Project OU Teambuilding Competition V8 (Round 24: Building: Post #721 Page 29: Mega Latias + Togekiss)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Alrighty then so Team 7 by fleggumfl is the winner of this round. New core and round begins now. I will be putting the team into archives momentarily. I'm also considering scrapping the put teams in here thing depending on how it looks next round. I rather see discussion on the core itself and how to build around it than stuff I've been seeing.

Round 6 Core: Mega Altaria + Volcarona

Thanks to Celticpride for suggesting this one in a chat I was having with him. Two mons, both weak to Talonflame, with Volcarona able to break down steels such as M-Scizor and Ferrothorn while Mega Altaria provides relief for the likes of Keldeo. Enjoy.

So some of the logic behind this core. I've seen a ton of those Diancie-Volc cores, and somehow I arrived at using Alt over Diancie, partially due to the huge Water weakness Diancie and Volc creates, and the general need for multiple Water resists that most balanced and bulky builds necessitate. Alt obviously turns the Water weakness into a strength while also still offering the potential that an offensive Fairy presents. Megas tend to make competitions like this boring in general but I think Alt is so versatile in terms of sets that it can fill a lot of different roles on different playstyles.

Anyone gonna get ballsy and use Defog AND Rapid Spin? Volc and no hazard removal? Will we see a Xatu? So many questions...

Altaria @ Altarianite
Ability: Natural Cure
Happiness: 0
EVs: 248 HP / 136 Def / 92 SpD / 32 Spe
Impish Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Frustration
- Earthquake
- Roost

Volcarona @ Passho Berry
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 40 HP / 248 SpA / 220 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Quiver Dance
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Giga Drain

Toxicroak @ Life Orb
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 8 HP / 208 Atk / 40 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Drain Punch
- Sucker Punch
- Ice Punch

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 248 HP / 164 Def / 76 SpD / 20 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Dragon Tail
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- U-turn
- Fire Punch
- Healing Wish

Scizor @ Leftovers
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 72 Def / 188 SpD
Careful Nature
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Bullet Punch
- Defog

Mega Altaria + Volcarona is a very cool core. I started by adding Toxicroak to the core, as I felt that it would be a cool addition to check Azumarill offensively as well as Keldeo, which is extremely troublesome for the core. Also, it is purple. In Europe, since the time of the Tyrian, purple has been worn by Roman emperors, and is largely associated with royalty. Even today, it is still used as a ceremonial colour for the British Royal Family, among others, for special occasions. Next, I added Garchomp for SR support. Garchomp is a good SR setter for bulky offense teams due to it being able to deter most Rapid Spinners and Defoggers. Garchomp also helps to check Talonflame, which counters this core. Garchomp is also purple, which fits extremely well aesthetically with Toxicroak. This purple duo has great colour coordination. It allows you to have a sense of spiritual fulfilment when you use this team, due to the colour purple. Purple is also said to expand your awareness, and connect you to a higher consciousness. This is important in ladder games, so you don't choke away your game. In long stall games, it is important to be able to keep yourself awake, and purple is one of the best colours for this, which should provide you with good results. Jirachi was added next to patch up the holes to the team, such as Mega Gardevoir, etc. Scarf Healing Wish allows it to heal up Mega Altaria or Volcarona for a second chance at breaking through defensive cores. It also helps check Mega Venusaur, which stops Mega Altaria completely, Clefable, and the Lati twins. The team was now looking extremely weak to Weavile, as well as a few physical threats, and I still lacked hazard control. Putting Scizor anyway instead of Skarmory because fuck Gliscor I don't need checks for that shit.

Last edited by a moderator:

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Might make some tweaks before the deadline but I'm pretty happy with the squad I built so far.

Altaria @ Altarianite
EVs: 80 HP / 252 SpA / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake
- Roost

Volcarona @ Lum Berry
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fire Blast
- Giga Drain
- Bug Buzz

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Calm Mind
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Stream
Jolly Nature
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Superpower

Excadrill @ Air Balloon
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def/ 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin
- Rock Slide

Ferrothorn @ Chople Berry
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 92 Def / 168 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip

