1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

OU Weatherless Team (Armored Dragons)

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by Jstan, Oct 5, 2012.

1. Jstan

Jstan

Armored Dragons​

Thanks to all those that are going to take your time rating/criticizing the team. As this is my second RTM i wanted to post something better than my older team that was a sun team that revolved around fighting Rain and Sand. This time its a weather less team that i built after seeing some hail teams but i found that Abomasnow's hail wasn't really needed to counter the heavy rain of rain teams and so i built a team without him and centered it around lucario and letting him get a sweep late-game.

Team at a glance:

[​IMG]

Jellicent (M) @ Leftovers Trait: Water Absorb
    EVs: 252 HP / 168 Def / 88 Spd
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Taunt
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Scald
    - Recover

Jellicent is my best counter to politoed no matter which variant as Hidden Power[Grass/Electric] will not do much.It is also my spin blocker which isn't an important characteristic but it comes in handy as lucario loves help from entry hazards.Water absorb over cursed body just because Cursed body is kind of gimmicky but it has it's advantages.EV spread is standard but with less def EVs and 88 Spe EVs to outspeed Politoed with 4 Spe EVs and taunt it before toxic hits me.Taunt to shut down Forretress and other entry hazards layers will-o-wisp to cripple physical attackers although i might change to toxic as scald can cause burns though 45% less probability than will-o-wisp.Recover to keep jellicent healthy.Jellicent is a utility counter and also sponge attacks that the rest of the team can not.

[​IMG]

Ferrothorn (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Iron Barbs
    EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SDef
    Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
    - Power Whip
    - Thunder Wave
    - Stealth Rock
    - Protect > Spikes (Still Deciding)

Ferrothorn is Ferrothorn, nothing much has changed and it takes physical and some special hits well.My only entry hazard layer and power whip to hit pretty hard despite being a defensive pokemon.Thunder wave for incoming speedy pokemon that could wreck havoc.Stealth rock is arguably the best move in the game.Spikes for more entry hazards.I might look at leech seed but spikes helps my team pretty well considering the weakness to volt-turn teams.I am also looking at protect over spikes as it helps me against Genesect and also other choice looked pokemon.

[​IMG] by Nanasschevelu @ Deviantart (Appreciation and a forgiveness for using the image without permission)

Mamoswine (M) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Thick Fat
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Superpower > Stone Edge(Confirmed)
    - Ice Shard
    - Icicle Spear
    - Earthquake

Mamoswine is a beast at what it does.Revenge killing therian forms, brelooms hitting hard and denting physical walls and getting rid of gliscor even under a sub with icicle spear.EVs a standard and i gave him a Jolly nature to out speed timid heatran.Superpower for Steels like Ferrothorn, Bronzong, ~Heatran on a balloon~(For those that know flaming Spade).Ice shard for stab priority and icicle spear for pesky sub toxic gliscors.Earthquake is the strongest stab move i have and it hit pretty hard with it's mammoth attack stat.

[​IMG] by Xous54 @ Deviantart (Appreciation and a forgiveness for using the image without permission)

Salamence (F) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Intimidate
    EVs: 64 Atk / 192 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
    - Draco Meteor
    - Fire Blast
    - Earthquake
    - Outrage

Salamence is probably the best mixed attacking dragon in the entire game excluding the uber dragons.Life orb for the extra Power boost.EV spread is standard and allows it to run max speed.Naive nature to give it a positive speed nature while not hindering its defense, attack and special attack.Inimidate is my choice of ability due to it's effect and can help deal with physical attackers.Draco meteor to hit gliscor and other physical pokemon that think they can stop my salamence in it's tracks.Fireblast for the common steels, bugs, grass and Earthquake for almost precisely for heatran.Outrage for stab and powerful damage.

Now to the last two guys.These guys work extremely well with each other. One's a dragon and the other is a steel. One's psychic and the other is fighting with the ability justified. You have probably guessed who these guys are.

