Other OU Teambuilding Competition V3 - Round 10 (Teambuilding)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skarmory (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Def / 240 SDef
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Toxic
- Roost
- Defog
- Counter

Dugtrio (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Naughty Nature
IVs: 21 HP / 0 Def / 0 SDef
- Reversal
- Rock Tomb
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock

Charizard (M) @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 248 HP / 140 SDef / 120 Spd
Careful Nature
- Roost
- Fire Punch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Dragon Claw

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Rest
- Scald
- Sleep Talk
- Calm Mind

Tornadus (Tornadus-Therian) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 132 HP / 160 SAtk / 216 Spd
Timid Nature
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Hurricane
- Focus Blast

Clefable (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
- Moonlight
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Flamethrower

I built this team roughly 5 months ago, before Charizard X stall was ever a thing. This explanation is going to suck, because I picked all 6 mons at once. I instantly knew what was going to work. Though this was before I had Tornadus-T. I had used Bisharp to help handle Deoxys-D, but later swapped it out for Nado-T when Landorus-i usage rose. Anywho, lets just say I started with Charizard-X, because it's such a great mon. I didn't want Stealth Rock to hold it back, I wanted a team that can almost always keep it off with good play (this team loses if you can't do that). I figured Defog Skarmory + Dugtrio would do a great job at this, Skarmory uses Defog and Dugtrio traps whatever uses Stealth Rock that Skarm cannot handle. A nifty niche that Dugtrio holds on stall is its ability to trap a large portion of stall breakers. This EV and IV spread pretty much makes everything bring Trio down to Sash and allows it effectively trap DD Zard X and Bisharp, very notable threats. But keep in mind that this team loses to teams in which Dugtrio has to handle multiple mons (ie. Stealth Rock user + Bisharp + Mega Mawile). Next, I decided to use Suicune as a check to some Ground types, Talonflame, and Keldeo. It's also a fantastic stall breaker. Lastly, Unaware CM Clefable was thrown in for its ability to handle certain set up sweepers (looking at you BD Azumarill, Manaphy, and Suicune) and some Fighting types.

There's pretty much two ways to play this team: 1. to stall traditionally and break them apart slowly or 2. set up either Suicune or Clefable and go for a Calm Mind sweep.

This team has notable weaknesses to teams that can keep Stealth Rock up (luckily there's not too many that can actually do that vs. this team), solid play with a strong Electric type (forces you to sac something early game), and needing to overwork Dugtrio.

Overall, this is a pretty solid team that'll only get better after we get the results of the most recent Suspect test. This version of the team sucks on ladder by the way, so don't bother using it there :)

Last edited:

Here is the importable:
Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
Lonely Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rock Tomb
- Reversal

Tornadus-Therian (M) @ Assault Vest
EVs: 132 HP / 160 SAtk / 216 Spd
Timid Nature
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Heat Wave
- Hurricane

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 32 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 220 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- U-turn

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Defog
- Draco Meteor
- Thunderbolt
- Psyshock

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 208 Def / 48 Spd
Bold Nature
- Pain Split
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp

Talonflame @ Choice Band
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 48 HP / 252 Atk / 208 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Sleep Talk