I wanted to pair mixed wallbreaking Mega Altaria with Volcarona. It lures and KOs Heatran once Hyper Voice is revealed, plus based on the build it appears to be DD Alt + Volc for steels so bulky steel types are lured nicely (prior to revealing Hyper Voice) for Excadrill. The original core is very weak to Talonflame and Excadrill, so it was imperative that a bulky water was added. I went with Suicune because of its insane bulk, ability to status absorb, and the threat it provides as a bulky setup sweeper. At this point I wanted hazards + removal and some type of speed control since the squad was pretty slow, so I went with a sand core. I originally had support tar, but this team didn't need the extra turns of sand and Choice Scarf gives me some much needed speed as well as something for annoying mons like Gengar and Latios. Excadrill is the other half of the sand core + speed control, Rapid Spin to remove hazards particularly for Volcarona. Wanted Air Balloon since the team is grounded (weak to other drills a bit) and it takes no spikes damage or LO recoil on spins - qualities that are more appropriate when spinning is actually necessary on the team. Was weak to some fairies and still pretty annoyed by Manaphy so Ferrothorn in the last slot made sense. Finally got Stealth Rock support and Leech Seed is necessary since it doesn't recover HP passively with leftovers - it is holding a Chople Berry to surprise Gardevoirs/Lopunnys and so on. Power Whip for Manaphy/Diancie and bulky waters, while Thunder Wave gives me yet another form of speed control. I did want T Wave + Iron Head for Clefable but making ttar scarf forced rocks onto Ferro and I don't really have the moveslot. TWave and Power Whip are still pretty effective against Gardevoir which can be revenged by Scarftar and also struggles to defeat Suicune at +1.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Might make some tweaks before the deadline but I'm pretty happy with the squad I built so far.

Altaria @ Altarianite
Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake
- Roost

Volcarona @ Lum Berry
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fire Blast
- Giga Drain
- Bug Buzz

Suicune @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Calm Mind
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Superpower

Excadrill @ Air Balloon
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin
- Rock Slide

Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip

I wanted to pair mixed wallbreaking Mega Altaria with Volcarona. It lures and KOs Heatran once Hyper Voice is revealed, plus based on the build it appears to be DD Alt + Volc for steels so bulky steel types are lured nicely (prior to revealing Hyper Voice) for Excadrill. The original core is very weak to Talonflame and Excadrill, so it was imperative that a bulky water was added. I went with Suicune because of its insane bulk, ability to status absorb, and the threat it provides as a bulky setup sweeper. At this point I wanted hazards + removal and some type of speed control since the squad was pretty slow, so I went with a sand core. I originally had support tar, but this team didn't need the extra turns of sand and Choice Scarf gives me some much needed speed as well as something for annoying mons like Gengar and Latios. Excadrill is the other half of the sand core + speed control, Rapid Spin to remove hazards particularly for Volcarona. Wanted Air Balloon since the team is grounded (weak to other drills a bit) and it takes no spikes damage or LO recoil on spins - qualities that are more appropriate when spinning is actually necessary on the team. Was weak to some fairies and still pretty annoyed by Manaphy so Ferrothorn in the last slot made sense. Finally got Stealth Rock support and Leech Seed is necessary since it doesn't recover HP passively with leftovers - it is holding a Chople Berry to surprise Gardevoirs/Lopunnys and so on. Power Whip for Manaphy/Diancie and bulky waters, while Thunder Wave gives me yet another form of speed control. I did want T Wave + Iron Head for Clefable but making ttar scarf forced rocks onto Ferro and I don't really have the moveslot. TWave and Power Whip are still pretty effective against Gardevoir which can be revenged by Scarftar and also struggles to defeat Suicune at +1.
I was thinking about this kind of build earlier with everything except Slowbro > Suicune which I think would be nice to sort of certify being a check to the likes of Char-X, Lopunny, and others all at once. However I do like Suicune on this build for its ability to function as a check to Weavile, an issue with that idea I had earlier.

p2

Banned deucer.
This is still WIP and will likely need a bunch of tweaks but I feel it works nicely for now

