OU Warstory: Dodging Scarftran

While this is my first post here, I’ve been playing on Shoddy for quite a while. This is a warstory of one of my favorite battles. Even though it was short, it felt intense the whole way through because we were both playing mainly offensive teams and it came down to the wire.

My Team:

This is a team I made mostly for fun to try to use some Pokemon I like effectively. After a little work it turned out to be my second best team. ^^

It’s better for the suspense if I don’t reveal my opponent’s team. (At the time he had a rating of around 1550 by the way.)

Nicknames will be omitted. For this battle I was using the account name kenshin070m on Shoddy, but I’m going to change it to my account name here to avoid confusion.

Rules: Ladder Match, Sleep Clause, Freeze Clause, OHKO Clause, Evasion Clause, Species Clause, Strict Damage Clause

itachi owns 109 sent out Heatran.
Reik sent out Jolteon.

Great, a Heatran. Since it’s a lead, I’m pretty sure it’s a scarfed Heatran, which is a huge threat to my team. My Jolteon is max speed, but it can’t outspeed Timid Scarftran, and I’m not about to risk it being Modest. It may try to use this turn to set up Stealth Rock, but I really doubt he wants to let me put up a sub. I’ll just go to my 100% Heatran counter.

Reik switched in Milotic.
Heatran used Earth Power.
Milotic lost 26% of its health.
Milotic’s leftovers restored its health a little!
Milotic restored 6% of its health.

Heatran: 100% health but very disappointed
Milotic: 80% and still beautiful

Yep, no rocks. I wish it had been a fire attack, but the damage was still laughable. I could Surf, but I’ll probably have to switch next turn anyway, so I’d rather keep Milotic at full health to come in against Heatran again and again.

itachi owns 109 switched in Metagross.
Milotic used Recover.
Milotic restored 20% of its health.

Metagross: 100%
Milotic: Healthy and happy at 100%

Metagross? I wasn’t expecting that switch in. Maybe it’s a Choice Bander with Thunderpunch or something. Hmm. My Milotic is more offensive than most, and I chose to drop Hypnosis for more type coverage. It has Recover, Surf, Ice Beam, and Hidden Power Electric. Surf will only do 30%-40% on Metagross, so I’m going to Recover again and see what he wants to do.

Metagross used Explosion.
Milotic lost 100% of its health.
Reik's Milotic is no longer pretty.
itachi owns 109's Metagross fainted.

5-5 Even.

Oh.

Crap. >_<

I didn’t even think about that. This is very, VERY bad. Heatran is coming back, and I’m out of a sure-fire counter. Things are going to be difficult now.

I could go back to Jolteon to try to bait another Earth Power and grab a free switch to Salamence... But he knows that I know he’s scarfed and that’s a really obvious trick. I’ll lead with Salamence to bait an Ice attack or Intimidate anything else that might come in.

itachi owns 109 switched in Heatran.
Reik switched in Salamence.
Salamence’s intimidate cut Heatran's attack!

Yep. No reason not to go back to Heatran. I doubt he’ll try anything tricky here since he’s only seen half my team. The ice is coming, but it’s too early to go to Lucario.

Reik switched in Metagross.
Heatran used Dragon Pulse.
It's not very effective...
Metagross lost 20% of its health.

Heatran: 100% and starting to get annoyed
Metagross: 80% and very threatening

Okay, so it wasn’t ice. Metagross still took it like a champ though. I’ve got a free turn, so it’s time for Agiligross to do its thing.

itachi owns 109 switched in Gyarados.
Metagross used Agility.
Metagross's speed was sharply raised.

He switched to Gyarados to dodge the obvious Earthquake or resist a potential Meteor Mash. A good move, but I used Agility. Now I can just Thunderpunch to OHKO Gyarados and rampage through his team, outspeeding that annoying Scarftran and OHKOing it with Earthquake.

...Except I don’t know Thunderpunch. Damn it! My original Agiligross had it, but this one only has Meteor Mash, Earthquake, and Explosion. I can’t risk that thing getting a Dragon Dance, and he might just Earthquake anyway to prevent a Jolteon switch. There’s only one thing to do.

