Absol (Sombra) holding: Absolite
Ability: Super Luck
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Play Rough // Rock Slide
- Protect

Absol was the first Pokemon on my team. I fell in love with it Generation III, and that hasn't changed throughout the years.
Originally, this was a Scope Lens, always crit build; while that works in the game, it failed miserably competitively and became something similar to this. After much playtesting, I realized that it was dying far too easily, but I couldn't buff it up, without taking away from its attack or speed (both of which it needs). Instead, I built it so it takes a hit, doubles its attack, and starts wrecking house.
I prefer Play Rough over Rock Slide, but that's mostly because I don't have any Dragon or Ice type moves.

==xx==

Greninja (Hexproof) holding: ---
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn // Spikes
- Acrobatics
- Shadow Sneak
- Protect

I know many of your first thoughts are going to be "Why Physical Greninja?" I whole-heartedly encourage you to use it, before you say it is outclassed by Special Greninja.
Primarily, because I like it. I've been playing with it for almost a year, and I haven't found fault with it yet.
Secondarily, because of metagaming. Everyone expects a Special Greninja and brings out Special Walls (and they they faint).
About this particular build: I call this Greninja, Hexproof, because it's difficult to hit effectively, and my ties with MtG. The concept of this set is that each move provides me with at least one immunity.
U-Turn, until very recently, was Spikes. I used to have a Stealth Rock / Dragon Tail team, and that was useful and provided powerful Electric type immunity. Now that I got rid of that combination, U-Turn is more useful.
Acrobatics is a very powerful STAB move that takes down a majority of switch-ins in one hit. It also combos with Shadow Sneak to take down Mach Punch users.
Shadow Sneak protects me from Fighting and Normal type moves, and also combos with Acrobatics as mentioned above.
Protect lets me see what my opponent is thinking of using in case I can't guess, or if I need to stall out a toxic.

==xx==

Volcarona (Sunbeam) holding: Life Orb
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Heat Wave
- Bug Buzz
- Giga Drain // Psychic
- Quiver Dance

Volcarona is one of my favorite Pokemon, and on this team is its sole Special Attacker. This particular build is very powerful, but without protection from Stealth Rocks, is very bad.
Heat Wave and Bug Buzz are both there for powerful STAB moves. I choose Heat Wave because I prefer accuracy to power (to an extent, sorry Flamethrower).
Giga Drain was a coverage move that also negates the downside to Life Orb. You have to get the Gen V one to do it, which is why it used to be Psychic. Giga Drain is better by far.
Quiver Dance helps this set up to be a special wall and sweeper at the same time. If your opponent mispredicts, you can easily sweep with Volcarona after two Quiver Dances, and can cause a lot of trouble after just one.
Sadly, Volcarona needs replacing. I only use it rare cases, or as sacrifice fodder to a Brave Birding Talonflame. I originally tried a Scarfed Braviary (another favorite), but then I have no special-based Pokemon.

==xx==

Eelektross (Clover) holding: Assault Vest
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Volt Switch // Dragon Tail
- Aqua Tail
- Drain Punch // Brick Break
- Fire Punch

As a foreword, I specifically made this as slow as possible to make use of Volt Switch. Then, I got a Trick Room user of my own, and he got better for it.
My Eelektross is my coverage Pokemon and has gone through many iterations. He started as a special-based Pokemon (I used to have two physical, two special and one for each defense) with Acid Spray / Giga Drain / Flamethrower / Volt Switch; but then I switched to a Dragon Tail user to support my Stealth Rocks. After I removed Stealth Rocks from my team, I kept him as a buff attacker. I have Volt Switch in place of Dragon Tail now, because it can provide a decent switch over to Gliscor to start his Toxic Orb for free. Dragon Tail can still phaze Pokemon as necessary though. Other moves are coverage, and Drain Punch is to make him last longer, but Brick Break has its merits.

==xx==

Gliscor (Venom) holding: Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Toxic
- Substitute
- Protect
- Earthquake // Dig

Gliscor is a fairly recent addition to the team (he replaced a Weavile), but I love playing games of attrition and Gliscor was too tempting to pass up. Once Gliscor entered my team, much of my team changed to compensate for the loss of Weavile and the gain of stall tactics.
I feel this is enough of a typical build that it doesn't need much explaining. Toxic your opponent and wait it out. My EV's are set up so that my defenses are almost the same (it helps me in predicting when I can Substitute), and to prevent any "random" special attacks from taking me out. I say random for those cases where they have a physical attacker with one special move gig.
Earthquake also used to be Dig. Yes, it's different, but I used it as Protect #2. Also, when a Pokemon would die of toxic that turn, I would dig, to (hopefuly) encourage awkward switch-ins. That's also the reason why I didn't put any EV's in speed.

