1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

OU Sand

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by derdoktorernst, Apr 25, 2013.

1. derdoktorernst

derdoktorernst

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Tyranitar
    Choice Band - Sand Stream
    Adamant - 170 HP, 252 Att, 86 Spe
    Pursuit
    Fire Punch
    Stone Edge
    Superpower

Not much to say about this T-tar, he hits hard and has decent coverage for the rest of my team

[​IMG]
    Stoutland
    Choice Band - Sand Rush
    Adamant - 252 Spe, 252 Att, 4 SpD
    Return
    Crunch
    Wild Charge
    Ice Fang

I love outspeed the metagame and hitting with the force of a goddamn truck with Choice Banded Stoutland, my whole team was -really- centered around this poke and I love using him. Normal damage from rocks and other hazards and has Crunch for ghosts if I can predict the switch.

[​IMG]
    Jirachi
    Leftovers - Serene Grace
    Calm - 252 Hp, 224 SpD, 32 Spe
    Body Slam
    Thunder Wave
    Wish
    U-turn

TWave is only really for slowing down threats so my Modest, Specs Latios can switch in and Draco Meteor whatever the hell it wants to.
    Wish and U-turn are just for wish passing.
    Body Slam for an extra chance of getting paralyze on threats such as Mamoswine and other ice types.

[​IMG]
    Donphan
    Leftovers - Sturdy
    Impish - 252 HP, 252 Def, 4 Att
    Stealth Rock
    Rapid Spine
    Ice Shard
    Earthquake

Standard Donphan, nothin special

[​IMG]
    Latios
    Choice Specs - Levitate
    Modest - 252 SpA, 252 Spe, 4 SpD
    Draco Meteor
    Psyshock
    Surf
    HP Fire

Specs Draco Meteor. Brings Death, everywhere. By the time You predict the Draco Meteor, I'm using HP fire on your precious Skarmory/Jirachi.
    I love the raw power, but this set relies very heavily on my Jirachi.

[​IMG]
    Landorus-T
    Choice Scarf - Intimidate
    Naive - 252 Spe, 200 HP, 56 Att
    U-turn
    Earthquake
    Stone Edge
    HP Ice

Outspeeding other choice scarfers and being able to U-turn out on unfavorable pokes to attack is very nice, I've always liked Landorus and he fits his niche pretty nicely on this team, scouting sets, allowing Jirachi to take close combats and allowing T-tar to as well.

This is one of my first OU teams and it's worked well for me, so suggestions are open.
  2. kakuna

kakuna

Nice take on standard sand, seeing stoutland and donphan get some use is really cool. However I think this team could really benefit from an additional water resist, because specs latios is easy to eliminate leaving you defenseless against rain teams. Rapid spin starmie with a defensive set could work over donphan, and jirahchi could use stealth rocks. Starmie is a good keldeo check and can spin reliably, especially with tyranitar trapping jellicent. Your team will probably really appreciate outspeeding and KOiung gengar with psyshock which is much better than donphan providing free switch ins for gengar. Landorus-T already gives you the bulky ground and DD dragons check so donphan is not needed. I would also replace jirachi with a heatran to be more effective against sun teams, especially those featuring special venusaur. You have no solid fire resist even if you add starmie, so Victini Vcretae and other things could run through you. Heatran also checks volcarona with ease. In summary replace donphan and jirachi for bulky starmie and specially defensive heatran, and slap rocks on heatran. Good luck!
  3. JolteonX

JolteonX

I also use stoutland, so I think I can help you with your stoutland. Change ice fang to superpower. This will allow stoutland to battle steel types like heatran the resist crunch and return. Even with the drop it should be a staple on all stoutlands. You may also want to consider fire fang over wild charge. This will allow you to take down scizor, ferrothorn, and forretress easier, plus the pokemon weak to electric attacks are taken out by return except skarmory, but if you put heatran over jirachi like kakuna suggested, your team won't have skarmory issues.

I think if you follow kakuna's and my advice, you'll have a pretty solid sandstorm team at your hands. at least try out the changes, and I think you'll be satisfied with your team. Good luck!
  4. Magical Magmortar

Magical Magmortar

One thing, you need at least three lines of descriptions on each Pokemon or else this thread will be locked.
    But for my rate on Tyranitar use a set of pursuit, crunch, stone edge, and superpower.
  5. Sayonara

Sayonara don't forget

Hello, nice team. You seem pretty weak to Ferrothorn, as only Latias can take it out and with Choice Specs it can't take it down reliably and with Ferrothorn around Stoutland is unable to sweep. I think Keldeo is a huge problem, as you've got 3 team members weak to Water moves, and Keldeo can easily come in and spam Hydro Pump, with Latios being your only check, and with Sand damage and repeated Hydro Pumps it goes down pretty quickly. I don't think it's necessary for you to use Donphan, as aside from providing Rapid Spin support it does pretty much the same job as Landorus-T, who does the work much better with its Ground and Spikes immunity, higher Attack and Intimidate. To help with dealing with Ferrothorn and Keldeo, and rain in general, I'd replace Donphan with Jellicent.
    [​IMG]
    Jellicent (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Water Absorb
    EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spd
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Scald
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Taunt
    - Recover

While you do lose Rapid Spin support, I don't think it's necessary on your rather offensive team, and you do have Jirachi for Wish support as well. Jellicent fits this team really well, as you're now less weak to Rain and Keldeo, who is walled, and it puts less pressure on Latios to constantly have to tank Hydro Pumps. Jellicent also appreciates your Tyranitar's Pursuit support, as with Latias, Latios and Celebi gone it has a much easier time. Scald is a reliable STAB that can occasionally burn, and Will-O-Wisp lets you burn key opponents like Ferrothorn, reducing their effectiveness. Taunt shuts down stuff like Ferrothorn, Skarmory, Forretress and Recover is a useful move to gain back 50% of its health, increasing its durability. Anyways, for some other changes, I'd go with Superpower over Ice Fang on Stoutland so you have another way of dealing with Ferrothorn, and it also takes out Heatran, allowing Stoutland to sweep with more ease. Dragons are hit hard by STAB Return anyways. On Jirachi, I'd go with Iron Head over Thunder Wave, since Body Slam paralyzes most of the time and you can use the paraflinch combo to your advantage to get out of difficult situations. Now that Donphan is gone and you don't have Stealth Rock anymore, I'd go with Stealth Rock over Hidden Power Ice on Landorus-T, who has many opportunities to set up the rocks throughout the game. And finally, I'd change Latios' Choice Specs to Life Orb and Recover over Hidden Power Fire, as it makes you less vulnerable to Tyranitar and Recover is really important for Latios' effectiveness, especially with Sand and Life Orb damage taking their toll throughout the match. Anyways, hope this helps.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)