Other OU Teambuilding Competition V3 - Round 10 (Teambuilding)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems I forgot to put a deadline. Since voting has been open since Sunday, voting ends on Friday at 11:59 PM EST. I would also like to try a different process on voting for round 5. I will explain this in a later post where I tell what is used next to build teams.

Voting is now closed and TFL is the winner. I will talk about the changes in voting I am testing out this round to see how it does. Everyone must PM me their vote so no one can see it. I hope this lessens the amount of bandwagoning. Onto Round 5 of team building, the Pokemon that is chosed to be built with or around is

Volcarona has recently dropped to UU but its still a very threatening Pokemon running the Quiver Dance set and its great offensive STABs they have. Built around the right things, Volcarona could one of your worst nightmares. Teams are due Friday the 18th at 11:59 PM EST

Last edited:
Just threw this together and posting because fuck it, why not.

Volcarona @ Leftovers
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 232 HP / 212 SpA / 64 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Quiver Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Fiery Dance
- Giga Drain

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Thunderbolt

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn

Mawile @ Mawilite
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 72 SpA / 188 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Spe
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch

Started with Volcarona for obvious reasons. It's purpose on this team is to act as a late game sweeper once it's teammates have cleared a path for it. I thought bulky was the way to go this gen so I just added enough speed to outspeed max speed Greninja at +1. IIRC, the HP investment is just enough to live Knock Off from Bisharp incase you mis-predict. This will force a 50/50. Giga Drain actually helps against mons like Keldeo that would usually ruin a late game sweep. It is worth mentioning that Giga Drain can hit other things like Terrakion or Azu if the need ever arises. It offers decent recovery as an alternative to Roost.

Terrakion is an excellent mon to pair with Volcarona. It can take out things that hard counter Volc such as Talonflame, Heatran, Chansey, Charizard, and Dragonite. The scarf really benefits the team, making Terrak an great revenge killer.

Obviously when using Volc, you will need a hazard remover of some sorts. That being said, the Lati twins are some of the most reliable defoggers atm, imo. I originally had Latias over Latios but thought a more offensive mon would be the way to go.

Lando is on the team to better deal with things like Mega Maws and Aegi. It can act as a pivot and sets up rocks. Good mon. Enough speed to outspeed max speed base 65 mons.

Mawile because it can soak up Dragon type moves and I needed something to take on opposing faries. Also just wanted to use it. Not much else to say.

Rotom-Wash is there to take on Mandibuzz, hence the 72 SpA evs. It has good synergy with the rest of the team. Missing a speed IV to get momentum on opposing Rotom-W's.

Worth mentioning that the double-intimidate and volt-turn combos were unintentional but definitely help out the team.

import
meta is mean (Volcarona) @ Lum Berry
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fiery Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Giga Drain

thugtrio (Dugtrio) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Reversal
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch

smogon genie (Thundurus) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Focus Blast

rocks a shit (Latias) (F) @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Defog
- Psyshock
- Healing Wish

aegi a shit (Terrakion) @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt

STALL A SHIT (Mawile) @ Mawilite
EVs: 124 HP / 252 Atk / 132 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch

explanation
So because volcarona isn't liked at all in this meta, i had to think what it needed. it hates rocks, heatran, talonflame, and p much every priority. a lot of those problems can be fixed with dugtrio and thundurus. then, the last of those problems were fixed by a lati, so i chose latias because it fixed up my 2 possible win cons. lastly, i simply needed rocks. i didn't want another ground, so terrakion was a good choice. now i chose lum on volcarona so it could beat thundurus, and passho wasn't needed since i already had a keldeo check. standard offensive spread because it isn't living hits either way. i chose mawile as my secondary win con, because it fucks up stall and beats teams that volcarona can't. it also has decent synergy, as volcarona beats swarm and ferro, and mawile beats azu and venu. it also can switch into rock attacks which it loathes.

was listening to that when i was building :]

Last edited:

