OUTC Round 2 (Entries Open, see post #94)

Status
Not open for further replies.
OU Teambuilding Competition

Hey everyone :) This is a new project I will hopefully be running and updating weekly, barring mod censorship or fatal RL accidents. Let me explain how it works briefly and then we can get started.

Teambuilding for me is the best part of the game. It rewards creativity and intelligence, unlike actual battling which rewards luck and mindless offense; which is why I felt like the Overused forum could use a new teambuilding game. The CCAT threads are cool but they fall down in trying to get us to cooperate, basically. Therefore, I'm throwing cooperation out the window. Here's how it works.

Every round, I will be picking a core of two Pokémon. You clever teambuilding boffins go away and then come back with a completed team. Once entries are closed, the community will vote on which user's team was the most innovative and well put together, the winner gets the honour of having their name and entry immortalised in this original post, and then we move on to the next round. Hopefully we can also get some good discussion going during the process about the teams submitted and the core itself.

Rules

- Entry Submission: Okay, a team importable in HIDE tags coupled with a description of your teambuilding process is the minimum here. Pictures are really helpful.

- Disputes / Copying: Obviously, there is potential for disputes over copying or people making similar entries. In general, if your team entry has the same Pokémon and similar movesets to an earlier entry, it will be disqualified. If anyone tries to abuse this by reserving an early post in the thread for their entry, please bring it to my attention and they'll be disqualified.

- Discussion and Team Changes: One part of the process is to have discussion about the teams and the core. While I'd like to keep this from being a speedy RMT thread, suggestions of improvements to entered teams are allowed. In the interests of fairness though, I'd ask that any suggestions don't involve anything more major than moveset changes, and that if you've already submitted a team you won't change the Pokémon in it. Basically, just be sure that you're happy with the team before you post.

- Fairness: Last rule, user Lavos Spawn is not allowed to win consecutive rounds.

Time for an example. Say the two Pokémon chosen are Tentacruel and Heatran. An entry should look like:

Hippowdon (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 180 Def / 76 SDef
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Roar
- Slack Off

Ferrothorn (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 SDef
- Leech Seed
- Spikes
- Power Whip
- Thunder Wave

Heatran (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Lava Plume
- Toxic
- Protect
- Roar

Stoutland (F) @ Choice Band
Trait: Sand Rush
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Frustration
- Wild Charge
- Superpower
- Pursuit

Tentacruel (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Rain Dish
EVs: 252 HP / 180 Def / 76 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic Spikes
- Knock Off

Latias (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Dragon Pulse
- Refresh

/example teambuilding process - I always feel like I need weather in this metagame, even though Tentacruel and Heatran are great checks for Rain and Sun respectively. My first instinct was to go for Hail, since both Tentacruel and Heatran are commonly used in it and synergise well with Abomasnow / Kyurem, but that core has been done to death and doesn't allow for much creativity. Sunstall was possible but I decided to go with a defensive Sand team because it's much less restrictive. I chose Hippowdon as my inducer because it covers Heatran and Tentacruel's physical weaknesses nicely. Latias was added because I needed a counter to Breloom, Keldeo and Lando, I didn't want to use something like SpDef Zapdos because of the extra pressure on Tenta to Spin in sandstorm, and Celebi never really does much for me. Ferrothorn gives me another solid Water and Dragon resist, more hazards and makes me less vulnerable to Rotom-W+Tyranitar cores. Finally, Stoutland was added to clean up after hazards have taken their toll, revenge the likes of Landorus or Dragonite if needed, and trap Latios since Heatran + Ferro are vulnerable to it if it predicts well.
No excuses for badly formatted entries now =P That's just about everything... oh and this is my first non-RMT thread, so any suggestions for improvements would be really appreciated.

Hall of Fame

Dice (post #7):

Round One

+

Entries will close 21st June at 12pm (GMT+8)

i'm gonna go ahead and say that if you're doing this, give an explanation of how you came up with the team, it'd make the thread more useful for players needing inspiration on teambuilding, and it gives better mindset during whenever the tc's voting stages are, rather than just being a deposit of teams without much discussion.

Neliel

Sacred Sword
Shouldnt it better to send our teams via mp and then posting them at the end of the round?

kd - Yeah actually I included that in my draft but forgot to write it in, thanks! Updated the OP.

Neliel - I didn't think so, but I'm open to persuasion. The main reason is that if entries are submitted here, people are much more likely to read through them and see the justification behind them - if I just postdump them all when the round is finished, the thread will be dead for a week at a time, and I can't see people reading through all the entries if they're crammed into one post.

Neliel

Sacred Sword
ok then, my problem was that copying often isnt intentional and with gyarados+forre i can see everyone using a rain teams that are often the same.

I see it from the opposite perspective, actually. If no-one knows what everyone else is posting, they'll tend to go for the same option; but if the guy before me had posted a bulky Rain team, I would know I couldn't make the same team and branch out with something else. Forry + Gyarados really doesn't limit your options much in terms of teambuilding. If we do hit the kind of problems you're talking about I'll change it to a PM-entry for the next round.

