Project OU Weekly Research | v2 hosted by Terrakion. coming soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

approved by Celticpride | last one by Recreant | thanks FookMi? & Jack. for help w/ banner

The main goal of this project is to encourage and maintain discussion on lesser used, but still effective, Pokemon in ORAS OU with community participation. In addition to discussion based on the Pokemon (plural) of that week, the thread acts as a nice way to encourage people to build with more creative options in the tier, getting them out of their comfort zone a bit.

How it works:
  • Each week, 2-3 Pokemon will be chosen as our "test subjects".
    • From there, those of you participating can simply post saying which Pokemon you're gonna focus on.
  • At the end of the week, those participating simply post their findings in this thread. Things you can post include (but are not limited to):
    • strategies used
    • how you went about building with this Pokemon
    • general strengths / weaknesses you noticed about the Pokemon
    • if the meta is in favor of the Pokemon or not
    • sets you used with the Pokemon
    • and many more.....
  • During the discussion period, I'll tag everyone who grabbed a Pokemon.
  • Finally, as we're starting up the next week, I'll be announcing archived posts for each Pokemon from the previous week!
    • The posts that get archived are simply the posts that the people I normally talk to OU stuff about & I deem the best at "summarizing" that Pokemon.
    • PLEASE NOTE: the archived posts aren't necessarily the best posts due to the very subjective nature of choosing them. The main reason the archive exists is to have an example post to refer to for the various test subjects.
Guidelines:
  • Unlike other variations of this project on the other various tier subforums, you do not have to ladder to participate in these. Of course, battling & building a bit with your selected test subject are both highly suggested, but simply using a (not super old) build you already had and / or just testing with friends or testing in OU room tours is totally fine!
  • Posting replays and imports of the team you used are also both highly encouraged, but not mandatory.
  • If you take a test subject, it is expected that you'll post. Your posts don't need to be super lengthy & detailed, but they shouldn't be super short and simple. I'm not gonna put some arbitrary regulation on how many sentences you should have, but you should have at least a small paragraph.
If you have any comments or suggestions, feel free to PM / VM me. Have fun n_n

week #1
week #2
week #3
by Terrakion. (lol)
by BlazeLatias
by Infernal
week #4
by StarBomber109
(latias) by CrystalRam
by Terrakion.
week #5
by p2
by FookMi?
by Giagantic
week #6
week #7
week #8
by -Magic-
by Infernal (on mega altaria's fall from grace) & this post by AM (features cool sets)
by unfixable
week #9
week #10
by RedxThree
by AM
by Vertex
week #11
week #12
by Dr Ciel
by -Magic-
by -Magic- & this post by Dallasboi1992 (on a more defensive set)
week #13
by GustavoYAY
by AM
by gamer boy
week #14
week #15
by Starmei
by Camilas
by Infernal
week #16
week #17
by
by
by​
week #18

Last edited:
week #1

Crawdaunt & Mega Beedrill
REMEMBER: you simply pick 1 one these 2, and post here saying which one you're taking. also, you can use any set you want!

the discussion period will start on 1/23; those of you who want to participate have between now and then to play around with one of these pokemon.

have fun :]

Last edited:

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
can we post like preliminary thoughts in here? kinda like our initial observations on the first day of research as a kind of progress journal.

can we post like preliminary thoughts in here? kinda like our initial observations on the first day of research as a kind of progress journal.
you can do that if you want, but it'd probably be a bit cleaner if you just write what you want & click save. whatever you choose to do is fine tho ^^

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Focus Questions
    • strategies used

Day 1: Teambuilding
Focus Question(s)
  • Strategies Used

Thoughts
- In order to build around megabee, I tried to get a volturn team going with solid lures to bulky grounds along with more than one talonflame answer. Defensive Rotom-W+Standard Bee+HP Ice/Toxic Lando was a cool core I used for these teams. Also, Mag is really nice since steels are annoying af. Hazard removal is required since bee is a pivot and weak to rocks.

Sample Team: (will explain team on final day)
Beedrill @ Beedrillite
Ability: Swarm
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Protect
- U-turn
- Poison Jab
- Knock Off

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 8 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock

Latios @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Earthquake
- Defog

Azumarill @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Superpower
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day 2: Moveset Experimentation
Focus Question(s)
  • Sets you used with the Pokemon
  • Strategies used

Thoughts
Mega Beedrill is a pretty one dimensional pokemon, so most of the sets I used played pretty similarly, but they were fun to experiment with. Most of these sets were just experimenting with 1 or 2 moves on bee to see how they worked out. Some ideas that I tried out included pursuit, sd, and toxic spikes. The coverage move that I gave up for these was actually not terribly missed since I adapted the rest of the team based on the sets, but the moves that I fiddled around with were used scarcely.

Sample Set (will explain function of slashes on final day)
Beedrill @ Beedrillite
Ability: Swarm
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Protect
- U-turn
- Poison Jab
- Toxic Spikes/Pursuit/Swords Dance
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
gonna tag the guys involved in this:

lots more people than i expected for sure o:. thanks everyone for signing up to participate, you guys have between now and monday (1/25) night to write a bit about whichever pokemon you took (mega beedrill / crawdaunt). as a reminder:
If you take a test subject, it is expected that you'll post. Your posts don't need to be super lengthy & detailed, but they shouldn't be super short and simple. I'm not gonna put some arbitrary regulation on how many sentences you should have, but you should have at least a small paragraph.
and as a reminder to those unsure of what to post:
Things you can post include (but are not limited to):
  • strategies used
thanks everyone and have fun posting !!

as always, if there are any suggestions / concerns / comments about this project, feel free to PM / VM me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)