Project OU Theorymon [Voting: Check Post #3272]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Ground/Fairy Donphan is a very interesting addition for sure; we sure need more physically oriented Fairies. It can serve as a reliable check to strong Dragon, Fighting and Dark-types, since it can't be easily KO'd by their coverage moves, and can threaten them with STAB Play Rough and Earthquake. With that said, it isn't without its flaws though, as it needs to run Atk investment to KO most of the things it needs to check, and doesn't have reliable recovery..

Here are the defensive calcs:

252 SpA Mega Garchomp Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Donphan: 171-202 (44.5 - 52.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Donphan: 112-133 (29.1 - 34.6%) -- 99.9% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Bisharp Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Donphan: 180-212 (46.8 - 55.2%) -- 14.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Donphan: 273-322 (71 - 83.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Conkeldurr Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Donphan: 122-144 (31.7 - 37.5%) -- 0% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
Here are the offensive calcs:

0 Atk Donphan Play Rough vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Garchomp: 204-240 (57.1 - 67.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
-1 0 Atk Donphan Ice Fang vs. 0 HP / 24 Def Landorus-T: 156-188 (48.9 - 58.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
0 Atk Donphan Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Bisharp: 254-300 (93.3 - 110.2%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
0 Atk Donphan Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Charizard X: 230-272 (77.4 - 91.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
0 Atk Donphan Play Rough vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Conkeldurr: 236-282 (67.2 - 80.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Donphan @ Liechi Berry
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Play Rough
- Earthquake
- Substitute / Knock Off / Rock Slide / Ice Shard
- Rock Polish

For an offensive RP Donphan, I actually had in idea about a kind of wierd item; Liechi Berry. As Donphan has Sturdy, it can tank a hit from anything, RP up, and get the Liechi boost. This leaves it at +1 Atk and +2 Spe, and a huge possibility of sweeping if opposing priority users are gone, as a Donphan at 1 HP is easily KO'd by every kind of priority attack sadly. It is also possible to RP up with high HP, and sub your way down to the Liechi boost. Ice Shard lets you go earlier than other priority users at +2 Spe, which can be nice late game. I got this idea from when I ran Liechi Donphan in 1v1, which was awesome, and later on Liechi Weak Armor Skarmory in OU (In a joke team)

+1 252 Atk Donphan Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Sableye: 258-306 (84.8 - 100.6%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Donphan Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Manectric: 372-438 (132.3 - 155.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO (Not +1 because of M-Mane's Intimidate)
+1 252 Atk Donphan Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 172 Def Clefable: 243-286 (61.6 - 72.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252 Atk Donphan Play Rough vs. 64 HP / 0 Def Altaria: 456-536 (148.5 - 174.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252 Atk Donphan Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Altaria: 320-380 (90.3 - 107.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+1 252 Atk Donphan Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Metagross: 326-386 (108.3 - 128.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252 Atk Donphan Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard X: 422-500 (117.5 - 139.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Might add some more calcs later

Oh man, I'm really liking the looks of Spikes Jolteon. It's outclassed currently by Raikou and MegaMan, but a fast offensive Spiker is something I've been wanting for a while, especially one with Volt Switch. Not much else to say, just a nice and flavor-friendly addition that would fill an empty niche.

As for the other Eeveelution, a junior Xerneas is not something I want to see. Pixilate Hyper Voice hits hard enough without having a way to double its power in one turn, not to mention outspeeding everything and becoming practically impervious to special attacks. Not my favorite.

My distaste for Fairies aside, Donphan + Ground/Fairy seems a nice way to finally drag the elephant out of obscurity (even if Phanphy would be a better fit for a Fairy :P). Physical Fairies are rare, and Fairy/Ground is a fantastic STAB combo. Some of the calcs shown above are pretty nice. A good candidate.

Unburden Infernape is... I don't really get the point of it? I mean, I can see the bonuses, but just, what does Infernape gain from it, specifically, as opposed to most other mons? It could use the speed thanks to getting creeped out of the golden tier in ORAS, but despite its high BP STABs, without an item it's just too weak to do much. Blazing speed doesn't mean much when it gets walled by a ton of stuff. And not that I'm complaining, but what's with the huge amount of nomes Nape seems to get?

Yay! Swanna won!

Anyway, I'm a bit late so I'll only post about Jolteon for the moment. Cool slate, btw! Keep up the good work! Ü

Jolteon + Spikes: being a fast Spikes setter, this nomination reminds me a bit of Klefki, but with more offensive presence, a momentum-grabbing tool in Volt Switch and less bulk. Speaking of Jolteon's bulk, to remedy this problem, Focus Sash should be the only item worth using imo so that it can lay at least 2 layers of Spikes (unless it's hit by priority) and so that it can beat common leads like TankChomp and faster mons like Gyarados at +1, Scarf Lando-T, M-Sceptile and others. The only reason I'd use it over Klefki would be Volt Switch and decent Ice-type coverage since Klefki has priority Spikes and Thunder Wave, a way to alleviate its Ground-type weakness via Magnet Rise (Jolteon also has access to Magnet Rise, but it isn't priority and Jolteon is hit hard by most other moves be it from Garchomp, Lando-T or many others, unlike Klefki) and Foul Play to punish physical setup sweepers like M-Scizor (which Jolteon can't dream to harm, even with LO). Oh and one more thing: Patolegend!, your Jolteon calcs made me think what you were trying to show because firstly, M-Sab's main spread is 252 HP / 112 Def / 144 SpD with a Careful nature, which leads to this calc (and I wouldn't personally put either Magnet or even Thunderbolt on Spikes Jolteon):

252 SpA Magnet Jolteon Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 144+ SpD Mega Sableye: 112-133 (36.8 - 43.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

And secondly, despite being a Magic Bouncer, M-Diancie isn't suppposed to directly switch into neutral hits, even coming from Jolteon, due to its deceivingly low bulk. In overall, I think Spikes Jolteon is quite an interesting buff to say the least, but it'd be a lot better with a bit more firepower (like Raikou or MegaMan), bulk and extra moveslots (and in case you're still wondering which move I'd put instead of Thunderbolt, it'd probably be Toxic to cripple obvious switch-ins like Hippowdon, Mamoswine, M-Swampert (RestTalk variants won't care though), Quagsire, Gastrodon, Seismitoad and others, and Trace mons like MegaZam and Porygon2).

