Other OU Teambuilding Competition V4 - Round 14 (ORAS TEAMBUILDING) See post #156

Status
Not open for further replies.

horyzhnz

[10:02:17 AM] flcl: its hory xD
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
also voting should probably be accompanied by reasons "x team > y / z teams" instead of just "x team for no reason"

edit: i don't see how saying "x team fits together really well compared to the others and has great synergy" > "x team" is excessive; just a simple reason would be fine instead of "x team because sexy replay and sexy team"

Last edited:

Dread Arceus

total cockhead
PM voting got tried once on the old thread and it didn't work, friends will vote for friends in PM instead of in public =/ I like horyzhnz idea, other than the fact that it takes like 15 minutes to write all that up ;_;
EDIT so this doesn't become a PM thread: I think Rosenfeldius is on to somethin... CZ.?

PM voting got tried once on the old thread and it didn't work, friends will vote for friends in PM instead of in public =/ I like horyzhnz idea, other than the fact that it takes like 15 minutes to write all that up ;_;
Look four posts above this one

Good idea yes

i thought i would have some fun here, but im disappointed. imo epiques team is really the best one here. if you want i can delete my team because it is really bad lmao (and im probably #2), so w/e.. this thread is pretty much garbage because people are really voting for friends here. this is gonna be my first and last participation in team building competitions, cya
yeah this whole process is p borked atm, hopefully we can clean it up some to avoid shit like this in the future

altho whatchu gon do if next week we got ourselves a 'smeargle + espeon' core hmmm

yeah this whole process is p borked atm, hopefully we can clean it up some to avoid shit like this in the future

altho whatchu gon do if next week we got ourselves a 'smeargle + espeon' core hmmm
watch it actually happen :|

but yea, this seems to be more of a popularity contest more than anything else atm

looiiyut

GIOVANE AUTISMOTTA
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
This thread deserves a commission of good players/builders to evaluate the best team (with choices explanation). Mediocre players like me can learn a lot of thing improving their playstyle.

This thread deserves a commission of good players/builders to evaluate the best team (with choices explanation). Mediocre players like me can learn a lot of thing improving their playstyle.
check out ctc's thread, lots o helpful stuff regarding teambuilding goes on there, and I think we should avoid ovecomplicating this thread if at all possible

plenty of other great teambuilders stop by to give input (like jukain and alexwolf, for example) but anyway the main think is this is a comp, not a help thread, so les keep it that way (but make it less biased if possible)

Last edited:

looiiyut

GIOVANE AUTISMOTTA
check out ctc's thread, lots o helpful stuff regarding teambuilding goes on there, and I think we should avoid ovecomplicating this thread if at all possible
There's nothing complicated. CZ and the past winners vote the best team. I read ctc's thread but is the point of view of a single person.

Tokyo Tom

Somewhere between psychotic and iconic
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
they can but i'd venture to say most wouldn't bother. but idk maybe that's just me. i guess there's as much of a possibility of that as making alt accounts and voting for yourself, tho
Hey man, that's funny 'cuz someone did do that last round...hmm.....dot dot dot dot dot.....I wonder who?

EDIT: not Rosenfeldius if you were wondering, lol.

Last edited:

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
What would be amazing

Is if we submitted teams in a PM

And the OP posted them anonymously after all submissions have been sent

Good idea y/y
Go with this. Every time a team is submitted the guy in charge of the submissions posts the team here without revealing the submitter's name, so that anyone can comment on it. If the submitter wants to change his team before voting he can just PM the new team, and the guy responsible for the subs will just make a post with the updated team. No need to post all subs together imo, it's better to keep things fluid, and when there are enough subs, start the voting phase.

No need to impose reasoning in votes, this thread has limited participation already. For comparison's sake, we don't even ask for reasoning in our voting system for tiering, which is like, a 10000 times more serious matter than this competition. Cheating always happens in the net to a basic level.

Finally, if submitters want that bad to get the votes of their friends so be it, let's not get too paranoid about such a simple concept as this one guys. If someone is so desperate for attention that wants to win this competition by having friends vote for him, so be it.

So, go with this system CZ., if you can't i am going to lock this thread.

