OU Underdogs

Approved by The Immortal
Hi guys I have an interesting metagame to show to you, OU underdogs. This metagame is basically OU but with one big exception: NO POKEMON IN S OR A RANK CAN BE USED. Ridding OU of these pokemon makes OU a very different metagame as you can no longer use pokemon such as aegislash, mawile, and the ever so annoying deosharp offense. Tagging Nog and alexwolf so they can help me update the banlist. This will be a very community driven metagame so feel free to toss in your two cents!

Current Banlist:

Charizard (Mega-X)

KeldeoLatios
Azumarill
Bisharp
Charizard (Mega-Y)
Clefable
Garchomp
Gardevoir (Mega)
Gengar
Heatran
Landorus-T
Landorus
Latias
Mew
Pinsir (Mega)
Scizor (Mega)
Talonflame
Thundurus
Venusaur (Mega)
Dragonite
Excadrill
Ferrothorn
Gliscor
Gyarados (Mega)
Heracross (Mega)

Latias (mega)
Mamoswine
Manectric (Mega)
Medicham (Mega)
Rotom-W
Slowbro and Slowbro (Mega)
Terrakion
Aerodactyl (Mega)
Diggersby
Jirachi
Kyurem-B
Magnezone
Manaphy
Politoed
Tyranitar

Last edited:

MAMP

MAMP!
Ok, so the issue with this is that the banlist is ultimately completely subjective, and will change very regularly, making this very hard to implement and leading to a very unstable metagame. Ultimately, I just can't see an actual metagame developing, and thus I don't really see much of a future for this meta :/

Stall seems pretty potent in this meta, with a lot of strong defensive mons residing in B rank; Gliscor, Quagsire, Zapdos, Slowbro, Amoonguss, Chesnaught, Mew, Suicune, Sylveon, Blissey being the most notable. Losing staples like Skarm, Chans, Venu, and Zard-X is a shame, but mons like Mawile, Gengar, and Kyu-B which normally pose a huge threat to stall are absent.

How exactly does the whole deal with Garchomp work? Can you use Garchomp only if it is holding the Garchompite, or is the whole thing banned?

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I think it sounds pretty fun to be honest. OU without a lot of the things that make it the meta that it is should make it into a fairly drastically different metagame.

It also makes sense that a lot of good defensive Pokemon are lower in rankings; though they might be very effective Pokemon in the metagame, they're lower impact than huge offensive powerhouses and defensive behemoths such as Mega Venusaur that wall much of the metagame.

Also, because Garchomp itself is banned, you can't use Mega Garchomp, even though it's at a lower ranking than its regular forme. There's just no way to make that happen.

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
All I'll say is this : If Mega-Gardevoir and Mega-Medicham don't end up in A- soon, they will pretty much rule this OM, alongside Rain Offense which lost nothing besides its Rain Dance Deo-S lead.

MAMP

MAMP!
I'm not doubting that it would be fun, the issue is that the meta would be constantly changing, because the viability rankings are updated so frequently. This would make it difficult to implement and the meta would be always shifting.

I'm not doubting that it would be fun, the issue is that the meta would be constantly changing, because the viability rankings are updated so frequently. This would make it difficult to implement and the meta would be always shifting.
It would be constantly changing however this is a good thing as it will never really get stale. As for the coding take this with a grain of salt as I know absolutely NOTHING about coding but as far as I know banning one or two pokemon and allowing one or two is not very complicated.

How about Underdog OU? Or some variant of such. Seems like this could be a lot of fun, with most of the big special nukes out of the way. Good luck killing Megaggron.

Mega garde seems like a very overwhelming threat since the base 100 speed tier is getting faster and faster the more i look at it. I think m garde will easily become this tiers go to special nuke

you forgot skarmory
How did I forget skarmory? I mean ill edit the the threatlist but one liners are to be frowned upon within this thread. So yeah threatlist now includes some skarmbliss, mega medicham, and mega gardevoir.
Edit: he meant skarm is banned.

Last edited:
Ok I hate how I have to double post again but I'd like to start the first discussion being: Rain Offense after losing Keldeo rain teams lost a core team member along with deoxys s. However they still gave the main asset in politoed and scizor who as we all know is really good in rain lessening it's fire weakness. Swift swimmer such as kabutops are not banned. So what do you guys think of rain I mean generally it's rain offense because rain stall is hard without permaweather.

The lack of deo-sharp, other top offensive threats and taunt wallbreakers really gives stall a huge advantage. Rain offense seems to be the most viable playstyle for offensive players. For this reason, I can see Slowking running rampant in this metagame. Another huge defensive threat that deserves a mention is Sableye. Using a physically bulky Sableye is the best way to stop Medicham from destroying your team. To be honest, most offensive Pokemon in this metagame seem to be easily dealt with by using just 4 team slots. Overall, this metagame seems really fun, I'll be sure to make a team soon!

Sent with my tablet.

Isn't this just UU + BL + Conkeldurr/Gliscor/Gyarados/Quagsire/Scizor/Zapdos?
The thing is that this allows for more team building versatility as you do not have to prepare for aegislash, landorus, etc. I think I speak for everyone when I say XY ou is incredibly stale and this metagame will be ever changing as you don't have to wait 3 months for drops or rises.

Valmanway

My jimmies remain unrustled
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I can see a sharp rise in Starmie usage, since Excadrill was the only viable Rapid Spinner in OU. Scizor will appreciate the absence of Heatran, Mega Charizard X and Y, Aegislash, Talonflame, Hippowdon, and Skarmory, and can really wreck stuff now. Chesnaught and Slowbro will obviously get some popularity as physical walls, while Blissey will be more or less just as popular as Chansey was, and Jellicent might get a nod as a special wall as well, since Bisharp, Aegislash, Gengar, Greninja, and Tyranitar will be gone. Zapdos will probably be the best offensive Defogger, and Togekiss will probably be the best defensive Defogger.

Would Durant be any viable. I mean sure it faces competition from Scizor but it has some niches over Scizor. First is that it hits harder than even Choice Band Scizor without needing to set up:

252 Atk Life Orb Hustle Durant Iron Head vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Shaymin: 226-266 (66.2 - 78%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Shaymin: 162-192 (47.5 - 56.3%) -- 82.4% chance to 2HKO

Surely Durant loses out on the priority Bullet Punch but Durant doesn't really need it with his great speed. Durant also has a way to hit the likes of Gyarados and Zapdos in the form of Rock Slide along with other coverage moves like Thunder Fang, Superpower and Crunch. With it's usual checks and counters like Talonflame, Skarmory, Aegislash, Thunderus and Ferrothorn gone I can see Durant being a threat. Also it has the added bonus of being able to break through the new walls like Amoongus, Chesnaught, Slowbro and being able to check stuff like Mega Gardevoir and Mega Medicham thanks to it's raw power and good speed tier.

The thing is that this allows for more team building versatility as you do not have to prepare for aegislash, landorus, etc. I think I speak for everyone when I say XY ou is incredibly stale and this metagame will be ever changing as you don't have to wait 3 months for drops or rises.
That doesn't really address my point though, it still is just UU + BL + 5 OU mons.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)