1. GET SMOGON SHIRTS HERE! First time ever. Limited time only & next time the design will be different, so get it while you can!
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  3. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Our policy on making policies.

Discussion in 'Inside Poop - April Fool's Day 2011' started by cookie, Feb 27, 2011.

1. cookie

cookie Adominnustrata
    is a Super Moderatoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributor
    Soc. Forums Leader

Forgive me for stepping on anyone's toes but this has to be done. We've already decided on how policies are put into action, and the legitimacy of those decisions are not being called into question here. Rather, the process of making policies. Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to advocate that we maintain some sort of status quo because I realise the need to evolve, but we cannot just have people making policies left and right with gay abandon. Gay abandon has never been a good thing, as evidenced by the shitstorm that ensued when we banned Jrrrrrrr. If people just propose policies "because they feel like it" or "it seemed like a good idea at the time" we're going to be inundated with policies, many of which being superfluous and becoming an ever-increasing time sink as we debate them. Have you seen the shit that I have to put up with in a forum and in private messages? Last night I had a 20-message conversation with a user claimed that closing his thread was in breach of the Geneva Convention. I do not have the time to go around debating about tiny little tweaks to the metagame; I (and many other staff members here, I suspect) have bigger fish to fry.

Let's look at the latest policy review: "We need more transparency in the forums". Did the proposer even consider the heated debate that would occur from this? On one hand, you have the shady moderators who don't quite do stuff by the book vehemently opposing it, while on the other you have the uber-liberal celery-munchers explaining how we need democracy. Among all this you have Deck Knight making dubious links between the topic at hand and abortion to avoid actually posting content. What does he think this is, The Onion? It may as well be, it's already made me cry with laughter to think how many times our bureaucratic process has been bogged down by such inane discussions. So in the end, we have a big hoo-ha over a policy that someone impulsively proposed, distracting staff from real issues such as the culling of milestone threads and keeping Nintendo off our backs while they try to sue this site for every penny it has.

My suggestion is a simple one: if you want to propose a policy, post a thread acknowledging that you are suggesting to propose this. This way, we can discuss in a constructive manner whether the proposal of this policy is actually worth our time. After the preliminary discussion we will then put it to a vote. If the voting criterion is achieved, you may propose your policy.
  2. jc104

jc104 Humblest person ever
    is a Contributor Alumnus

Should you not have posted to suggest your suggestion of suggesting policies before you suggested it?
  3. franky

franky
    is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

makes a valid point..
  4. tennisace

tennisace
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
    Social Media Chief

Well he's proposing the proposal of his proposal to propose proposing policies, and since his proposal hasn't gone into effect yet, he doesn't have to propose the proposition to propose the proposals of policies before you propose the policies yet.
  5. cookie

cookie Adominnustrata
    is a Super Moderatoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributor
    Soc. Forums Leader

precisely
  6. Seven Deadly Sins

Seven Deadly Sins ~hallelujah~
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

As an amendment to this suggestion, I propose that we add a "Policy Review Review" subforum for Policy Review. This forum will be used in order to debate whether or not we should have a debate on a topic, thus streamlining the actual debate in Policy Review. I think this is an important next step in our policy discussion, and will endure that things run as smoothly as possible.
  7. jc104

jc104 Humblest person ever
    is a Contributor Alumnus

I stand corrected
  8. monkfish

monkfish what are birds?
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

i know people say we are getting a little too "beaurocratic" but when you think about it, this idea really makes sense. it is gonna save people a whole bunch of time, down the line.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)