1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

OU Sand Team.

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by Vega07, Apr 20, 2012.

1. Vega07

Vega07

So this is the first of a few teams I intend to post. This one came to exist because it is basically filled with a group of great pokemon that I favorite over others. Its a concept is of a Sandstorm Team, though that was not exactly my intent when I began making a team.

[​IMG]So first up Tyranitar. The lead of the team and my way to cause permanent Sandstorms. Power house attack and coverage help Tyranitar try to ruin other people's leads. This may not seem so important because of Team Previewing, but even if he comes out later than first he can still set this team in the right direction.
    Ability: Sand Stream
    Nature: Adamant
    Moves: Dragon Dance, Crunch, Stone Edge, Fire Fang
    Item: Expert Belt
    EVs: 252 Hp, 252 Atk, 4 Speed

[​IMG]Next is the best friend of any Dark/Rock pokemon, Golurk. Acting as a check to fighters who might come in on Tyranitar, Golurk loves making fighters look silly. And when they run for another pokemon, this give Golurk a chance to set up his Substitute and fire off any number of attacks until either the opponent falls.
    Ability: Iron Fist
    Moves: Substitute, Focus Punch, Shadow Punch, Earthquake
    Item: Leftovers
    EVs: 252 Hp, 252 Atk, 4 Special Defense

[​IMG]Bring up the next spot on the team is Reuniclus. With Magic Guard, Sandstorm doesn't bother him at all. This gives him the chance to do what he needs to do. And that is play coverage to a couple of types that like to attack Rock, Ground, and Steel Types. Energy Ball devastates Water and Ground types, Psychic sends fighters running for the hills, Shadow Ball is for Ghosts and other psychics who have something to prove.
    Ability: Magic Guard
    Nature: Modest
    Moves: Psychic, Recover, Energy Ball, Shadow Ball
    Item: Life Orb
    EVs: 252 Hp, 252 Special Attack, 4 Defense

[​IMG]Escavalier is next in the list. Powerful attacker, great defenses, and Tough moves. And with his Choice Band, there is not much going to take one of his hits and stay standing much longer. In Sandstorm, he takes no damage while his opponents find themselves losing a bit of very precious life. And while Giga Impact might seem silly, in the face of making a tough Prediction, it can be an attempt at a purely powerful single strike.
    Ability: Swarm
    Moves: Megahorn, Iron Head, Facade, Giga Impact
    Item: Choice Band
    EVs: 252 Hp, 252 Attack, 4 Special Defense

[​IMG]This team is not with out hitters and here is another. Terrakion has speed and strength, and he hits like a Semi-truck on steroids. Speed is not a factor with this pokemon though as he gets a great boost in speed thanks to his Choice Scarf. A perfect Revenge Killer, he has the speed and Coverage to rip open teams and completely solve huge problems that this team might face.
    Ability: Justified
    Nature: Jolly
    Moves: Close Combat, Earthquake, Stone Edge, X-Scissor
    Item: Choice Scarf
    EVs: 252 Atk, 252 Speed, 4 Hp

[​IMG]Seismitoad is in the last slot as it slightly faster than its other competitor among my favorite pokemon. Good STAB moves allow it to deal damage to numerous targets. Its other two moves give it some more coverage, and Choice Specs makes these moves very dangerous.
    Ability: Swift Swim
    Nature: Modest
    Moves: Earth Power, Surf, Grass Knot, Sludge Wave.
    Item: Choice Specs
    EVs: 252 Speed, 252 Special Attack, 4 Hp

Battle Style:
    This team is designed to support each other by either weathering damage and drilling back, or by allowing other members of the team to come in at apporpiate times to gain advantage. Tyranitar normally will start the battle off because of the threat of Sandstorm. There are few other potential leads that can deal with power brought on by a Tyranitar. And if it forces a switch, then Dragon dance works to raise its power and negate its speed weakness. However, Fighting type pokemon or Grass and Water types tend to come in on Tyranitar, this is where the rest of team begins its jobs to aid the Tyrant.

