1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

OU Sandstall

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by nmitchell890, May 7, 2013.

1. nmitchell890

nmitchell890

Herro :) nmitchell890 hoping to present a more successful RMT than the last one I posted (I got literally 0 replies). I decided to keep this one short and sweet for ya. May as well get started then.

Teambuilding Process
    Show Hide
    I wanted to try out a core based around the ability Regenerator. So I automatically picked Amoonguss and Slowbro. The pair take on a wide variety of threats including Keldeo, Breloom and Terrakion while never getting worn down very easily. This was my starting point.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

My next step was easy. I added Heatran to cover sun teams and complete a FWG core. Heatran originally had Stealth Rock, just in case nothing else I wanted to add could fit it in, but that didn't end up being a problem.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I then looked at my core n tried to identify things that were missing. I had no entry hazards except Stealth Rock, no Rapid Spin and no ghost type to block opposing Rapid Spin. I tried to take on two at once and added a Forretress, keeping an open mind about replacing it or changing its moveset later. I had Pain Split as my final move alongside the standard Spikes, Rapid Spin and Volt Switch, this was an attempt to improve the longevity of Forretress.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

The final essential my team lacked was a ghost type. Having seen success before using Sableye, it was my next choice to add. Sableye provides support that can't be provided by any other pokemon so reliably.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I took one last look at the team. It had all the essentials; entry hazards, Rapid Spin, a ghost type, and a good solid team core. However, there were too many issues to try fill with the last pokemon. I knew that it needed to be a good user of Pursuit as Forretress is shockingly bad when they are around, while things like Salamence had a field day against the team because Forretress is set up fodder. I tried using the last team slot to try cover every hole but there wasn't a solution that satisfied the needs of any team with Forretress in it. It is that bad. I saw this and changed it to Skarmory before looking at reworking the team. I liked Skarmory better because it had recovery and Whirlwind to stop things setting up on it.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

At this point, I realised that there was too much to do with the last slot (again) so I looked at the rest of the team. The solution was obvious, but it involved breaking up my beloved Regenerator core. So I sadly combined Sableye and Slowbro into Jellicent, leaving two team slots free.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Then I had a brainwave. I couldn't add Tentacruel with Jellicent on the team. I couldn't face resorting to Forretress again. Starmie lacks bulk and overlaps with Jellicent (again) and everything else I could think of sucked except Excadrill, who is banned. But there is a pokemon similar to Excadrill allowed in OU that isn't banned; Sandslash. So I added it to the team, and shoved Hippowdon on too. This was more helpful than I anticipated actually, as now Hippowdon shoulders the burden of setting up Stealth Rock so Heatran is free to run Protect and increase its longevity thanks to Leftovers.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

This version of the team is where I am now. Hopefully I can add more to this as the suggestions of my fellow Smogonites improve the team

And so, the team;

[​IMG]
    Hippowdon (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Sand Stream
    EVs: 248 HP / 32 Def / 228 SDef
    Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
    - Slack Off
    - Whirlwind
    - Earthquake
    - Stealth Rock
    Well, Hippowdon. Not much to say here really. Or there wasn't until I tested this guy. I never realised how bulky this son-of-a-bitch really is. Seriously, Hippowdon tanks hits from boosted dragons and gives them the middle finger with Whirlwind. Its insane. Slack Off only makes this better (for me) by healing its HP. As mentioned in the Teambuilding Process section, Hippowdon shoulders the burden of setting up Stealth Rock to annoy every Dragonite and Volcarona I come up against. Earthquake is the best attack Hippowdon has. The bulk on Hippowdon may be massive, but in reality it just gets on with doing all the small jobs that no-one else cares about doing, like Brad Barritt puts in all the defensive work that no-one cares about watching in international rugby. Sand Stream was originally the reason for Hippowdon being on this team, it supports Sandslash and provides chip damage on a lot of OU pokemon. The EV spread is designed to maximise the overall defensiveness of Hippowdon, 32Def gives a jump point with Impish while the rest go to HP and SDef.

