Waterfall / Stone Edge / Aqua Jet. This makes for a deadly set. This Kabutops is among the things which makes rd so scary.

If you want an all special set on Kingdra just use 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe with Surf / Dragon Pulse / Signal Beam / Hidden Power Electric. This speed means you outspeed even +1 Timid Latias / Gengar, and also Speed tying with other Kingdra is important.

On Jirachi, use 252 HP / 80 SpA / 176 Spe with Timid nature, and change Water Pulse for Stealth Rock. The extra speed and more power of Thunder will be helpful, and you really need Stealth Rock somewhere as this extra damage really helps both Kabutops and Kingdra sweep.

Now on Ludicolo, replace Toxic with Focus Punch, and Grass Knot with Energy Ball and use Rash nature, 60 Atk / 252 SpA / 196 Spe. This will give you an easier time against both Blissey and Energy Ball means you can still deal with Vaporeon.

Lastly, like already said, you should replace Azumarill. Choice users are pretty much no go on rd teams as they waste precious rd turns. Lets say they switch in Vaporeon on a Water-type attack, it can waste three turns or more (the turn it siwtched in, the turn you switch out and then Protect, etc). Therefore, I would change Azumarill to Starmie. It can abuse both boosted Water-type attacks and a 100% accurate Thunder, easily sets up rd on Heatran and Infernape, something your two main ones fail to do and can Recover its health, I would use Timid, holding Damp Rock, 252 HP / 40 SpA / 216 Spe and Rain Dance / Recover / Surf / Thunder.

Anyway, hope this helps and good luck with your team :)
  5. oOsymphonyxOo

oOsymphonyxOo

If you ever find a player running attract competitively, I'll run through my school naked and hump the superintendent.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)