1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

OU Sandstorm Team for Local Tournament

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by sha, Nov 17, 2012.

1. sha

sha

Introduction:

I'm preparing a sandstorm team for a local tournament; after trying a voltturn team ( not satisfied ) i've decided to try something different.

I've played a lot of random match-ups on the ds, but this is something i've never done before, that's why i need your help.

The rules at the tournament are very similar to random match-up:
    - no ubers also no genesect, keldeo, celebi, mew,...
    - item clause
    - species clause
    - team preview and picking 3 pokes.

Team preview:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Team Detail:

[​IMG]
    Tyranitar @ Leftovers
    Sandstream - Sassy
    252 HP / 64 Sp Atk / 192 Sp Def
    - Stealth Rock
    - Crunch
    - Fire Blast
    - Ice Beam

I've chosen Tyranitar as my weather inducer over Hippowdon for more coverage moves.
    It's a mixed set that can take a punch; special defense based setup.
    Stealth Rock is obvious, bot sandstorm inducers have them and when used give the other teammates the well deserved ko's.
    Crunch is STAB and is used versus those pesky psychic types.
    Fire Blast is chosen to kill steel types and grass types. Get's really powerfull when losing weather wars in the sun and to take hit at venusaur.
    But that's not the only reason, Breloom and Scizor get OHKO'd and those are very common.
    Ice Beam i'm not sure about, it hits many pokemon hard, but mostly i'm dead before i can use it.

[​IMG]
    Landorus-I @ Choice Scarf
    Sand Force - Naive
    252 Atk / 4 Sp Atk / 252 Speed
    - Earthquake
    - Stone Edge
    - U-turn
    - Hidden Power Ice

Landorus is the main reason why i've chosen to play sandstorm.
    Landorus is mostly my leader, because he's really fast with choice scarf.
    So i can u-turn into Tyranitar to get sandstorm up or another pokemon that doesn't die to ice attacks.
    This pokemon is a beast with sandstorm and STAB earthquake hurts a lot of pokemon, those who resist it get hit by stone edge hopefully :).
    U-turn is for scouting, where hidden power ice is for picking of dragons which i can outspeed if they are not using a choice scarf.

[​IMG]
    Terrakion @ Focus Sash
    Justified - Jolly
    4 Hp / 252 Atk / 252 Speed
    - Close Combat
    - Stone Edge
    - X-scisor
    - Earthquake

Terrakion hits like a truck if his teammates can kill priority users especially scizor. I would love to play a choice scarf set, but due to the item clause i've chosen focus sash. I know focus sash is used for a stealth rock set, but here i'm almost sure i can kill at least one opponent, if i outspeed them mostly 2.
    Close combat and stone edge are standard STAB moves with great coverage.
    X-scisor is chosen to defeat latios and latias mainly.
    Earthquake is chosen against pokemon who resist the above moves, plus the boost from sandstorm is a welcome add.

[​IMG]
    Latios @ Life Orb
    Levitate - Timid
    4 Hp / 252 Sp Atk / 252 Speed
    - Draco Meteor
    - Surf
    - Hidden Power Fire
    - Psyshock

The team has a weakness to fighting and also struggles to defeat them, with Latios i can outspeed them, except priority and OHKO them with psyshock.
    Draco Meteor i spam if none of the other attacks can KO my opponent or when i anticipate a switch in when i bluff a choice set.
    Surf is used for coverage, because my team doesn't have much water attacks.
    Hidden power fire is for the most obvious switchs inns: scizor and other steel types who expect a draco meteor.
    Psyshock is versus fighting types.

[​IMG]
    Scizor @ Choice Band
    Technician - Adamant
    248 Hp / 252 Atk / 8 Speed
    - U-turn
    - Bullet Punch
    - Superpower
    - Pursuit

Scizor is much needed on this team IMO. There are 2 moves i use the most: pursuit vs psychics and bullet punch for the popular ice types like mamoswine and abomasnow who are extremely popular.
    U-turn is for scouting and super power versus opposing Tyranitar.
    There isn't much to say about Scizor; everybody knows this set, but he's still very good IMO.

[​IMG]
    Rotom-W @ Chesto Berry
    Levitate - Calm
    248 Hp / 28 Sp Atk / 232 Sp Def
    - Volt Switch
    - Hydro Pump
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Rest

Rotom has great synergie with scizor, but is mainly on the team to sponge water and ice attacks directed at Landorus, Tyranitar and Terrakion.
    He is also very good against rain teams.
    Because of his sponge role i've chosen a special defense set with chestorest combo to heal the damage taken.
    Will-O-Wisp is chosen over thunderwave to do some extra damage in combination with stealth rock, so that my sweepers have an easier time.
    Volt switch and hydro pump are his main STAB moves and hit hard, but use them carefully, because many teams are prepared for him with either water absorb, volt absord or electric immunity pokemon.

I feel like a real noob, mainly because I am one, but i've tried to do my best for this RMT.
    I'm really eager to learn and to improve this team!!!
  2. undisputed

undisputed
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis Smogon Frontier's Frontier Lackeyis a Past WCoP Winner

Hey!

I've got a couple small suggestions for your team because it looks like a solid Sandstorm team already.

First, I'm always worried about a team that allows Deoxys-D to set up Stealth Rock and one layer of Spikes. The best you're going to do is predict the Deo-d lead and U-turn with Scizor, then finish it off with Latios. If Deoxys-d switches out of Latios into something like Genesect, you'll get U-turned and Deoxys-d could get another easy hazard layer. To fix this and simultaneously make your team better, I think you should switch to Stealth Terrakion. You don't even have to change your current set. Just put Stealth Rock on Terrakion instead of Earthquake. STAB Close Combat is nearly as powerful as a Super Effective Earthquake anyway.

Now that you've freed up Tyranitar, I think you should make it a powerful Choice Band tank. Use Adamant nature with 252 Atk, 100 Spe, and the rest of the EVs in HP. You'll be surprised at how many Ferrothorns, Starmies, Lati@s', etc you can catch off guard. Even Pursuit a Politoed for a surprise weather kill.

The rest of your team looks very good. Perhaps think about Recover > HP Fire on Latios. HP Fire always makes me worried about losing to other Lati's, and you've got a ton of stuff to beat Ferrothorn regardless. Recover will also give you extra longevity vs. Pokemon like Politoed, Tentacruel, Keldeo, Celebi, Jellicent, Rotom-w, and the like.

Good luck, and I hope you win the tournament!
  3. King of Blades

King of Blades

Hello!

Well, I do agree with all the above changes proposed by undisputed. There is also one more thing I would like to add. You commented that you like to bluff choice with latios. I would suggest replacing life orb with expert belt. True, he loses power, but he is more easily able to bluff a choice set, especially because the life orb recoil doesn't blow it.
  4. sha

sha

Deoxys and genesect i will not face @ the tournament because they are not allowed.
    Also i can't make tyranitar choice band , there is an item clause and scizor already has it.
    The changes to latios i will test them.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)