1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

OU WEATHERLESS (RATE IT)

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by POtaTO123, Aug 1, 2012.

1. POtaTO123

POtaTO123

Wait so before you start reading this, a disclaimer:
    This is my first time writing a RMT so bear with the non in-depth analysis of every poke on my team so yeah. But I'll try to make this good.

Posting on this RMT is to request for some feedback regarding weather less teams (Pardon me for the spelling errors but i'm really too lazy).Weather teams are like everywhere so I got bored. Furthermore i am not a big fan of weather starters. So I decided to make a team that only relies on themselves and nothing else (Maybe me but oh well).
    So here's the team:

[​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    All criticism are warmly welcomed.

THE TEAM:
    [​IMG]
    Forretress (F) @ Red Card
    Trait: Sturdy
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
    Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
    - Spikes
    - Toxic Spikes
    - Rapid Spin
    - Volt Switch

Seriously posting a RMT is such a hassle. But anyway, here's the first pokemon of my team. Basic explanations required i supposed: Come in on a physical move, set up hazards, spin, run away. Pretty much ripped off from smogon. I used to use gyro ball over volt switch but I see mags everywhere so yea. Y DOESNT IT GET U-TURN IT IS FRICKIN' BUG TYPE. lol that was random. It takes outrages pretty easily. Red card to prevent set-uppers coming in on it.

[​IMG]
    Blissey (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Natural Cure
    EVs: 216 HP / 252 Def / 40 SDef
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Heal Bell
    - Wish
    - Seismic Toss
    - Toxic

Ahhh, the pink blob, one of the most important team member in this team: Wish support, cleric and special sponge. All required to prevent stupid status inducers from hurting my breloom (that would be explained later). Seriously it would be better if I had used chansey but I can't seem to find a reason to use her instead of bliss so oh well. Nothing much to say about it. Main reason I use it: FRICKIN' SPECIAL WALL.

[​IMG]
    Breloom (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Technician
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Bullet Seed
    - Mach Punch
    - Swords Dance
    - Spore

WOOHOO my late game sweeper. I just had to test this thing out, and it worked out incredible. Techniloom is on of the best things ever. Mach punch reaches the power of scizors bullet punch, which really hurts ALOT. Bullet seed is a reliable STAB that out classes seed bomb completely, due to the higher chance of hitting more than twice. I tried rock tomb on the last moveslot but I NEVER get to use it, not even once. So I sub-ed it for spore to allow me to set up SD.OH and leftovers to negate hail or sandstorm. YAY FOR BRELOOM.

[​IMG]
    Heatran (F) @ Air Balloon
    Trait: Flash Fire
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 SDef
    Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
    - Earth Power
    - Lava Plume
    - Stealth Rock
    - Roar

Heatran is necessary on my team due to resistance to many things breloom is weak to (Fire,Ice,Flying,Psychic,Poison). But I can't decide if i should use scarfed heatran and give forre stealth rock instead. Please leave your comments on which heatran set I should use.

[​IMG]
    Gyarados (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Moxie
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Substitute
    - Dragon Dance
    - Waterfall
    - Stone Edge

HAHA my favourite sweeper of all time. Sub dd is so successful, with the only problems I face Jellicent to a certain extent and Ferrothorn. Moxie makes gyarados so fearsome behind a sub as i grab DDs and KOs. Usually I would send it in on something that cannot touch it like non-CB Scizor or heatran. I might consider bounce instead of SE to hit ferrothorn harder and the paralysis chance is also pretty good. Oh and sub is to prevent status even though I have bliss to heal bell (loosing all your boosts sucks a lot). WOOTZ GYARADOS FTW.