I'll comment on the other nominations later this week.

Here's a volt turn core using spikes jolteon:

So this core is a volt turn core with jolteon as a spikes setter, landorus-t as a SR setter, and mega beedrill as a cleaner. The Idea behind this core is to set up hazards for mega bee to clean late game. Other teammates for this core include a bisharp or weavile check so keldeo and cobalion fit here but keldeo is a better pick since it helps with bulky grounds. The sets below have standard ev spreads bar jolteon who's spread is complicated but serves an important purpose. That jolteon spread is guaranteed to avoid the OHKO from +2 sd talonflame even after rocks letting you check it in a pinch and it outspeeds said talonflame even 252 jolly ones.

+2 252 Atk Sharp Beak Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 196 Def Jolteon: 198-233 (73 - 85.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Beedrill @ Beedrillite
Ability: Swarm
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Protect
- U-turn
- Poison Jab
- Knock Off / Drill Run

Jolteon @ Life Orb
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 196 Def / 88 SpA / 224 Spe
Timid Nature
- Spikes
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Landorus-Therian @ Soft Sand
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock

So I like Spikes Jolteon (I even suggested it a while ago myself, like in December,) but as I think about it, I must wonder... what does Jolteon offer that Accelgor doesn't? Accelgor has spikes, it has speed (15 more to be exact) and can also U-Turn out. It even has utility like Knock Off and a restoration option in Giga Drain if you want to preserve it.

Even I know how common Accelgor is not. It isn't even making E rank. It has 10 less SpAtk than Joleton so it isn't exactly entirely without an offensive presence. My question, I suppose: How does Jolteon succeed where Accelgor would otherwise fail?

I know Electric is a bit better offensively and I guess defensively (since it only has one weakness and can't be paralyzed) than bug, and U-Turn from Accelor will do far less than Jolt's VoltTurn but still.

Have mercy! I'm sorry if this is off topic and mind numbingly stupid. I'm just curious about this.

So I like Spikes Jolteon (I even suggested it a while ago myself, like in December,) but as I think about it, I must wonder... what does Jolteon offer that Accelgor doesn't? Accelgor has spikes, it has speed (15 more to be exact) and can also U-Turn out. It even has utility like Knock Off and a restoration option in Giga Drain if you want to preserve it.

Even I know how common Accelgor is not. It isn't even making E rank. It has 10 less SpAtk than Joleton so it isn't exactly entirely without an offensive presence. My question, I suppose: How does Jolteon succeed where Accelgor would otherwise fail?

I know Electric is a bit better offensively and I guess defensively (since it only has one weakness and can't be paralyzed) than bug, and U-Turn from Accelor will do far less than Jolt's VoltTurn but still.

Have mercy! I'm sorry if this is off topic and mind numbingly stupid. I'm just curious about this.
No, its a valid question once ya think bout it.

Jolteon benefits mainly from the typing. Accelgor has some cool moves..........but its main form of attack is Bug STAB, which is horrible offensively outside of carrying a STAB U-Turn...working off its much weaker attack stat. Bug is also horrid defensively and overall the stat spread favors Jolteon in every category minus Speed and HP, where the HP doesnt truly help with lower Def and Sp Def. Jolteon, as shown in an earlier post), can actually abuse its typing somewhat, and threaten Talonflame cause it can live a Brave Bird. Ya Accelgor also gets Focus Blast so it does get real coverage vs Jolt relying on a Hidden Power and Shadow Ball.

Truthfully it just boils down to Jolten lucking out with a better typing and being able to use it slightly (dont know if id use the word decently or not). Accelgor is a cool guy, but he'd just miss the mark.

No, its a valid question once ya think bout it.

Jolteon benefits mainly from the typing. Accelgor has some cool moves..........but its main form of attack is Bug STAB, which is horrible offensively outside of carrying a STAB U-Turn...working off its much weaker attack stat. Bug is also horrid defensively and overall the stat spread favors Jolteon in every category minus Speed and HP, where the HP doesnt truly help with lower Def and Sp Def. Jolteon, as shown in an earlier post), can actually abuse its typing somewhat, and threaten Talonflame cause it can live a Brave Bird. Ya Accelgor also gets Focus Blast so it does get real coverage vs Jolt relying on a Hidden Power and Shadow Ball.

Truthfully it just boils down to Jolten lucking out with a better typing and being able to use it slightly (dont know if id use the word decently or not). Accelgor is a cool guy, but he'd just miss the mark.
About jolteon being able to live a brave bird it needs 196 defense evs to actually avoid getting ko'd by a +2 sharp beak brave bird from SD talonflame after rocks.

Patolegend!

Fan of 1000 Arrow 'Slash
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Yay! Swanna won!