Tokyo Tom

Somewhere between psychotic and iconic
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
i think i will lose this round. sugar has too many frens, i have many haters and my team sux (i would replace starmie for latias and weavile for keldeo lol). i will vote for epique because his team is really the best one here.
i thought i would have some fun here, but im disappointed. imo epiques team is really the best one here. if you want i can delete my team because it is really bad lmao (and im probably #2), so w/e.. this thread is pretty much garbage because people are really voting for friends here. this is gonna be my first and last participation in team building competitions, cya
ALRITE. Just felt like I had to say something here. On the contrary, a lot of people don't hate on you, they hate on the BP style in general. A lot of people actually think you're a talented teambuilder and player (just look at how many likes your teams get for example), so pulling the "people should stop hating me just cause im a bp player" pity card is kinda ridiculous. Secondly, it's not like Sugarhigh is just asking all his friends to vote for him. I find it strange how at the moment, Sugarhigh's the only one with voters who provide reasoning behind them voting for his team (see Dread's post or Fourth Inversion's), while none of your voters do the same.

Btw, doesn't this look a little suspect to you?

Oh yeah, this guy gave some great reasoning behind his vote too. Only 10 posts on Smogon! Guess he only tunes in to the Teambuilding comps.

Maybe you don't know these guys, but have you ever thought that Sugarhigh doesn't know or didn't ask the people voting for him either?

Finally your tone on the second post implies you think you're too good for the teambuilding comp or something, and if so so be it. But all I see is you being mad because you entered expected to win and things aren't going your way.

P.S, lol why do you keep telling everyone your team is shit? Maybe that's why people aren't voting for you.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Tokyo Tom you are being too harsh on denissss for no reason other than assumptions. dEnIsSsS you are being too sensitive for no reason, all the critique made to you by others so far has been pretty spot on, and this is a competitive thread in a competitive forum, where people are supposed to judge the teams on the slate and vote for the best of them. And that's all that needs to be said about this matter, no more drama in this thread, thanks!

Ok. I'm gonna give this a shot.

Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Psyshock
- Scald
- Thunderbolt

Weavile (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Ice Shard
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance
- Brick Break

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Electric]
- Icy Wind

Golbat (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Toxic
- Defog
- Roost
- Brave Bird

Rotom-Wash @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Confuse Ray
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hydro Pump

Scizor (M) @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
- Swords Dance
- Roost

This team has good coverage. Both physical(a.k.a Rotom-Wash) and special wall(a.k.a Golbat) and an unusual scarfed Keldeo. The mega Scizor is for getting rid of some pokemon like Clefable with a bullet punch or just for priority. Also, Starmie is a rapid spinner and if it faints, Golbat is backup to get rid of entry hazards. Brave bird on Golbat is just for damage when low enough and Keldeo runs Icy Wind and Hidden Power Fire for coverage and for other fast scarfed dragon pokemon like scarfed Garchomp or Flygon. It will make them switch out and that would be your chance for a safe switch-in. The Weavile also has priority to finish off lower-health Pokemon. Rotom-Wash is also a great physical wall with a Sitrus Berry. With it using Will-O-Wisp on physical attackers and confuse ray to confuse them and then Rotom-Wash keeps on attacking until they switch out or activate it's sitrus to keep attacking. Also threats like Charizard-Y when sent out the Rotom-Wash, it is good to switch it into the Golbat and Toxic it and keep roost stalling it until it faints because Charizard-Y is a big threat to this team. Weavile with knock off also gets rid of Psychic or Ghost walls and does a truck amount of damage. HP Electric on Keldeo gives coverage to some other Pokemon like Pelipper (Random Example), but you get the point.

Good Luck to the others!​
robotic jo, I think I can make some suggestions to help improve your team, as I'm guessing that you're fairly new to competitive pokemon.

Firstly, you need to include Stealth Rocks on your team. ShootingStarmie has written a great post on this topic. http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/the-importance-of-entry-hazards.3503278/ You don't currently have a pokemon that can learn Stealth Rocks on your team, but for some ideas, you can look at the other entries in this round, as all of us have used a different Stealth Rock setter to accompany this core; in addition to the pokemon that we've used, Heatran, Ferrothorn and Tyranitar are also very common Stealth Rock setters in OU.

