Other OU Theorymon [Revamped]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Porygon Z could always run HP Fighting for Tyranitar, but I'd rather run Ice Beam (and maybe Agility alongside to outspeed Landos, Garchomp, Mence, etc.).

Porygon Z could always run HP Fighting for Tyranitar, but I'd rather run Ice Beam (and maybe Agility alongside to outspeed Landos, Garchomp, Mence, etc.).
252+ SpA Life Orb Adaptability Porygon-Z Tri Attack vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Garchomp: 328-387 (91.8 - 108.4%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252+ SpA Life Orb Adaptability Porygon-Z Tri Attack vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Landorus: 343-406 (107.5 - 127.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Adaptability 80 bp STAB moves hit plenty hard, I'd focus on getting that Agility off.

Yikes. Hello AV Garchomp lol

But yeah then I agree that we are best talking Tri Attack/Shadow Ball/Agility/Nasty Plot. Of course there are gimmicks but this appears the most effective in the OU metagame.

I like Technician Mega Abomasnow the best, since it has a lot of interesting moves to abuse. Klutz Regigigas seems like a good idea too, but I don't think every theorymon should be "give a good ability to a Pokemon Nintendo intentionally gave a bad one."

Perhaps this is the best Porygon-Z set:

Porygon-Z @ Life Orb
Ability: Adaptability
Nature: Timid
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
- Substitute
- Tri Attack
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power Fighting

You probably think I'm psycho or something, but Substitute + Life Orb is definitely the best option if you were to ask me. With Tri Attack / Shadow Ball / Hidden Power Fighting, you gain perfect coverage. Sucker Punch and Knock Off are definitely good counters to a Pokemon whose only weakness is Dark. With Substitute, you basically bluff attacking against Bisharp to negate Sucker Punch, and get a free Sub up. Bisharp is forced to break the sub, you OHKO with Hidden Power Fighting. Since you can't really run the same thing against Tyranitar, you should probably set up as a lead. Another alternative is to use Nasty Plot instead of Shadow Ball, but you're missing out on a great STAB and coverage move against Ghost-types. Speaking of which, how awesome is it that you now check Gengar?

also can we please abolish the pathetic "campaigning your chosen pokemon change", it makes the thread terrible and there's virtually no reason for it. just stick to logical posting.
I'm here to also say that campaigning is staying :toast:

Perhaps this is the best Porygon-Z set:

Porygon-Z @ Life Orb
Ability: Adaptability
Nature: Timid
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
- Substitute
- Tri Attack
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power Fighting

You probably think I'm psycho or something, but Substitute + Life Orb is definitely the best option if you were to ask me. With Tri Attack / Shadow Ball / Hidden Power Fighting, you gain perfect coverage. Sucker Punch and Knock Off are definitely good counters to a Pokemon whose only weakness is Dark. With Substitute, you basically bluff attacking against Bisharp to negate Sucker Punch, and get a free Sub up. Bisharp is forced to break the sub, you OHKO with Hidden Power Fighting. Since you can't really run the same thing against Tyranitar, you should probably set up as a lead. Another alternative is to use Nasty Plot instead of Shadow Ball, but you're missing out on a great STAB and coverage move against Ghost-types. Speaking of which, how awesome is it that you now check Gengar?

I'm here to also say that campaigning is staying :toast:

Now guess i'll talk a litte:

As suggesting Mega Abomo with Ice Shard, I had originally thought of it as a way to take advantage of the non used Frost Breath but Bullet Seed and Ice Shard make Abomo a very scary threat to fight as truthfully, you just wont know how he is gonna hit you! We've seen how hard Breloom hits alone with Bullet Seed (often without even an item as it goes sash a lot these days) and this time packed with a priority that hit a lot of notable threats harder! He can screw around with so damn much now (stuff is gonna be afraid of switching into him for fear of what coverage he is utilizing) and Pinsir requires the +2 to be able to OHKO him after SR but idk, just the fact that he is actually capable of threatening something now (while not being over bearing on super high power moves) is what makes me intriqued. Frankly he may actually have some form of a niche now (as there really isn't one to be had at all right now).