Golurk messes up fighters, because even Drain/Mach Punch Conkledurr can't touch the Ghost type side of Golurk. This allows for Golurk to set up.

Reuniclus has a main job, and that is for him to stomp holes in water types. Energy Ball allows him to do this. Psychic allows for him to destroy fighters that might give Golurk trouble. Between the two, I am looking to protect Tyranitar should some other pokemon try to set up its own weather style.

Terrakion is the team's Revenge Killer. With his stats, he is primed to make any pokemon who takes out a member of this team very, very sorry. However, I can depend on him to try and sweep if he has too. Though with this team, I hoping that never is the case.

Escavalier is the teams enforcer. His power and defensive stats allow him to truly play the role of the Knight. STAB Megahorn and Iron Head clear out mainy problems. Facade makes pokemon that give him status pay for it. And Giga Impact is an all else fails move. It is the type of move that can dent something powerful and while yes that pokemon might survive and try to set up, it becomes bait for a revenge kill from Terrakion.

Seismitoad's job is a unique one. And its something you might not expect from him. And that is to be a wrench. With the way the team is set up around everything else, he comes in and hopes to act as a surprise that you don't see coming. His moves allow him coverage and Choice Specs give him the chance to seriously hurt something. Even Grass types like say Virizion will not like a Sludge Wave from Seismitoad should they be choice locked.

The team is designed to run like a Sandstorm team that is very Bulky and good at taking hits. It has a Revenge Killer and a Surprise Pokemon as well as Pokemon with set jobs and abilities. I am sure this is a team everyone has seen before in some shape or form, but for me, its something I think is fun, and more so, different from other Sandstorm teams.
  2. RiOdO

RiOdO

You need to list your ev's. Also, some images and descriptions of team synergy in more depth will help.
  3. Steel.Storm

Steel.Storm

you're making steps in the right direction, but you need to edit it all into the original post and try to make it easy to read (including smaller pictures). Take a look around at some other RMTs to get a feel for what you should be aiming for.
  4. Vega07

Vega07

Now its fixed up.
  5. Steel.Storm

Steel.Storm

Just from glancing, this Team gets wrecked by Water and Grass... needless to say most Rain Teams would have a field day lol. Golurk and Seismitoad are in lower Tiers for a reason, thus they will easily be the #1 things to replace. On the same note, Escavalier is highly outclassed by Scizor (not to mention Facade and Giga Impact.... no, just no lol).

Also, Reuniclus would prefer Shadow Ball > Energy Ball as Psychic+Fighting+Ghost is absolutely excellent coverage. you could also consider Psyshock > Psychic to push past Spec. Walls. Recover would better be utilized as either Trick Room or Calm Mind as they can quickly make Reuniclus a massive threat to the opponent. for the exact Sets have a look over in the OU page:
    http://www.smogon.com/bw/tiers/ou
  6. The QWAZ

The QWAZ

yeah dont use sesmitoad
  7. MavsObbession

MavsObbession

Just by looking at your team, Rain Teams are the biggest threat to this team. They will run over your team with or without Tyranitar. Ludicolo can easily take down Seismitoad, Golurk, and Terrakion with a simple Giga Drain or Grass Knot. Seismitoad is mostly NU and RU, while Golurk is usually seen in UU respectively. These Pokemon won't survive that long in OU, but although Golurk can compete in this tier, it's easily OHKO'ed by many Grass Knot users seen in OU, such as Offensive Calm Mind Jirachi and Defensive Celebi.