GDI WHY ARE ALL MY TEAMS WEAK TO WEAVILE

Yeah this team is kinda cool. I feel it needs more testing though because I've only played mid-ladder with it, but I'm happy with what I got right now. Alt+Volc's the starting core blah blah, I can't stand defensive Alt, it's so slow and weak when unboosted, offensive Alt is nice though, honestly I've thought about offensive Heal Bell because Rotom-W actually troubles this team, but Fire Blast sounds cool because it lures in Scizor when this team is quite weak to it. Volc is standard too, though Bug Buzz is nice since Alt can lure Heatran in while Volc is capable of shitting on ABR stall as long as it can OHKO Goth (!). Lum Berry because Twave's a total dick and killing Thundurus when it thinks it can stop Volc from sweeping is nice too. The team needs SR + a Talon check so I went with one of the most consistent setters, which has recovery and can actually handle Bisharp outside of a flinch at +2. Slowbro is basic too, extra Keldeo check because Alt's gonna get burned by the inevitable Scald, it also annoys Talonflame. Toxic hits Rotom-W which is quite annoying for this team despite being a mediocre mon. Latios purely because I think Starmie is garbage, it removes hazards and does a way better job of checking Manaphy which is cool too. Metagross plugs a bunch of holes this team has a large fairy and too a lesser extent, Psychic weakness. It shuts down Latis (which made me turn to HP ground on Volc but Alt lures Tran, fuck decision making though). Also the colour scheme for this team is too good and I deserve to win for that alone.

edits: Fire Blast Slowbro lures in Ferrothorn which I'm actually quite weak too.

Altaria @ Altarianite
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Roost
- Double-Edge
- Earthquake

Volcarona @ Lum Berry
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fire Blast
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Slowbro @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Slack Off
- Fire Blast

Latios @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
- Roost
- Defog

Metagross @ Assault Vest
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Atk / 96 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Bullet Punch
- Earthquake
- Pursuit

Last edited:

Volcarona @ Lum Berry
EVs: 72 HP / 252 SpA / 184 Spe
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fire Blast
- Giga Drain
- Bug Buzz

Altaria @ Altarianite
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Return
- Earthquake
- Roost

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Ability: Thick Fat
Jolly Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Icicle Crash
- Stealth Rock

Thundurus @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Thunderbolt
- Thunder Wave
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Analytic
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Hydro Pump
- Psyshock
- Thunderbolt

Lucario @ Choice Band
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Ice Punch
- Extreme Speed
- Iron Tail

Volcarona is a fearsome sweeper once certain conditions have been met. This team is based around Volcarona being my main late-game sweeper, with the rest of the team being built around facilitating the sweep whilst also being strong wincons in their own right.

Volcarona being the MVP of choice I went with a rather standard set for the other teammates to fill in the gaps. One quiver dance is usually all it takes to clean up late-game as long as fire blast doesn't miss. Lum berry and giga drain improve the match-up against stall, avoiding stray toxics from the likes of Hippowdon while you 2HKO and getting the OHKO on Quagsire even unboosted. Burn immunity is also nice for an offensive team. Speed EVs are to outspeed scarf Lando-T after a QD and the rest into HP for a bit more longevity.

Mega Altaria is a really versatile mon and I wanted to make sure to use her in a way to benefit Volcarona. This Volc is walled by fire and dragon types, so the standard offensive DD set allows Alt to take out the majority of the problem mons such as Heatran, Dragonite, Latis, etc. In return, Volc takes care of the steels which Altaria can't touch such as Skarmory with fire blast. Between them there's not much they can't handle.

Thundurus brings an answer to Talonflame, which walls the core. With nasty plot he is also a decent wall/stallbreaker. Prankster thunder wave can be really clutch vs offence as despite having 2 forms of priority the team is relatively slow before setting up. Originally I had sludge wave to beat unaware Clefable, but Lucario can handle it and HP ice is much better coverage. Also having ice spam on 3 team members has been clutch in a few matches to help wear down the opposition.

Mamoswine brings priority to the table plus stealth rocks and an electric immunity. He is actually a great rocks setter as he threatens and can force out two of the other main rock setters in Lando-T and Chomp, helping to keep rocks off the field for Volcarona. Ice shard helps vs scarfed mons and with his STABs and thick fat can beat threats such as M-Mane, Thundurus, Hippowdon, etc. 29 HP IVs hits a life orb number.

Starmie obviously brings reliable much-needed hazard removal to the team without sacrificing offensive presence. A powerful hydro pump (can you tell I hate grounds yet?) plus psyshock to dent M-Venu and thunderbolt which, in addition to Starmie's water resist, helps vs bulky waters such as Suicune, Slowbro and Manaphy (watch out for e-ball though).