Volcarona @ Life Orb
EVs: 40 HP / 252 SpA / 216 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpD / 30 Spe
- Quiver Dance
- Fiery Dance
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Rock]

Manectric @ Manectite
Ability: Lightningrod
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 164 Def / 96 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Power Whip
- Knock Off

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Scald
- Icy Wind

Latios @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Earthquake
- Defog

I opted for an all out offensive Volcarona set since it doesn't require as much setup to hurt stuff. I opted for HP Rock over Bug Buzz because it provides better coverage against things like Dragonite, Charizard X and Y, and Talonflame (on the switch). Bug Buzz really only provides coverage against Tyranitar and Lati@s, neither of which really want to switch into Volcarona anyways. Giga Drain is required so that Water types and Terrakion don't interrupt Volcarona's sweep.

Volcarona's drop in usage can be blamed on the rise of powerful Flying types like Talonflame and Mega Pinsir. Thus, I decided to add Mega Manectric, an underrated MEvo. With the banning of Deoxys-S, Mega Manectric's base 135 speed makes it one of the fastest Pokemon in OU. It's a solid check to most Flying types. It's also a great check to things like +1 Gyarados and Dragonite since it can outspeed them and KO them. Manectric's Volt Switch helps give Volcarona opportunities to switch in.

Landorus-T forms a Volt-Turn Intimidate core with Mega Manectric, keeping powerful physical attacks that could prey on Volcarona's crappy defense in check. It provides the team with Stealth Rock and checks many deadly physical attackers.

Although Volcarona has Giga Drain, it still struggles against faster Water types like Keldeo, Greninja, and Azumarill's priority Aqua Jet. Ferrothorn is a good answer to most Water types and is one of the most reliable Azumarill checks in the game.

Hazard removal was obviously required since Volcarona has a crippling 4x weakness to Stealth Rock. I decided to go with Latios since it has good offensive synergy with Volcarona and can lure and KO Heatran with Earthquake.

Specs Keldeo is an excellent wallbreaker that can soften special walls so that Volcarona has an easier time sweeping. It's a good check for Heatran and Tyranitar which can threaten Volcarona. It also checks Bisharp decently so Latios has an easier time Defogging.

Volcarona @ Leftovers
EVs: 204 HP / 252 SpA / 52 Spe
Modest Nature
- Roost
- Fiery Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Roost

Gothitelle @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 84 HP / 252 SpA / 172 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Rest
- Trick

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Close Combat
- X-Scissor

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 32 HP / 224 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Psyshock
- Thunderbolt
- Defog

Mawile @ Mawilite
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Fire Fang
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off

Some time ago i saw an interesting Volc+Goth+Chomp core in a thread of this forum, so I decided to use that three mons as a base for my team.
Volcarona is a great sweeper that can set up in a very big amount of pokémon, but walls like chansey and unaware clefable can freely switch into it and stop its sweep, so Gothitelle is here to trap and kill stall mons using a standard wallbreaking set. Scarfed Garchomp can clean up the opposing team when Volc has done its job and also deal with problematic mons like Heatran and Talonflame.
The core was weak to Landorus and Azumarill, So I quickly added Latios to check both Lando and BellyJet Azu, while providing very useful defog support.
Then I chose mawile as my mega, who synergyzes very well with my team and KOes AV azu. Finally, SE Hippowdon fitted perfectly to cover my weakness to Pinsir and Bisharp, while setting up Stealrh Rock and having a reliable recovery move to shut down physical attackers.
At this moment the team looked very strong, but pokemon like Greninja or boosted Megados and Megatar (since the last two can deal with hippo and any of the mentioned is OHKOed by Jolly Garchomp), so I replaced Chomp with Scarfed Terrakion, who also had enough speed to KO Char X at +1 and can KO the threats mentioned above.

Dread Arceus

total cockhead
Posting for Wiz T7 because he's too lazy to post on here and I'm too lazy/too unimpressed with the mon to make a Volc team.

