OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

dcae

plaza athénée
is a defending SCL Championis a Past SCL Champion
If you are asking for wallbreakers that pair with Dnite, I must say the hands down two best wallbreakers in the tier are also dragons: Hydreigon and Kyurem B. However, neither of these are nice synergistically. However, Keldeo has a nice Expel Belt set that wallbreaks nicely due to the bluff and Secret Sword enabling it to bypass the blobs etc. Generally speaking though, wallbreakers aren't that great in OU anymore due to the downfall of stall.

If I have technician, but I'm also using a gem on a 60 BP move (after STAB), does the move get technician AND gem boost, or does the gem put it above the technician threshold?

If I have technician, but I'm also using a gem on a 60 BP move (after STAB), does the move get technician AND gem boost, or does the gem put it above the technician threshold?
If i am not wrong, the gem boosts the power of the move, and not the base power, so using the gem does not go over the technician threshold.

STAB doesnt increase the base power of the move either, only the power.

Hey. If you play enough of any metagame/mind sport, you will find out that there is no specific way to do something. Like in chess, no one is forcing you to play e4.

You can create the team however you want(maybe building a team around a pokemon or play style maybe), but at the end of the picking process, you should look for pokemons that can sweep your entire team and fix that problem. Then, you can furthur refine your team by playing against people in pokemon showdown, and finding improvements for your team.

Can we run two weather inducers on the same team? Like Tyranitar with Sandstream and Politoed with Drizzle?

Would love to know!!

Cheers

Just a question: If I wanted to start a discussion thread(no competition, just discussion), do I still need the permission of a moderator before I open the thread?
(The thread is kind of to see which Elite 4/Champion Gen 3 to Gen 5 would do best in today's metagame although there are some issues(Steven/Wallace in Gen 3, Alder/Iris in Gen 5).

BurningMan

fueled by beer
Just a question: If I wanted to start a discussion thread(no competition, just discussion), do I still need the permission of a moderator before I open the thread?
(The thread is kind of to see which Elite 4/Champion Gen 3 to Gen 5 would do best in today's metagame although there are some issues(Steven/Wallace in Gen 3, Alder/Iris in Gen 5).

This would propably be best posted in the Orange Island forums since it has actually little to do with the competetive aspect of the metagame and doesn't seems to be a very serious debate. You don't need the permission of a OU Mod to open a thread, but asking one will never hurt and will make it much less likely that the thread will get closed.

Well, I do want to look at it from a competitive viewpoint rather than theorymonning about it: hopefully we could test it with some competent battlers(myself not included, I suck at it :))
Anyways, thanks for the answer!

Why does Kyurem-B is still OU, i think he should be Ubers jsut look at his Stats 170 Attck is too much for OU.

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Why does Kyurem-B is still OU, i think he should be Ubers jsut look at his Stats 170 Attck is too much for OU.
Kyurem-B was determined by a majority of eligible voters who tested him on the Suspect Test ladder on Showdown! to be competitive in OU. This is largely due to it's Stealth Rock weakness, Fighting weakness, weakness to common priority (Bullet Punch and Mach Punch), lackluster speed, and pretty shallow physical move-pool. All of these factors were what allowed Kyurem-B to be brought down to OU.

BurningMan

fueled by beer
Out of interest, why is discussing Darmanitan-Z banned?
Where did you read that? I am pretty sure you are allowed to discuss about Darmanitan-Z if you talk about it in the proper threads you just aren't allowed to make a thread about Darmanitan-Z, because we don't make threads about a single Pokemon anymore except for the suspect threads.

Why do all Raikous with Aura Sphere should run Rash nature? Is it because the only available Raikou with that move is Rash?

Why do all Raikous with Aura Sphere should run Rash nature? Is it because the only available Raikou with that move is Rash?
It's because of the event Raikou. The event gave Aura Sphere with a Rash Nature so you can only use Aura Sphere under those circumstances.

LilOu

PO poopyhead
Where did you read that? I am pretty sure you are allowed to discuss about Darmanitan-Z if you talk about it in the proper threads you just aren't allowed to make a thread about Darmanitan-Z, because we don't make threads about a single Pokemon anymore except for the suspect threads.
Here

-No Darmanitan-Z. Anywhere, any time, any reason. NO.
I guess that Tobes meant to not create threads about it since it is not worthy of discussion, etc.

OK a few questions:

1. The first post mentions what a life orb number is. Is leftover/substitute numbers the same sorta idea? What is the formula for these?

2. Which stat gives better defense against an attack, HP or Def/Spd?

3. Is there a chart somewhere that explains IV's for the hidden power attacks? Not just the max of each but if I want to lower atk/spe minimally but still get the best hidden power...

OK a few questions:

1. The first post mentions what a life orb number is. Is leftover/substitute numbers the same sorta idea? What is the formula for these?

2. Which stat gives better defense against an attack, HP or Def/Spd?

3. Is there a chart somewhere that explains IV's for the hidden power attacks? Not just the max of each but if I want to lower atk/spe minimally but still get the best hidden power...
1. Life Orb number basically means having a HP that is xx1, such as 331, so you can attack 11 times instead of 10. So same idea, there's no formula as far as I know, just pay attention to stats.

2. HP is superior. They both lower damage in the same respect, but HP technically lowers both while Def/SpD only lower one.

3. I always use this post in gamefaqs for IV spreads. It explains what IVs can be switched for what and all possible spreads for each type.

1. Life Orb number basically means having a HP that is xx1, such as 331, so you can attack 11 times instead of 10. So same idea, there's no formula as far as I know, just pay attention to stats.
What is this number for substitute or leftovers? I keep seeing references to substitute/leftovers numbers but no explanation how to calculate them.

Thanks for reply. :)

What is this number for substitute or leftovers? I keep seeing references to substitute/leftovers numbers but no explanation how to calculate them.

Thanks for reply. :)
Leftovers heals you for 1/16th of your maximum hp at the end of each round, so if you have 319hp would be healed for 19.9 hp rounded down to 19hp, but by having 320hp you get a perfect 20hp recovery.
Substitute always takes 1/4 of your maximum hp rounded down, so if you have 405hp you creates a 101hp sub and can make one more sub then if you had 404hp as you cannot use substitute if you have equal or less to 1/4th of your hp.

2. HP is superior. They both lower damage in the same respect, but HP technically lowers both while Def/SpD only lower one.
Actually, as far as I'm aware (and based on my own experience), a Life Orb number ends in a 9, not a 1. Although I may be wrong, it would explain why a number of players reduce the HP IV to 29 on things with xx1 HP.

Also, increasing defense points reduces the damage taken by an attack by about 2-3 HP per point, so if you're looking to bulk up against a specific attack with your remaining EVs, then boost the respective defense stat. Otherwise, HP is more useful simply because it increases defensive capabilities on both sides of the spectrum.

Actually HP lowers damage less, but it's generally better for covering both physical and special attacks.
Where do suspect tests take place?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)