[​IMG]
    Sableye (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Prankster
    EVs: 252 HP / 48 Def / 208 SDef
    Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Taunt
    - Night Shade
    - Recover

No comments.. This was really a filler. I had to decide between espeon, reuniclus and this. I tried trick room Reun but I found huge problems with lucario and other fights cause after a SD lucario does too much even if Reuniclus resisted it. Espeon was for dual screens so breloom and gyarados could sweep easliy, but the immunity and the ability to hit will-o-wisp first was a good option to prevent lucario from sweeping, so I used it. This set was ripped off smogon lalala. Please comment and advise me on better alternatives to sablye. TYVM

So that's pretty much all to my team (DUh). Erm I can't think of anything that might wall my team either than tornadus and thundurus in the rain (they are annoying). Probably sun to a certain extent. Oh yes heatran works well if opposing teams are sun teams, and breloon and gyarados works well on opposing rain teams. Sandstorm is probably a problem, but ah well I can at least survive...
    Thanks a lot for those who bothered to read all the way through, and I hope you all can give me some comments on my team, or even a replacement to one of my team members.
    THANK YOU AND HAVE A GOOD DAY AHEAD
  2. POtaTO123

POtaTO123

RATE IT RATE IT SORRY IM A BIT IMPATIENT
  3. Shining_Latios

Shining_Latios

Hey man nice team you got here, but I have a couple of suggestions. To start things off, I think you should use Protect > Toxic on Blissey. This helps you ensure a Wish heal after the turn you used Wish. On Heatran, Toxic > Earth Power enables you to deliver damage to opposing Pokemon, considerably sweepers. On Gyarados, I really believe you should try out a Bulky Dragon Dance set with Intimidate. Intimidate can definitely help Gyarados set up easier against Pokemon it normally couldn't when using Moxie.

Set
    Show Hide

[​IMG]
    Gyarados @ Leftovers
    Trait: Intimidate
    EVs: 176 HP / 128 Atk / 204 Spd
    Adamant Nature
    - Substitute / Taunt
    - Dragon Dance
    - Waterfall
    - Bounce

I figured you liked using Substitute so you can definitely use it over Taunt, but you miss on setting up on the likes of status-carrying Pokemon. Dragon Dance and Waterfall are obvious moves. Bounce is for a powerful STAB, which allows you to hit Ferrothorn and a chance to cause paralysis as well. I like the team and I hope I helped.
  4. Nova

Nova Samsung Alpaca
    is a Smogon IRC AOPis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
    Mentor

Hi POtaTO123

Welcome to Smogon and solid balanced team you have here. One threat to your team is Dragon Dance Salamence who hits everything hard with Outrage and Earthquake nails Heatran once it has taken some prior damage and his balloon has been popped. DD Salamence usually carry Fire Blast to wreck Forretress and use Lum Berry as their item so they can shrug off burn from Sableye's Will-o-Wisp. Another threat to your team is Tornadus-T. He hits every member incredibly hard with Hurricane and now are starting to pack Superpower for Blissey and Heatran. For these threats, I recommend replacing Toxic Spikes on Forretress with Gyro Ball. Due to the slow speed of Forretress compared to its opponent's, his Gyro Ball will be hitting very hard. Although Toxic Spikes are nice to wear down walls and limit the lifespan of sweepers, two of your other Pokemon already pack the potential to inflict burn and Blissey has Toxic so you already have plenty of status moves. When changing Toxic Spikes to Gyro Ball, also change his nature to Relaxed. This change benefits Forretress in two ways. First, it makes him even slower, meaning his Gyro Ball will hit even harder and often will be hitting for maximum damage. Secondly, it means that you will usually move after your opponent so you can gain the switch advantage with Volt Switch. This also allows you to weather a hit with Forretress and get a clean switchin to another Pokemon.