P-Z is the other one im intriqued in just because as has been seen, he is my favorite normal type (I've gotten in one two many arguments over him here) and being able to have some resistances/immunities will help him dearly as he attempts to decimate his opponents. Whatever it is he hopes to do (via wall break with NP set, sweep with Agility) he will be able to have the dual pronged attack of Adaptability STABs behind it with the occasional coverage thrown in for good measure.

Klutz Regigigas is similar to ARcheops last time, just this time not as powerful. He has been likened to a mega in some ways, and while appropriate,not being able to use an item will hurt his usefulness. He still has immense bulk and power, just if they are gonna be wort the trade off will be impressive.

Sharpedo is definitely to be likened to Scolipede, and it must be considered if it is ultimately worth the trade of and inulsion for something that is still hurting for a teamslot.

Overall, interesting slate I guess. Its gonna be interesting voting phase I think.

So, here's looking at Porygon-Z's moves:

Tri-attack
1st STAB option. The added affects probably make it the first choice to deter some switches, unless they have something like Latias or Heatran ready to switch.

Shadow Ball
2nd STAB option. Has better coverage but less awesome affects. You'll be spamming this one more often.

Hidden Power Fighting
Useful coverage, but only really useful if predicted on the switch. Tyranitar's only 2HKO'd and Bisharp has sucker punch.

Substitute
Effectively counters Chansey, making it immune to all its moves. Only problem is that Porygon-Z can only 4HKO, so you'll also need Nasty Plot

Nasty Plot
Makes it an effective wall breaker

Agility
Lets it sweep.

Hello guys! This thread is going to be taking a major update very soon, so be prepared! One thing changing will be that the B- limitation is now being removed! Yeah, you heard me, you can now suggest Gale Wings Staraptor for all I care. Do note that anything above B will be taken heavily into consideration before it's actually approved, no Ice Beam Keldeos! n_n! Also, please discuss whether you'd like one Pokemon to focus on our four! Thanks!

:]

[creds to Jacks0n for this input / ideas]

Regigigas has already been trashed, so yeah. Sharpedo is outclassed by Scolipede, nuff said. I do like Porygon-Z getting a ghost typing, With adaptability to abuse the new shadow ball STAB, the most common sets being discussed are double dance sets, I'm not a huge fan of double dancers. Bisharp resists both his stabs and can pursuit trap, sucker punch or knock off, but still like it it. Abomasnow though has the move pool, as well as the mixed offensive stats to abuse technician moves. Its typing and speed leaves it as a weird power house, but ice shard sorta makes up for the speed. 7 weaknesses, a 4x weakness and a stealth rock weakness does not help its tanking either, with little recovery outside of leech seed. Not to mention its weak to most of the priority around, technician mach and bullet punch, Talonflame brave bird, meaning it can't out prioritize due to its terrible speed. Really for me, the voting's between Porygon and Abomasnow

If I were to use Pory-Z as a mon with its new lighting, I would be hard pressed on what I would like. Like it can use LO and Agility to get the 75% chance to OHKO Terrakion with SHadow Ball, can spam Tri-Attack to hax would be switch ins, yet would it be able to do its job adequately enough? I don't know if it could with all the crap that is running around but I believe it would be able to do so with some minimal effort. Cause sadly ghost type attacks aren't being spammed everywhere and fighting types usually come with knock off so who knows really.

I'd just like to say that I think some people are missing the point of Baton Pass Sharpedo. Firstly, it's not used for strictly Baton Pass support, it's more to get out at the last second or when a counter comes in and give the boost to something else with a bit lower Speed like Bisharp or something. Scolipede is a dedicated QuickPasser, Sharpedo uses Baton Pass as offensive momentum.

