OU Stats - December 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, Machamp has some use since Dynamicpunch causes confusion. Since confusion has suddenly become popular for some stupid reason, Machamp has a reason to be used over Conkeldurr despite being inferior in pretty much every other way. Because we all know how reliable confusion is, right?
I mean Machamp is mostly seen as the lead, but Breloom can easily outspeed it and Spore it. Its almost predictability, but its fun to get a quick confusion to leads that try to set up entry hazards like Ferrothorn and Forrestress.

*Sigh* I miss you Machamp. I remember the days of Sub3Atk Champ with Lum Berry. Even better, Flame Orb Guts Hariyama with Fake Out and Bullet Punch to say "fak u" to Aerodactyl suicide leads.

*Sigh* I miss you Machamp. I remember the days of Sub3Atk Champ with Lum Berry. Even better, Flame Orb Guts Hariyama with Fake Out and Bullet Punch to say "fak u" to Aerodactyl suicide leads.
I remember that too But what does Hariyama do in BW2. He is totally outclassed by Mienshao.

I remember that too But what does Hariyama do in BW2. He is totally outclassed by Mienshao.
Lol, I was talking about Gen 4. I thought it was implied from the "suicide lead Aerodactyl". It was fun back then, really caught a lot of people off-guard because no one know what the hell Hariyama did.

If you're going to use Victini in OU do not use V-Create. The speed and defenses drop make Victini extremely easy to revenge kill. Use Blue Flare instead, which doesn't have the same unfortunate side effects and it will potentially outdamage V-Create on a large number of threats, since many of Victini's switch-ins are physically bulky pokemon.
If you're not using V-Create, just use another Pokémon. Preferably a good one.

I don't see why Victini isn't used much more, I'm surprised he's still UU. Seriously it has about 7 good sets (Scarf, Band, Trick Room, Final Gambit, Special, Mixed, Support) so he's really unpredictable, not to mention Choice Band V-create hits harder than Choice Band Outrage from adamant Kyurem-B and this is not even in sun. It also recently got freaking Bolt Strike to shit all over water types and hits harder than STAB Zen Headbutt.
Victini cannot really shine in ou because rain is everywhere(ban rain for God's sake) and because special sets are outclassed by Volcarona, the mixed ones by infernape, and final gambit is just a gimmick. Scarf Victini is alright though.

Also, Band V-create hits just as hard as Band outrage. (1% diference lol)

Sam

i say it's all just wind in sails
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I wouldn't say 'rain is everywhere'...it's in less than 1 in 5 battles. If you add TTar and Hippo's usage sand is in about 1 in 6 battles but sand certainly isn't everywhere. But anyway, if you're going to be using Victini in OU, odds are that you are going to be using a sun team. If you have Victini in against a rain team, Politoed really isn't going to want to switch in fearing a Bolt Strike.

Besides sun though it's also going to be needing spin support because of it's weakness to rocks and the hit and run nature of Victini. That's a fair amount of support for a single pokemon, although it's not the only hting to benefit from both sun and spinners. That being said, it's not going to fit on every team, but it can most definitely shine in OU.

Spin support is normal for Sun teams, Ninetails is SR-Weak and might have to switch in a lot. The real issue there is that the number of non-Water non-shitty spinners is relatively low. The options are limited, and limits are the one thing a sun team doesn't need more of.

STAB defensively? I thought STAB meant Same Type Attack Bonus, what's the defensive part of that?
haha, woops. I think I threw the word STAB around a bit too much in that paragraph. And yeah, namehtmas, that is what i intended to write. Sorry about the confusion.

Victini and Darmanitan are good in OU in some cases, but they need too much support to jump up from underused. Darmanitan in particular makes a great scarfer, I use one that can easily clean up just by spamming Flare Blitz, but it's pretty much useless in rain aside from killing Ferro.

Both landoruses (landori ?) deserve more usage. Sheer force special landorus-I in particular can sweep so many teams it's kind of hilarious (I saw one team where at least four pokemon were 4x weak to HP ice. That was fun). It's also a little ironic that the two forms have almost the same usage despite having completely different roles.

I wouldn't say 'rain is everywhere'...it's in less than 1 in 5 battles. If you add TTar and Hippo's usage sand is in about 1 in 6 battles but sand certainly isn't everywhere.
Technically, you have to factor in that either player can be using rain to say how many battles it is in. This means it is in about 33% of battles. Sand is in 30% of battles. Sun is in 18% of battles. Hail is in 8% of battles.
There is an 11% chance of observing a weatherless vs weatherless battle if a battle is chosen at random on the ladder. That speaks volumes about the current metagame.

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Victini and Darmanitan are good in OU in some cases, but they need too much support to jump up from underused. Darmanitan in particular makes a great scarfer, I use one that can easily clean up just by spamming Flare Blitz, but it's pretty much useless in rain aside from killing Ferro.

Both landoruses (landori ?) deserve more usage. Sheer force special landorus-I in particular can sweep so many teams it's kind of hilarious (I saw one team where at least four pokemon were 4x weak to HP ice. That was fun). It's also a little ironic that the two forms have almost the same usage despite having completely different roles.
I'm definitely not complaining about Landorus-T's decent jump in usage. He is a great bulky offensive pivot that deserves to be used more. He's a great Stealth Rocker, and with a sky high 145 Attack stat he can revenge kill things just fine even if he's not invested in Attack. He even has U-Turn for switch advantage. Landorus-I's usage however pisses me off. I think Landorus should easily be in the top 20. Having access to Sheer Force to boost his already powerful moves, near perfect coverage, and no Life Orb recoil to top it off should make him easily soar up the ladder. Sure he has to set up a Rock Polish first, however he finds it quite easy since all he has to do is come into something that would normally switch out, and boom you've pretty much won at that point if the other team lacks Ice Shard. I myself, have found amazing success with him, and have even 6-0 teams. Quite an impressive feat for any Pokemon.