Lucario fulfils a lot of roles here, strong priority to improve the matchup vs offence, fairy killer, quad rock resist, dark absorber, toxic immunity. It's a bit of an unorthodox set, originally I went with a SD set but I felt I needed all 4 moveslots, and with a choice band Lucario is a surprisingly effective wallbreaker / late-game cleaner, especially if he can nab a justified boost. Band also guarantees the OHKO on the likes of Clefable, M-Alt etc. Not being able to switch moves sucks sometimes but I have enough sweepers and CB close combat is just stupidly powerful and definitely makes up for it on this team. As my only rock resist, ice punch is required to threaten the many ice-weak mons which carry EdgeQuake coverage. Jolly over adamant to ensure outspeeding all Altaria and the drop in power doesn't seem to matter.

Last edited:
Hmmm, no Bulky Volcs...

Volcarona @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Roost
- Fire Blast
- Bug Buzz
- Quiver Dance

Altaria @ Altarianite
Ability: Cloud Nine
EVs: 252 HP / 96 Def / 160 Spe
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Return
- Heal Bell
- Dragon Dance

Zapdos @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Def / 136 SpA / 108 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Volt Switch
- Heat Wave
- Roost
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 36 Def / 220 Spe
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Pain Split

Tornadus-Therian @ Assault Vest
EVs: 76 HP / 180 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Hurricane
- Focus Blast

Scizor @ Shed Shell
EVs: 252 HP / 96 Atk / 76 Def / 84 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch

+
: Started off with the core. Bulky DD Mega Alt w/ Heal Bell. Ran 160 Spe to outspeed Thundurus at +1. Offensive Volcarona is nice, but I feel like Bulkarona is a much better teammate to Mega Altaria. Completely walling most Steel-Types, a Second Win Con, and a nice Flame Body Scald (30%) burn change.

+
: Both Mega Alt and Volcarona were completely walled by Heatran, and I didn't want to run Duggy or Goth or something, so I just ran this VoltTurn core to wear down the opponent's team, especially Heatran (which always switches to Zapdos). You can probably tell by my EVs that I REALLY Bisharp ... oh and yeah offensive zapdos is next gen.

+
: Those checked what the team was really weak to, Gengar, Mega Diancie, and Weavile. They both provided U-turn which meant that this team became really VoltTurn based. Tornadus-T also gave me another Keldeo check if I didn't want to risk Altaria / or it was weakened. Every time I have a stupid item on Scizor, but I need Shed Shell so I don't lose to Magnezone + Mega Diancie/Mega Altaria teams, which otherwise have a huge advantage over me.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-277651349 - Volcarona blew him back (Sucker punch Mega Sableye xD)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-277653944 - Against Haters Will Always Hate, aka BC Wish Killer 2.0 aka BC Wish Killer's TRASH chansey team. Destroyed.

Last edited:
Built with ArchPhantom aka best pal

Volcarona (M) @ Lum Berry
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fiery Dance
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Altaria (F) @ Altarianite
EVs: 192 HP / 136 Atk / 180 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Frustration
- Earthquake
- Roost

Tyranitar (M) @ Choice Band
EVs: 48 HP / 252 Atk / 208 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Stone Edge
- Aqua Tail
- Pursuit

Cobalion @ Shuca Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Def / 208 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 30 HP / 30 Def
- Focus Blast
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Stealth Rock

Latias (F) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Dragon Pulse
- Thunderbolt
- Healing Wish
- Defog

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Earth Plate
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 212 Atk / 44 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Rock Polish
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Volcarona + Altaria is definitely weak to Talonflame, and this in conjunction with the fact that Volcarona builds tend to be stall weak, adding CB Tar allows us to near, if not ohko talonflame on the switchout with pursuit, busting through stall teams, as well as trapping common hazard removers paired with the bird, making it that much easier to deal with. So after a bit of brainstorming and a couple of failed builds we noticed three threats that were constantly standing out and weren't dealt with. These were Excadrill, Bisharp and opposing Altaria. Cobalion provides a good answer to the latter two and it weakening Chompers for Volc/TTar is appreciated. Also you shouldn't run Cobalion without pursuit unless you like to never have hazards against Starmie balance. Shuca just helps not lose momentum to shit like Drill. Since this team was built with Arch we had to pack Latias, on a more serious note though, healing wish + defog is pretty much the best support for Volc + Alt, and Tbolt lures Skarmories in rather nicely. Having Cobalion to set SR, it allows us to run a setup set of landt which allows us to break fat shit further, as well as checking Drill. The team definitely has some issues but all teams pretty much will with a mon like Volc that really doesn't provide much defensive synergy, so might as well focus on your momentum either way. Some of these threats include Weavile, Manaphy/Gatr, Clef etc.