Anyway, I'm a bit late so I'll only post about Jolteon for the moment. Cool slate, btw! Keep up the good work! Ü

Jolteon + Spikes: being a fast Spikes setter, this nomination reminds me a bit of Klefki, but with more offensive presence, a momentum-grabbing tool in Volt Switch and less bulk. Speaking of Jolteon's bulk, to remedy this problem, Focus Sash should be the only item worth using imo so that it can lay at least 2 layers of Spikes (unless it's hit by priority) and so that it can beat common leads like TankChomp and faster mons like Gyarados at +1, Scarf Lando-T, M-Sceptile and others. The only reason I'd use it over Klefki would be Volt Switch and decent Ice-type coverage since Klefki has priority Spikes and Thunder Wave, a way to alleviate its Ground-type weakness via Magnet Rise (Jolteon also has access to Magnet Rise, but it isn't priority and Jolteon is hit hard by most other moves be it from Garchomp, Lando-T or many others, unlike Klefki) and Foul Play to punish physical setup sweepers like M-Scizor (which Jolteon can't dream to harm, even with LO). Oh and one more thing: Patolegend!, your Jolteon calcs made me think what you were trying to show because firstly, M-Sab's main spread is 252 HP / 112 Def / 144 SpD with a Careful nature, which leads to this calc (and I wouldn't personally put either Magnet or even Thunderbolt on Spikes Jolteon):

252 SpA Magnet Jolteon Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 144+ SpD Mega Sableye: 112-133 (36.8 - 43.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

And secondly, despite being a Magic Bouncer, M-Diancie isn't suppposed to directly switch into neutral hits, even coming from Jolteon, due to its deceivingly low bulk. In overall, I think Spikes Jolteon is quite an interesting buff to say the least, but it'd be a lot better with a bit more firepower (like Raikou or MegaMan), bulk and extra moveslots (and in case you're still wondering which move I'd put instead of Thunderbolt, it'd probably be Toxic to cripple obvious switch-ins like Hippowdon, Mamoswine, M-Swampert (RestTalk variants won't care though), Quagsire, Gastrodon, Seismitoad and others, and Trace mons like MegaZam and Porygon2).

I'll comment on the other nominations later this week.
Ah, I didn't realise that was the main set, the calc obviously hasn't updated to reflect that. Yeah, that does put a downer on its viability for me - it would have to run LO Thunder to 2HK0, and it could only really do that on a rain team. In that case I agree with you, Sash would be the way to go, and more as a suicide lead.

The point about Diancie was more that it couldn't switch in even if it wanted to - not that it should do.

Like you say, Toxic would be a nasty surprise for most 'mons looking to switch in - Ferro's another that wouldn't care, but it doesn't care about anything Jolt wants to do unless its running HP fire.

Pent

dumb broad
Okay, the problem with Geomancy Sylveon is that I know what it can do. I used it on a different server before and it was absolutely BROKEN. WHOEVER LET THIS ONE PASS THROUGH... My god, it's like we want OP Mons. Theorymon is about making weak mons good, and you made an already good mon even more insane. Okay, rant Over.

Jolteon is pretty much the new Azelf, but even faster and having a better typing that isn't too weak. It can still provide good pressure on the opponent, but can guarantee a good lead for HO. You can always have at least 1 layer of Spikes, if not two with Focus Sash. I actually like this idea, kudos to you, good creator.

Infernape will become the new Ambipom, just better as a crazy sweeper. Okay, let's say you have Sr Sash Infernape, you run Fake Out, and SR. Once that Sash is gone, your speed is through the roof. Also, Infernape gets a crazy movepool, great stats for a mixed set, and has almost TOO much Utility. Like it, but won't get my vote due to it becoming too OP.

It seems this slate is rather heavy on set-up, don't you think? I like the thought of Stab Play Rough Donphan, maybe offensive Donphan will make a come back. Scarf, LO, or Band, all viable options on this, since it gets powerful attacks like Earthquake, Stone Edge(?), Play Rough, Ice Shard, and more. But, it might not change much, donno yet.

Just my cup of tea, but I don't like this slate too much, just seems a bit broken.

So at first glance, the only sensible theorymon to be seems to be Geomancy Sylveon.

On Jolteon: IMO random frail Spikers tend to be bad.
I recall when Greninja was around, I didn't see as many people running Spikes and Taunt as much as full-attacker Greninja. In terms of viability, the Spikes set was a flop compared to its 4-attacks set.
Now look at Jolteon, who is even worse a Spiker than Greninja was. It doesn't get Taunt, Magic Coat, or really any support moves at all that allow it to perform as a lead.
Nor can it set Spikes on forced switches as effectively as Greninja could because its offensive movepool...also sucks.

As another example, we also have Diggersby, who also learns Spikes. How many OU players that use Diggersby run Spikes on it?
Perhaps one or two.
You don't many people running Spikes Diggersby, simply because it's not good.

So unless anybody changes my mind, Jolteon = no.

On Infernape: Now I like the set that InfernapeTropius11 posted earlier, but sadly this doesn't impress me that much either as a sweeper.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the main issue with all-out-attacking Infernape isn't its speed (which Unburden deigns to fix), but its power. 104 in either stat doesn't really cut it in being able to OHKO stuff and sweep.
And being unable to OHKO some common mons isn't good. Uninvested Keldeo can easily survive a Grass Knot and kill it with Scald. Full-health Charizards can survive any attack and kill it back.
And Infernape's Fighting/Fire STAB is unfortuately checked by several of the most common OU mons: Azumarill, Mega Altaria, Slowbro, Latios and Latias, etc.

Even defensive Landorus-T can stop Unburden Infernape's sweep short.

Long story short, Infernape doesn't really cut it for me as a great sweeper or cleaner. I think Speed Boost Sharpedo's even better than this :(
Though an Unburden Focus Sash lead is cool.

On Donphan: Doesn't seem that bad.

I really think people are sleeping on Jolteon tbh. Spikes + Dual Screens is pretty cool as a lead, and an electric immunity + volt switch makes for an interesting pivot. Granted, it's pretty situational, but it's not without merit. Perhaps if it was in a different slate there would be more love, but kinda hard to when you have that monster Sylveon running around

I really think people are sleeping on Jolteon tbh. Spikes + Dual Screens is pretty cool as a lead, and an electric immunity + volt switch makes for an interesting pivot. Granted, it's pretty situational, but it's not without merit. Perhaps if it was in a different slate there would be more love, but kinda hard to when you have that monster Sylveon running around
I might argue that the monster Sylveon running around makes it more likely to be voted in, cause as far as I've seen many people don't want that kind of monster.