I'd just like to say that I think some people are missing the point of Baton Pass Sharpedo. Firstly, it's not used for strictly Baton Pass support, it's more to get out at the last second or when a counter comes in and give the boost to something else with a bit lower Speed like Bisharp or something. Scolipede is a dedicated QuickPasser, Sharpedo uses Baton Pass as offensive momentum.
Scolipede can do the same thing with an offensive Swords Dance set. If you run into something that walls Megahorn and Earthquake, it can Baton Pass both the speed and attack boosts. Scolipede is better in almost every way since it can pass other boosts, it has actual bulk and good defensive typing, and it outruns most of OU without even needing a speed boost which reduces the need for Protect. Sharpedo is weak, can't boost its offenses at all, and dies to any moderately powerful hit.

truedrew

Banned deucer.
What people fail to realize is that klutz regigigas would make for an amazing if not broken batonpass reciever
for example standard scolipede can pass +2 +2 to it and from then on regigigas has a field day with most opponens

What people fail to realize is that klutz regigigas would make for an amazing if not broken batonpass reciever
for example standard scolipede can pass +2 +2 to it and from then on regigigas has a field day with most opponens
What doesn't wreck ship with +2 speed and +2 (special) attack? Even there, I'd rather use something that has better STAB coverage than normal

Something also to consider is that Abomasnow has to megavolve so there will still be a few turns of Hail initially. It's interesting though because it makes it a pretty damn good Weather counter. Grass typing threatens both Rain and Sand sweepers pretty darn well. I find this would affect the metagame the most and is the best idea overall.

Something interesting: Substitute + Nasty Plot Porygon-Z is a great stallbreaker because Chansey can't even touch it. I'm kind of leaning towards Mega Abomasnow now.

Something also to consider is that Abomasnow has to megavolve so there will still be a few turns of Hail initially. It's interesting though because it makes it a pretty damn good Weather counter. Grass typing threatens both Rain and Sand sweepers pretty darn well. I find this would affect the metagame the most and is the best idea overall.
But the two biggest weather sweepers both can hit it pretty hard with their SE STABs. No, they can't switch in, and the weather's gone, but if SR is up, abomosnow's not going to appreciate an iron head or stone edge.

I'm currently leaning towards Porygon. That ice typing with that terrible speed isn't a recipe for success as far as I can tell. Technician ice shards sound great, but it can only do so much and it gets outsped by so much as well. I realize azumarill has that problem too, but it has that fantastically useful dual typing that makes it perfect.

Valmanway

My jimmies remain unrustled
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Regular Abomasnow can just use Soundproof instead of Hail Warning.

Regular Abomasnow can just use Soundproof instead of Hail Warning.

Which tbt sounds pretty comical in some regards as it tries to take advantage of something before going to Mega (absorbing a Hyper Voice for free and all I guess) but the passive of the pre-mega hail can be life saving at times with helping fight Sash-Loom and the like (course their is a thing called SR but I digress).

Of the slate, I think Abomasnow looks the most intriguing. We all know what can happen when you give Technician to something with priority--however Abomasnow won't have Specs boosting its Ice Shard the way Scizor had CB Bullet Punches. I do think it's worth noting that the removal of Snow Warning means no more 100% accurate Blizzards never mind that doesn't matter because Frost Breath outdamages…Bitchin. It does, however, make sense to still run Snow Warning on Base Abomasnow, because you'll still want to be able to take advantage of Hail. Now…Priority Ice-Type moves are pretty cool in the offensive metagame--a lot of Fliers out there don't like the threat of a priority move OHKOing them. All in all, I don't think it's going to make Abomasnow "A rank", but it'll certainly make things interesting.

Last edited:

Valmanway

My jimmies remain unrustled
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I think it's important to note that Technician Frost Breath outdamages Blizzard, so Mega Abomasnow only needs hail if he wants to passively wear down foes. Furthermore, while lacking a choice item or Life Orb hurts, the ability to go mixed is certainly a way to make up for it.