Last edited:
This could probably have been engineered better, but I'm running out of time.

Altaria-Mega (F) @ Altarianite
EVs: 248 HP / 136 Def / 96 SpD / 28 Spe
Impish Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Return
- Heal Bell
- Roost

Xatu (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 16 Spe
- Toxic
- Roost
- Heat Wave
- U-turn

Dugtrio (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Arena Trap
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch
- Memento
- Stone Edge

Volcarona (F) @ Lum Berry
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fire Blast
- Bug Buzz
- Giga Drain

Heatran (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 192 SpD / 68 Spe
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Toxic
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock

Suicune @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Calm Mind
- Rest
- Roar

The first immediate thing to pop into my mind when I saw the core was to try and fit in either Xatu or Espeon; Xatu in particular I liked, because it had some actual bulk backing it up, and can act as a decent physically-defensive pivot. I used the BW set, with a Relaxed nature and 16 Speed IVs to ALWAYS underspeed Heatran and get a safe U-Turn. Dugtrio is a decent trapper in its own right, and helps Volcarona in getting rid of Heatran; I decided to use the Band set since the Sash set has always been lackluster to me. Memento is also a cool tool to help Volcarona set up, especially since I'm not running BulkyRona. The M-Altaria set is DDD, since it's mainly used for its resistances; it also allows me a secondary way to set up if Volcarona fails. Heatran is the choice of Rocker since it deals with Talonflame so well; while Xatu could potentially wall it, it can't do so for long, and the best thing it can really do is try to Toxic stall. At this point, I have a lot of problems, most notably Azumarill; While Suicune doesn't like taking a banded Play Rough, the next best option in the slot is Slowbro, which just invites Banded Knock Offs to be freely spammed. Suicune is also my best answer to set-up Pokemon like BD Azumarill, and Stall.

It's not perfect, but it'll have to do.

edit: Heal Bell > Refresh on M-Alt, I already have Suicune for Stall and my team appreciates status removal.

Last edited:

AM

LCPL Champion
Votings tomorrow, hot squads keep em coming and feel free to edit until then.

AM

LCPL Champion
Okie Dokie Round 6 Voting stage begins now. Here are the teams. Next round is going to be touching upon a "concept" so stay tuned for that Thursday.

Team 1

Altaria @ Altarianite
EVs: 248 HP / 136 Def / 92 SpD / 32 Spe
Impish Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Frustration
- Earthquake
- Roost

Volcarona @ Passho Berry
EVs: 40 HP / 248 SpA / 220 Spe
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Giga Drain

Toxicroak @ Life Orb
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 8 HP / 208 Atk / 40 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Drain Punch
- Sucker Punch
- Ice Punch

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 248 HP / 164 Def / 76 SpD / 20 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Dragon Tail
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- U-turn
- Fire Punch
- Healing Wish

Scizor @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 72 Def / 188 SpD
Careful Nature
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Bullet Punch
- Defog
Mega Altaria + Volcarona is a very cool core. I started by adding Toxicroak to the core, as I felt that it would be a cool addition to check Azumarill offensively as well as Keldeo, which is extremely troublesome for the core. Also, it is purple. In Europe, since the time of the Tyrian, purple has been worn by Roman emperors, and is largely associated with royalty. Even today, it is still used as a ceremonial colour for the British Royal Family, among others, for special occasions. Next, I added Garchomp for SR support. Garchomp is a good SR setter for bulky offense teams due to it being able to deter most Rapid Spinners and Defoggers. Garchomp also helps to check Talonflame, which counters this core. Garchomp is also purple, which fits extremely well aesthetically with Toxicroak. This purple duo has great colour coordination. It allows you to have a sense of spiritual fulfilment when you use this team, due to the colour purple. Purple is also said to expand your awareness, and connect you to a higher consciousness. This is important in ladder games, so you don't choke away your game. In long stall games, it is important to be able to keep yourself awake, and purple is one of the best colours for this, which should provide you with good results. Jirachi was added next to patch up the holes to the team, such as Mega Gardevoir, etc. Scarf Healing Wish allows it to heal up Mega Altaria or Volcarona for a second chance at breaking through defensive cores. It also helps check Mega Venusaur, which stops Mega Altaria completely, Clefable, and the Lati twins. The team was now looking extremely weak to Weavile, as well as a few physical threats, and I still lacked hazard control. Putting Scizor anyway instead of Skarmory because fuck Gliscor I don't need checks for that shit.
Team 2

