1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

OU Rain Stall Team

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by tamor911, Aug 20, 2012.

1. tamor911

tamor911

Rain Stall Team

[​IMG]
    Politoed
    @ Leftovers
    Trait: Drizzle

EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef​

Bold Nature
    - Scald
    - Protect
    - Perish Song
    - Focus Blast​

As a permanent rain summoner, Politoed is the foundation of my team. I decided to run a more defensive set, as this is a stall team and he has excellent special defense to back it up. Scald furthers this with a 30% chance to burn. Protect is good for giving an extra turn of leftovers healing and burn damage. Perish song is good for both phazing boosting sweepers and for getting rid of any pokemon when they have one pokemon remaining. And of course we can't forget Focus Blast, despite it's disappointingly low accuracy. It's excellent for shutting down Tyranitar, another whether stater that can cause problems for me.
    [​IMG]
    Ferrothorn
    @ Leftovers​
    Trait: Iron Barbs

EVs: 88 Def / 252 HP / 168 SDef

Relaxed Nature
    IVs: 0 Spd
    - Leech Seed
    - Protect
    - Stealth Rock
    - Gyro Ball

Ferrothorn is the best defensive wall on my team, and it does a great job at taking attacks from dragon types, which is something that the rest of my team doesn't do quite as well. Leech seed is an excellent addition, since I get extra recovery from it and it decreases the life span of opponents. Stealth rock is stealth rock is stealth rock, it does good passive damage on the switch in. Gyro ball is a good STAB move that I can use to deal extra damage when Leech Seed isn't enough. Protect of course gives me an extra turn of leftovers recovery/leech seed.​
    [​IMG]
    Tentacruel
    @ Black Sludge​
    Trait: Rain Dish​

EVs: 240 Def / 252 HP / 16 Spd​

Bold Nature
    - Toxic Spikes
    - Knock Off
    - Rapid Spin
    - Scald​

Tentacruel is a pretty awesome bulky water type, especially since it has Toxic Spikes. After putting that on him, I was able to remove Toxic from some of my other pokemon to use something else for utility. Knock off is useful for getting rid of the Leftovers from opposing stall teams, and crippling sweepers by removing Life Orb or Choice items. Rapid spin is great to get rid of Stealth Rock and other hazards, since they severely hamper Dragonite's ability to use Multiscale. Scald is a great STAB move for any bulky water type, of course.
    [​IMG]
    Dragonite
    @ Leftovers
    Trait: Multiscale

EVs: 252 HP / 108 SAtk / 148 SDef​

Calm Nature
    - Roost
    - Hurricane
    - Dragon Tail
    - Thunder​

I decided to take a less conventional approach, not taking advantage of his natural high base attack. Since Hurricane and Thunder both get their accuracy boosted to 100% in the rain, they were great choices to add to him. Hurricane is great against any grass types that may threaten my team, and having STAB makes it hit ridiculously hard. Thunder puts huge dents in other water types that I can't quite damage as hard as I'd like. Roost is awesome because that can easily get him to max hp, and that allows Multiscale to take effect. With that on, I can easily eat an Ice-type attack and still have a solid amount of health left over. Dragon Tail does decent damage, as well as phaze out boosting sweepers that have been known to give my team a hard time. Overall, Dragonite is a great bulky-damage dealer that my team couldn't survive without.

[​IMG]

Gastrodon ​
    @ Leftovers​
    Trait: Storm Drain​

EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 Def

Calm Nature
    - Earth Power
    - Recover
    - Ice beam
    - Protect​

The original Pokemon that I had planned to use in this spot was Vaporeon, but it wasn't much different from Politoed being a pure water type, and also constantly getting one-shotted by electric attacks. So therefore, I decided that I needed something to take electric attacks well, and Gastrodon was the best pokemon to fill that niche. Earth Power is a great STAB move that rips any opposing electric types to shreds. Of course, they often predict that and switch to a flying type, which is why I now carry Ice Beam. Nothing's funnier than watching them switch to Gliscor expecting to be safe, and then being crippled by an unexpected Ice Beam. Recover is great, of course, to prolong Gastrodon's longevity. Then Protect, of course. You can't really beat that as far as a move slot for a bulky pokemon.

[​IMG]
    Ludicolo
    @ Leftovers
    Trait: Rain Dish

EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SDef

Bold Nature
    - Substitute
    - Scald
    - Leech Seed
    - Protect

And last, but certainly not least, we have Ludicolo, the Pokemon that has made gown men cry. When I saw the possibility of using a SubSeed set with Rain Dish, I couldn't resist it. Basically just your generic SubSeed for a grass-type, plus the extra recovery from Rain Dish. With all of this, I get to use Substitutes for free. Protect lets him gain a full fourth of his health if I need to, and then scald can burn for even more damage to speed up the process of the foe's demise.​
  2. morningsun

morningsun

Thread can and will be locked due to extreme lack of descriptions. Read the rules before posting.
  3. Superpowerdude

Superpowerdude otters are cute imo
    is an official Team Rateris a Smogon Media Contributor
    Mentor

Hey man nice looking rain stall team you have here and welcome to smogon!

I can see Specs Tornadus-T being a little troublesome to this team as with no Flying-Type resist Tornadus-T can outspeed al your team members and proceed to spam Hurricane quite easily even Ferrothorn is 2hko'ed by Hurricane from the Specs variant and Gastrodon won't take a Grass Knot very well. The fact that Specs Tornadus-T can take out both your main walls i suggest running Specially Defensive Jirachi>Gastrodon Jirachi gives you a nice resist to Tornadus's Hurricane as well as a pokemon that fits your stalling needs perfectly. For one he can learn Stealth Rock making you able to use Spikes>Stealth Rock on Ferrothorn. With all three versions of entry hazards your team becomes alot more dangerous for Volt-Turn teams and other weather teams to deal with your seeing as they will be taking alot of damage on every switch in. Jirachi also preforms invaluable support for your team in the form of Wish. Wish grants your Jirachi and your team free healing from the damage you receive helping your team stay healthy and stall more. The loss of Gastrordon isn't to bad although you lose a electric immunity you still gain a great special wall and a pokemon that fits perfectly to your stalling needs.

Also regarding your Tentacruel i suggest Protect>Knock Off While Knock Off is nice for getting rid of your opponents items Toxic Spikes damage will be building up enough that Leftovers aren't really doing much on your opponents pokemon and while Knock Off knocks of choice itesm Protect still screws over choice attackers because you then know what they are locked into. with Protect you get a free 12.5 percent health gain which is vital to a team that relies on Tentacruel to spin hazards for Dragonite and stall your opponent with Toxic Spikes honestly Protect and Rain Dish are the reasons why Tentacruel is OU.

Good luck with your team though i hope i helped you!

Sets
    Show Hide

[​IMG]
    Jirachi @ Leftovers | Serene Grace
    Careful| 252 Hp/ 4 Def / 252 Sp Def
    Stealth Rock| Wish | Body Slam | Iron Head

tl;dr
    Show Hide

Jirachi--->Gastrodon

Ferrothorn
    .Spikes--->Stealth Rock

Tentacruel
    .Protect--->Knock Off

~Superpowerdude

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)