If they're sleeping on anything, I'd say they haven't explored much of what could make infirnape really good: his boosting sets. having both nasty plot and sd could make him a pretty good setup sweeper with a focus sash. he also has excelent coverage, and his own priority on both sides with vacuum wave/mp. if you played him correctly, he could sweep reasonably well.

The thing is that Klefki pulls off this trick way better due to having priority on those moves. Yeah sure, the Volt Absorb + Volt Switch combination makes it an interesting pivot, but I'd rather take another mon which isn't frail and has an overall better typing. Also, if Jolteon were to use this strategy, it would either lose out on laying more than one layer of Spikes due to its frailness (Focus Sash) or the durability of its screens (Light Clay). In all cases, the only thing that could make Jolteon somewhat viable is the combination of Volt Absorb + Volt Switch and nothing else since the Spikes + Screens strategy (and also Spikes and Screens individually) is better done by Klefki in overall.

Oh, and while I'm at it, Jolteon can't get Reflect. Yeah, I don't think Jolteon is that great anymore. I thought it was kinda good at first, but every time I think of Spikes Jolteon, I always find more flaws about it.

Yeah I'm coming to agree that now the hype has died down and people are comparing Jolteon to other spikers, it does seem pretty meh.
There are almost no spikes setters or offensive leads that I wouldn't use over Jolteon. Froslass is a better "offensive" lead between Taunt, Destiny Bond and Ice Beam. Klefki, Skarmory, Forretress, Ferrothorn, and Chesnaught are all undeniably more reliable spikers, and Klefki shines on offense too. Even more niche options that have shown their faces recently like Roserade and Cacturne give Jolteon competition, given how specific Jolteon's niche is in Volt Switch + Volt Absorb. It was mentioned that Jolteon has an advantage over Accelgor, but honestly Accelgor's access to Final Gambit and Taunt probably make it better as a lead too.

But not all hope is lost. I reckon Jolteon will have a niche not as a lead, but as a pivoting offensive spiker. Between Spikes and Baton Pass / Volt Switch with its good speed, Jolteon would fit in on Volt-Turn offensive teams that rely on forcing switches and racking up chip damage for a cleaner. Slow Volt-Turn would bring in Jolteon safely vs something that can't KO Jolteon, or can't risk taking a hit, then Jolteon sets a layer of Spikes, and Baton Pass / Volt Switches out. So rather than leading and getting up as many hazards before dying, Jolteon would be constantly pressuring hazard removers by gradually setting them up and refreshing them. That alongside a Bisharp would put a lot of stress on hazard removers. Its a really slim niche, and you'd have to be a good player to make it work effectively, but I reckon in the right hands it could be fairly deadly.

Also just wanna talk once more about Infernape.
I think the impact of the power drop is being exaggerated a fair bit. Unburden Infernape regarding most sets is not a sweeper, it is a cleaner. Sweepers like DD users in Mega Charizard X or Mega Altaria, are supposed to have their specific checks removed before setting up and rolling through entire teams. Cleaners to me are bit more loose, in that they generally have a lot more checks, but they and their team mates wear down the entirety of the opposition to a point where even its checks aren't healthy enough to switch in.
Mega Manectric is a fantastic cleaner, as it can use it great pivoting tools in Intimidate and a strong, fast Volt Switch to come in plenty of times throughout the match and rack up damage, until you are at the point where everything is in KO range of T-Bolt, Flame Thrower, and HP Ice.
Infernape has the potential to work very similarly. Take a Fake Out + Normal Gem set, with U-Turn, Close Combat, and Flare Blitz / Fire Punch / Acrobatics.
Your pretty much guaranteed to be the fastest thing in the game from the get go thanks to Fake Out + Normal Gem, from there you can continually abuse Fake Turn to rack up plenty of chip damage alongside your team mates, until you get to a point where you can KO everything with you STAB options. Using more Volt-Turn support and your great typing to come in lots, whether it be via other pivots, or just switching in on things like Weavile, Ferro, Bisharp Mega Doom, etc.

Then of course you have all of Infernape's other sets. Sub SD / NP + Liechi / Petaya, when combined with the high base power of Nape's moves, actually reaches insane power levels, and with the addition of insane speed, could easily be a sweeper rather than a cleaner.
I actually really like the sound of the Power Herb Solar Beam lure set too, as I've found through experience that Slowbro and its Mega is easily one of the most common switch ins to Nape;
252+ SpA Infernape Solar Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Slowbro: 296-350 (75.1 - 88.8%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Infernape Solar Beam vs. 248 HP / 16 SpD Starmie: 276-326 (85.4 - 100.9%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
Also when you factor that Mega Slowbro is going to be switching in on a Fire Blast or something, you can be pretty sure that that's a OHKO.
Being able to bait in and delete threats like Mega Slowbro makes Lure Infernape a great partner to sweepers like Mega Zard X. Especially when you consider that you still have the Monkey running around with high power moves and unbeatable speed, if you need something to clean in the case that you Zard sweep fails.

So can please stop underestimating Infernape's power? Because:
A. Most of sets will be cleaning, in which case it doesn't need epic power as the opponents should be heavily weakened by the time it comes in.
B. It has viable ways of boosting its power on either end of the spectrum to extreme levels.
C. The extremely high Base Power of its STABs in Flare Blitz / Fire Blast and Close Combat / Focus Blast actually give it respectable power. Even more power than Mega Manectric.
252 SpA Infernape Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mew: 154-183 (45.1 - 53.6%) -- 37.1% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Mega Manectric Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mew: 153-180 (44.8 - 52.7%) -- 22.7% chance to 2HKO

To add to this hype-train (or lack thereof), people have seriously been underselling Donphan. Not only is that STAB combination INSANE, but the number of major threats that it tackles would instantly make it A ranked. Having favorable matchups against multiple S ranks and the vast majority of everything below (once it has a Rock Polish set up) makes it such an amazing contribution to the metagame. I would kill to see this voted in.