Altaria @ Altarianite
Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake
- Roost

Volcarona @ Lum Berry
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fire Blast
- Giga Drain
- Bug Buzz

Suicune @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Calm Mind
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Superpower

Excadrill @ Air Balloon
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin
- Rock Slide

Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
Team 3

Altaria @ Altarianite
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Roost
- Double-Edge
- Earthquake

Volcarona @ Lum Berry
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fire Blast
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Slowbro @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Slack Off
- Fire Blast

Latios @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
- Roost
- Defog

Metagross @ Assault Vest
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Atk / 96 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Bullet Punch
- Earthquake
- Pursuit
Yeah this team is kinda cool. I feel it needs more testing though because I've only played mid-ladder with it, but I'm happy with what I got right now. Alt+Volc's the starting core blah blah, I can't stand defensive Alt, it's so slow and weak when unboosted, offensive Alt is nice though, honestly I've thought about offensive Heal Bell because Rotom-W actually troubles this team, but Fire Blast sounds cool because it lures in Scizor when this team is quite weak to it. Volc is standard too, though Bug Buzz is nice since Alt can lure Heatran in while Volc is capable of shitting on ABR stall as long as it can OHKO Goth (!). Lum Berry because Twave's a total dick and killing Thundurus when it thinks it can stop Volc from sweeping is nice too. The team needs SR + a Talon check so I went with one of the most consistent setters, which has recovery and can actually handle Bisharp outside of a flinch at +2. Slowbro is basic too, extra Keldeo check because Alt's gonna get burned by the inevitable Scald, it also annoys Talonflame. Toxic hits Rotom-W which is quite annoying for this team despite being a mediocre mon. Latios purely because I think Starmie is garbage, it removes hazards and does a way better job of checking Manaphy which is cool too. Metagross plugs a bunch of holes this team has a large fairy and too a lesser extent, Psychic weakness. It shuts down Latis (which made me turn to HP ground on Volc but Alt lures Tran, fuck decision making though). Also the colour scheme for this team is too good and I deserve to win for that alone.

edits: Fire Blast Slowbro lures in Ferrothorn which I'm actually quite weak too.
Team 4

Volcarona @ Lum Berry
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fire Blast
- Giga Drain
- Bug Buzz

Altaria @ Altarianite
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Return
- Earthquake
- Roost

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Ability: Thick Fat
Jolly Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Icicle Crash
- Stealth Rock

Thundurus @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Thunderbolt
- Thunder Wave
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Analytic
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Hydro Pump
- Psyshock
- Thunderbolt

Lucario @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Ice Punch
- Extreme Speed
- Iron Tail
Volcarona is a fearsome sweeper once certain conditions have been met. This team is based around Volcarona being my main late-game sweeper, with the rest of the team being built around facilitating the sweep whilst also being strong wincons in their own right.

Volcarona being the MVP of choice I went with a rather standard set for the other teammates to fill in the gaps. One quiver dance is usually all it takes to clean up late-game as long as fire blast doesn't miss. Lum berry and giga drain improve the match-up against stall, avoiding stray toxics from the likes of Hippowdon while you 2HKO and getting the OHKO on Quagsire even unboosted. Burn immunity is also nice for an offensive team. Speed EVs are to outspeed scarf Lando-T after a QD and the rest into HP for a bit more longevity.

Mega Altaria is a really versatile mon and I wanted to make sure to use her in a way to benefit Volcarona. This Volc is walled by fire and dragon types, so the standard offensive DD set allows Alt to take out the majority of the problem mons such as Heatran, Dragonite, Latis, etc. In return, Volc takes care of the steels which Altaria can't touch such as Skarmory with fire blast. Between them there's not much they can't handle.

Thundurus brings an answer to Talonflame, which walls the core. With nasty plot he is also a decent wall/stallbreaker. Prankster thunder wave can be really clutch vs offence as despite having 2 forms of priority the team is relatively slow before setting up. Originally I had sludge wave to beat unaware Clefable, but Lucario can handle it and HP ice is much better coverage. Also having ice spam on 3 team members has been clutch in a few matches to help wear down the opposition.

Mamoswine brings priority to the table plus stealth rocks and an electric immunity. He is actually a great rocks setter as he threatens and can force out two of the other main rock setters in Lando-T and Chomp, helping to keep rocks off the field for Volcarona. Ice shard helps vs scarfed mons and with his STABs and thick fat can beat threats such as M-Mane, Thundurus, Hippowdon, etc. 29 HP IVs hits a life orb number.