Here is the explanation:
When I first saw this core, I thought it would perform well in a volt-turn team. Since Dugtrio is the bane on Heatran's existence, I decided to build around Sword Dance Mega Scizor. I then added my defogger Latios, this led me to pick lonely as the nature from Dugtrio since it beats most pursuit trappers consistently excluding choice band Scizor and choice scarf Tyranitar which both of which Mega Scizor sets up on. Dugtrio runs minimal bulk since you want it to reach the maximum reversal damage output after one hit. Rock Tomb is to help get the 2hko on scarf pokémon since Dugtrio is quite weak. Latios runs thunderbolt as it's coverage move to hit Skarmory and Azumarill. The HP ivs are for a life orb number of 299HP. Tornadus's set is nearly straight from Jukain's Assault Vest Tornadus analysis except for actually using Heat Wave over Focus Blast. Heat Wave enable you to another move that misses less than Hurricane while all targets that you miss out on from the lack of Focus Blast are covered by Dugtrio. Scizor runs the Sword Dance, Bullet Punch, and Knock Off as well as U-turn to keep the momentum going. The evs enable Scizor to outspeed Rotom-Wash's that invest 48 evs in speed. Rotom-Wash was added to the team as a addition pivot, a fly spam check, and a sand team check. Rotom-Wash uses the the typical physical defensive ev spread with 252 HP evs hitting a leftovers number and the speed evs to outspeed 8 speed evs Landorus-T. Rotom-Wash helps weakens Mega Scizor's checks and counters and provides additional set up opportunities by providing burnt Pokémon. Last, I added Choice Band Talonflame to the team as a revenge killer. Talonflame also weakens Zapdos and Rotom-W for Scizor and lure's in Heatran for Dugtrio. Sleep Talk is used since Breloom and Amoonguss are annoying to deal without a grass type to absorb Spore. The speed evs allow Talonflame to revenge kill Mega Pinsir if it does not have Feint.

Overall, this team is enjoyable to use from my experience until the haxing happens and is a solid volt-turn team.

Last edited:

Dread Arceus

total cockhead
[21:22:22] Dread Arceus: VoltTurn TornTrio ft. Memento Dugtrio, y/n?
[21:36:20] TFL: sounds not good. make it work!
Oh well, the team's kinda fun to play with lol

Tornadus-Therian (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature
- U-turn
- Air Slash
- Knock Off
- Heat Wave

Dugtrio (M) @ Focus Sash
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Memento
- Reversal
- Stealth Rock

Gyarados (M) @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 32 HP / 252 Atk / 224 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang

Latias (F) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Healing Wish
- Draco Meteor
- Defog
- Thunderbolt

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon

Clefable (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 Spd
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Flamethrower
- Soft-Boiled

Initially, I thought that the only styles that could viably run this were stall and rain, but I realized that it could actually make a part of a decent voltturn core. With that in mind, I added a partner for Tornadus-T, Magnezone, who resists everything that can hit Torn-T for super effective damage. I needed a win condition, and Gyarados appreciated my voltturners ability to deal with Mega Venu and Ferrothorn, two of the bigger threats to it, so Mega Gyarados became my Mega. After that, I pretty much just ended up taking a core from Masterclass' Masterpiece: the Fairy/Water/Dragon of Latias/MGyara/Clefable, who can destroy each others checks and counters pretty well. I gave them more offensive sets than what Masterclass uses, as I prefer my teams to be quite a bit faster. All these sets are pretty standard, at any rate (Clefable is running Speed EVs to outpace 12 speed Ttar...I'm kinda generous with speed creep), and the team is fairly easy to use. Have fun =]

Last edited:

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

Politoed @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Encore
- Hypnosis

Kabutops @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge
- Low Kick
- Rapid Spin

Manectric @ Manectite
Ability: Lightningrod
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Overheat

EVs: 252 SAtk / 216 Spd / 40 Atk
Naive Nature
- Hurricane
- Focus Blast
- Knock Off
- U-turn

Aegislash @ Leftovers
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 236 HP / 252 SAtk / 20 Spd
Quiet Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Shadow Sneak
- Sacred Sword
- King's Shield

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Jolly Nature
IVs: 21 HP
- Earthquake
- Reversal
- Substitute
- Stealth Rock

When I saw this core, the first I thing I thought of was how bad Dugtrio is. However, I was going to submit something, and it had to include Dugtrio, so I went at thought about things it trapped. Heatran, primarily...but also Tyranitar. And, Tornadus-T thrives in the rain, which hates being disrupted by the sand that Tyranitar brings. So, I went about building a rain team. I knew I was going to have Tornadus-T and Dugtrio, so I quickly decided their sets. I know TFL ran Naughty Dugtrio with Rock Tomb, but I quickly realized that I actually wanted the Speed afforded by Jolly, which lets Raikou trap and kill mainly the likes of weakened Keldeo and Raikou, or at worst let it get off a Stealth Rock before dying vs the myriad of threats around that Speed range. The one small decision I made was to use Substitute > Stone Edge. The thing is, Dugtrio can't actually trap the targets of Stone Edge. Substitute does two main things; it lets Dugtrio deal with Chansey (it doesn't kill but it does a hell of a lot with max damage Reversal) even in the presence of Toxic, and lets it avoid Mawile and Bisharp Sucker Punches in case its Sash is broken by SR that I couldn't remove, or something.