Now for some other changes. On Heatran, I recommend an EV spread of 240 HP / 252 SDef / 16 Spd with a Calm nature. This speed investment allows you to outspeed the onsite Specially Defensive Heatran set and hit first with Earth Power while sacrificing a minimal amount of bulk. On Breloom, I recommend using Lum Berry over Leftovers. Lum Berry allows you to dodge status once while setting up, giving you an easier time of setting up on things such as Tentacruel. Leftovers is nice to negate hail and sand damage, but you are usually using Breloom as a late game cleaner so he will not be out for very many turns of a battle anyways. On Gyarados, try using Bounce over Stone Edge. Bounce provides you with a powerful Flying STAB that also has a nice paralysis chance. Waterfall and Bounce provide great coverage together as the latter allows you to get past bulky Grass types such as Ferrothorn, Celebi, and Virizion who would otherwise wall you. Intimidate is also more useful on Gyarados than Moxie for your team. You can often come in on a predicted Scizor's Bullet Punch, Intimidate it to drop its attack stat and then set up a Substitute on the predicted switch out. This gives you a much better chance of setting up. Intimidate also helps you with your DD Salamence weakness by negating the attack boost that he gets when Dragon Dancing. Lastly you are missing 4 EVs on Breloom and Gyarados so drop those into Defense for a bit more bulk to take physical strikes.

Hope I helped and good luck with your team!

Set:
    Show Hide
    Forretress (M) @ Red Card
    Trait: Sturdy
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
    Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
    -Spikes
    -Gyro Ball
    -Rapid Spin
    -Volt Switch

tl;dr
    Show Hide
    Toxic Spikes on Forretress ----> Gyro Ball
    Impish Nature on Forretress ----> Relaxed Nature
    Heatran's EV Spread ----> 240 HP / 252 SDef / 12 Spd with Calm Nature
    Leftovers on Breloom ----> Lum Berry
    Stone Edge on Gyarados ----> Bounce
    Moxie on Gyarados ----> Intimidate
    Add 4 Defense EVs on Breloom and Gyarados
  5. Electrolyte

Electrolyte What we dream, that's all that matters
    is an official Team Rateris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Battle Server Moderator
    Mentor

Hi, and welcome to Smogon!

Your team has a pretty solid defensive core in Blissey / Heatran / Forretress, but offensively your team is kind of weak. Your two primary sweepers, Breloom and Gyarados, are easily walled by pokemon like Skarmory or Ferrothorn. Your only special attacker, (not counting forretress, because you will never sweep with Forretress) Heatran, is split between Defense and offense, making your special offense relatively weak. Rain teams will also give you many problems; Tornadus-T and Thundurus-T can deal massive damage with their powerful STABs and new toy in Superpower.

To try to solve these problems, I would strongly recommend that you switched Sableye, who wasn't helping your team very much, to SubPass Espeon. Espeon covers a lot of what Sableye does, bar spinblocking. It's Magic Bounce negates the need to ever use Taunt, crippling Stall teams that try to pull down your walls. It can also Calm Mind and pass speedy substitutes to Gyarados, Heatran, and Breloom, increasing their Specially Defensive capabilities. It also functions as a great special attacker too, firing off powerful psychics, reducing your need to worry about fighting types eliminating Heatran and Blissey.

[​IMG]
    Espeon @ Leftovers
    252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    ~Baton Pass
    ~Substitute
    ~Calm Mind
    ~Psychic
    Espeon's goal is to switch into pokemon like Ferrothorn or Forretress, reflect their hazards, and then substitute on the switch. Then, you can use Espeon's great speed to pass to Gyarados, whose Intimidate will decrease the opponent's attack so they can't break the substitute. From there, you can Dragon Dance, and then proceed to sweep. If the opponent brings in a special based pokemon, you could even Calm Mind instead of Baton Passing right away, so you could pass some SpDef boosts to Breloom and Gyarados, allowing them to take even more hits. Because Calm Mind boosts SpA too, you could pass to Heatran, making it's already massive base 130 SpA go to work on your opponent.

In order to maximize Gyarados's synergy with it's new teammate, there are a few minor suggestions I think you should make. To keep it's Substitute up long enough, you need Intimidate instead of Moxie. Since you have Espeon to pass substitutes for you, you can replace your own Substitute for Bounce, so you can hit Ferrothorn harder.

Good luck with your team!

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)