OU Sandstorm Team

Introduction

Well this is my second ever RMT thread I've posted on Smogon and this is my first ever Gen V team. I have not actually played Black and White yet (one more day!) so I am unfamiliar with the majority of these pokemon. However, that did not stop me from making a Gen V team. Just one last note, I like to play aggressively, KOing the opponent's pokes before they get a chance to set up. Now, without further ado...​

The Team

Changes in Bold

Hippowdon (M) @ Leftovers​
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 152 Def / 104 SDef
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Fang

My lead. Since Hippo is the slowest of the insta-weather starting leads, my sandstorm always get up in the early battle. I use Stealth Rock if I am confident their lead is going to switch, giving me some nice momentum early on. I use earthquake against certain suicide leads (I'm looking at you Metagross). Ice fang is for coverage and it is a nice surprise against all the dragons that are running around in today's metagame. Slack off is a reliable recovery move that lets me stay alive against pokemon that can't break my wall. I'm not really interested in changing Hippo since he's such a vital part of my team.

Gliscor (M) @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Taunt
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang

Ah Gliscor. Good times, good times. This is almost the same exact gliscor I used in Gen IV, and if its not broke, why fix it? Taunt allows gliscor to stall break certain walls. Earthquake is a staple on any set, and Ice Fang adds some coverage to Gliscor. Swords Dance lets Gliscor just wreck the other team if he can get two off. All in all, he's a very reliable poke. The only thing I'm considering to change on him is his ability. Should I stick with it as is, or should I use sand veil and roost?

Kerudio @ Leftovers
Trait: Justice Heart
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Mystery Sword
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Electric]

Kerudio is my special wall. It buffers fire, water, and ice type attacks used against my team. This is a speedy and powerful wall though. It can easily 2HKO most pokes that don't resist any of its attacks. I use Calm Mind if the time is right, so Kerudio can just anhilate any poke that doesn't resist it. All of my other moves are for coverage and STAB. I would switch Kerudio if it is outclassed by something else, but it needs to be fast and can take fire, water, and ice type moves with ease.

Shandera (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Shadow Tag
- Energy Ball
- Fire Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Fighting]

Firstly, I would like to thank Eos for recommending this. Secondly, yes I am a complete asshole. While Shandera can't switch in easily, it can revenge like nobody's business. The EVs are for max speed so opposing Shandera only have a 50% chance of outspeeding me. The set is the most flexible part of shandera. I chose energy ball so I could have at least one grass attack. Fire Blast and Shadow Ball are self-explanatory. Two powerful STABs that annhilate the competion. Hidden power is where I'm not so sure. The fact that it can kill porygon2/Z is nice, but the benefits stop there. Any suggestions for the HP?

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Levitate
- Dragon Pulse
- Surf
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Thunderbolt

Latios is and will always be my favorite pokemon. It doesn't hurt that he has stellar stats also. His role on my team is to be another Special Attacker and nuke everything. And I mean everything. There are very few matches in which Latios doesn't get a kill. The dragon and fire combo is to hit every poke in the metagame not named Heatran. Surf takes care of him easily. Thunderbolt is a nice option against the water types that carry Ice beam. I'm not looking to change him, but I would change his moveset.

Doryuuzu (M) @ Balloon
Trait: Sand Throw
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- X-Scissor

The star of my team (go figure). Dory is faster than just about everything. And his Attack stat lets him nuke just about everything. However, I play Dory carefully and near the end of the match. Since most teams carry around a Dory counter I use my other pokes to wipe his counters out and use Dory to clean up. The balloon is there for obvious reasons. There's nothing more frustrating than a Dory you can't hit. The first three moves are staples. I use X-scissor against grass types because they provide me with more trouble than Dory walls like Hippo and gliscor. Obviously, this guy is staying where he is, but his moveset can change.

Conclusion

And that's my team. My team does fairly well; it hovers around the 1000 mark on the PO beta server but I would like to push that up to the top 100. No particular pokemon has caused me grief but certain teams have (looks at rain dance teams). Now I don't want to change Hippo, Gliscor, or Dory, but any of my other pokemon can go if it can destroy rain dance teams (perhaps a kingdra? Its swift swim can turn rain dance against my opponent). Any and all rates are appreciated!

Why are you running Focus Blast on Kerudio when the Sword of Mystery (one of his moves that use a sword) is the Fighting-type Psycho Shock?