Volcarona @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 204 Def / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- Fiery Dance
- Roost
- Quiver Dance
- Bug Buzz

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock
- Sucker Punch
Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 164 Def / 68 SpA / 24 Spe
Bold Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Heat Wave
- Defog
- Roost

Latias (F) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 12 SpD / 244 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpA / 30 SpD / 30 Spe
- Roost
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fighting]

Suicune @ Leftovers
EVs: 236 HP / 252 Def / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Calm Mind
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 44 Atk / 76 Def / 116 SpD / 24 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance
- Roost

Aight so basically The team obviously is built around volc, I decided to go with giga > roost to hit bulky waters then I went with a defensive spread so that its harder for priority users to revenge.

Obviously with volc your gonna need a and answer to tran so I went with good old dugtrio to trap the fucker and get him out the game asap, it also serves as my primary zard x check, having rocks on it is a tad annoying but I really have no where else to put them.

Next is self explanatory you need a bird spam counter so this is where zapdos comes into play since it is easily the best bird spam counter around atm. It also gave me defog and just a generally useful mon to have!

Ok so at this point I pretty much had the stuff I needed to cover volcs common checks and counters (bar thundy), so I decided to look at the team as a whole and start to cover the weaknesses of the team. This is where latios comes into play, it beats thundy, keldeo, lando, and lures bisharp and ttar (for a nice clean 1hko on sharp and 2hko on bulky ttar), all of which threatened the team quite a bit.

So now the team was starting to look pretty solid so I was now just adding the glues and I already had a few of the top threats covered with lati + zapdos, I noticed I was a really weak to sand offense, mamo and didn't have a secondary win condition so I decided to go with good old crocune. This sets up all over non venusaur sand offense and does pretty well against stall and covered the weaknesses I had on the team atm.

At this moment I was pretty happy with the team although I didnt have a mega and was rather aegi weak providing I couldn't get cune in on it so I decided to add mega scizor to fix the few problems I had left this also gave an extra win condition, priority and knock off. It also serves as a counter to a few of the big threats in the suspect test such as mega garde and mega zam.

My vote goes to Jukain
Volcarona @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 180 Def / 80 Spe
Bold Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fiery Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Roost

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 24 Atk / 232 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Earthquake
- Defog

Lucario @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Iron Tail
- ExtremeSpeed

Thundurus (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Nasty Plot
- Thunderbolt
- Thunder Wave
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock

Azumarill @ Assault Vest
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Knock Off

When looking at this stupid moth, i was like lets copy valentine's force of nature bcuz why the hell not? but to be honest i sort of copied how he built it.

Now we start with the pathetic moth who looked like it was going to be an endgame sweeper. i just went with bulkrona bcuz it seemed like it would be taking out most frail things and most frail things are attakers. i went with 80 spd evs to outspeed stupid weavile stuff.

Volcarona needs too much damn support so i went with a defogger. i chose latios after i realized it kills most of volcarona's checks/counters. it counters stuff like Rotom-W, Mega Venusaur, Heatran, Keldeo, Landorus-I, and Zard-Y and checks stuff like Garchomp, Kyurem-B, Terrakion, Manaphy, Dragonite, and tons more. it also had nice offense and i knew that offense was the playstyle i was going for. also eq was a sweet lure for heatrans that are fat.

Now Bisharp was sort of a dude who would shut down latios (then shut down my team) so i thought of bisharp counters and none could handle spdef fairies that volc hated and i wanted to clear them so i ended up looking at lucario. lucario helps me with all pink blobs so volc can sweep. lucario could setup on bisharp with sd and take out a good chunk out of my opponent's team with cc+espeed. this also beats tran.

next up i thought about birdspam wrecking house so i needed a birdspam check and one that kept offensive presure. thundy came to mind and it had to run lefties because in my mind, birdspam needed to be handled multiple times so i went with lefties. since it needed power i ran np thundy because i couldn't hold life orb.