Metagross used Explosion.
Gyarados lost 100% of its health.
itachi owns 109's Gyarados became a fish stick.
Reik's Metagross fainted.

4-4 Even, but I still feel like I’m at a disadvantage.

So now we’ve both used our Metagrosses to explode on each other’s water-types. My backup plan to stop Scarftran is ruined. Now what? Give me a break and don’t lead with Heatran again, please.

Reik switched in Jolteon.

Jerk.

I’m going to switch in Salamence. It’s a risk and it’s obvious since he’s already seen her, but it’s my only hope. Please use Earth Power! *holds breath*

Salamence's intimidate cut Heatran's attack!
Heatran used Earth Power.
It doesn't affect Salamence...

*gasp of relief* Phew. Salamence got in safely.

Heatran: 100% and very annoyed
Salamence: 100% and grinning maniacally

Now, do you know why my Salamence is grinning? Because it’s a Specsmence. Why is that awesome right now? Because I’ve already seen two steel types on my opponent’s team. One of them exploded, and the other is forced to switch out right now. I really doubt that this guy has a third steel type on his team, which means that Specsmence gets to do what it does best: Turn one of the opponent’s Pokemon into a smoldering crater.

itachi owns 109 switched in Gengar.
Salamence used Draco Meteor.
Gengar lost 100% of its health.
itachi owns 109's Gengar got pwned.
Salamence's special attack was harshly lowered.

4-3 Reik

Salamence: 100% and -2 Special Attack

Ah, that’s always satisfying. I suppose he was hoping I had a physical Salamence and switched to Gengar to avoid an Earthquake.

Hello again, Heatran. How’re you today? Ready to rampage through my team yet?

At this point he knows I’m using Specsmence since I didn’t take Life Orb damage. So, he knows I have to switch. He still hasn’t seen my last two Pokemon, but so far he’s always chosen the safest attack to use. I’m expecting a Dragon Pulse, since that will OHKO Salamence if I stay in or 2HKO Jolteon. My Metagross is down, so he probably feels pretty safe with a dragon type attack. Little does he know that I still have another steel type Pokemon.

Reik switched in Lucario.
Lucario lost 30% of its health.

Heatran: 100% and pissed off
Lucario: 70% and ready to do a little dance

Yes! Luke gets a free Swords Dance! It’s time to really start doing some damage. I would have liked to save him until late game, but it can’t be helped.

itachi owns 109 switched in Garchomp.
Lucario used Swords Dance.
Lucario's attack was sharply raised.

Bah, Garchomp. No Lucario sweep for me. T_T At least I can put a giant dent in it if it’s a Yache Chomp and finish it off with Jolteon’s Hidden Power Ice. Goodbye, Lucario. But before you go, make that Garchomp regret ruining your sweep!

Lucario used Extremespeed.
Garchomp lost 66% of its health.
Lucario lost 10% of its health.
Garchomp used Earthquake.
It's super effective!
Lucario lost 60% of its health.
Reik's Lucario falls honorably.

3-3

Garchomp: 34% but still a beast

Lucario, my great late game sweeper, is down. However, he did take a nasty chunk out of Garchomp’s health. Ouch. Now Jolteon can finish it off with Hidden Power Ice.

But what if it’s scarfed? Then I’d lose Jolteon for nothing. It’s probably Yache, since he already had a Scarftran. That was his lead though. It wouldn’t be totally unreasonable to also be packing a Scarfchomp for insurance.

Okay, hold on. Think. What have I see so far? I’ve seen 5 out of 6 Pokemon: Scarf Heatran, Metagross, Gyarados, Gengar, and Garchomp. I have no idea what items Metagross, Gyarados, or Gengar had since they all went down in one hit. If Gengar was scarfed then Garchomp wouldn’t be, but there’s no way for me to know.

Wait. Gengar, Gyarados, Garchomp... where have I seen that combination before? Oh, yeah! Husk’s team! This is like a modified version of Husk’s team! It’s probably banded, then. That’s my gut feeling. I’m going to switch Jolteon in and...

