OU team takes flight!

Hi all OU enthusiasts!
This is my first time posting my awesome team in RMT.
Firstly, this is a flying mono-type team.
Secondly, over a long period of time, this team has won 90%+ battles (along with correct predictions too
)
Thirdly, I welcome all suggestions to improve my team (with other flying-types of course
)
Thank you and enjoy!
PRESENTING TO YOU... MY MONO-FLYING OU TEAM!!!
Team
#thatPower (Staraptor) @ Choice Band
Trait: Reckless
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Brave Bird
- Double Edge
- U-turn
- Close Combat
This is the standard Banded Staraptor set, the only difference worth noting is that instead of Jolly, it has Adamant nature for more attacking power. Staraptor is (my favourite pokemon) often neglected because of its frailness to the other OU pokemons, so here I am proving them wrong: Staraptor has an awesome attack stat and an awesome ability to boost its primary STAB moves: Brave Bird and Double Edge. Staraptor has Close Combat for additional coverage and U-turn to scout. Experience has told me that Brave Bird/Double Edge always OHKOs Politoed (except for the rare 252/252 Bold set), Abomasnow, Ninetales, Scizor, Latios, 2HKOs physically defensive Jellicent and many more; Brave Bird 2HKOs Forretress, etc. Close Combat OHKOs Tyranitar (duh), 2HKOs Ferrothorn. The downside of this set is that since Staraptor is not Jolly-natured, it can be easily revenge-killed by faster pokemon. Skarmory totally walls Staraptor, who can only get away by using U-turn.
HonCW (Honchkrow) @ Life Orb
Trait: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 SAtk
Naughty Nature (+Atk, -SDef)
- Brave Bird
- Sucker Punch
- Heat Wave
- Superpower
This Honchkrow set is surprisingly effective in OU, even more effective in OU than in UU! Sucker Punch is one of Honchkrow's STAB moves and the only priority moves in my entire team, capable of OHKOing Jolteon, etc. while gaining attack boosts at the same time. Heat Wave is always effective in surprising Ferrothorn, Forretress (after Stealth Rock to negate Sturdy) and Scizor, thus an good coverage move as well as an alternative for me to obtain Moxie boosts at the same time. Superpower is another good coverage move and Brave Bird, again, being the strongest STAB move of Honchkrow, eliminating physically weak pokemons, and capable of eliminating the more bulky ones with the attack boosts given by Moxie. However, if Sucker Punch is used at the wrong time and the opponents sets up, it would prove disastrous for Honchkrow and probably the rest of the team.
RockyTank (Skarmory) @ Rocky Helmet
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Brave Bird
- Stealth Rock
- Whirlwind
- Roost

A staple Skarmory set. However, Rocky Helmet serves a better purpose than Leftovers, especially when countering physically offensive pokemon's moves, such as Outrage, Close Combat, etc, while dealing damage to the opponent at the same time with Rocky Helmet. This set is straightforward, set up stealth rocks, tank physical hits and roost to recover health, whirlwind to remove stat boosts and brave bird for coverage. This Skarmory is also essential in removing one of my team's greatest threats --- Scarf Keldeo (esp in rain). At full health, Skarmory can survive at least 1 hit from Keldeo and deal 72.83% - 85.8% damage, before being able to knock Keldeo out or threaten it with Honchkrow's Sucker Punch.
Dragon-Slayer (Thundurus-Therian) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Atk
Mild Nature (+SAtk, -Def)
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Ice
- Superpower
- U-turn
Scarf Thundurus-Therian is one of the essential revenge killer in my team, especially when countering dragons (esp those that are 4x weak to ice). Many may ask why U-turn and not Volt Switch? Reason: opponents nowadays tend to have ground types like Dugtrio and Gastrodon in their teams and also volt absorbers like Jolteon and Thundurus-Therian, so its difficult to make a safe Volt Switch. Superpower is move which surprises Tyranitar, who would otherwise expect Focus Blast, it OHKOs Tyranitar, unfortunately, after Stealth Rock damage, and hits Blissey much harder.
Landlords Are Intimidating (Thundurus-Therian) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 Def
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Superpower
- U-turn
Scarf Landorus-Therian is a surprise revenge killer, since many people expect a bulky Landorus-T set. Intimidate allows Landorus-Therian to get a more safer switch into physical attacks, other than Ice Punch, of course. Landorus-Therian outspeeds unboosted Volcarona, OHKOing it with Stone Edge, 2HKOs Jirachi if it was a Thunder Wave user and not a Body Slam user. This is a rather good late game sweeper too.
Bouncer (Xatu) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Def
Rash Nature (+SAtk, -SDef)
- Trick
- Psychic
- Heat Wave
- U-turn
Intially a TrickScarf set with support moves like Thunder Wave, now a Specially Offensive scarfer which is also again surprising to many. Gengar, which is obviously faster than Xatu, never expect/suspect that Xatu has a Scarf, so in the end it gets outsped and OHKOed by Psychic. What's more, this set completely walls Forretress, Ferrothorn and Skarmory and is capable of crippling them by Tricking them a Choice Scarf and/or ruining them with Heat Wave. U-turn, just like always, scouts the opponent's moves.
Overview
You would have realized that 3/6 of my team is Scarfed while 1 is Banded. Why? Let me explain, firstly, flying types are already disadvantaged in the first place, due to Stealth Rock, which unfairly steals their health, thus, this team is aimed at finishing the game ASAP and not to stall. Feel free to try this team out :D​

Kudos for not sticking to the beaten road.