Speaking of Donphan, oh yeah, you know what time it is... it's CALC TIME!!! (using the RP set with an Expert Belt instead of LO to keep Sturdy intact and because Ground/Fairy STABs cover pretty much anything bar Skarmory, Gengar, Talonflame, MegaZard-Y, Magnet Rise Klefki, Bronzong and Rotom-H, and most of them get bopped by SE coverage options)

Warning: another shipload of calcs!

252 Atk Expert Belt Donphan Play Rough vs. 248 HP / 136+ Def Mega Altaria: 247-295 (69.9 - 83.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Expert Belt Donphan Play Rough vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Altaria: 305-362 (104.8 - 124.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Expert Belt Donphan Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard X: 341-403 (94.9 - 112.2%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO (guaranteed OHKO after SR)
252 Atk Expert Belt Donphan Earthquake vs. 144 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard X: 341-403 (102.4 - 121%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Only LO variants can get past MG+CM Clefable (unless it uses Gunk Shot as its coverage move), but they're still helpless against Unaware ones

252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Metagross Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Donphan: 162-192 (50.4 - 59.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Expert Belt Donphan Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Metagross: 262-310 (87 - 102.9%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO (56.3% chance to OHKO after SR)
252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Donphan: 204-242 (63.5 - 75.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Donphan: 134-162 (41.7 - 50.4%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO
252 Atk Donphan Earthquake vs. 172 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 186-220 (48.4 - 57.2%) -- 93.4% chance to 2HKO (guaranteed 2HKO after SR)
252 Atk Donphan Earthquake vs. 240 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 186-220 (46.3 - 54.8%) -- 64.5% chance to 2HKO
(depending on Azu's set, Donphan will either win or lose against it)

252 Atk Life Orb Bisharp Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Donphan: 70-83 (21.8 - 25.8%) -- 3.9% chance to 4HKO
252 Atk Expert Belt Donphan Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Bisharp: 370-439 (136.5 - 161.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Expert Belt Donphan Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Diancie: 346-406 (143.5 - 168.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Expert Belt Donphan Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Excadrill: 557-658 (154.2 - 182.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
(if Air Balloon, then...)
252+ Atk Excadrill Iron Head vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Donphan: 254-300 (79.1 - 93.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Expert Belt Donphan Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Excadrill: 562-662 (132.5 - 156.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
(Donphan will get hit hard by Air Balloon Exca, but it still wins against it)

252 Atk Expert Belt Donphan Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 164+ Def Garchomp: 269-319 (64 - 75.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Expert Belt Donphan Play Rough vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Garchomp: 346-410 (96.9 - 114.8%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO (guaranteed OHKO after SR)

252 Atk Expert Belt Donphan Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Gengar: 365-430 (140.9 - 166%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Expert Belt Donphan Play Rough vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Gyarados: 310-367 (93.6 - 110.8%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO (guaranteed OHKO after SR)
(watch out for Mold Breaker going through Sturdy for the OHKO)

252 Atk Expert Belt Donphan Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 706-835 (183.3 - 216.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO (well, duh!)
(if Air Balloon, then...)
252 Atk Donphan Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Heatran: 95-112 (29.4 - 34.6%) -- 7.5% chance to 3HKO
252 SpA Heatran Flash Cannon vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Donphan: 396-468 (123.3 - 145.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
(Sturdy will keep it alive, but it'll be easily revenve killed afterwards)

252 Atk Expert Belt Donphan Play Rough vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Keldeo: 367-432 (113.6 - 133.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
(if Scarf, then...)
252 SpA Keldeo Scald vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Donphan: 392-464 (122.1 - 144.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
(again, Sturdy will keep it alive, but it'll be easily revenve killed afterwards)

-1 252 Atk Expert Belt Donphan Ice Shard vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Landorus-T: 106-130 (27.7 - 34%) -- 93.7% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery (0.2% chance to 3HKO after SR and Leftovers)
-1 252 Atk Donphan Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Landorus-T: 73-87 (19.1 - 22.7%) -- possible 6HKO after Leftovers recovery (possible 5HKO after SR and Leftovers)
-1 252 Atk Expert Belt Donphan Ice Shard vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Landorus-T: 144-173 (45.1 - 54.2%) -- 36.7% chance to 2HKO (guaranteed 2HKO after SR)
-1 252 Atk Donphan Play Rough vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Landorus-T: 102-120 (31.9 - 37.6%) -- 89.4% chance to 3HKO (guaranteed 3HKO after SR)
0 Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Donphan: 127-150 (39.5 - 46.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Donphan: 151-178 (47 - 55.4%) -- 72.7% chance to 2HKO
(avoid Lando-T at all cost!)