I then naturally added Politoed, using a SDef build which gives me an Aegislash and Char Y check. My next concern was taking advantage of rain (Swift Swimmer) and getting SR off for Dugtrio, as well as Torn-T to some extent. I also realized that I wasn't going to have room to fit in, say, a Latias to Defog, because Dugtrio was taking up that extra teamslot. With all this taken into consideration, I decided to use Rapid Spin Kabutops, which gives me hazard removal and a ferocious rain abuser. My next pick was a Mega. I could have gone with Mega Scizor or Mega Mawile and then Kingdra or something, but Mega Manectric stood out because it gives a lot of momentum for the team combined with Tornadus-T's U-turn which especially helps Dugtrio get in and gives another bird check besides Kabutops, as well as another thing to outspeed Keldeo which is important because I don't really have a dedicated check for it. For the last slot I knew I wanted a Steel-type to pivot into the Latis and w/e. Aegislash was a natural pick at that point because I really wanted some offensive presence as opposed to using, say, Ferrothorn, and it's also the best Pokemon in the tier that provides a resilient check to a lot of things.

Overall this team is built around the Mega Manectric + Tornadus-T VoltTurn core which helps keep the momentum in my team's favor, which is important because of the nature of rain as a playstyle. I'm still not really sold on the usefulness/viability of Dugtrio, but I'll admit that it's definitely seem some decent use, particularly in providing easy SR. Anyways that's the team ^_^
I like the idea behind this team, here are some things that could be done to improve it:
  • Aqua Jet > Low Kick on Kabutops. SD Mega Mawile and Bisharp are both extremely threatening Pokemon to your team, and having a way to outprioritize them can be life saving. Mega Mawile can find a set up chance against Tort-T and then OHKO anything with +2 Sucker Punch or force you to sac several Pokemon in order to weaken it with Mega Manectric's Intimdiate. Bisharp threatens with OHKOes Aegislash, Tornadus-T, and Mega Manectric (after SR for the last two), so as you can imagine getting an SD is not difficult at all. Also, setting and keeping up SR against this team is not hard at all as Kabutops can't switch into most offensive SR setters or wants to be preserved for late-game, which means that Dugtrio can't revenge kill those Pokemon either with SR up. Also, Aqua Jet is invaluavble against sand offense, in case the opponent manages to keep sand up and send Excadrill in, you don't have to bring Politoed in after something dies and then sac something again, you can just sac something and then go top Kabutops for the revenge kill.
  • Assault Vest Raikou > Mega Manectric. I am proposing this change for two reasons. The first is that Raikou is a way better switch-in to some problematic threats to your team, such as Thundurus, as it isn't 2HKOed by Focus Blast or Psychic, which is great as Thundurus beats three of your Pokemon 1-on-1 (Dugtrio, Politoed, Tornadus), and can cripple the team's best weapon against offense with Thunder Wave. AV Raikou can also tank one Specs Hydro Pump from Modest Kingdra even after SR and do some major damage back, which is great, as otherwise Specs Kingdra outspeeds and OHKOes half of your team, while 3HKOing Politoed, which can't do back much anyway (assuming Sleep Clause is active). And of course Rotom-W, which is a big nuisance to this team, with no Grass-type to fall back on. The second important reason is to free up your Mega Slot, so you can use:
  • Mega Scizor > Aegislash. Offensive Mega SD Scizor is a way better fit than Aegislash on this team and on rain teams in general. First, Mega Scizor can deal with Lati@s without caring about Bisharp, as it can OHKO it with Superpower. And this is very important, because as i already mentioned, Bisharp is a big threat to your team, and having an actual switch-in to it is great. Furthermore, SD Mega Scizor is much better at pressuring the opponent and keeping momentum, as Aegislash is way more easily walled. Not to mention that Scizor's Bullet Punch is very important as well, for CM Clefable, and offensive Pokemon your team has troubles with (see the aforementioned Kingdra). Finally, SD Mega Scizor takes advantage of Ferrothorn very well unlike Aegislash, which is great because every rain team likes Ferro gone, and also because i recommended Aqua Jet > Low Kick.
  • Offensive Politoed > SpD Politoed. 156 HP / 252 SpA+ / 100 Spe with a moveset of Scald / Hidden Power Grass / Psychic / Encore. With the extra Speed and power you are able to: 1. outspeed Mega Mawile and lock it to Swords Dance, Sub, or Sucker Punch with Encore, which is very important as Mega Mawile can do a number to this team. 2. Do ~44% damage to tank Mega Venu, making wearing it down a much easier task. 3. Revenge kill +6 Adamant Azumarill, as you are able to take one +6 Aqua Jet in rain and finish it off. 4. 2HKO Physically defensive Amoonguss and 3HKO specially defensive sets. 5. Wear down Rotom-W with Hidden Power Grass much easier. 6. Hit Keldeo really hard with Psychic, which is nice because you don't have a good switch-in to it and to weaken it for Kabutops. In general, the added offensive presence is more valuable than the ability to check Aegislash and Char Y, the first of which doesn't have a lot of room to do much against this team (given that you don't play like an idiot with Torn-T) and is checked by AV Raikou anyway, and the second of which is still checked by Toed, as long as you manage to avoid the Solarbeam on the turn that Charizard MEvolves.