[​IMG]
    Skarmory (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Sturdy
    EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 Spd
    Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
    - Spikes
    - Whirlwind
    - Brave Bird
    - Roost
    I much prefer Skarmory to Forretress or even Ferrothorn. Seriously, I can't hate on the steel bagworm enough, its so shit. Anyway, getting back on topic, Skarmory. It packs a lot of advantages over its competition. For a start, it packs recovery. Roost is a godsend to anything that gets it, it lets Skarmory keep doing what it does best; walling physical attackers that can't hit it super effectively and setting up Spikes in their faces. Often, I have to resort to Whirlwind or Brave Bird before setting up I find, because my opponent will pack a trapper like Magnezone or Gothitelle that Skarmory wants to Whirlwind, or a Magic Bounce user like Espeon or Xatu that Skarmory wants to Brave Bird. Skarmory is pretty standard, it has been doing the same thing since GSC and everyone knows what it does, there is very little to put here. The EV spread is also standard, 24Spd outspeeds Wobbuffet(of all things)so I can choose the move Skarmory will be locked into by Encore, while the rest go into HP and Def to maximise its walling potential.

[​IMG]
    Amoonguss (M) @ Black Sludge
    Trait: Regenerator
    EVs: 248 HP / 28 SAtk / 232 SDef
    Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
    - Spore
    - Giga Drain
    - Sludge Bomb
    - Stun Spore
    The original team member :) Amoonguss is here to stand in the way of any and all Drizzle sweepers. Keldeo? Hah. Rotom-W? Pfft. Even Technician Breloom fails against Amoonguss, Sludge Bomb is a clean OHKO and Amoonguss probably will wake up from Spore eventually. Sludge Bomb is the only move that isn't standard, Hidden Power Ice is normally preferred because of dragons setting up, but Stun Spore fucks them all except Lum Berry Dragonite who is walled by either Skarmory or Heatran, unless it drops ExtremeSpeed (not likely). Spore is one of the best moves in the game, essentially taking out one of the opponents team the instant I click the button. Giga Drain is the main STAB, dealing damage to the water types Amoonguss counters and healing HP at the same time. STAB Sludge Bomb is almost as powerful as super effective Hidden Power Ice (except 4x super effective targets) but is more useful for keeping neutral targets like Terrakion in check in a pinch, I prefer this as Stun Spore cripples the preferred targets of Hidden Power Ice much more than the damage. Sludge Bomb also threatens more pokemon on the switch in like Volcarona and the Magic Bounce pokemon. Gliscor isn't an issue as both attacks break its Substitute and it can't Toxic Amoonguss. The EV spread is standard, 28SAtk breaks any Substitute set up be Keldeo even at +2 with the rest in HP and SDef.

[​IMG]
    Jellicent (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Water Absorb
    EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spd
    - Taunt
    - Recover
    - Shadow Ball
    - Will-O-Wisp
    Jellicent is a pokemon I didn't particularly want to add over either Slowbro or Sableye, but replacing the pair of them with Jellicent was a necessary act to strengthen the team as a whole. I can't say I am disappointed with the performance I have seen from Jellicent so far. I can say however, that I wish there was room for Toxic on this moveset too. I only have Heatran to check both Venusaur and Volcarona, Jellicent would ease the pressure against sun teams by taking on Volcarona with Toxic. I would also prefer Toxic against switch ins like Rotom-W. However, Will-o-Wisp is doing the job so far against pokemon such as Scizor and Ferrothorn, and catching Tyranitar is extremely satisfying. Taunt is very useful against hazard setters like Forretress and opposing Skarmory, as is Will-o-Wisp to wear them down. Shadow Ball is required to take on Reuniclus, Alakazam and Lati@s, it also hits Starmie and Celebi harder than Scald. Recover sets Jellicent apart from quite a few other ghost types as they generally lack reliable recovery, although the unique typing and incredible bulk kinda do that already. The EV spread is standard, however the nature isn't. I chose to go with a Calm nature to help cushion Thunderbolt from Starmie, a Rapid Spin user that Jellicent could otherwise have trouble with. The Calm nature also helps Jellicent against users of Draco Meteor like Latios. Pretty happy with Jellicent really, despite replacing two other pokemon I was happy with for it.