252 Atk Expert Belt Donphan Play Rough vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Lopunny: 348-413 (128.4 - 152.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Expert Belt Donphan Play Rough vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Latios: 403-475 (134.7 - 158.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
(if Scarf, then...)
252 SpA Latios Psyshock vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Donphan: 112-133 (34.8 - 41.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
(no problem here, but be careful of getting Tricked)

252 Atk Donphan Earthquake vs. 96 HP / 0 Def Manaphy: 154-183 (42.1 - 50.1%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO (91% chance to 2HKO after SR)
252 SpA Manaphy Scald vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Donphan: 330-390 (102.8 - 121.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
(again, Sturdy will keep it alive, but it'll be easily revenve killed afterwards)

252 Atk Expert Belt Donphan Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 112 Def Mega Sableye: 252-298 (82.8 - 98%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock (if, somewhat, SR weren't bounced by M-Sab)

252 Atk Expert Belt Donphan Fire Fang vs. 248 HP / 44+ Def Mega Scizor: 216-254 (62.9 - 74%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (I personally wouldn't use Fire Fang (or even Ice Shard) on Donphan, but without it, Donphan is complete setup fodder against M-Scizor)

252 Atk Sharp Beak Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Donphan: 145-172 (45.1 - 53.5%) -- 38.7% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Donphan: 201-237 (62.6 - 73.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Expert Belt Donphan Rock Slide vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Talonflame: 490-581 (164.9 - 195.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Expert Belt Donphan Rock Slide vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Talonflame: 490-581 (136.4 - 161.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Expert Belt Donphan Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Thundurus: 331-391 (110.7 - 130.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Donphan Play Rough vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Thundurus: 186-220 (62.2 - 73.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (68.8% chance to OHKO after SR and one LO recoil)
252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Donphan: 250-296 (77.8 - 92.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
(at least, Donphan is immune to Thunder Wave)

252 Atk Expert Belt Donphan Stone Edge vs. 96 HP / 0 Def Tornadus-T: 298-353 (92.2 - 109.2%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Donphan Play Rough vs. 96 HP / 0 Def Tornadus-T: 168-198 (52 - 61.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Expert Belt Donphan Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tornadus-T: 298-353 (99.6 - 118%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Donphan Play Rough vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tornadus-T: 168-198 (56.1 - 66.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
160 SpA Tornadus-T Hurricane vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Donphan: 225-265 (70 - 82.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
180 SpA Life Orb Tornadus-T Hurricane vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Donphan: 298-351 (92.8 - 109.3%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO (87.5% chance to OHKO after SR (in case Stone Edge misses or you don't have it at all))
(watch out for SR as Donphan may lose against Tornadus-T with the right conditions)
252 SpA Mega Alakazam Psychic vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Donphan: 279-328 (86.9 - 102.1%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO (56.3% chance to OHKO after SR)
252 Atk Expert Belt Donphan Knock Off vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Alakazam: 228-269 (90.8 - 107.1%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO (guaranteed OHKO after SR)
252 Atk Donphan Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Alakazam: 219-258 (87.2 - 102.7%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO (93.8% chance to OHKO after SR)
(Knock Off coverage isn't mandatory here, but appreciated, and, again, Sturdy will keep it alive, but it'll be easily revenve killed afterwards)

252 Atk Expert Belt Donphan Rock Slide vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Charizard Y: 456-538 (153.5 - 181.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Expert Belt Donphan Fire Fang vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 216-259 (61.3 - 73.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Donphan Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 103-123 (29.2 - 34.9%) -- 99.9% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 Atk Ferrothorn Gyro Ball (150 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Donphan: 260-308 (80.9 - 95.9%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
0 Atk Ferrothorn Power Whip vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Donphan: 210-248 (65.4 - 77.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
(Ferrothorn needs major prior damage before it can be dealt with by Donphan)

252 Atk Expert Belt Donphan Gunk Shot vs. 0 HP / 24 Def Mega Gardevoir: 408-480 (147.2 - 173.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO (again, I personally wouldn't use Gunk Shot on Donphan, but it works against Fairy-types I guess)
252 Atk Donphan Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 24 Def Mega Gardevoir: 211-250 (76.1 - 90.2%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
232 SpA Pixilate Mega Gardevoir Hyper Voice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Donphan: 342-403 (106.5 - 125.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
(again, Sturdy will keep it alive, but it'll be easily revenge killed afterwards)

252 Atk Expert Belt Donphan Ice Shard vs. 252 HP / 56+ Def Gliscor: 144-173 (40.6 - 48.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Poison Heal
252 Atk Expert Belt Donphan Ice Shard vs. 244 HP / 0 Def Gliscor: 163-197 (46.3 - 55.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Poison Heal (68% chance to 2HKO after SR and Poison Heal)
(if Donphan doesn't carry Ice Shard, it'll be eaten alive by Gliscor)

Donphan can't touch Hippowdon (it can't even 2HKO with banded Seed Bomb after SR) unless it carries Toxic

252 Atk Expert Belt Donphan Play Rough vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Kyurem-B: 370-439 (94.6 - 112.2%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO (guaranteed OHKO after SR or one LO recoil)
(if Scarf, then...)
32 SpA Teravolt Kyurem-B Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Donphan: 354-416 (110.2 - 129.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO ---> dead Dumbo X(
(watch out for Scarf variants as they outspeed and OHKO RP Donphan due to Teravolt going through Sturdy)

252 Atk Expert Belt Donphan Play Rough vs. 72 HP / 0 Def Latias: 367-432 (115 - 135.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Expert Belt Donphan Play Rough vs. 248 HP / 84+ Def Mega Latias: 245-288 (67.4 - 79.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

-1 252 Atk Expert Belt Donphan Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Manectric: 298-353 (106 - 125.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Donphan Play Rough vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Rotom-W: 96-114 (31.6 - 37.6%) -- 0.2% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery (89.7% chance to 3HKO after SR and Leftovers)
0 SpA Rotom-W Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Donphan: 372-440 (115.8 - 137%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
(yeah, Rotom-W is a bitch)

252 Atk Expert Belt Donphan Fire Fang vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Skarmory: 122-144 (36.6 - 43.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery (helpless Donphan is helpless)
252 Atk Expert Belt Donphan Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Skarmory: 276-326 (82.8 - 97.8%) -- 25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock (before setting up RP when Skarmory Roosts)
(apart from the calc above, )

