OU Warstory: I'm in Your Mind Reading Your Thoughts!

BlueCookies

April Fools 2009 Participant
VGC '10, '11, '12 Masters Champion
I usually don't bother reading the warstories that don't get rated 5 stars, so since your was I decided to read it and boy was it a good story. I loved your commentary as well as the ending. I hope you continue to write more warstories and if it was up to me, this battle would be going to the archive.

I see I'm not the only person who has Choice Scarf Infernape! :jump:

I used one for my Wifi/PBR team for a while with Flare Blitz, Close Combat, Stone Edge, and U-Turn since by chance, I got a good Lonely one over the GTS. What to do with an Infernape without a Hasty Nature? Scarf it, of course!

You'd be amazed as to how many opponents leave their Pokemon in your opponent doesn't expect Scarf Infernape. You may be wondering why I'm giving you my moveset for a Pokemon that relies on surprise, but I'm telling you because I probably won't use it for a while since it would be dead weight on my new teams, anyway.

Interesting warstory due to the amount of prediction involved.

hahahahaha this was amazing! I totally enjoyed the battle, though the Scarf Ape not CCing your Flygon put me off since he probably would have won. Still and excellent read, many people need to look at this for an example as to how to write a warstory.

And the award for the best warstory from someone with less than 30 posts goes to...Freaky.

Fucking masterpiece.

Bad Ass

Custom Title
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 2nd Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
And here I am thinking I am the only ScarfApe user. If this is not archived, I will personally find and kill anyone who had the power to do so.

****** 6 stars, awesome job

such a good match, man. not only the story, it was very interesting how this was especially based on mind games - fantastic comments. really great

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Good job dude (though as soon as I saw flare blitz I knew it was Jolly-Scarf-nape . . .)

I've actually seen a few of these-- they outspeed scarf-jirachi, hammering both jirachi and metagross with flare blitz, and hit Latias hard with U-Turn (since latias loves switching in on infernape).

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Uh, I don't think this could be written any better. For the love of Stark please continue to write Warstories.

supermarth64

Here I stand in the light of day
is a Contributor Alumnus
Brilliant game, but I noticed one mistake in your "alternate" ending. If Infernape had Close Combated (even without the stealth rocks), your Gengar would've came in and absorbed the Close Combat, meaning you would've still won.

Thanks again for all the feedback guys! I'm certainly open to writing more warstories in the future if I get some nice battles.

I really enjoyed your warstory freakyvillian, it's really neat to see how you think things through before each turn, and it has given me reason to never assume that an opponent will have "the standard" moveset.
Heh, I've definitely learned that from this battle. However, it's an interesting conundrum since statistically they probably are using the standard set so you're at an advantage if you do guess it right. However, non-standard sets do exist and are often used just for the element of surprise so to win out in the long run, you need to use both statistical knowledge and circumstantial inferences when guessing at their movesets.

And obviously, you're still going to be wrong at least some of the time so there's always that element of chance involved.

If you were wondering, standard scarfape has thunderpunch as the last move.

Nice Warstory!
Ah, thanks! It's no surprise then that he didn't use it since Flygon can easily come in for free and pulverize him.

You'd be amazed as to how many opponents leave their Pokemon in your opponent doesn't expect Scarf Infernape.
Seeing as how that happened to me, no, I'm not at all amazed. :naughty:

hahahahaha this was amazing! I totally enjoyed the battle, though the Scarf Ape not CCing your Flygon put me off since he probably would have won.
Possibly, though not necessarily true. If he uses CC, I would be able to get Gengar in for free for an easy sub. His only chance then would be to sacrifice metagross for a Bullet Punch to break the sub, then send Scizor or Infernape in to finish Gengar off. However, he would have to predict very carefully at that point.

If it were Infernape he sent in, he would have to either predict a switch and U-Turn, predict me staying in and ThunderPunch, or use Flare Blitz to hit everything hard. But all three choices are very risky. Flare Blitz could possibly kill him with recoil while ThunderPunch doesn't do enough to Scizor. U-Turn is worthless against Gengar so if I'd stayed in, I would get an almost guarenteed kill one of his pokemon.