Importable

Thugtrio (Dugtrio) @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Reversal
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock

EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Atk
Hasty Nature
- Hurricane
- Focus Blast
- U-turn
- Dark Pulse

Politoed @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Encore
- Perish Song

Kingdra @ Choice Specs
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Surf

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Impish Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Defog
- U-turn
- Roost

Kyurem-Black @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SAtk
Naive Nature
- Iron Head
- Ice Beam
- Outrage
- Fusion Bolt

Explanation

So I started by adding Politoed to the team. This was a pretty natural choice for me as it was a perfect teammate for Dugtrio and Tornadus-T. One of the main problem with rain is the fact that sand teams run rampant and that Politoed is not very good and despite the fact that on paper rain may look strong against sand, I actually find that it gets stifled quite easy. Therefore Dugtrio can trap Tyranitar to remove sand and Hippowdon is not so common. Secondly I think that the only real way to make Tornadus-T work as an attacker is by running hurricane on it. This move is so spammable but only really under rain due to accuracy problems. Once Politoed was on the team I needed a rain sweeper and my choice was really between Kingdra and Kabutops really I suppose. Kingdra got the place just because of the raw power behind Choice Specs attacks and Dugtrio can help deal with the pink blobs well. Next I wanted a defogger and a slow U-turner and Mega Scizor fit the bill perfectly. Scizor is basically only used as a pivot to safely bring in Dugtrio, Politoed when rain is down and Tornadus and Kingdra as it will usually move last. This means these Pokemon can then perform their roles without taking any prior damage. Also defog is very helpful if I need to keep Dugtrio's sash intact and despite Regenerator, Tornadus-T doesn't really like switching into rocks as Life Orb does also wears him down. Finally I use Scarfed Kyurem-B as a late game cleaner once Kingdra and Tornadus have punched huge holes in the opposing side, and Outrage of its massive attack is nothing to laugh at. So to sum up, I basically set up rain, wreck the opponents team with big hitting attacks, pivot with Scizor, remove specific problems with Dugtrio when I can, and clean with Kyurem-B. Well that's the plan!

OK the team building period has ended and voting begins. I sense the TFL bandwagon this time. My vote actually goes to TFL. Only because he beat me with the team :V

Voting now begins.

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
TFL. Loses to DeoSharp, loses to BP, still probably the best team you could manage to make with that core.

Dread Arceus

total cockhead
TFL ('s here, gg to everybody else I suppose)
=]
Oh and if you wanna make my team like a million times better, replace Dugtrio with Landorus-T.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)