[​IMG]by Xous54 @ Deviantart (Appreciation and a forgiveness for using the image without permission)

Latios (M) @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Draco Meteor
    - Psyshock > Trick (Confirmed)
    - Hidden Power [Fire]
    - Surf

Latios is one of my favorite pokemon and i am glad it is here.With a scarf it outspeed most Scarfers and Although it doesn't pack the meteors that Specs does scarfed latios does its job fine.Ev spread is standard.Draco for Destruction and psyshock for Terrakion(In sand), Breloom, CM Keldeo, Toxicroak and Venusaur. HP[Fire fore predicted scizor switch ins, ferrothorn and genosect.Surf for gliscor, heatran.It can take ground moves aimed at lucario w/o risking take supper efective damage from Stone edge if salamence were to be predicted.Takes those fire moves with it's descent defenses.Laughs at breloom all day long.Hits like a truck. Out-speeds scarf terrakion.

[​IMG] by BWild56 @ deviantart((Appreciation and a forgiveness for using the image without permission)

Lucario (M) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Justified
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Close Combat
    - ExtremeSpeed
    - Swords Dance
    - Crunch

I don't need to say much.Takes dark moves like a boss and increases it's attack.Skarmory ain't touching him With CC doing more than 75% after 1 SD.Takes him 1 turn to wreck my opponents whole team with E Speed and CC.Crunch is here for ghost and bulky physics like reuniclus and slowbro but i miss bullet punch for gengar and terrakion.I would like to see your views on this.My usual end game sweeper and it happens often unless salamence is in a bad mood.

Thanks for your time.

Here are few threats I found during my battles:

• Trick Room Reuniclus.
    • Volt-Turn teams (Scizor + Bulky Rotom-W)
    • Hyper Offensive teams
  2. Jstan

Jstan

OU common threat list

This list is off the top 50 pokemon in usage statistics during august 2012:

threat-list (open)

Politoed - Jellicent and ferrothorn
    Scizor - Jellicent
    Ferrothorn - Jellicent and salamence
    Dragonite - mamoswine.
    Heatran - Jellicent, Mamoswine, Salamence
    Tyranitar - Lucario and mamoswine
    Jirachi - Mamoswine
    Gliscor - Jellicent, Latios and mamoswine
    Breloom - Mamoswine
    Starmie - Ferrothorn
    Salamence - Mamoswine and latios(if not DD)
    Forretress - Jellicent
    Rotom-Wash - Ferrothorn and latios
    Genesect - Salamence(Non-scarfed variant)
    Latios - Latios (if not scarfed)and Mamoswine
    Ninetales - Salamence and latios
    Gengar - Latios and mamoswine
    Terrakion - Latios (variant with rock polish is tough)
    Tornadus-Therian - Mamoswine
    Mamoswine - Jellicent
    Tentacruel - Latios, Ferrothorn and mamoswine
    Thundurus-Therian - Mamoswine
    Infernape - Latios
    Volcarona - Stealth rock + Spin blocker , Latios
    Skarmory - You exist? Latios, Salamence
    Espeon - Latios , Power Whip^^.
    Gyarados - Ferrothorn
    Blissey - Lucario
    Alakazam - Latios , Priority(Ice shard E Speed)
    Venusaur - Latios
    Cloyster - Ferrothorn
    Hydreigon - Mamoswine , Latios
    Jolteon - mamoswine , latios
    Haxorus - Latios , Mamoswine
    Vaporeon - Ferrothorn
    Jellicent - ferrothorn (Defensive sets)
    Lucario - Jellicent , Mamoswine
    Donphan - Jellicent , Latios
    Conkeldurr - Need to figure out moveset
    Metagross - salamence, jellicent
    Magnezone - mamoswine
    Celebi - mamoswine
    Landorus-Therian - mamoswine
    Dugtrio - mamoswine, latios
    Latias - mamoswine
    Keldeo - jellicent
    Landorus - mamoswine
    Reuniclus - lucario , jellicent(CM variant)
    Gastrodon - ferrothorn
  3. Alexander.