Excadrill now wrecked house especially under sand and i also needed a revenge killer. landog-t was amazing with it's intimidate so it helps thundy out for handling birdspam. it also functioned as a revenge killer of things like Aegislash, Zards, (Dragonite), Drill, and lots of other pokes.this also beats tran.

Now I needed something absolutely filler which could handle greninja since it has stupid coverage. i thought about av azumarill which could kill greninjas and help clear out rock/fire types to help volc sweep.this also beats tran.

Last edited:

Snou

the grand master of all the things bad!
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion

In your Mind ♥

Ett ♥

Prague Kick (Volcarona) (M) @ Leftovers
Shiny: Yes
Trait: Flame Body
EVs: 104 HP / 252 SAtk / 12 SDef / 140 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Quiver Dance
- Substitute
- Fiery Dance
- Bug Buzz

Laurel (Ferrothorn) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 92 Def / 168 SDef
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Gyro Ball
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Protect

Me (Gardevoir) (F) @ Gardevoirite
Trait: Trace
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Bloo (Rotom-W) @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 212 Def / 48 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hydro Pump
- Pain Split

Axily (Latias) (F) @ Life Orb
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Healing Wish

ZoroDark (Landorus-T) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 72 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef / 180 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide

Explanations ♥

I built this team around one month ago. The strategy is quite simple: Volcarona must to be the star of this team with other baitkills taking advantage from his sub to block some Sucker Punch or priorities and Status Spams.
The first choice i did was Rotom-W that stops Huge Threaths like Pinsir and Talonflame which destroy my pour Volcarona.
Later i put
Ferrothorn, hazardz support and an amazing switch-in on Latios and Latias, that helps with Spikes and Seeds.
Volcarona was obviously weak to Hazardz, especially Stealth Rocks. So i pick from the OU list one of the best defoggers ever,
Latias.
Latias with this set give another setup chance to my Volcarona and can be useful against Pursuit Users.
Latias also stopped Char Y, other huge mon for Volcarona.
Talking about Charizardz, another problematic Char was Char X and, needing SR, i pick
Landorus-T with evs that outspeed Jolly Sharp and Loom.

Last but not least one of the best stallbreaker in XY, Mega Gardevoir, a perfect baitkill for each Heatran that works perfectly without Aegislash (U can run Shadowball if u fear it) and with HP Ground and Calm Mind wrecks every stall team.
Special Thanks to my frens for the testing and fixing phase ♥

Last edited:
Posting for Wiz T7 because he's too lazy to post on here and I'm too lazy/too unimpressed with the mon to make a Volc team.

Volcarona @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 204 Def / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- Fiery Dance
- Roost
- Quiver Dance
- Bug Buzz

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock
- Sucker Punch
Zapdos @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 164 Def / 68 SpA / 24 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 At
- Thunderbolt
- Heat Wave
- Defog
- Roost

Latias (F) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 12 SpD / 244 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpA / 30 SpD / 30 Spe
- Roost
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fighting]

Suicune @ Leftovers
EVs: 236 HP / 252 Def / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Calm Mind
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 44 Atk / 76 Def / 116 SpD / 24 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance
- Roost

Aight so basically The team obviously is built around volc, I decided to go with giga > roost to hit bulky waters then I went with a defensive spread so that its harder for priority users to revenge.

Obviously with volc your gonna need a and answer to tran so I went with good old dugtrio to trap the fucker and get him out the game asap, it also serves as my primary zard x check, having rocks on it is a tad annoying but I really have no where else to put them.

Next is self explanatory you need a bird spam counter so this is where zapdos comes into play since it is easily the best bird spam counter around atm. It also gave me defog and just a generally useful mon to have!

Ok so at this point I pretty much had the stuff I needed to cover volcs common checks and counters (bar thundy), so I decided to look at the team as a whole and start to cover the weaknesses of the team. This is where latios comes into play, it beats thundy, keldeo, lando, and lures bisharp and ttar (for a nice clean 1hko on sharp and 2hko on bulky ttar), all of which threatened the team quite a bit.