Scizor > Escavailer by FAR. Scizor's Technician ability allows it boost moves such as Bug Bite, to take down threats such as Special Rain Ludicolo and Breloom in general. Why not replace Golurk with a Standard Ferrothorn? Ferrothorn is one of the best stalls in the OU metagame, and it would fit very nicely with a OU Sand Team such as this one. Here's a set for Standard Ferrothorn:

Ferrothorn (open)

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
    Trait: Iron Barbs
    EV's: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
    IV's: 0 Speed
    Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spe)
    - Spikes
    - Leech Seed
    - Protect
    - Power Whip

Ferrothorn is a GREAT counter to Rain teams. Leech Seed + Leftovers makes it hard for many teams to take it down, along with its awesome defensive typing. Ferrothorn can set up Spikes while restoring its HP constantly with the Leech Seed and Leftovers Combo. It can also use Power Whip to kill Politoed, and other Pokemon that function well in a standard Rain team. Protect is useful because if Ferrothorn took a hard hit by another Pokemon, it can easily restore HP with Leech Seed and Leftovers, while the opposing mons get their HP sapped. Protect ensures that you'll restore enough health to take another hit.

Hippowdon is also a good substitute for Seismitoad, as it can set up Sandstorm with Tyranitar. If you're having trouble keeping Sandstorm weather on the field against other weather teams, you can easily switch out to Tyranitar or Hippowdon to set up Sandstorm. With two Pokemon with the Sand Stream ability, you won't have to worry about weather changes in your opponent's favor.

Hippowdon is also a very useful physical wall just like Ferrothorn, so you can use a Physical Wall Hippowdon set such as this one:

Hippowdon (open)

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
    Trait: Sand Stream
    EV's: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
    Impish Nature (+Def, -SpA)
    - Earthquake
    - Slack Off
    - Stealth Rock
    - Roar

Hippowdon has tremendous Defense and HP stats, making it an AWESOME physical wall. Slack Off restores 50% of your HP when you take a hard hit, and you can also set up Stealth Rock along with Ferrothorn's Spikes. Roar makes your opponent constantly switch to entry hazards, and Earthquake allows it to deal significant damage to Pokemon who don't resist it.

Hope I helped! Ask me if you have more questions!
  8. Vega07

Vega07

Thanks for all the tips so far. I will definitely take it all under advisement. The one big thing I want to mention so far, is that the point of the team was not to be used for OU, but in truth just for standard play against All tiers at once.

That and I am tired of running OU teams that are all OU Pokemon and having people call me a noob for it. I know it might seem like I am complaining, but in truth, I just hate it. I like the pokemon I like and build teams for it. Honestly if I was building a team for OU play alone it would look different than this. But I was trying to really show off a team that had pokemon from every tier.
  9. MavsObbession

MavsObbession

Oh, ok. I'm not calling you a noob, I just thought this was really meant for OU.
  10. Vega07

Vega07

I posted in OU, because I really had no idea where else to put it. Tyranitar, Reuniclus, and Terrakion are OU pokemon so they would need to be played in the OU Tier. So I posted here. I didn't see a rate my team for like Standard Play.

I will add a new Purely OU team soon.
  11. MavsObbession

MavsObbession

Ahhh, then go to the Other Teams RMT. There you can post any team of any tier besides OU! Although this team could do well in OU. xD
  12. Vega07

Vega07

Yeah its needs work though for true competition in OU Tier. While I love Seismitoad and Escavalier, I know they belong in lower tiers for a reason. Golurk I think got shafted a little, because with the right team support I think it can crush. Scizor is better than Escavalier though I love both. And Seismitoad is one of my favorite NUs. As I said this is a team of Pokemon I like as Favorites. Though that statement is true of most of my teams.
  13. MavsObbession

MavsObbession

That's why I suggested you to use Ferrothorn, Hippowdon and Scizor. They function well in OU, especially in Sandstorm teams. But I'll happily rate your team in other tiers, if you want.

Good luck with your team!
  14. Steel.Storm

Steel.Storm

I'm in the same boat as MavsObbession lol. Didn't mean any harm, just assumed this was for OU since (unless I missed it, which is quite possible cuz I'm tired) I didn't see anything like that mentioned in your 1st post.
  15. Vega07

Vega07

I more then likely will post this team in the other RMT. But I will be posting a OU team I use when I have time.

And I know that know meant any harm. I am glad for the advice.
  16. MavsObbession

MavsObbession

Anytime, anytime...
  17. Pesadilla

Pesadilla

You should use Trick Room team and use Ferrothorn because rain teams are a big problem for this team.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)