...get walled by Heatran afterward even if he does stay in, and have no safe switches left. Hrm. T.T

Well, if I’m right about Garchomp being banded, then I’ve got a plan that could potentially screw him over. If he’s scarfed, that’s even better. But if he’s Yache... this will be a big mistake. I’ve got to try it though or I’ll never get rid of that Heatran. Go, Breloom!

Reik switched in Breloom.

Let’s see if I’m right.

Breloom lost 71% of its health.
Breloom used Spore.
Garchomp fell asleep!
Breloom was badly poisoned!

Garchomp: 34% and snoozing
Breloom: 29% with Toxic Orb activation

Yowch! 71 percent? That pretty much confirms my suspicion of that Garchomp being banded. Good thing Breloom still has enough health left to substitute. If I’m right about this being a modified version of Husk’s team, then I know he won’t be sending in his last Pokemon just yet. Heatran’s coming back out, and it’s time to finally rid myself of that oversized Easy-Bake Oven.

Breloom used Substitute.
Breloom lost 25% of its health.
Breloom made a substitute!
Breloom's Poison Heal restored health!
Breloom restored 12% of its health.

Heatran: 100% but not for long
Breloom: 16% and behind a substitute

You all know what’s coming. Breloom, show me yo’ moves!

Breloom is tightening its focus!
The substitute took damage for Breloom!
Breloom’s substitute faded!
Breloom used FALCON PUNCH!
It's super effective!
Heatran lost 100% of its health.
itachi owns 109's Heatran will never have children.
Breloom's Poison Heal restored health!
Breloom restored 12% of its health.

3-2 Reik.

Breloom: 29% and currently the hero of the team

Hah! Take that, Heatran! Finally, that thing is gone. I’m surprised it used Dragon Pulse, but maybe its only Fire attack was Overheat and he didn’t want to risk missing.

Unfortunately, I think I know what’s coming... and it’s not good for me at all.

itachi owns 109 switched in Deoxys-e.
Deoxys-e is exerting its pressure!

Yeah, I was right. One of the staples of Husk’s team: Deoxys-e. Both Breloom and I are feeling the pressure now. Breloom, you did well. Your last job is to take one for the team.

Deoxys-e used Ice Beam.
It's super effective!
Breloom lost 29% of its health.
Reik's Breloom became a frozen pizza topping.
Deoxys-e lost 10% of its health.

2-2, but Garchomp is asleep.

Deoxys-e: 90% and threatening to sweep my team

Great, I finally take out that Heatran, only to be swept by Deoxys. Salamence doesn’t stand a chance. Jolteon might be able to survive an attack, but can’t OHKO it.

But wait, he just took Life Orb damage, right? Maybe if I...

Salamence's intimidate cut Deoxys-e's attack!

I'll sacrifice Salamence to make it take a little more recoil damage.

Deoxys-e used Ice Beam.
It's super effective!
Salamence lost 100% of its health.
Reik's Salamence flew south for the winter.

2-1 Itachi

Deoxys-e: 80% and still threatening to sweep my team

Reik switched in Jolteon.

I’m down to my last Pokemon, Jolteon, who was ironically also my first. Was the 20% damage from Life Orb recoil enough for Jolteon to get the KO? I need to do a damage calculation.

Thunderbolt will do 63%-74%. If it does more than 70%, Deoxys will faint from Life Orb recoil and I’ll be free to finish off that sleeping CB Chomp. If it does less than 70%, then I lose. Those aren’t very good odds considering the damage range.

But wait. My Jolteon is normally a substituting Baton Passer. I have a Petaya Berry! I’ll do another damage calc to see how much damage Deoxys can do to me.

Yes! The most it can do with Psychic is 70%! However, if it has Psycho Boost, I need to attack on this turn in order to KO it, and even then there’s a chance Jolteon will be OHKO’d. Psycho Boost is kind of rare though, so I’m going to substitute.