Hi there!
First off, your hippo lead is good for the obvious reasons. As well as many dragons/flyings in the meta atm, ice fang is very nice. You should put the moves in order according to how important they are and how often they are used. Just an easy way to be organized and to be read.
Gliscor has to be changed. Run Impish with max hp, 72 spe, and the rest to def. Instead of toxic, run SD/facade. SD is much better overall though.
Kerudio/Keldio; as seen above, Mystery Sword is a much better option. After CMs it can be stronger, as well as having 100% accuracy. Otherwise, good set.
For Geno, i'd run a scarf Shandera perhaps. Seeing as your team is weak to physical ice moves as well as any ice move once your Kerudio is gone, and Shandera has more power as well as the good chance to absorb fire moves and then dish out great power. Altho, seeing as this is a DW team, you can be evil and trap a 'mon that cannot touch you.
For Latios, i'd put on Draco Meteor because seeing as most pokes will switch out once you bring in Latios, you can predict the switch into a non-steel type and (usually) OHKO/2HKO it.
For Doryuuzu/Excadrill you should run HP Ice over X-Scissor because otherwise the ever present Landlos/Opposing Gliscor are looming to wall you dearly. This can 2HKO Gliscor, while with balloon you can take him out (because he'll ice fang first, then EQ. but you'll outspeed and KO first).

GL, hope this helped!

Mecha Ajnin ~ Good to know

Cshadow ~ *Facepalm* I guess I just missed that move entirely in the analysis. Thanks for the catch!

Eos ~ If gliscor needs to be more tanky I'll change the EV and nature then. Swords Dance sounds nice. I didn't use toxic much anyway. I would never use facade on my set because EQ is so much better and ice fang hits those who are immune to EQ harder. But a quick question, isn't having 216 speed evs a milestone or am I just making things up? I changed Kerudio already. Shandera sounds nice, but I'll lose some coverage without geno. Any recommended set? I'll consider using draco meteor on Latios, but I don't think the change is going to happen. I'll try HP ice on Dory. That and X-scissor hit the same type of pokemon for SE anway. Thanks!

Okay, first off Download raises the stat that would do most damage. An example would be if it was Genusecto vs. Blissey it would raise it's attack stat.

As for changes, an Choice Scarf eccentric Ditto would be a better revenge killer than Genusecto, as it can copy the foes stat changes and use it against themselves.

As for changes, an Choice Scarf eccentric Ditto would be a better revenge killer than Genusecto, as it can copy the foes stat changes and use it against themselves.
While a ditto may seem like a good idea on paper, I'd rather not let a kill be decided by a 50/50 chance.

Also, Shandera looks like a keeper. I'll update the first post when I get a chance to. Dory with HP ice fails hard because his SP. Attack sucks. The Gliscor is nice too.

Is there any way I can incorporate another ice attack on my team? Shandera perhaps?

Apparently Kerudio is banned on Smogon's server :( Any replacements for it?

While a ditto may seem like a good idea on paper, I'd rather not let a kill be decided by a 50/50 chance.

Also, Shandera looks like a keeper. I'll update the first post when I get a chance to. Dory with HP ice fails hard because his SP. Attack sucks. The Gliscor is nice too.

Is there any way I can incorporate another ice attack on my team? Shandera perhaps?

Apparently Kerudio is banned on Smogon's server :( Any replacements for it?
it's not a 50/50 chance with the scarf unless you're facing another scarfer.

it copies all the boosts, and then adds the scarf speed. so you're going to be going faster.

Hmm, good to see you've taken my suggestions into good consideration.
Well, a good set for Geno is a life orb set with thunderbolt over hp grass. Seeing as it really has the best coverage. so, it isn't the best revenger. i currently like using a scarf Terakion as a revenger, adamant nature. because it just can put big dents the opponents team.

Hmm, good to see you've taken my suggestions into good consideration.
Well, a good set for Geno is a life orb set with thunderbolt over hp grass. Seeing as it really has the best coverage. so, it isn't the best revenger. i currently like using a scarf Terakion as a revenger, adamant nature. because it just can put big dents the opponents team.
Well thanks for your previous suggestions. Shandera is a much better revenger than genosect will ever be. I used to run a Terakion like that but it just never worked very well for me. Thanks for your rates!

Sorry for the double post but I want to make my team better still. Now I'm always in the top 500 (still pretty meh) and I am seeing tons of rain dance teams. Keldeo is the only one that benefits from rain dance and not even that much. I'm thinking of putting in a special sweeping kingdra. Anyone have any good sets or recommendations?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)