So now the team was starting to look pretty solid so I was now just adding the glues and I already had a few of the top threats covered with lati + zapdos, I noticed I was a really weak to sand offense, mamo and didn't have a secondary win condition so I decided to go with good old crocune. This sets up all over non venusaur sand offense and does pretty well against stall and covered the weaknesses I had on the team atm.

At this moment I was pretty happy with the team although I didnt have a mega and was rather aegi weak providing I couldn't get cune in on it so I decided to add mega scizor to fix the few problems I had left this also gave an extra win condition, priority and knock off. It also serves as a counter to a few of the big threats in the suspect test such as mega garde and mega zam.
fgt you stole volc+duggy

I know I'm late on this but Teambuilding period has ended.
The new voting will look like this, to avoid bandwagons, you will know have to send me a Personal Message of your vote.
Since I was late posting this, instead of Voting ending Friday, it will end Saturday. Happy Voting!

I'm going to cut this round short as no one is voting and I only got a few votes in PM. I'm forced to revert back to public voting despite the bandwagoning. Out of the few votes, the winner is SnowCristal!. The next core that will be used is

This core is used as Latias is great with providing Healing Wish support while still having an offensive presence in its STAB Draco Meteor. It can also use Defog to support the rest of the team and Azumarill with Assault Vest loves Healing Wish support as it gives it a source of Recovery and just in case Azumarill gets Status'd such as being Burned. Teambuilding entries ends August 2nd at 11:59 PM EST. For voting you may post in this thread like before instead of having to PM me.

I'm going to cut this round short as no one is voting and I only got a few votes in PM. I'm forced to revert back to public voting despite the bandwagoning. Out of the few votes, the winner is SnowCristal!. The next core that will be used is

This core is used as Latias is great with providing Healing Wish support while still having an offensive presence in its STAB Draco Meteor. It can also use Defog to support the rest of the team and Azumarill with Assault Vest loves Healing Wish support as it gives it a source of Recovery and just in case Azumarill gets Status'd such as being Burned. Teambuilding entries ends August 2nd at 11:59 PM EST. For voting you may post in this thread like before instead of having to PM me.
Do you need to have AV Azumarill?

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Mawile @ Mawilite
EVs: 128 HP / 252 Atk / 128 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Play Rough
- Fire Fang
Azumarill @ Assault Vest
Brave Nature
IVs: 19 Spe
- Play Rough
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off
Latias @ Life Orb
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Thunderbolt
- Defog
- Healing Wish
Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 216 Def / 40 SpD
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Thunder Wave
- Power Whip
Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-Turn
- Stealth Rock
Entei @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 Atk / 60 SpD / 196 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Bulldoze
- Extreme Speed
- Iron Head

AV Azu+HW Latias is probably my favourite core, and I have around 5 teams with it, so I felt obliged to submit one of them. I actually made this team with Epique. The original version had Heatran+Garchomp+Raikou, however, it was, ironically, pretty weak to AV Azumarill, so I decided to alter it. Anyway, this team was built around a "fairyspam" core of Mawile+Azu, supposed to get through the likes of MVenu and Aegislash by repeatedily pressuring them. They also have surprisingly good offensive synergy in general : MMaw breaks Stall very well, while Azu puts in a lot of work vs offensive teams. Azu also deals with stuff such as MGyara or Keldeo which likes to revenge kill MMaw. Latias fit perfectly, resisting everything the two mons are weak to besides Poison-type moves which are rare outside of MVenu. Also takes up defog duties, completes the FSD core, and can heal up a teammate with Healing Wish. Ferrothorn is mostly there for utility, TWave and Leech Seed helping out the fairies a lot, Spikes to force the opponent to defog its own Rocks off for Entei if I don't want to send Latias out. Also deals with threats such as Azu, MGyara and MTTar. Lando-T used to be scarfed, but apparently you need multiple decent switchins to Mawile on any given team because of how ridiculous it is, and Defensive Lando-T is one of them. Also sets rocks and bluffs scarf since most people will expect rocks on Ferrothorn, especially if I lead with it. Can also pivot into the fairies nicely. For the last slot, I needed a Fire type to absorb burns and complete the FWG core, and though I could've picked Heatran, I kinda wanted something with a bit more offensive presence and I felt like trying out Entei. AV over Band to switch into Aegi and Gengar better, bluff band, and to not be forced out so easily so as to not be worn down by Rocks too much.

