Out for a Zog- VGC 2012 Warstory

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, its TheCalmSnivy, and I’m here with my Long Beach VGC Warstory! It was my second VGC event, and after a decent rookie year in 2011, I was ready to play again. On to the team!

aradiabot (Metagross) @ Occa Berry
Trait: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Bullet Punch
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Protect

pantskat (Scrafty) (M) @ Chople Berry
Trait: Moxie
EVs: 164 HP / 252 Atk / 92 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Drain Punch
- Fake Out
- Crunch
- Taunt

Zapdos @ Sitrus Berry
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Heat Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Tailwind
- Protect

moof (Ludicolo) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Swift Swim
EVs: 164 HP / 252 SAtk / 92 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Fake Out
- Ice Beam
- Giga Drain
- Scald

Heatran (M) @ Shuca Berry
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 228 HP / 252 SAtk / 28 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Heat Wave
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Earth Power
- Protect

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Surf
- Psychic
- Dragon Pulse
- Protect

Special thanks to Muffinhead and Metabou for half my team. Couldn’t have won without your Pokémon!

I first started playing VGC 2012 about a week after Worlds with a standard Rain team. It wasn’t working for me, and I don’t like weather based teams in general, so I decided to go with general Goodstuff. I know the six mons are painfully common, but they got they work done, and that’s what I wanted. Originally, I was using Abomasnow, but on Friday night I had changed to Ludicolo. It was a STRONG decision. Ludicolo was used in every battle on Sunday, and without a doubt, is the team MVP.

I wake up at 6:30 on Sunday morning, and after two pieces of butter toast and some last minute prep, my mom drives me off to the Convention Center. I arrive and immediately spot V17 and kingofkongs. We talk and wonder when the heck Maski will show up for about 45 minutes. Maski gets to the center at 9 (i guess??). We talk as a group and Huy gives us free cards. I get a Tirtouga (damn it i forgot what i did with it), while kingofkongs gets two Garbodor. Also somewhere in between kok, maski, v17, and I become TEAM HOT BABES OUT JOGGING, and vow to all reach top 4. The final registration for Seniors division is put up, and after the tournament organizer goes over the rules, its time to battle.

Ingo and Emmet battle outside the subway!

My round 1 opponent is Joshua Popoff, a kid who can’t be more than 11 years old. It was his first tourney, and he had gotten pretty down after he found out I competed at Worlds in ’11. The tournament staff registered his cart wrong, so our battle didn’t start until they fixed it about 10 minutes later. I remember he had Tyranitar and Flygon, but that was about it, as I 4-0’d him.

V17 thinks over his moves during round 1.

Round 2 is a rematch of my first Swiss round at Worlds last year; I’m playing Kamz. I think it is fair to say the hax gods were smiling at me on Sunday. I got two well timed crits and a Draco Meteor miss as I went on to a 3-0 win against his rain team. My Moxie Scrafty also got to +3 Attack during the match iirc.

All four of the HOT BABES OUT JOGGING (yes you need caps everytime) are 2-0 now, so we’re staring to wonder when we might play each other.
Round 3 pairings go up, and iirc my opponent was named Jacob (he might lurk here, not sure).
He had a Hitmontop-Tornadus lead, and I led with Ludicolo and Latios. I assumed my Ludicolo would outspeed his Hitmontop, but it did not, as Ludicolo was faked out and he got up the tailwind. I stall it out, losing two Pokémon in the process. My timid Zapdos outspeeds his Hydreigon, avoids a Draco Meteor to the face, and I get off a Tailwind at turn 4. HP Ice Heatran picks off Garchomp and Zapdos KO’s his Hydreigon. His Hitmontop falls easily next turn, and I win, 2-0.

TEAM HOT BABES OUT JOGGING pauses for a photo-op.

