OU Wifi 5th Gen RMT, Sandstorm Offense! No Doryuzu?!

This is probably the most successful team I've had to date. I've tried sandstorm teams before to great success, but I found I tended to litter them with ground types (as awesome as life orb encourage nidoking is...) and sand abusers, and once tyranitar died and the opponent's weather starter was still alive, I'd lost the match. With this team, I made it with pokemon in mind that could survive on their own without sandstorm active, but benefitted from it greatly. Also doryuzu's not fun to play with because he wins so easily.

Without further ado, here's the team!

Lead (Sort of):

Denchura

@Choice Specs
Compoundeyes
Timid (+spe, -atk)
4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

- Thunder
- Energy Ball
- Bug Buzz
- HP Ice

One of the things I've learnt in wifi now is that you should NEVER lead with your weather setter if your opponent has one, too. Denchura is simply wonderful against the now ever-present Politoed, nailing that 100% accurate STAB Thunder, and even after I get up a sandstorm, while being less reliable Thunder is still accurate due to Compoundeyes. Energy Ball is incredibly useful also, wrecking Swampert, Quagsire, Gastrodon and Gamageroge which plague my team with their brilliant typing that grants them only one 4x super effective weakness, and their immunity to sandstorm while retaining SE STAB on most of my team. I run HP Ice over Volt Change because I found myself never using it, and with the sheer amount of dragons running around in this metagame, it's much better, I find.

Tyranitar

@Expert Belt
Sand Stream
Quiet (+SpA, -Spe)
200 HP/ 56 Atk / 252 SpA
- Ice Beam
- Fire Blast
- Superpower
- Pursuit

My god, Mixtar this gen is absolute lulz. People never see the Ice Beam coming, and it's this element of surprise that lands me at least one or two kills a match. After pursuiting the odd Ghost or Psychic, people expect the physical set and switch in, say, Nattorei expecting a nice, free turn of set up. SUP FIRE BLAST. I tend to use Tyranitar very sparingly, keeping him back unless it's absolutely necessary I switch him in, waiting for the opponent's weather abuser to die so I can set up Sandstorm freely. Also, I used to run 200 Spe and a Rash nature, but I found myself in the mindset of "seriously, what is Tyranitar going to outspeed?" Then it hit me; when a weather setter switches in, the slower one's weather is set. So with that in mind, I put the 200 EVs into HP for bulk and gave him a -Spe nature.

Roobushin

@Leftovers
Guts
Adamant (+Atk, -SpA)
252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD

- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Payback

This thing is almost TOO beastly. It's the reason I don't have a spinner on my team, so those beautiful, beautiful Toxic Spikes give me a nice, free Guts boost. The only thing that could make it better is if it had Curse, so that Payback would be more effective against Rankurusu... Ah well, no matter! It gains almost perfect coverage with just three moves, and after a Bulk Up, Doryuzus hoping to take advantage of my Sandstorming just get pwnt by Mach Punch. The EVs are pretty simple, maximising HP for bulk on both sides, with a little SpD invested. Also, when I have Sandstorm up, Leftovers nullifies the Sandstorm damage and I can regain health with Drain Punch. Very simple strategy.

Burungeru

@Leftovers

Water Absorb
Calm (+SpD, -Atk)
252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD

- Recover
- Will-o-Wisp
- Surf
- Shadow Ball

This thing is my team's GLUE, man. Its typing is amazing, and its synergy with the rest of my team is literally incredible. God, if this thing got Calm Mind... The set is pretty obvious, with Surf over Boil Over seeing as I already have Will-o-Wisp. Thinking about replacing it with Toxic for beating the occasional sun team, but without it I can't do jack to Nattorei, who usually sets up expecting me to switch out, getting burned in the process. I feel like there's a lot of lost potential here, though. I really do wish it had a boosting move...

Garchomp

@Choice Scarf
Sand Veil
Adamant (+Atk, -SpA)
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Brick Break
- Double Chop

The first of my sand abusers. Once again this gen, Garchomp shows us he's still a hideous threat to watch out for. With three moves he gains perfect coverage (I originally ran Fire Fang over Brick Break, but it just wasn't working as well and Tyranitar had Fire Blast for the Steels anyway), and the last slot was up for grabs. Now, you may question why I have Double Chop of all things in there; Basically, it's a brilliant alternative to Dragon Claw, as even with STAB they effectively have the same BP, except Double Chop has that sub-breaking possibility. Also, it beats those stupid annoying FEAR pokemon that everyone hates. With a scarf and his trollish base 102 speed, he outspeeds a great portion of the metagame and KOs, and Sand Veil's accuracy reducing powers give some useful hax at points.

