OU team (beginner)

Well hello everybody.

I'm still a beginner, and I want a good solid team for learning to battle better. This is what I got and tried with so far with some common OU pokemons. Everything can be changed, but prefeably I'd keep scizor and blissey in it (but if really needed they can be replaced), since this gonna be my wi-fi team, and I already rnged and trained a scizor and blissey. Anyway here is the team:

Rock Paper Scizor (Scizor) (M) @ Choice Band Trait: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SDef
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Pursuit

I choose scizor because if it's power en coverage it has, as the number one in OU. Bullet punch is also favored because of the priority it has, ending lots of weakened pokemons. U-turn can be used to scout, and he is bulky enough to attack after taking a hit from switch in.

Hardboiled (Blissey) (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Stealth Rock
- Softboiled
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic

As special wall I took blissey, simply for being the best special wall and very reliable since it takes every special hit regarding the type (except for psyschok, wich tentacruel also can't take. I def got some type coverage problems, but I don't know what's best to replace or change, thats where you people come in (A) ). Blissey sets up stealth rock on the switch, in further into the match heals with softboiled, toxic enemies if not done by toxic spikes, and seismic to deal dmg.

Jet (Latios) (M) @ Choice Specs
Trait:
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Draco Meteor
- Surf
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Starmie @ Life Orb
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Rapid Spin

Replacment for tentacruel. Since other defensive mons are advised, they advised me to go for a more offensive rapid spinner capable of hitting hard itself, with great coverage, starmie was advised.

Ferrothorn (M) @ Shed Shell
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SDef
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip

Advised defensive mon. Can lay spikes, leech seed and hit hard with gyro and power whip. Good defensive coverage with jellicent, and blissey to take the special hits.

Jellicent (M) @ Mystic Water
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Scald
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Taunt

The last defensive pokemon wich was advised, toegether with ferrothorn for good defensive coverage. Can take fighting hits for blissey and blocks spinners (since my team got spikes and stealth rock, this might help). Scald/wil o wisp to criple attackers, taunt for breaking set up sweepers or support pokemon (I love taunt)

Changes in bold.

Old replaced pokemons:

I'm a Fish (Tentacruel) (F) @ Black Sludge
Trait: Rain Dish
EVs: 252 HP / 236 Def / 20 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic Spikes
- Scald
- Protect

Tentacruel is my support physical wall. This team does lack some notable coverage with just these 2 walls like said before, so advise on that apriciated. Anyway tentacruel for rapid spin or simply removing toxic spikes by being used, scald to burn physical pokemons, and protect to let the enemy gain dmg from burn or poison.

Rainbow Dash (Keldeo) @ Choice Scarf
Trait:
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Surf
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Secret Sword

The first special attacker I chose keldeo. I found previous choises mostly being killed by being outspeeded, so I choise a scarfed version. Keldeo has great strenght and coverage while having secret sword to hit special walls.

Dino (Dragonite) (F) @ Lum Berry
Trait: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Fire Punch
- ExtremeSpeed

As my second physical pokemon, I chose the pokemon who teared apart my previous team try every single time. Dragnoite is bulkyenough to take a few hits (especially fire hits from switch in scizor, and thunder/grass from tentacruel en keldeo) huge power, DD for sweeping, and extremspeed for prioity.

Second special attacker Latios. Choice specs latios is just insaly powerfull, and even pokemon who resist draco meteor take huge dmg. Plus latios can take a hit or two, and having levitate never hurts.

So, thats what I got for now. Please give ANY advise you can think of what could be better in this team, but also tips of what to think about when making teams! I'm still a beginner thats eager to learn (keep that in mind if you think this team is terrible haha)

One last small question, Is mew OU viable? I have a support set in my game, in I "thought" it was pretty good, but I was advise awhile ago to not use UU pokemons in ou team (except if your really good in using em?) anyway is mew usable with support set? Or do you people advise against it? (question answered)

Thanks for reading and the help.

Wazzup Wazzup360!

First off, teambuilding is a lot more than just putting a lot of common pokemon together on the same team. They have to have synergy in typing as well as utility. What you want to do is come up with one theme to build around. For instance, weather teams use pokemon that assist keeping the weather up and pokemon that get a great advantage from weather. Hyper/Heavy Offense teams use six powerful pokemon to tear through unsuspecting teams. This team looks like you want to use a balanced playstyle, which includes a good mix of defensive and offensive pokemon. As a result, I'll give a rate that includes Blissey being the core of the defense and Scizor being the core of the offense. Since you want this as a wifi team as well, I'll do my best to make sure each pokemon has a unique item.

Since Scizor is really not a fan of getting pummeled by entry hazards repeatedly, I'd suggest Life Orb Starmie as a replacement for Tentacruel. This gives you a fast and effective Rapid Spin user that even has the potential to sweep weakened teams in the late game. Since Scizor is such a threat to Dark types, Choice Specs Latios is fine on this team the way it is, since HP Fire will be your best bet in dealing with Steel types.

As for the defense, you want two pokemon that will complement Blissey well. I would choose Shed Shell Ferrothorn and Jellicent. Ferrothorn allows you to set up more entry hazards and allows you to hit speedy pokemon with a powerful Gyro Ball. Power Whip can also hurt bulky water types like Jellicent. Speaking of the jellyfish, Jellicent makes a good defensive core with Blissey and Ferrothorn since it resists the things that they hate. Blissey doesn't like taking Fighting type moves which Jellicent is immune to and Ferrothorn (and Scizor for that matter) can't take Fire type moves, which Jellicent resists. Scald and Will-o-wisp can cripple physical sweepers while Taunt and Recover frustrate opposing walls. Since you can't duplicate items in wifi, you could use Mystic Water on Jellicent to give scald a little more umph.