==xx==

Carbink (Kryptonite) holding: Light Clay
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Trick Room // Stealth Rock

The newest addition to my team! He helps my less buff Pokemon take a few hits, and he takes down popular Pokemon who like to set up. This was originally a Stealth Rock team, but I didn't like how it was playing out, so I switched it. I gave Carbink HP: Fire to take down Ferrothorns and Scizors that want to set up more than attack. And I gave it Trick Room to help it, and Eelektross, go first. Trick Room might change, but it might not. I keep going back and forth, but it's been this way for a few weeks, and I like it.

==xx==

I'm looking to switch Volcarona out, or find a way to make it more compatible with my team.

Hey man, I just want to make a couple of quick recommendations for your team.

Absol: Switch protect out for either knock off or fire blast. Without leftovers recovery, protect is kind of meaningless unless you know for a fact that something is choice locked. A misplayed protect can even harm your team with an unexpected setup move or a free switch. Adding one of the two moves I mentioned gives you the ability to either hit harder (knock off) or get past common checks (fire blast). Give both a try, but I guarantee it will help you out a ton.

Greninja: Physical Greninja is fine, but your move choices leave a little to be desired. Again with protect, unless you know for a fact that the opponent is choice locked or had leftovers, it may just cause problems for you in the long run. Consider waterfall, rock slide, or night slash for some extra coverage. I honestly am not a big fan of the use of no item acrobatics since it only helps acrobatics.
252 Atk Protean Greninja Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 193-228 (30 - 35.5%) -- 26.4% chance to 3HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Greninja Waterfall vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 183-216 (28.5 - 33.6%) -- 0.2% chance to 3HKO
It's your choice though I guess. Acro does hit harder than life orb waterfall.

Volcarona is fine as is, but I would recommend Fire Blast, fiery dance, or flamethrower over heat wave and instead of giga drain or psychic, consider hidden power ground to get past heatran. Just a tip for playing volc, don't setup until tflame is gone, or if you do setup, don't be afraid to just switch out to gliscor or elektross.

Elektross: It has very little viability over the rotoms, but honestly, neither fit that well on your team in the first place. Consider using another bulky attacker like Kyurem Black, Dragonite, Garchomp, Scizor, etc. It will benefit you greatly.

Gliscor: Earthquake is almost always a better option as it hits harder and doesn't give your opponent an obvious free switch into something.

Carbink: With Diancie being officially released, I don't think that there is any reason to run Carbink anymore. It can do the exact same things that Carbink can, but it's hidden power fires can actually cause legitimate problems for ferrothorn. It also has diamond storm if you prefer. I guess sturdy is kind of nice, but it's rare to see it in use. There are actually quite a few nice screeners that might work better for your team like this klefki

Klefki @ Light Clay
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Spikes
- Thunderwave/foul play

Anyway, I hope I was helpful.

Thakns for the advice!
Absol can ditch protect as it was mostly leftover from its previous moveset (it would protect when it Mega-Evolved), but now that it can take a hit, it falls short. I'm a bit iffy on fireblast, but I'm more iffy about having two dark moves even if they serve different purposes. I'll try fire first as I've toyed with the idea before.

Greninja, protect is more defense against Gengar. It beats a faster shadow sneak and gets around shadow ball. It can provoke them into a fighting move which my shadow sneak can then avoid... If I swapped it out for anything it would be rock slide as I have a doubles greninja with that on it and I like how it works.

Volcarona, I really like Giga Drain as it helps give it staying power against some popular switch-ins (Tyranitar comes to mind), but HP: Ground seems really necessary and hits Tyranitar as well, I am just missing that life gain... Maybe I can do the wise glasses instead of Life Orb? It's a bit less power, but I don't worry about as much life loss...

Eelektross, I could try a Gyarados. That would provide another potential Mega-Evolver so that they wouldn't necessarily know not to status Absol. It's also a Physical attacker and can dragon dance. I'd look into that. If not, Scizor would be my next choice.

Finally, I was actually thinking about Klefki. I chose Carbink because it was easier coming up with a name :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)