Landorus-T is good, and deserves to be used more, however the fact that he's used more than his extremely dangerous sweeping counterpart is quite strange to me. Landorus-I deserves much more usage, and players need to recognize that.

Sam

is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Technically, you have to factor in that either player can be using rain to say how many battles it is in. This means it is in about 33% of battles. Sand is in 30% of battles. Sun is in 18% of battles. Hail is in 8% of battles.
There is an 11% chance of observing a weatherless vs weatherless battle if a battle is chosen at random on the ladder. That speaks volumes about the current metagame.
Actually this is the opposite of how it works. The usage stats are for what percentage of teams a pokemon is on, not battles. So the total number of battles with politoed is going to be a bit less than it's usage statistics. So rain is actually going to be a bit closer to 16 percent of battles, not 33. Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure this is the right way to look at the statistics.

Actually this is the opposite of how it works. The usage stats are for what percentage of teams a pokemon is on, not battles. So the total number of battles with politoed is going to be a bit less than it's usage statistics. So rain is actually going to be a bit closer to 16 percent of battles, not 33. Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure this is the right way to look at the statistics.
The usage statistics are how often they are used.. So if I ladder with Caterpie and do 500 battles with it, it will have at least 500 uses.

For Politoed, the total number of times it was on a team used in a battle was 174969 and the total number of teams used were 961610. 174969/961610=18.195% which is its usage.

If Politoed is used on 174969 teams, and there were 480805 battles, then 174969/480805=36.4% of total battles it participates in assuming that there are no Rain vs Rain matchups. That's just as simple as double the chances.

To find out how many actual battles have Politoed, you have to do 1-(1-.18195)^2. You have 82% chance of no Politoed on the first team and 82% chance of no Politoed on the second team, but an 82%*82% chance of no Politoed on either team. If you do the math, it comes out to about 33% of battles have at least one Politoed. Which would also mean that 36.4-33=3.4% of battles have TWO Politoeds involved. You can also get close to that number by doing .18195*.18195 which is the way to find out how many battles have two Politoeds.

So yea. 11% chance of having a weatherless battles. That's without counting rain dance, sunny day, hail and sandstorm as moves.

Sam

Fair enough on the actual toed stats. However, the original point I was trying to make is that rain isn't actually used that much more than sand, and therefore I don't think it's as much of a dominating force in the metagame as some people are led to believe. You see people throw around 'rain is everywhere' and while 33 percent is a lot more than what I thought (which was the 18 percent obviously), sand teams are still 30 percent and people aren't saying sand is everywhere either. I doubt there are many rain vs. weatherless battles, and while politoed may have na easier time taking out the other weather starters (bar specially defensive ttar), I don't find it as dominant as others.

Well, even if this "33%" is mathematically correct, it's not the right number to consider if you're wondering about using a pokemon that is weak under rain.

Because if you use it, you obviously won't use rain yourself, so the actual chance to face a rain team is actually 18%, so your rain-weak pokemon might be useful 82% of the time, which is not that bad if you're well prepared to face rain with the rest of your team.

Landorus-T is good, and deserves to be used more, however the fact that he's used more than his extremely dangerous sweeping counterpart is quite strange to me.
I think this is because Landorus-T is more of a support pokemon, so people use it to fill gaps in their teams, while Landorus-I can't do much other than sweep. So, if you need a defensive pivot, stealth rocker, or sweeper, you go for Landorus-T, and this variety of roles probably drives up its usage a bit. However, Incarnate form does sweep extremely well. I don't have a problem with them having similar usage; they both need to go up.

1. it can't do much of anything vs offensive teams due its low speed and frailty, Infernape can't 1HKO much of anything without boosts either, which it is not getting in this metagame
2. all it can do is wall break then, but pretty much any team with a defensive core has an infernape counter or a solid infernape check naturally
3. outside of that, again it can't even provide most team support because its defenses suck

Compare that to Terrakion, which can with just 2 moves (as opposed to 4 slot move syndrome infernape) break through defensive cores and possibly sweep. Terrakion also nicely takes hits from Volcarona making a nice check to it. Even Keldeo can possibly sweep, or wall break teams with STAB hydro pump in the rain, defensive teams have issues with it if they lack a direct counter. Keldeo also have not that shaby defenses and resists rocks, so it can take a hit or 2.

lol wut

Did you just say Infernape was slow.

What is this I don't even.

I can understand you saying everything else but...slow? What?

In Gen IV, Infernape could outspeed basically everything unboosted, with the exception of a few threats, like Starmie, Jolteon, and Gengar. However, Gen V added many new threats to the metagame that outspeed and OHKO Nape, such as Lati@s, Tornadus-T, Alakazam became relevant, and the Musketeers generally do the whole "108 speed fighting type" thing better. Also fast scarfers like Keldeo, Terrakion, and Salamence are on most teams, so Infernape finds itself getting outsped and OHKO'd too often. And nobody suggest Scarf Infernape because thats a set thats been proven to be awful.

Okay, the stats on Ninjask are really interesting.
OU: 3.049%
UU: 1.680%
RU: 2.261%
NU: 5.111%
It is within a few ranks of the cutoff in every tier. Even UU, where it was lowest, it was #62 in rank, and the last mon in the tier is Houndoom, at #56. Ninjask is almost like Ditto, it has a purpose in all tiers. Even a slight change in the meta could make it rise to anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)