[​IMG]
    Heatran (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Flash Fire
    EVs: 248 HP / 252 SDef / 8 Spd
    - Toxic
    - Protect
    - Lava Plume
    - Roar
    Ah Heatran. In many ways, Heatran is the glue of this team. Without it, the team would fall apart to sun teams and special attacking dragons alike, along with not liking Ferrothorn much at all. Hey, what am I meant to switch into a Ferrothorn knowing Power Whip? Jellicent is the only other team member capable of neutering Ferrothorn and that relies on Ferrothorn switching into it. Thanks to Hippowdon taking on the Stealth Rock duties, Heatran is free to run whatever four moves it likes. Toxic cripples water types switching into Heatran, it works so well because nothing else immune to Toxic wants to switch in (except possibly another Heatran but they don't know I don't pack Earth Power yet). Toxic is also good for Latios and other defensive switch ins to Heatran. Roar forces the opponent to switch, this works real good just after Heatran switches in because the opponent will likely switch out. Lava Plume is the choice of STAB move due to its high chance to burn; it has (is meant to have) the same burn rate as Scald. Protect is very useful, it acts as a scouting move while simultaneously stalling for a free turn of Leftovers recovery and Toxic damage. Heatran takes on a bulk of the defensive responsibility, and lacks a method of healing its HP outside of Leftovers. This is my only cause for concern for Heatran, though it is a small one as it tends to last a while most matches anyway.

[​IMG]
    Sandslash (M) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Sand Rush
    EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Rapid Spin
    - Earthquake
    - Stone Edge
    - Swords Dance
    Sandslash was my brainwave pokemon, and it hasn't disappointed. It is a Rapid Spin user first and foremost, and I play it that way. It is also my primary Terrakion counter; it can switch into any move Terrakion might make, outspeed in sandstorm and OHKO with Earthquake or set up as it switches out. If I see a ghost type on the opponents team at Team Preview, I will set up Swords Dance as it switches in and KO it there and then. If not, I will simply Rapid Spin my opponents hazards away. Obviously, Swords Dance is there to help Sandslash get past Jellicent and other ghost types, Earthquake is the main STAB move while Stone Edge is the best coverage move available. If the opportunity arises, Sandslash will sweep with Swords Dance, but the opportunity rarely comes about what with its primary role being that of a Rapid Spin user and the unique EV spread being used. With this spread, Sandslash will outspeed upto and including Timid Alakazam, the rest goes into attack first to help break Jellicent, then bulk to help switch into attacks and take possible opportunities to use Rapid Spin.

Well that's my team. Please rate, borrow, steal and enjoy :)
  2. Rosez66

Rosez66

Firstly nice team and kudos to using hippowdon, I love using him and I have even tried his other ability along with tyranitar and and trick room lol. Anyways I feel like you should replace hippowdon for a fairly unorthodox pokemon. CurseTar. The reason being you need the bulk. And the type overlap with sandlsash could cause problems in you come up against a mamoswine or scarf abomansnow

After a few curses, and max special defense investment tyranitar can sweep, however the main selling point is that it can also act as a status absorber which I could see running this team. Along with this if you do wish to keep to hippowdon like bulk which is awesome I would recommend donphan which can also kill dragons easily with the use of ice shard of which none of your other pokemon can damage them.

The moveset however would consist of curse, rest, sleep talk and your choice of attack however seeing as you have a decent core and heatran I would suggest a dark type move as you can take down steel types easily with smart play with heatran.
  3. nmitchell890

nmitchell890

I am not opposed to using Tyranitar, however I need to fit Stealth Rock in there somewhere and RestTalk isn't viable on Tyranitar due to the sleep mechanics in BW2. Also, I already have Sandslash as a potential sweeper, a full stall team doesn't need two. Thanks for the rate though :) much appreciated.

Perhaps a specially defensive Tyranitar could fit here, it would patch up my small weakness to Latios and I won't miss Whirlwind too much as I have Skarmory and Heatran to phaze. I will look into that.
  4. xDesch

xDesch

As a big fan of SandStall, this team really caught my interest! In Ubers, I used a team that was built up in the same way, almost. The classic FWG core, A Spin blocker, Hippo and Excadrill.
    Anyways, I'd suggest you give Hippowdon 8 or 12 EV's in Speed, so you'll outspeed opposing Hippo, and you can almlost garuantee getting off a Slack Off before he can eventually KO you. You should also consider giving him Ice Fang, as it deals massive damage to Dragons.
    Your Amoongus should exchange Stun Spore with HP Ice. The shaky 75% accuracy is something you don't wanna risk when dealing with Dragons, and you don't really have much to actually KO them.

About your Sandslash. It might be the closest thing to broken Excadrill in OU, but he don't really got the much needed speed. With your IV spread he does outspeed Timid Alakazam, but when dealing with scarfers... Everything that is faster than Heatran with max speed invested + a Scarf will outspeed Sandslash. Wich means Thundurus-T, Salamence and most importantly Terrakion will outspeed when scarfed. I guess you can bluff a max speed set, but be careful.

Otherwise, your team looks pretty solid! :D

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)