If he sent in Scizor, on the other hand, he would be able to either kill me with Bullet Punch or predict a switch with Swords Dance or possibly pursuit. This is risky as well since without a boost and without CB, he might not be able to kill Scizor in one hit but if he stayed in to try to SD, I might of left Gengar in to die as well and OHKO him with HP Fire when he doesn't priority me.

So either way, it would be a close game and either way, it would of been a lot of fun. :D

On the converse side, it was a match almost predated on the use of SR, but I won't complain.
SR certainly had a large influence on the outcome, but seeing as how the majority of pokemon on both sides are weak/neutral to SR, that's not very surprising. The outcome itself was somewhat surprising though because Scarfnape seemed to have exactly the right amount of HP left to die to SR (12%) which was very lucky and made for much more drama. However, and I didn't realize this at the time, even if he survied, he would not have many options since collectively my last two pokemon are immune to electric/fighting which means his only options are U-Turn and Flare Blitz. Using Flare Blitz would undoubtedly kill himself with the few percentage he has remaining which leaves U-Turn, a move that Gengar is 4x resistant to. That, is the problem of choice.

Brilliant game, but I noticed one mistake in your "alternate" ending. If Infernape had Close Combated (even without the stealth rocks), your Gengar would've came in and absorbed the Close Combat, meaning you would've still won.
Heh, yeah, I was hoping people would see the pessimism and dark prophecies I made before and forget the fact that I had a Gengar in the wings. At the time, I was thinking of nothing short of "Game Over" and in the actual story I hoped to capture some of that anticipation of doom. I guess it worked on some people at least. ;D

like everybody has been saying. nice warstory. I liked the ending, I guess that's why every stinkin' lead in OU carries that move. nice battle to both of you, and as you kept track, fairly even with the prediction

This really sucked me in right away. Like they said, very engaging and whatnot. There's more awesome stuff than that, though.
There's the insight on why you did everything, the humor, the surprises, the double switches... more warstories need to be like this one.
I also loved the sample of what it's like to use A. A fast hard-hitting team (I usually have the slow bulky stuff) and B. Lots of choice items (My teams have like 4 or 5 leftovers, haha). Entertaining, Educational, what more do you need?

*Signs archival petition*

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Thanks for the awesome read, freakyvillian =] You have really played well with what monsters you have selected. It's amazing how your frail team has managed to utilize its heavy offense aggressively and take down bulky offense like MEtagross and Scizor, and ultimately the defensive typings of Flygon and Gengar won the match. The opponent did mispredict (or overpredict) at a crucial time when he didn't MMash your Flygon, though. IMO that was a big slop. And how does your team fare against DDGyarados if it had Taunt? Especially since your Swampert doesn't even have Ice Beam, Gengar without Thunderbolt, and Flygon without Stone-Edge (although OUtrage does roughly the same amount)?

Thanks for the awesome read, freakyvillian =] You have really played well with what monsters you have selected. It's amazing how your frail team has managed to utilize its heavy offense aggressively and take down bulky offense like MEtagross and Scizor, and ultimately the defensive typings of Flygon and Gengar won the match. The opponent did mispredict (or overpredict) at a crucial time when he didn't MMash your Flygon, though. IMO that was a big slop. And how does your team fare against DDGyarados if it had Taunt? Especially since your Swampert doesn't even have Ice Beam, Gengar without Thunderbolt, and Flygon without Stone-Edge (although OUtrage does roughly the same amount)?
Yeah, Taunt Gyarados is very bad for this team. I had TBolt on Gengar but I was testing HP Fire instead at the time since I noticed a lot of people switching Scizor into him. If worst comes to worst I can always take him down with a combined priority assault from Scizor's Quick Attack and Weavile's Ice Shard but that's obviously far from ideal. A lot of times though, just sending in Gengar is enough to force a switch with a bluffed TBolt.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)