252 Atk Expert Belt Donphan Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 232+ Def Slowbro: 166-197 (42.1 - 50%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Expert Belt Donphan Knock Off vs. 252 HP / 232+ Def Slowbro: 110-132 (27.9 - 33.5%) -- 0.1% chance to 3HKO
252 Atk Donphan Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 232+ Def Slowbro: 106-126 (26.9 - 31.9%) -- 40.2% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Slowbro Scald vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Donphan: 260-308 (80.9 - 95.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
(again, Donphan can't do shit to Slowbro)

252 Atk Expert Belt Donphan Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Starmie: 276-326 (85.4 - 100.9%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO (87.5% chance to OHKO after SR)
252 Atk Donphan Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Starmie: 178-210 (55.1 - 65%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Expert Belt Donphan Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Starmie: 276-326 (105.3 - 124.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Donphan Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Starmie: 178-210 (67.9 - 80.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 SpA Starmie Scald vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Donphan: 260-308 (80.9 - 95.9%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Life Orb Analytic Starmie Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Donphan: 419-494 (130.5 - 153.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
(if Donphan doesn't carry Knock Off, Sturdy will still keep it alive, but it'll be easily revenge killed afterwards)

252 Atk Expert Belt Donphan Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Tyranitar: 252-298 (62.5 - 73.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Expert Belt Donphan Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Tyranitar: 341-403 (100 - 118.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
0 SpA Tyranitar Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Donphan: 188-222 (58.5 - 69.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (from the support variant)

M-Venu eats Donphans for breakfast

252 Atk Life Orb Weavile Ice Shard vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Donphan: 140-166 (43.6 - 51.7%) -- 9.8% chance to 2HKO
252 Atk Expert Belt Donphan Play Rough vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Weavile: 470-557 (167.2 - 198.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Aerodactyl Aqua Tail vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Donphan: 230-272 (71.6 - 84.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Expert Belt Donphan Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Aerodactyl: 286-336 (95 - 111.6%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO (guaranteed OHKO after SR)
252 Atk Donphan Play Rough vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Aerodactyl: 160-189 (53.1 - 62.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
(unless M-Aero doesn't have Aqua Tail, Donphan needs Stone Edge to beat it)

252 Atk Donphan Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Alakazam: 288-339 (114.7 - 135%) -- guaranteed OHKO
(if Sash, then...)
252 SpA Alakazam Psychic vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Donphan: 229-270 (71.3 - 84.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
(watch out for Sash and you'll be alright)

Donphan gets its health drained away by Celebi's Giga Drain

-1 252 Atk Expert Belt Donphan Stone Edge vs. 88 HP / 4 Def Gyarados: 202-238 (57.2 - 67.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
-1 252 Atk Donphan Play Rough vs. 88 HP / 4 Def Gyarados: 112-133 (31.7 - 37.6%) -- 0.2% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery (guaranteed 3HKO after SR)
252 Atk Expert Belt Donphan Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Gyarados: 300-355 (90.6 - 107.2%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO (guaranteed OHKO after SR)
252 Atk Donphan Play Rough vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Gyarados: 169-199 (51 - 60.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
192+ Atk Gyarados Waterfall vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Donphan: 230-272 (71.6 - 84.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Gyarados Waterfall vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Donphan: 236-282 (73.5 - 87.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
(Donphan needs Stone Edge to beat Gyarados)

252 Atk Expert Belt Donphan Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Jirachi: 370-439 (91.5 - 108.6%) -- 50% chance to OHKO (87.5% chance to OHKO after SR)
252 Atk Expert Belt Donphan Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Jirachi: 413-490 (121.1 - 143.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
(if Scarf, then...)
252 Atk Jirachi Iron Head vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Donphan: 186-222 (57.9 - 69.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (prey to the Hax Gods you won't flinch!)

252 Atk Expert Belt Donphan Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Klefki: 403-475 (126.7 - 149.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
(if Magnet Rise, then...)
252 Atk Expert Belt Donphan Fire Fang vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Klefki: 175-206 (55 - 64.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Donphan Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Klefki: 75-89 (23.5 - 27.9%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery (plenty of time for Klefki to setup layers of Spikes)

252 Atk Expert Belt Donphan Earthquake vs. 168 HP / 0 Def Magnezone: 662-782 (204.9 - 242.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Expert Belt Donphan Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mew: 242-286 (59.9 - 70.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Expert Belt Donphan Knock Off vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mew: 163-192 (40.3 - 47.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Donphan Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mew: 154-183 (38.1 - 45.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
(seems like a clean 2HKO with Knock Off, but Mew often carries Will-O-Wisp that'll cripple Donphan before it kills, and without Knock Off, Donphan can't touch Mew)

252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Quick Attack vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Donphan: 84-99 (26.1 - 30.8%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Return vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Donphan: 211-249 (65.7 - 77.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Expert Belt Donphan Rock Slide vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Pinsir: 322-379 (118.8 - 139.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Donphan Play Rough vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Pinsir: 118-141 (43.5 - 52%) -- 14.1% chance to 2HKO (25% chance to OHKO after SR)
(you need either Rock Slide / Stone Edge or SR to cleanly deal (to a certain point) with M-Pinsir)

252 Atk Donphan Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Politoed: 196-232 (51.1 - 60.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 SpA Politoed Scald vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Donphan in Rain: 360-426 (112.1 - 132.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
(again, Sturdy will keep it alive, but it'll be easily revenge killed afterwards)

252 Atk Expert Belt Donphan Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Raikou: 468-554 (145.7 - 172.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Donphan Play Rough vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Serperior: 145-172 (50.1 - 59.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Serperior Leaf Storm vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Donphan: 577-681 (179.7 - 212.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Donphan only 4HKOes M-Bro at best and is easily KOed by Scald

252 Atk Expert Belt Donphan Rock Slide vs. 72 HP / 0 Def Volcarona: 528-624 (160.4 - 189.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Donphan Earthquake vs. 72 HP / 0 Def Volcarona: 220-259 (66.8 - 78.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (guaranteed OHKO after SR)
252 SpA Volcarona Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Donphan: 280-330 (87.2 - 102.8%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO (56.3% chance to OHKO after SR)
252 SpA Volcarona Giga Drain vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Donphan: 256-302 (79.7 - 94%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock (Giga Drain makes Earthquake a 3HKO at best)
(Donphan can only beat Volcarona with a Rock-type coverage move)

Alright, so that's all the mons from S to A- and think those calcs show us that Donphan can indeed take out a great number of threats with the appropriate STAB / coverage option after a single Rock Polish without being a broken threat itself, which will surely make a fantastic addition to the metagame! Speaking of broken threats, if I have the time, I'll try to dig up some calcs of the mons that can beat Geomancy Sylveon later this week.