Starmie obviously brings reliable much-needed hazard removal to the team without sacrificing offensive presence. A powerful hydro pump (can you tell I hate grounds yet?) plus psyshock to dent M-Venu and thunderbolt which, in addition to Starmie's water resist, helps vs bulky waters such as Suicune, Slowbro and Manaphy (watch out for e-ball though).

Lucario fulfils a lot of roles here, strong priority to improve the matchup vs offence, fairy killer, quad rock resist, dark absorber, toxic immunity. It's a bit of an unorthodox set, originally I went with a SD set but I felt I needed all 4 moveslots, and with a choice band Lucario is a surprisingly effective wallbreaker / late-game cleaner, especially if he can nab a justified boost. Band also guarantees the OHKO on the likes of Clefable, M-Alt etc. Not being able to switch moves sucks sometimes but I have enough sweepers and CB close combat is just stupidly powerful and definitely makes up for it on this team. As my only rock resist, ice punch is required to threaten the many ice-weak mons which carry EdgeQuake coverage. Jolly over adamant to ensure outspeeding all Altaria and the drop in power doesn't seem to matter.
Team 5

Volcarona @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Roost
- Fire Blast
- Bug Buzz
- Quiver Dance

Altaria @ Altarianite
Ability: Cloud Nine
EVs: 252 HP / 96 Def / 160 Spe
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Return
- Heal Bell
- Dragon Dance

Zapdos @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Def / 136 SpA / 108 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Volt Switch
- Heat Wave
- Roost
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 36 Def / 220 Spe
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Pain Split

Tornadus-Therian @ Assault Vest
EVs: 76 HP / 180 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Hurricane
- Focus Blast

Scizor @ Shed Shell
EVs: 252 HP / 96 Atk / 76 Def / 84 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
+
: Started off with the core. Bulky DD Mega Alt w/ Heal Bell. Ran 160 Spe to outspeed Thundurus at +1. Offensive Volcarona is nice, but I feel like Bulkarona is a much better teammate to Mega Altaria. Completely walling most Steel-Types, a Second Win Con, and a nice Flame Body Scald (30%) burn change.

+
: Both Mega Alt and Volcarona were completely walled by Heatran, and I didn't want to run Duggy or Goth or something, so I just ran this VoltTurn core to wear down the opponent's team, especially Heatran (which always switches to Zapdos). You can probably tell by my EVs that I REALLY Bisharp ... oh and yeah offensive zapdos is next gen.

+
: Those checked what the team was really weak to, Gengar, Mega Diancie, and Weavile. They both provided U-turn which meant that this team became really VoltTurn based. Tornadus-T also gave me another Keldeo check if I didn't want to risk Altaria / or it was weakened. Every time I have a stupid item on Scizor, but I need Shed Shell so I don't lose to Magnezone + Mega Diancie/Mega Altaria teams, which otherwise have a huge advantage over me.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-277651349 - Volcarona blew him back (Sucker punch Mega Sableye xD)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-277653944 - Against Haters Will Always Hate, aka BC Wish Killer 2.0 aka BC Wish Killer's TRASH chansey team. Destroyed.
Team 6

Volcarona (M) @ Lum Berry
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fiery Dance
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Altaria (F) @ Altarianite
EVs: 192 HP / 136 Atk / 180 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Frustration
- Earthquake
- Roost

Tyranitar (M) @ Choice Band
EVs: 48 HP / 252 Atk / 208 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Stone Edge
- Aqua Tail
- Pursuit

Cobalion @ Shuca Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Def / 208 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 30 HP / 30 Def
- Focus Blast
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Stealth Rock

Latias (F) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Dragon Pulse
- Thunderbolt
- Healing Wish
- Defog