Focus Blast should never be used on Keldeo, as it has access to a signature move, Secret Sword, which has a lower base power, but is 100% accurate and is a special attack that hits a pokemon on their defensive stat. Secret Sword is particularly important, as it allows Keldeo to 2HKO Chansey, who is an impassable wall for most special attackers.

Rotom-W's standard set is Hydro Pump/Volt Switch/Will-O-Wisp/Pain Split with Leftovers. Volt Switch is preferred to Thunderbolt, as despite it being slightly weaker, it allows Rotom-W to pivot out of battle and provide safe switches for teammates - for example, Latios is a safe switchin to Rotom-W, and giving it the chance to freely use Draco Meteor is unpleasant, but if you're able to Volt Switch on the predicted Latios switch, then you can safely bring in Weavile and go for Knock Off. Confuse Ray is a poor and unreliable move in general, and is bad on Rotom-W, as its low speed means that it will likely have to take a hit before using the move. I'd replace Confuse Ray with Pain Split, as that gives Rotom-W a semi-reliable source of recovery that can also be used offensively to wear down pokemon. Rotom-W's low HP stat also helps with this, as Pain Split can suck a lot of health from a max HP opponent. Finally, Leftovers should almost always be the healing item of choice in Singles (with rare exceptions, mainly for Belly Drum or Unburden users). Sitrus Berry is preferred in Doubles, as it's a fast paced metagame, and Sitrus Berry can activate during a turn, which can help save a pokemon if it gets double targeted/attacked by Mega Kangashkhan, but Singles games tend to last for much longer than Doubles, and Rotom-W is well placed to stick around and annoy the opponent for many turns.

I'd scrap Golbat entirely. Although it's good to keep entry hazards off the field, Starmie is a fairly reliable Rapid Spinner, and almost no teams can afford to use two pokemon for entry hazard removal. Incidentally, Golbat can't reliably stall out Mega Charizard-Y - 252+ SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Golbat in Sun: 199-235 (56.3 - 66.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO. Instead, you could replace it with the specially defensive Gliscor set from the Smogon dex, which is much better at walling pokemon, and has good synergy with your team. http://www.smogon.com/dex/xy/pokemon/gliscor

Your team will need further adjustments after this, but I'd make these four changes first, all of which should greatly improve the team, before testing it further on the ladder.

Last edited:
I wasn't aware you actually had to give reason. I noticed most people just vote on this thread so I did the same.

I chose sugarhigh's team because he has a very interesting take on HO utilising Salac skarm which is decent at guaranteeing hazards and has a nifty taunt/ alright uninvested bulk. Its a fast paced momentum based team with a nifty win con in double dance Landorus-T which is honestly lacking in today's meta and attracted me to it. I actually liked Deniss's concept however his team just had holes, like being very bisharp weak, or being almost 6-0d by offensive scizor. Volt-turn with weavile is a good way to utilise it since its frail and needs ways to come in outside of revenge killing.

I'm not sure what happened with this thread....

looiiyut

GIOVANE AUTISMOTTA
ALRITE. Just felt like I had to say something here. On the contrary, a lot of people don't hate on you, they hate on the BP style in general. A lot of people actually think you're a talented teambuilder and player (just look at how many likes your teams get for example), so pulling the "people should stop hating me just cause im a bp player" pity card is kinda ridiculous. Secondly, it's not like Sugarhigh is just asking all his friends to vote for him. I find it strange how at the moment, Sugarhigh's the only one with voters who provide reasoning behind them voting for his team (see Dread's post or Fourth Inversion's), while none of your voters do the same.

Btw, doesn't this look a little suspect to you?

Oh yeah, this guy gave some great reasoning behind his vote too. Only 10 posts on Smogon! Guess he only tunes in to the Teambuilding comps.

Maybe you don't know these guys, but have you ever thought that Sugarhigh doesn't know or didn't ask the people voting for him either?

Finally your tone on the second post implies you think you're too good for the teambuilding comp or something, and if so so be it. But all I see is you being mad because you entered expected to win and things aren't going your way.