Scarf Keldeo in the rain seems to do massive damage to your team with Surf/Hydro pump. It might just clean sweep you if Stealth Rock is on the field (Due to mispredicting a Ttar etc). I would suggest you slap in a Gyarados somewhere. I would suggest swapping out Skarmory, and making Landorus-T a bulky set.

Hello there! It's nice to see some creativity in the OU tier.

Getting down to business. Please, though I have said this in many other threads, you need an Importable. I'll finish the rate after you've put it down. Cheers!

Here is the importable

#thatPower (Staraptor) @ Choice Band
Trait: Reckless
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
- Brave Bird
- Double Edge
- U-turn
- Close Combat

HonCW (Honchkrow) @ Life Orb
Trait: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 SAtk
Naughty Nature (+Atk, -SDef)
- Brave Bird
- Sucker Punch
- Heat Wave
- Superpower

RockyTank (Skarmory) @ Rocky Helmet
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Brave Bird
- Stealth Rock
- Whirlwind
- Roost

Dragon-Slayer (Thundurus-Therian) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Atk
Mild Nature (+SAtk, -Def)
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Ice
- Superpower
- U-turn

Landlords Are Intimidating (Thundurus-Therian) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 Def
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Superpower
- U-turn

Bouncer (Xatu) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Def
Rash Nature (+SAtk, -SDef)
- Trick
- Psychic
- Heat Wave
- U-turn

Thx so much to both parkerseeker and kabaticstorm

Scarf Keldeo in the rain seems to do massive damage to your team with Surf/Hydro pump. It might just clean sweep you if Stealth Rock is on the field (Due to mispredicting a Ttar etc). I would suggest you slap in a Gyarados somewhere. I would suggest swapping out Skarmory, and making Landorus-T a bulky set.
That's a good suggestion. However, the downside of this swap is that I lose a physical tank... so now it would be hard to counter outrage/stone edge/etc moves. Furthermore, it is always easy to predict when the rocks will come in, precisely at that turn, I would switch into Xatu for the magic bounce, and forretress and ferrothorn are notorious stealth rock users, so heat wave takes care of them, preventing from setting up stealth rocks again. As for forretress, since it has sturdy, it would go for rapid spin the following turn so I don't have to worry about it. But cheers for the suggestion!!

Btw, Keldeo's Surf in sandstorm (in the presence of T-Tar) cannot OHKO Skarmory after SR, but though Hydro Pump can, it has the gimmicky 80% hit chance which is otherwise rather not reliable.

Hello, nice mono kacaw team :)

While it's for sure not a team to use in serious matches it can be improved a bit so I will give you some advice. First of all, as Parkerseeker already said you're really weak to Keldeo mainly to the Choice Scarf variants which can outspeed your whole team and hit it with Surf / Hydro Pump in rain, therefore you may try Gyarados instead of something (perhaps instead of Skarmory or Landorus-T, if you decide to remove Skarmory then use Landorus-T with the Stealth Rock of course), it should mitigate your weakness to Water-type attacks in general. Then, you're quite weak to Sun team too so I'd try Moltres to check the Sun sweeper and to hit with strong Fire-type attacks as well. A monotype team can't work pretty well in OU of course but you can try my changes anyways and see how they goes.

Good luck!

Hello, nice mono kacaw team :)

While it's for sure not a team to use in serious matches it can be improved a bit so I will give you some advice. First of all, as Parkerseeker already said you're really weak to Keldeo mainly to the Choice Scarf variants which can outspeed your whole team and hit it with Surf / Hydro Pump in rain, therefore you may try Gyarados instead of something (perhaps instead of Skarmory or Landorus-T, if you decide to remove Skarmory then use Landorus-T with the Stealth Rock of course), it should mitigate your weakness to Water-type attacks in general. Then, you're quite weak to Sun team too so I'd try Moltres to check the Sun sweeper and to hit with strong Fire-type attacks as well. A monotype team can't work pretty well in OU of course but you can try my changes anyways and see how they goes.

Good luck!
That is a good suggestion. I'll try it out, however, chances are it will get killed by Keldeo too, and also don't forget, in the case where Stealth Rock has been set up, Moltres gets 50% damage already. Also, Moltres gets easily walled by T-Tar, which can trap using Pursuit, Politoed, who shrugs off damages even from Hidden Power Grass and OHKO with Surf and Heatran, if I lack Hidden Power Ground. Cheers for the suggestion!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)