Btw, here's the set I was using for Donphan:

Donphan @ Expert Belt
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rock Polish
- Earthquake
- Play Rough
- Knock Off / Stone Edge / Rock Slide / Fire Fang / Gunk Shot / Ice Shard

I know that's a lot of slashes for the last moveslot, but each move has its own utility (maybe except Ice Shard. God I hate that move on Donphan).

Last edited:
A thought I had for a possible Infernape set:

Infernape @ White Herb
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 252 Atk / 64 SpA / 192 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Close Combat
- Overheat
- Flare Blitz
- Gunk Shot/Thunderpunch/Grass Knot/whatever

Physically-based mixed set. Come in, nuke something with Overheat, then go to town outspeeding literally everything and hitting hard with high BP STABs. EVs to outspeed neutral natured base 100s before a boost, max attack and the rest into SpA. Working as a late-game cleaner, with the last slot for coverage. Walls still stop it, but revenging it is impossible without strong priority, and it can hit two consecutive Overheats for switchins.

I forgot something I wanted to say in my Great Wall of China calc post. Not that I forgot a calc in particular, but I didn't mention that Donphan has access to Endeavor. Coupled with Rock Polish and Sturdy, Endeavor could work pretty effectively and be a good answer to the majority of mons that Donphan has trouble with such as Clefable, Lando-T, Torn-T, Talonflame, MegaZard-Y, Ferrothorn, Gliscor, Hippowdon, Rotom-W, Skarmory, (Mega) Slowbro, M-Venu, Celebi, Mew, Volcarona and others (Gengar is still a huge pain in the neck to deal with, being immune to Endeavor). It'd work a bit like Scolipede with a natural Focus Sash and a setup move to take care of the lacklustre speed.

Do you think Endeavor could possibly work on Donphan? Maybe even with Ice Shard instead of Rock Polish (I personally don't like that option, but I'm still stating it)?

I forgot something I wanted to say in my Great Wall of China calc post. Not that I forgot a calc in particular, but I didn't mention that Donphan has access to Endeavor. Coupled with Rock Polish and Sturdy, Endeavor could work pretty effectively and be a good answer to the majority of mons that Donphan has trouble with such as Clefable, Lando-T, Torn-T, Talonflame, MegaZard-Y, Ferrothorn, Gliscor, Hippowdon, Rotom-W, Skarmory, (Mega) Slowbro, M-Venu, Celebi, Mew, Volcarona and others (Gengar is still a huge pain in the neck to deal with, being immune to Endeavor). It'd work a bit like Scolipede with a natural Focus Sash and a setup move to take care of the lacklustre speed.

Do you think Endeavor could possibly work on Donphan? Maybe even with Ice Shard instead of Rock Polish (I personally don't like that option, but I'm still stating it)?
No. If it was a viable option, we'd be using Donphan now.

No. If it was a viable option, we'd be using Donphan now.
That's not totally fair in the sense that you're not thinking ahead enough. When mons become viable more odd sets become viable in order to counter what the opponents expect from the mon. It's similar to how people run crazy shit like Whirlpool Perish Song Azumarill or even how TankChomp adapted with Endure as a move and it works decently because you're not expecting it (I'm not saying these sets are better than their normal viable set or even as good as them but they have their place). It's safe to assume if Donphan changed to Ground/Fairy he'd be popping up on more teams and as people got used to his sets I could see people running Endeavor as a surprise twist.

To counter your argument that "it'd be viable now", Ground/Fairy Donphan could probably threaten more things like Garchomp or Latios so that they'd want to switch into a counter in which this set would be more viable to set up.

That's not totally fair in the sense that you're not thinking ahead enough. When mons become viable more odd sets become viable in order to counter what the opponents expect from the mon. It's similar to how people run crazy shit like Whirlpool Perish Song Azumarill or even how TankChomp adapted with Endure as a move and it works decently because you're not expecting it (I'm not saying these sets are better than their normal viable set or even as good as them but they have their place). It's safe to assume if Donphan changed to Ground/Fairy he'd be popping up on more teams and as people got used to his sets I could see people running Endeavor as a surprise twist.

To counter your argument that "it'd be viable now", Ground/Fairy Donphan could probably threaten more things like Garchomp or Latios so that they'd want to switch into a counter in which this set would be more viable to set up.
You're entirely missing the point. I was responding to a question regarding the overall viability of Endeavor on Donphan; I stand 100% by what I said. If shitty gimmicks like Endeavor (lovingly known as FEAR) were overall viable, we would absolutely see a lot more of things like that in OU. Obviously, something the metagame isn't prepared for at all is going to see some degree of success. In the long run, however, the metagame will simply just adapt to the gimmick and push it back to obscurity.

Also, I wouldn't draw the comparison to TankChomp with Endure here. Garchomp can actually afford to run Endure because it:
A.) Has a free slot to use
B.) Endure doesn't further limit its moveslot (running Endeavor on Donphan requires Ice Shard, meaning you basically have only 2 moves and no coverage)
C.) Doesn't sink momentum like everything that runs a FEAR set

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)