Last edited:

Snou

the grand master of all the things bad!
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion

Downing Fall ♥

Ett ♥

Azumarill (F) @ Assault Vest
Trait: Huge Power
EVs: 208 HP / 252 Atk / 40 SDef / 8 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Knock Off
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Waterfall

Latias (F) @ Life Orb
- Healing Wish
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog

Thundurus (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Prankster
- Nasty Plot
- Hidden Power [Flying]
- Focus Blast
- Thunderbolt

Heatran (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Flash Fire
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Terrakion @ Focus Sash
Trait: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Close Combat
- Taunt
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock

Heracross (F) @ Heracronite
Trait: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Pin Missile
- Rock Blast
- Close Combat

Explications ♥

Nice core there! I had a team with these core but it was very similiar than the teams already posted so i thought i need to change! First of all, i just needed an Hazard Support to make more offensive the team, starting from Azumarill AV+DefogHwishLatias. So i pick a Terrakion, one of the best SR Taunt lead now that Deo-S and Deo-D are banned. I Was weak to MPinsir-Talonflame and also MMawile so i insert a strong Thundurus-MegaCross Core. Thundurus with plot is also a stallbreaker, baiting grass mons like Venusaur or Amoonguss with HP Flying. MCross is another stallbreaker, but i preferred coverage rather than a Boosting Machine so i inserted EQ>Sword Dance to hit also Aegislash (that is in suspect but... if u want to use it aegislashless use Sword Dance or Bullet Seed). At the end i inserted a surprise revenge killer that can clean whole teams with genies and other stuff like MPinsir: ScarfTran.

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Play Rough
- Aqua Jet
- Belly Drum

Landorus (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Timid Nature
- Rock Polish
- Earth Power
- Psychic
- Focus Blast

Latias (F) @ Life Orb
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SAtk / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Healing Wish
- Defog
- Psyshock
- Draco Meteor

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 44 HP / 252 SpA / 212 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Flash Cannon

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Keldeo-Resolute @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Scald
- Hidden Power [Electric]
- Secret Sword

I started off with the first two, Azumarill and (Get this) Landorus. They have incredible synergy, and with Latias, it made it completely clear to me that with Healing Wish I could get manychances to set up thanks to these three's typing synergy, how they attack both sides of defence, they wallbreak, they were seriously the entire package into three Pokemon. Belly Drum Azumarill with Healing Wish is fantastic, thanks to Azumarill's decent bulk naturally, it usually survives getting more than two chances with Healing Wish. Landorus, as explained above was chosen for the fabulous type, and attacking synergy. Rock Polish is amazing. I swear it makes sweeping soooo easy, I was thinking about using Modest but I rather be able to have a chance to take on other Landorus' 1v1 without setup. Latias just put cream on the cake Defogging annoying Webs, Rocks, etc that hurt the teams synergy (Switching out).

Afterwords I just looked through the team and see what it's quite weak against. First thing is first - Mamoswine/Ice Types, and Sand Rush Excadrill can ruin this team. So I put on Offensive Air Balloon Heatran as a rough counter, as with a free switch-in it can get an easy kill off of them. The EVs were from the OU Analyses, they let you outspeed Adamant Mega Heracross, and 2HKO Specially Defensive Mega Zard X (Given you have Air Balloon intact). I put on Venusaur quickly after I realized how well they worked together from past Stall Teams, and I made it offensive to deal with the terrifying Azumarill who otherwised smashed this team alive.