Deoxys-e used Ice Beam.
Jolteon lost 42% of its health.
Jolteon used Substitute.
Jolteon lost 25% of its health.
Jolteon made a substitute!

Deoxys-e: 70%
Jolteon: 33% with a substitute

Oh? No Psychic or Psycho Boost? It must have Shadow Ball then. Jolteon’s got this. I need to substitute again to get the Petaya boost, though.

Deoxys-e used Ice Beam.
The substitute took damage for Jolteon!
Jolteon’s substitute faded!
Jolteon used Substitute.
Jolteon lost 25% of its health.
Jolteon made a substitute!
Jolteon's Petaya Berry raised its special attack!

Deoxys-e: 70% and screwed
Jolteon: 8% with +1 Special Attack and a substitute

There it is. It’s time for Jolteon to clean things up.

Deoxys-e used Ice Beam.
The substitute took damage for Jolteon!
Jolteon's substitute faded!
Jolteon used Thunderbolt.
Deoxys-e lost 70% of its health.
itachi owns 109's Deoxys-e phoned home.

1-1

Nice. It’s over.

Garchomp: 34% and asleep
Jolteon: 8% with +1 Special Attack

itachi owns 109: gg
itachi owns 109 has left the room.
Reik wins!

Props
-Jolteon for saving the day and being a really cool lead.
-Breloom for taking a hit from CB Chomp, disabling it, and taking out that damn Heatran.
-Salamence for OHKOing stuff like it always does.
-Santeria for posting his team so I could copy his Jolteon/Specsmence/Breloom combo.
-Itachi for a good game.
-The Hax Gods for the lack of hax this game.

Slops
-Milotic for getting exploded upon and not walling Heatran like it’s supposed to.
-Metagross for not knowing Thunderpunch.
-Lucario for not sweeping the entire opposing team. (You’re still cool though, Luke.)

I feel obligated to show all of Itachi's team like I showed mine at the beginning.

Itachi's Team:

The long thought process after Lucario fell was really nice. You played really well with Jolteon and Breloom (not that you didn't otherwise play well!). Five star story for sure.

Reik switched in Lucario.
Lucario lost 30% of its health.

Heatran: 100% and pissed off
Lucario: 70% and ready to do a little dance

Yes! Luke gets a free Swords Dance! It’s time to really start doing some damage. I would have liked to save him until late game, but it can’t be helped.

Lucario used Swords Dance.
Lucario's attack was sharply raised.

Bah, Garchomp. No Lucario sweep for me. T_T At least I can put a giant dent in it if it’s a Yache Chomp and finish it off with Jolteon’s Hidden Power Ice. Goodbye, Lucario. But before you go, make that Garchomp regret ruining your sweep!

Lucario used Extremespeed.
Garchomp lost 66% of its health.
Lucario lost 10% of its health.
It's super effective!
Lucario lost 60% of its health.
Reik's Lucario falls honorably.
A typo, according to the blue, lucario had 70% HP, while it only lost 60%.And it apparently fainted.

Great battle with great prediction. Knowing Husks team really did give you a huge advantage. 9.5/10

Sweet battle, great first post. Funny at times and great insights into your playstyle. I realized around the same time as you that it was a modified version of Husk's team. I especially liked the way you played Jolteon at the end, very cool.

GG.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Why did he leave!? Jolteon could miss, Garchomp could wake up and earthquake potentially . . .

. . . oh wait, no sand up. lolz. Good game guys.

That was a nice warstory. I did like the little captions you put by their health percentages after each turn.

Very nicely played at the end with Jolteon. But your opponent didn't seem like he predicted very well (no offense to either of you). Before Breloom did its thing, Heatran had 4 different turns where it could attack. All 4 times, it just used the whatever attack would do the most damage to your current Pokemon, seemingly without considering your switches. Of course, it could just be that he over-predicted, thinking you would stay in but at some point a good battler has to adapt to an opponent's tactics and mix things up a bit.

Very nice warstory. Like everyone said, it had just enough humour and enough description to make it very well written.

Good job. ;3

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
You're not allowed to be that coherent and entertaining with your first post dammit! Nice job.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)