Alexander.
    is a Team Rater Alumnus

Hello,

Imo your team is weak to sun team so I suggest you to try Shed Shell Heatran instead of Ferrothorn. Then, you can try sableye > jellicent if you want to have a great solution against Reuniclus and a check for hyper offense team, in fact it can use taunt on opponents deoxys-d to prevent the setup of spikes and stealth rock and burn stuff like terrakion or lucario. I don't see magic coat on deoxys-d a lot...

Hope it helped, good luck with your team!
  4. Jstan

Jstan

Thanks for the suggestions.

I don't understanding why you say my team struggles against sun.I have 2 Dragons and a i have checks to common sun team members that counter dragons namely dragonite and heatran.
    I might try sableye but it lacks that bulk that jellicent has.
  5. Jstan

Jstan

thanks for that Mostwanted
    come on people 1 rate and comment in 500+ views, thats dissapointing.Is there something wrong with my RTM thread that makes people not rate and comment.Maybe it is too long?
    Bump
  6. TheStarRapper

TheStarRapper

Hey man I got your PM,

Take the dichotomy between views and rates as a sign of the strength of your team. There really aren't many flaws, but i'll suggest what i can. Though you were against Superpower on Mamoswine, nothing common is hit harder by Stone Miss than would be by a 3 hit Icicle Spear. There may come a day, be it against a Ferrothorn or a Bronzong or Air Balloon Tran, where Superpower saves the day.

Just looking at overall team synergy, the main threat I see is something like SubCM Latias, for which you could consider running Gyro Ball over Power Whip. Honestly, you could probably just suffice to be proactive with using Thunder Wave on a switch. As long as you stay on your game, you should be alright.

Though I agree that Sub Disable Gengar and Terrakion are big threats, running Bullet Punch would leave you lacking coverage against Jellicent. You do have a way to hit Jellicent with your fast Jelli and Dragon Spam, and you also have ways to check Gengar and Terrakion (Latios). The choice of move is yours.

As to address the threat list you laid out:

TR Reuniclus: Though you would be hard pressed to find a moveslot for it, Protect on Ferrothorn would be a great way to stall TR turns. Keep in mind this would cause you to lose coverage on other mons.

Volt Turn- My only suggestion is that you play riskily with Ferro against Scizor and Genesect and get up SR as fast as possible, turn 1 if possible. Again, Protect would help you to scout these threats should they use their SE move.

HO: The point of HO is to be hard to check (outside of TR). Best solution is to bring Salamence turn 1 against Deo-D to blast it to hell and limit it to 1 hazard.

Well class is starting so I gtg, but good luck!
  7. Jstan

Jstan

K thanks a lot for the suggestions i will try Superpower on mamoswine and protect on ferrothorn instead of spikes as i rarely get to lay them.
  8. TGMD

TGMD +Biosci: you both gave me crabs
    is a Tutoris a Battle Server Moderatoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
    Tournament Winner

Hey Jstan, nice team!

You mentioned Trick Room Reuniclus as one of your biggest threats, well changing Ferrothorn to a Relaxed Nature and 0 Speed IVs will let you outspeed Reuniclus under Trick Room, making it a little easier to deal with. This also means that you're slower than Forretress, and you can set up hazards after it Rapid Spin's, meaning you can spam Stealth Rocks and it won't be able to get rid of them.

Psyshock is a pretty good move on Latios that you said is used for Blissey... if you're running Specs or Life Orb, without one of those two, Psyshock will be doing pitiful damage to Blissey. Pyshock has other uses too, but other than using it on the likes of CM Keldeo, you'll almost always reach for the power Draco Meteor to get the OHKO. Running Trick over Psyshock will make Blissey easier to handle. Trick can easily make Blissey useless for the remainder of the match if you give it a Choice Scarf, it's a great weapon in general vs stall and it can even help against Volt-Turn by tricking your Choice Scarf to those irritating bulky Rotom-W's.