Randorosu

@Life Orb
Sand Power
Jolly (+Spe, -SpA)
4 HP/ 252 Atk / 252 Spe

- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Brick Break

The second of my sand abusers, who's a bit more of an abuser than Garchomp. After a Swords Dance, this thing hits an incredible 698 Atk, and with a Sand Power boosted Stone Edge or a similarly boosted STAB Earthquake, not to mention that almost as trollish as Garchomp base 101 Spe, it becomes a very real threat. Also, even with stealth rock damage, Randorosu can come in on an unboosted Doryuzu, survive his Rock Slide and OHKO back with Brick Break. That's pretty something.

---------------------------------------

So that's the jist of it! I'm finding my team's a bit too physically orientated, however, but most of my team is nigh-on irreplacable. I would very much like another mixed sweeper that still can abuse sandstorm... in any case, suggestions please!

This is a nice team, and there's not much to suggest here except running Superpower over Earthquake on Tyranitar. This will generally hit what you need to hit with Earthquake harder, including other Tyranitar. Also I'd suggest Fire Blast over Brick Break, which serves no purpose. (STAB SE Earthquake does the exact same damage as a 4xSE base 75 move). It allows you to hit Skarmory harder (2HKO on physical Skarmory, which is the only viable set in this meta), which really helps your team. You don't even need to switch from a Jolly nature.

One thing that i personally would change, is to swap the Rando and Garchomp sets.
Imo Chomp makes a better SD poke, and Rando makes a better scarfer.
Give Rando U-turn, HP-Ice, EQ, and Stone Edge. (oh and change nature to Naive).

phoenix, I think it's more useful to have the scarf 102 because scarf dragons run amok in the metagame. I really don't think there's too much bad to say.

This is a nice team, and there's not much to suggest here except running Superpower over Earthquake on Tyranitar. This will generally hit what you need to hit with Earthquake harder, including other Tyranitar. Also I'd suggest Fire Blast over Brick Break, which serves no purpose. (STAB SE Earthquake does the exact same damage as a 4xSE base 75 move). It allows you to hit Skarmory harder (2HKO on physical Skarmory, which is the only viable set in this meta), which really helps your team. You don't even need to switch from a Jolly nature.
Thanks for the suggestions! Superpower on Tyranitar is a great idea, seeing as it switches out so much... I'll add that to the OP. And Fire Blast on Randorosu... I think I'll skip that, as mainly Brick Break is there for Balloon Doryuzu, which is an OHKO after an unboosted Rock Slide.

Thanks for the suggestions! Superpower on Tyranitar is a great idea, seeing as it switches out so much... I'll add that to the OP. And Fire Blast on Randorosu... I think I'll skip that, as mainly Brick Break is there for Balloon Doryuzu, which is an OHKO after an unboosted Rock Slide.
I'm glad you like my suggestion of Superpower, but I'd just like to note that I was suggesting Fire Blast over Brick Break for Garchomp, not Landlos (who doesn't learn it).

Randorosu should really be using HP Ice with a Naive nature over Brick Break. Brick Break honestly doesn't let you beat a whole lot and is usually just used to break Balloons. HP Ice allows you to smash right through Gliscor, Randorosu's most used counter, and it seems to trouble your team quite a bit, so it would work quite well. A even better choice though iss to change Randorosu to a Rock Polish varient. In the current metagame, Swords Dance Randorosu won't really work that well against a majority of the teams (stupid Rain teams >_>), being outsped and KOed, but Rock Polish lets Randorosu turn the tables on those Pokes and KO them with a rediclously powerful Earthquake (he 2HKOes lots of bulky things without any setup), Stone Edge to handle flyers that would take HP Ice, and HP Ice allows you to smash Gliscor and have a 100% accuracy attack against Skymin. Another change is to run Stone Edge over Payback on Roobushin. Stone Edge makes sure that Flyers can't come in and get free attacks on you, and the Ghosts and Psychics you hit with Payback can be handled with Stone Edge with enough Bulk Ups.

You really need Stealth Rock on this team. it stops lots of threats from just switching in and out and weraking havoc on your team. But considering I don't want to replace any Pokes on your team, you should place them on Tyranitar over Superpower. I know this may seem rediclous, but you really need that residuel damage badly. You could also chnge his nature to Lonely, put 8 Speed EVs, and change Pursuit to Crunch, but thats not as important as getting Steath Rock on the field.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)