Why wasn't I aware voting had ended
Anywho. I'm liking the looks of Technician Abomasnow. With Frost Breath and Ice Shard, it does a CRAP ton of damage. Scizor still destroys it unless you run HP Fire. Does anybody do that? I'm not too used to this stupid thing, so I'm not sure what it runs.
252+ SpA Mega Abomasnow Hidden Power Fire vs. 248 HP / 100 SpD Scizor: 312-368 (90.9 - 107.2%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
It still sucks tho

Baton Pass Sharpedo would just piss me off lol. In all seriousness, the viability of Sharpedo would skyrocket. I don't know if it would be too amazing because it's so frail, but it would still be interesting.

Porygon-Z looks VERY interesting. I like that typing a lot (Isn't that the only Pokémon with that typing?) STAB Shadow Ball is gonna be pretty powerful. Chansey will still wall it, but that's about it. If I had to choose one to vote for it would probably be seizure duck.

Regigigas is interesting. Like Archeops, any ability is better than Slow Start, it's bulk is very nice and it has great stats. The problem is its typing and move set. It kinda has Flareon syndrome. Honestly, Klutz wouldn't help it too much. Lack of Leftovers would hurt the defensive set and lack of Life Orb and Choice Band would hurt the attacking sets. It'll still be pretty useless.

I'll add a bid to this in a few minutes once I switch computers.

Last edited:
Why wasn't I aware voting had ended
Anywho. I'm liking the looks of Technician Abomasnow. With Frost Breath and Ice Shard, it does a CRAP ton of damage. Scizor still destroys it unless you run HP Fire. Does anybody do that? I'm not too used to this stupid thing, so I'm not sure what it runs.
252+ SpA Mega Abomasnow Hidden Power Fire vs. 248 HP / 100 SpD Scizor: 312-368 (90.9 - 107.2%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
It still sucks tho

Baton Pass Sharpedo would just piss me off lol. In all seriousness, the viability of Sharpedo would skyrocket. I don't know if it would be too amazing because it's so frail, but it would still be interesting.

Porygon-2 looks VERY interesting. I like that typing a lot (Isn't that the only Pokémon with that typing?) STAB Shadow Ball is gonna be pretty powerful. Chansey will still wall it, but that's about it. If I had to choose one to vote for it would probably be seizure duck.

Regigigas is interesting. Like Archeops, any ability is better than Slow Start, it's bulk is very nice and it has great stats. The problem is its typing and move set. It kinda has Flareon syndrome. Honestly, Klutz wouldn't help it too much. Lack of Leftovers would hurt the defensive set and lack of Life Orb and Choice Band would hurt the attacking sets. It'll still be pretty useless.

I'll add a bid to this in a few minutes once I switch computers.
You sorgot forgot to factor technician into the HP Fire. 16 SpA Technician Mega Abomasnow Hidden Power Fire vs. 248 HP / 100 SpD Mega Scizor: 304-360 (88.6 - 104.9%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO

So not entirely weak in the slightest. Also Pory-Z not 2. And Chansey cant wall its SUb +NP set as it can just defeat it with the pure power of Adaptability Tri-Attack.

I think I mentioned this before, but a good reason not to have Snow Warning on regular Abomasnow is so it can actually take advantage of Synthesis. Unfortunately, Abomasnow already has major 4MSS as it is. It needs Frost Breath as its most powerful STAB and you want to take advantage of that powerful Ice Shard. The Grass STAB (either Giga Drain or Bullet Seed) is needed for bulky Waters and TTar. It needs HP Fire to not get walled by Mega Scizor and Earthquake (or Bulldoze although the speed drop won't help something as slow as Mega Abomasnow) to do anything to Heatran. But Synthesis allows it to be played like a more powerful Mega Vensaur but with a much worse defensive typing. Unfortunately, if you go through the viability rankings, it looks pretty depressing for Mega Abomasnow with how many top Pokemon in OU can hit it for super effective damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)