Lastly, you may want to change Lucario's EV spread to 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd, this way you don't give Genesect a Special Attack boost and you actually have a little worse than a 50/50 chance of surviving a Flamethower at full health, it may seem small but you never know when that may come in handy.

Anyway, I hope this rate helped and GL with the team :)
  9. Phazon00

Phazon00

Yeah, not a bad team. I would suggest taking out something and putting in Magnezone to make it a makeshift MagDrag, which would work out well. I would also recommend Icicle Crash over Spear as it is a better option on most sets.
  10. Jstan

Jstan

@ The Great Mighty Doom.Thanks for the advice .I will try those changes and see how it works.This team does pretty well against Garchomp who is now unbanned(something i am not a fan of...)With latios to outspeed scarf chomp and mamoswine to revenge kill.So i am pleased that my team wasn't affected by the unbanning of garchomp. @ Phanon00.I don't really find magnezone necessary to eliminate Steels as they are not hard to deal with ferrothorn and jellicent and salamence at times.I chose icicle spear over icicle crash because of Gliscor being high in usage and a large number of them running the sub-toxic set and icicle spear does around the same as icicle crash.
  11. Jstan

Jstan

New Theat List

These are not for september but for the past 3 months.

threat-list (open)
    ]Politoed - Jellicent, Ferrothron.
    Ferrothorn - Jellicent, Salamence, Lucario
    Dragonite - Mamoswine's Icicle spear
    Scizor - Jellicent
    Genesect - Have to predict around it.(NOT HARD)
    Heatran - Salamence, Mamoswine
    Tyranitar - Mamoswine, Lucario
    Breloom - Salamence is my best bet, Mamoswine if banded.
    Gliscor - Mamoswine, Latios, Salamence
    Rotom-Wash - Latios, Ferrothorn
    Jirachi - Mamoswine. Salamence, Lucario
    Salamence - Latios, Mamoswine
    Ninetales - Salamence, Mamoswine
    Terrakion - Latios(If not in Sand)
    Latios - Latios, Mamoswine if scarfed
    Starmie - Ferrothorn
    Forretress - Jellicent, Salamence
    Gengar - Latios
    Alakazam - Latios, Ice shard, Extreme Speed
    Mamoswine - Jellicent, Ferrothorn
    Tentacruel - Mamoswine, Salamence
    Volcarona - Stealth rocks , Latios , Lucario's E speed
    Infernape - Latios
    Tornadus-Therian - Mamoswine
    Venusaur - Latios
    Espeon - Latios, Salamence
    Skarmory - Jellicent, Salamence
    Cloyster - Ferrothorn
    Thundurus-Therian - Mamoswine
    Blissey - Lucario, Mamoswine, Jellicent, Ferrothorn
    Gyarados - Ferrothorn
    Landorus - Mamoswine
    Jellicent - Ferrothorn, Jellicent
    Jolteon - Mamoswine, Ferrothorn
    Lucario - Jellicent
    Donphan - Jellicent
    Conkeldurr - Jellicent
    Hydreigon - Latios, Mamoswine
    Haxorus - Latios, Mamoswine, Ferrothorn
    Dugtrio - Mamoswine, Jellicent
    Vaporeon - Ferrothorn
    Latias - Mamoswine
    Magnezone - Salamence, Mamoswine, Lucario
    Reuniclus - Jellicent
    Keldeo - Latios, Jellicent
    Landorus-Therian - Jellicent, Mamoswine
    Metagross - Salamence, Mamoswine, Jellicent
    Celebi - Salamence, Mamoswine
    Deoxys-Defense - Salamence
    Toxicroak - Latios, Mamoswine, Salamence
    Gastrodon - Ferrothorn
    Chansey - Ferrothorn, Lucario, Jellicent
    Hippowdon - Jellicent, Ferrothorn, Mamoswine
    Abomasnow - Lucario

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)