P.S, lol why do you keep telling everyone your team is shit? Maybe that's why people aren't voting for you.
What you say it's not true! I find suspect the fact that some mentors and moderators didn't vote for Sugarhigh or dEnIsSsS.
You say that havor with 10 posts on smogon gave a great reasons behind his vote. Do you read Halcyon post? Around 1500 posts on smogon and he says "Sugarhigh, My boi. Fuck Denis". Wow! I have around 40 posts, Can I vote?

My vote is for dEnIsSsS because I like the volturn core (great help to frail pokemons like weavile) and I like the idea of HP fire on starmie that can OHKO offensive scizor. Yes, the team is weak to bisharp like sugarhigh's team is weak to Mega manectric.
With a little investment on defense as smogon strategy pokedex suggest, he could survive to a +2atk sucker punch at full health and revenge kill with low kick.
I test on ladder denis' team and I get my best result (around 1750).

plenty of other great teambuilders stop by to give input (like jukain and alexwolf, for example) but anyway the main think is this is a comp, not a help thread, so les keep it that way (but make it less biased if possible)
I saw that alexwolf and jukain have voted and they did also other moderators and mentors. Why not let them choose the winner? In this way you avoid all these problems. In the victim of the week thread the best 3 cheeck and 3 counters are chosen by skilled players .

I don't want help, I want to see how good players build a team.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really enjoyed Rosen's team build and I'm not sure if you can still vote /calling me a D-ride because I have no clue who that is but his team was good.
He already covered the main points so I won't bother explaining the technical aspects of why I think it's good but yeah he's got my vote if it's still valid.
Good job man

Round 11.

Very underrated core, Manaphy very capable of taking down most stall teams and CharizardX being able to handle offensive amazingly. I've had a lot of fun testing this core the past few weeks and wanted to see what good teams others could get out of it.
From this round on, I will only accept a PM of the team and I will submit it!
Once we have 6 teams I will start the voting. (now 7 because the last 2 submissions were both done while I was offline)
Please refrain from telling your friends which team is yours till after the voting.

Good luck everyone!

Last edited:
In the mean time, to get the best teams possible we could get some players talking about the core in question. This way the thread still has publicity and interest while people are building there teams. + If people feel they can improve their own teams with the discussion that goes on all the better.

Figured I'd start. I really like this core with Sub or RD Manaphy and Jolly Zard. Both these sets destroy an entire play style. Not many offensive teams have much for a +1 ZarX outside Scarf Landorus-T, which Jolly ZarX KO's after rocks (After intimidate) and outspeeds any scarf Landt. Where on the other hand Sub or RD Manaphy with Tail Glow/Psychic/Scald destroys stall, all that I have played with the set. Sub if preferred for me personally, because against stall you can get +6 very easy, but RD has proven to be better against Balance and Offensive. I think that comes down to personal preference.

Last edited:
imo you need to tailor the set of one in relation to the other, as in, if you want to use a Zard set with flare blitz, rain dance is a counterproductive set to use on manaphy as it severely weakens all fire moves. if you want to use rain dance manaphy, flare blitz on Zard is a waste of a moveslot, and what blitz would normally deal with should be compensated for with other team members. the way I'd go about it is to bring out the full sweeping potential of each mon within the limits of the core, and whatever weaknesses remain should be dealt with by the remaining 4 members

I'm interested to see how this core handles sets like Scarf Landorus or Sand Rush Excadrill. The fast grounds are a definite initial issue to be solved, as the two pokes in core both sit at 100 in speed tiers and both can easily justify not running jolly/timid.

Another point of note is if you follow the idea of Manaphy for stall/Charizard for Offense, you'll probably be talking about an RD manaphy set. In that case, how are you prepared for any water absorb users/bulky waters like Suicune? It might be an idea to completely reverse that (SD+TailWind ZardX, Tail Glow Manaphy) to get by the bulky waters that could give RD+DD ManaZardX core issues.

RD Manaphy has a pretty good match-up vs Sand offensive and fast ground mons, 252+ Atk Life Orb Excadrill Earthquake vs. 80 HP / 0 Def Manaphy: 242-285 (67 - 78.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO. Being able to tank a hit, RD up and then OHKO Excadrill or do a lot of damage to most things that come in. I like the idea of Tailwind ZarX + 3atk Manaphy, the only problem is Tailwind only lasts for 3 turns (not including the turn used) and that is not enough time really to switch out and get a boost on Manaphy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)