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Earth Plate
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 212 Atk / 44 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Rock Polish
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
Volcarona + Altaria is definitely weak to Talonflame, and this in conjunction with the fact that Volcarona builds tend to be stall weak, adding CB Tar allows us to near, if not ohko talonflame on the switchout with pursuit, busting through stall teams, as well as trapping common hazard removers paired with the bird, making it that much easier to deal with. So after a bit of brainstorming and a couple of failed builds we noticed three threats that were constantly standing out and weren't dealt with. These were Excadrill, Bisharp and opposing Altaria. Cobalion provides a good answer to the latter two and it weakening Chompers for Volc/TTar is appreciated. Also you shouldn't run Cobalion without pursuit unless you like to never have hazards against Starmie balance. Shuca just helps not lose momentum to shit like Drill. Since this team was built with Arch we had to pack Latias, on a more serious note though, healing wish + defog is pretty much the best support for Volc + Alt, and Tbolt lures Skarmories in rather nicely. Having Cobalion to set SR, it allows us to run a setup set of landt which allows us to break fat shit further, as well as checking Drill. The team definitely has some issues but all teams pretty much will with a mon like Volc that really doesn't provide much defensive synergy, so might as well focus on your momentum either way. Some of these threats include Weavile, Manaphy/Gatr, Clef etc.
Team 7

Altaria-Mega (F) @ Altarianite
EVs: 248 HP / 136 Def / 96 SpD / 28 Spe
Impish Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Return
- Heal Bell
- Roost

Xatu (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 16 Spe
- Toxic
- Roost
- Heat Wave
- U-turn

Dugtrio (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Arena Trap
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch
- Memento
- Stone Edge

Volcarona (F) @ Lum Berry
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fire Blast
- Bug Buzz
- Giga Drain

Heatran (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 192 SpD / 68 Spe
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Toxic
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock

Suicune @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Calm Mind
- Rest
- Roar
The first immediate thing to pop into my mind when I saw the core was to try and fit in either Xatu or Espeon; Xatu in particular I liked, because it had some actual bulk backing it up, and can act as a decent physically-defensive pivot. I used the BW set, with a Relaxed nature and 16 Speed IVs to ALWAYS underspeed Heatran and get a safe U-Turn. Dugtrio is a decent trapper in its own right, and helps Volcarona in getting rid of Heatran; I decided to use the Band set since the Sash set has always been lackluster to me. Memento is also a cool tool to help Volcarona set up, especially since I'm not running BulkyRona. The M-Altaria set is DDD, since it's mainly used for its resistances; it also allows me a secondary way to set up if Volcarona fails. Heatran is the choice of Rocker since it deals with Talonflame so well; while Xatu could potentially wall it, it can't do so for long, and the best thing it can really do is try to Toxic stall. At this point, I have a lot of problems, most notably Azumarill; While Suicune doesn't like taking a banded Play Rough, the next best option in the slot is Slowbro, which just invites Banded Knock Offs to be freely spammed. Suicune is also my best answer to set-up Pokemon like BD Azumarill, and Stall.

It's not perfect, but it'll have to do.

edit: Heal Bell > Refresh on M-Alt, I already have Suicune for Stall and my team appreciates status removal.

team 6

team 1 has good ethics, but i don't like how water types like gyarados, slowbro, and manaphy have a field day

team 1 has good ethics, but i don't like how water types like gyarados, slowbro, and manaphy have a field day
lol i never thought that even with toxicroak and mega altaria my build would still be considered weak to these. could you elaborate? reg gyara i can handle with chomp, mega with mega altaria, slowbro with mega altaria and volc to some extent, and manaphy with mega altaria and toxicroak (coverage dependent but this is always the case). thought i handled all these decently.

havent decided what i wanted to vote for, just wanted to get this off my chest.

lol i never thought that even with toxicroak and mega altaria my build would still be considered weak to these. could you elaborate? reg gyara i can handle with chomp, mega with mega altaria, slowbro with mega altaria and volc to some extent, and manaphy with mega altaria and toxicroak (coverage dependent but this is always the case). thought i handled all these decently.

havent decided what i wanted to vote for, just wanted to get this off my chest.
even if manaphy doesn't have psychic, it is doing a crap ton to toxic roam with +3 ice beam. slowbro is just twaving everything in practice which is problematic with passho volc and non heal bell altaria. gyarados i was mainly referring to its typing + intimidate which seems to check half your team even with its offensively inclined spreads. also sigh that you have no way to break past gliscor, rotom-w, or hippowdon which is kind of pathetic.

basically, scarf jirachi is useless at this point when mixrachi will clear path ways for scizor and toxicroak to spam their stabs: iron head / energy ball / hp ground / thunderbolt with expert belt (sorry typo). this also lets you run heal bell roost hyper voice fire blast alt which can tear some holes once you lure things with jirachi :0 mixalt is honestly so much more effective for this team so try these two sets out :pirate:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)