The last slot was hard, given I already had a Wallbreaker, Hazard Remover, Offensive Hazard Setter, Two Sweepers, a FWG core (I just noticed this as I was typing) and multiple ways to deal with many different Pokemon. I finally decided on Keldeo, Scarf Keldeo. It was a Counter to Mega-Gyarados with HP [Electric] (Which had a sudden spark in popularity) and Secret Sword, and it revenge-killed, the one thing my team was missing from what I saw. I struggled between Garchomp, but dropped it as my team would be even weaker to Ice-Types. Thanks to A Terrakion for spotting out things I missed.

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Greninja @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Extrasensory
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Mawile @ Mawilite
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Fire Fang
- Swords Dance

Dragonite @ Choice Band
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 32 HP / 252 Atk / 224 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch

Azumarill @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Knock Off
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall

Terrakion @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock

Latias (F) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Healing Wish

I made this team for the Gauntlet III on Smogon, and more specifically, the Quarter Finals. I based this team off of the Greninja - Mawile - Dragonite core, as these three work very well together. They can come in on each others checks and force others out with their great offensive synergy. With this in mind, I had to support these three, although with a twist.

I got lucky with this team, because in previous rounds, once you lost a Pokemon you arent able to use it again for the remainder of the tournament. I had lost a few heavy hitters, but I still had quite a few options under my belt. To support the core I was using, my first choice was Latias. Latias brings the team key Defog support, which allows DNite to come in multiple times throughout the match on double switches and keep Multiscale intact, which acts as a great buffer against SE hits. Along with this, Latias has access to Healing Wish, which allows her to sacrifice herself to fully heal a teammate, which can effectively give them a second life. With Hazard control covered, I needed some of my own. After a lot of testing, I decoded to go with Sashed Terrakion over Mamoswine. The reason I chose Terrakion is because fighting type coverage was needed on this team to get past Chansey, as she otherwise could wall a good portion of this team. Terrakion gets almost perfect neutral coverage with his other STAB, rock, which leaves the last moveslot open. I chose Earthquake, as it allows im to hit Aegislash, who otherwise completely walls him. Taunt was an option against other leads, but I felt that Aegislash was more important to hit. Finally, I needed the glue of the team to act as a pivot of sorts. Seeing as my current team was quite Mamoswine weak, AV Azumarill was chosen. She checks Mamo quite well while also checking Keldeo, non HP Grass Greninja, and Dragon types while still maintaining high offensive presence. She is also the third priority user of the team, and is able to RK Sand Rush Excadrill with Aqua Jet, who can muscle his way through my team if Mawile goes down. Speaking of priority, Talonflame can be a bit of a problem if hes given a free switch, but he can be killed by DNites Extreme Speed if hes taken enough prior damage.

So yeah, thats basically it. This team carried me through the quarters and worked quite well on the ladder.

Replays:
The Gauntlet Match itself
Suspect Ladder Battle

Last edited:

Garchomp (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Rough Skin
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Swords Dance

Shiro (Absol-Mega) (F) @ Absolite
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 112 Atk / 172 SpA / 224 Spe
Naive Nature
- Knock Off
- Ice Beam
- Fire Blast
- Superpower

Azumarill (F) @ Assault Vest
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 100 HP / 224 Atk / 168 SpD / 16 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Knock Off

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Gale Wings
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Swords Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Roost

Bisharp @ Focus Sash
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head

Latias (F) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
- Healing Wish
- Defog

As far as synergy goes, this team isn't much but It's so offensively built that switching isn't too much of a problem.
So uh.. I made this team out of the blue tbh, It actually wasn't for this competition :/ but I thought I'd share, I was just bored of trying out the same old megas and thought I'd give another one a try and I found Mega Absol.
I decided to go with an Anti-Lead Set, with both Fire Blast and Ice Beam under my belt I could hit 2 of the most common rock setters; Landorus-T and Ferrothorn, for super-effective damage, then I went with a nice STAB in Knock Off which uninvested still OHKOes both the Latis and Gothitelle,
Finally, I went with Superpower for Ttar.
It was weak to Fighting and Bug both of which Azumarill can take on, I've also noticed personally that at least one bulky mon is good on general offense.
So, Azu is weak to Electric, Grass and Poison, I added Latias as the team's defogger due to the electric and grass resists and Healing Wish is always nice.
I chose Garchomp as my Rock Setter because of it's amazing dual type and great speed.
I added Talonflame for the priority and ability to clean up after all the damage is done
and Bisharp for Defog Pressure.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-145507604