Well, I realize that this changes half of your team, but with the suggested changes, you would have a nicely balanced team that generally checks each others weaknesses. If you have questions or anything, just PM me.

Here's the sets:
Starmie @ Life Orb
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Rapid Spin

Ferrothorn (M) @ Shed Shell
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SDef
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip

Jellicent (M) @ Mystic Water
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Scald
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Taunt

I already knew about offense, hyper offence and balance and such (kinda). I did more reading then I did fighting haha. Reading stuff seems easy, but actually putting it too use, allot harder. Anyway I will try these changes and come back later to see how it goes! One more thing, Wi-Fi team I pretty much ment main smogon metagme but pokes that I can make on the actual game (for example, I can;t make a good jirachi until a event is released. Pokemons as keldeo arent a problem, I rnged em while they came out, just am limited to a few). I just wana make a team and challange people by going to chats or something. This way I can use duplicate items, right? What items do you advise then? Also any answer on the mew question? (A)

Anyway I'ma try them out, with maybe a few different items haha.

Oh okay, lol. I thought you meant the actual Nintendo Wifi. If you're just going to be on Showdown, then I would definitely suggest Leftovers on Ferrothorn and Jellicent as well as Blissey.

Before I started seriously teambuilding, I used to do similar things like just placing fast pokemon or strong pokemon on the same team without much thought to synergy. Then I started looking through the RMT archive, many of these teams having "teambuilding" sections where the authors go through the process of creating the team. I found these to be especially helpful, since it wasn't just theory, but it was actual players creating successful teams and showing you how they did it. It's also a good idea to try and base your RMTs on those since they are visually appealing as well.

And finally, the Mew question. The short answer is yes. That's because I say that any pokemon is OU viable. I've swept entire teams using a Spinda (granted, it was at the end of a very long Baton Pass chain, but still). Here's the long answer: Mew is the classic "jack of all trades, master of none" pokemon. The sheer number of moves it can learn are both a blessing and a curse since it has huge versatility, but suffers from "four moveslot syndrome". Also, Psychic isn't the greatest of defensive types since it only has two resists. However, Will-O-Wisp and defensive investment can allow Mew to take physical hits all day while still outspeeding common offensive threats. If you want to use a Support Mew, you can try it with this team since it's usually a good partner with Blissey (she takes special hits, Mew takes physical ones). Also, Scizor scares away the dark types that can hurt Mew. Put it in over Jellicent to see if you like using it since they both do basically the same thing.

Hey this is a good team overall, the synergy is good. However I can think of a few changes.

Firstly, you are using Tentacruel in the wrong role. Even if you invest 252 EV's in defense along with a defense +ve nature, his defense stat will be 251, lower than his special defense stat with zero investment and a neutral nature (which will be 276). So i suggest you use Tentacruel as more of a mixed wall, with a slight lean towards special attacks.
So infact your team has 2 special walls and no physical ones. You said you would be reluctant to replace Blissey, but if you are willing I would suggest you replace it with Ferrothorn, preferably with this set :

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability : Iron Barbs
EV's : 252 HP, 88 Def, 168 SpD
Nature : Relaxed (+Def,-Spe)
Moves : Power Whip / Leech Seed / Stealth Rock / Gyro Ball

Ferrothorn and Tentacruel have amazing defensive synergy with each other. Combined together they resist or are immune to 15 of the 17 types in the game, being neutral only to Flying and Ground. Additionally they can handle each other's counters very easily with Tentacruel being able to switch in to Fighting and Fire types and Scizor, while Ferrothorn can switch in on most Psychic and Electric types.
Also I would advise using Toxic over Toxic Spikes on Tentacruel, it's matter of personal choice. Toxic has always worked better for me.

Secondly, I would advise you switch items on your Keldeo and Latios. Give Latios the scarf and Keldeo the specs. Specs Keldeo is similarly powerful and can do insane amounts of damage with hydro pump to just about everything. Keldeo has a base SpA stat of 129, just one less than Latios, so there isn't much of a difference. Plus Keldeo isn't Pursuit bait.
Latios with a Scarf is so fast, it's ridiculous. With a Scarf, Latios becomes your main revenge killer, as it can outrun every unboosted and almost every boosted pokemon as well (some even at +2). Garchomp, Salamence, Dragonite, Hydreigon, Haxorus, Cloyster(even after Shell Smash), Terrakion, Keldeo, Modest Venusaur, Alakazam, Jolteon, Starmie, Gengar are all outsped and can OHKO'd with stunning reliablitiy. Also I would suggest using Trick over HP Fire, as you already have Keldeo and Scizor to deal with the Steel types that would bother Latios. Trick lets you cripple almost every defensive pokemon, as well lets you lock Volcarona into Bug Buzz after it has a Quiver Dance Boost, making it infinitely more manageable.

Good luck with the team, let me know how you liked the rate.

Thanks both of you for the replies! I will try both team changes out for myself, my preferences so far leaning to the changes of the first reply, yet what the other person says is def true and will try it! Thanks both!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)