There are only four 3-0 players left, and TEAM HOT BABES OUT JOGGING are those four players. My round 4 is vs Collin Bos (V17), and oh my god did I hax him badly.
He led with Weavile and Togekiss, and that totally counters my Scrafty-Zapdos lead. Both my leads are gone in two turns, while he’s barely taken any damage at all. I send in Latios and Ludicolo, needing a miracle and that’s exactly what I get. Fake Out then a crit Surf knocks out Weavile. The next turn, Latios’s Draco Meteor finishes off Zapdos, and another critical hit Draco Meteor knocks out Togekiss. He is down to his Swampert, and adding insult to injury, Ludicolo’s Ice Beam freezes it. I end up winning 2-0. After the match I apologize a bunch of times for the hax.
Maski wins her round 4 match against kok, so it’ll be her vs me in the finals.

Since I have the video saved (the battle vid # is 51-76534-61815), the description will be a lot more in detail.
Turn 1: I lead Ludicolo-Latios, she leads Hitmontop-Zapdos. It’s a simple turn, I fake out Zapdos, she fakes out my Latios.
Turn 2: I know from testing on PO that Hitmontop is a huge annoyance to my team, so I want it out the picture immediately. I know I can survive an unboosted Sucker Punch, so I go for the Psychic. Latios does get hit with Sucker Punch, bringing him down to 15HP after LO recoil. Maski Thunderbolts my Ludicolo; I thought she would Tailwind in this situation, but I predict wrong (and no Tailwind helps me out qiute a bit). Ludicolo’s Ice Beam brings Zapdos to about 35%.
Turn 3: She sends out her Jellicent. Her Zapdos uses Detect, nulling the Psychic I was going to use, and Ludicolo’s Giga Drain does about 65% damage to Jellicent, but Cursed Body activates. Water Gem Water Spout easily picks off my Latios, and its 3-3.
Turn 4: She recalls her Zapdos, switching into Cresselia, while my Zapdos t-bolt finishes off the Jellicent. Ludicolo Ice Beam does about 8% to Cresselia.
Turn 5: Her Zapdos is back out, and is promptly killed by another Thunderbolt, while Scald just dents Cresselia, who sets up Trick Room
Turn 6: I start to Scald spam with Ludicolo, as its my best attack, and Cresselia starts to Calm Mind set up. I am totally freaked because my last Pokémon in the back is Heatran, a special attacker. I do ease up when I remember seeing the Sitrus Berry being used, as that means Rest is not on the set.
Turn 7: Scald and critical hit Thunderbolt finish off Cresselia. I win 3-0.

So I’m 5-0, which means I’ve got first place locked up. I was fairly sure all four of the HOT BABES OUT JOGGING made top four, but we waited for final standings just to be sure.

and we did.

I negotiate my multi-million dollar prize with the staff after taking first place

(hahahhaa)

After we get our paperwork, V17’s dad treats us to Five Guys, and it was really nice. From there we hung out at his house and played Gamecube and a game called Munchkin, where I cut stuff up with my Chainsaw of Bloody Dismemberment. At about 6 pm, my mom drives me back to Riverside and I get ready for school tomorrow.

Props and Slops
Props
Muffinhead and Metabou for half my team
TEAM HOT BABES OUT JOGGING making top 4
Parents for their continued support of Pokémon
V17 for being super cool, even thought I totally haxed him
TPCi for the changes they are working toward
Slops
I got super lucky during battles
The atmosphere was a little lacking :/

I think that’s just about it- thanks for reading!

See you in Indianapolis!

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Awesome that all four of you got either the $600 or trip! Congratulations on winning and maybe I'll see you all this year at Nationals!

Congrats Matt! I think it's pretty incredible how you guys all managed to T4 and avoid playing each other until the end.
A well deserved win, see you at Nationals!

i guess brackets really do work out in seniors :O

congratulations team HOT BABES OUT JOGGING and especially Mr. Matt Snivy for being a boss (and then Collin for being a Bos)

its ok i totally haxed matt at worlds it was pokemon's way of giving back to him

i'd love to see that match uploaded if you could matt :D

soul_survivor

VGCPL Champion
Wow all 4 of ya made it. Incredible work. Wow can't believe i missed this. Congrats and goodluck at nats. Hope to see ya there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)