Last edited:

So with this team, I decided to use a volt turn core+gothitelle to wear down and remove Azumarill's counters for a late game sweep with belly drum. I actually didnt build with this in mind, i just realized i could submit it. so first, I looked for sweepers that benefit from what Gothitelle could remove. BD azumarill enjoys skarmory, quagsire, amoonguss, slowbro, what have ye removed. As BD Azumarill enjoys getting in scot free, as does gothitelle, i decided to add Mega Manectric+Landorus-T VoltTurn core as it not only provides free switches with the volt switch/uturns, it also buys setup opportunities w/ intimidate. as mega manectric has such great coverage, it checks almost all of the OU tier. then, so they didn't get worn down by hazards so much, I used defog latias w/ thunderbolt to check azumarill and allow goth to come in for free, and at full health, against defensive threats. it also meant i had 2 chances with belly drum azumarill. terrakion is here to keep me from getting rekt by sweepers, and acts as a secondary check to mega gyarados, mega tyranitar, and mega charizard x. you know this team is the fukn best, vote for it.

lol @ offense (Azumarill) @ Sitrus Berry
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Superpower

lol @ stall (Gothitelle) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Shadow Tag
Modest Nature
- Trick
- Psyshock
- Energy Ball
- Thunderbolt

lol @ skarm (Landorus-Therian) (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 56 Atk / 200 Def / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Knock Off

lol @ rocks (Latias) (F) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Thunderbolt
- Defog
- Healing Wish

lol @ sweepers (Terrakion) @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide

lol @ birds (Manectric) @ Manectite
Ability: Lightningrod
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Overheat
- Hidden Power [Ice]

The Resistance
This team wasn´t built for this competition, but shares how well the core that we are building around can be incorporated in diverse teams. The team preview itself is a bit weird, a non-HO Zard Y team that has an Azumarill over Keldeo and uses Ferrothorn instead of Thundurus (I´ve never liked a lot the idea of having to sack an important part of my team when I see a fast mon to avoid being swept by it, but exposing my team to other kind of threats that are not allways present), but the team has proven to be very effective against many different playstyles and is pretty fun to use (specially when you don´t miss attacks with Charizard).
The Teambuilding process:
I started building the team around Zard Y since I wanted to have a solid mega that could easily break stall and slow pokémon with sun boosted Fire Blasts and good coverage moves. The only full counters of Charizard were Latias and Chansey, so I added a Bisharp to trap and KO them. Hippowdon was added to cover some Zard Y checks such as Thundurus and some QuakeEdge attackers, while providing Sandstorm support to "refresh" Charizard´s weather and Stealth Rock (which is always nice against any team). I needed a way to take out hazards, so Latias joined the team because of its bulkyness and useful typing. Azumarill acts as a glue and has good synergy with the rest of the team, being my best answer to pokémon like Greninja and a great way to pressure offensive teams that lack a switch into it. Finally, I added Ferrothorn to both have a reliable switch into Azumarill and relax the pressure ejerced over my bulky mons (also has a really nice spore immunity).

Charizard @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast
- Roost

Bisharp @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 32 HP / 252 Atk / 224 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Pursuit

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
Impish Nature
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Stealth Rock

Latias (F) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Draco Meteor
- Defog
- Thunderbolt

Azumarill @ Assault Vest
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip

The teambuilding process has ended and voting begins now. You may now cast your vote publicly now as sending it privately didn't work as I would have expected. Voting closes August 8th at 11:59 PM. Trying to get back on schedule with this for things to start and end Friday to make things easier. Anways my vote.

Epique.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)