Ok, this looks like a fun idea.

|
|
|
|
|

Abomasnow (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Snow Warning
EVs: 188 HP / 252 Atk / 56 SDef / 12 Spd
- Protect
- Focus Punch
- Leech Seed
- Ice Shard

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 20 Def / 216 SDef / 20 Spd
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Body Slam
- Wish
- Iron Head
- Fire Punch

Forretress (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Overcoat
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Def / 240 SDef
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Toxic Spikes
- Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Volt Switch

Kyurem @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 56 HP / 216 SAtk / 236 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Substitute
- Roost
- Blizzard
- Earth Power

Gyarados (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 176 Def / 84 SDef
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Waterfall
- Roar

Landorus-T (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 144 Def / 116 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]

I decided to take the Gyarados + Forretress core and incorporate it into a hail team. When I first saw the OP, I saw the potential that Gyarados and Forretress had in a more stall-like / balanced team, and I decided to use it in hail. I've been itching to try out Overcoat Forretress recently, so this gave me an excuse to do so. From the inception of the team, the basic strategy I had in mind was to use SubRoost Kyurem along with Toxic Spikes Forretress in hail. Forretress provides both kinds of Spikes on the team so I can set them based on what my matchup is. At first I had Gyro Ball in Spikes's place; however, after looking over the team before posting it, I saw that I really didn't need Gyro Ball. I already had two Intimidate users for Physical attackers, so I just added Spikes to give my team more passive damage. A specially-inclined EV spread allows Forretress to set up on basically any non-Fire type in OU so I can support a Kyurem sweep later in the game. Abomasnow on the team is the primary way of breaking opposing stall. The set may seem odd, but I needed a way of breaking opposing Skarmory while having bulk. A Mixed set doesn't provide this, but simply adding Focus Punch over Wood Hammer to hit Skarmory as it Roosts or Tyranitar and other random Pokemon on the switch is really nice. Ice + Fighting has very good coverage. I've used this Abomasnow set before and it helps a lot. Abomasnow makes the team less vulnerable to boosting Dragons due to the fact the team lacks a Scarfer, and this is invaluable as well. Jirachi is the primary special wall and it can provide paralysis to things that aren't affected by Toxic Spikes. Take Lati@s or Reuniclus as an example. Jirachi takes on pretty much any Special Dragon with relative ease, and it can provide Wish support to bring back Forretress or Landorus-T to life. I looked at my team and found it to be pretty Forretress and VoltTurn weak, so I added Fire Punch to make Jirachi a lure of sorts. Kyurem is what the team was based around having sweep, and it is just too good in hail with Pressure and Blizzard. It has practically perfect coverage, and it can just SubRoost spam versus certain Pokemon with Toxic Spikes down to stall them out. It's the primary Rotom-W check since Abomasnow lacks a grass STAB and is easily burned. I made Gyarados a RestTalk defensive set to check Keldeo, Landorus, Scizor, etc. consistent. It abuses hazards by phazing out threats and making them take more damage from the hazards and hail. It's one of the most important members, so keeping it alive through RestTalk and Wish support is crucial. Lastly, Landorus-T is the Stealth Rock setter and second Fighting-resist. Landorus-T and Gyarados form a dual-Intimidate core which makes Physical attackers cry. Landorus-T has HP Ice for Garchomp and I find it to be much more effective that Stone Edge. It can outspeed Toxicroak with the give EV's which give the rest of the team some trouble. Landorus-T also acts as the primary Tyranitar counter. In conclusion, though I barely tested it, I think it's a nice Hail team that can take on the metagame pretty well.

Neliel

Sacred Sword
After some hours of testing here is my team.

Breloom @ Focus Sash
Trait: Technician
Jolly Nature
IVs: 30 SAtk
- Swords Dance
- Spore
- Bullet Seed
- Mach Punch

Gyarados @ Lum Berry
Trait: Moxie
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Bounce
- Waterfall

Salamence @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
- Dragon Claw

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Fly
- Rock Polish
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Forretress @ Custap Berry
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Explosion
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes

Lucario @ Life Orb
Trait: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Ice Punch
- ExtremeSpeed

well i didnt want to build a rain team because in my opinion forretress isnt the best spinner under rain, so i tried to build a weatherless team. I started with custap forretress because its best "offensive" set it can use, giving nice support to the team thanks to sr+spikes. I didnt want to run sub gyarados because against sand you dont have the recovery of leftovers , so i've just tried a lum berry one with earthquake. I've added dragon dance salamence then and a baton pass set of gliscor (sd/rp/taunt/bp) but it sucked so i changed it for lando-t. sword dance scizor also joined the team because i needed a steel, as well as sash breloom because of that bitch called rotom-w.
Now the lack of a revenge killer was bad, so i scarfed my salamence, and also my double boost lando-t want working well, everytime it had time to setup a rock polish it missed some key kos, so i decided to only run rock polish but with fly, koing celebi (with spikes support, they cant switch so freely) keldeo, latios, breloom(i copied this from silent storm). Then i felt like my team was completely fucked by lando-t, which could stop many pokemon in my team, so i switched scizor for lucario. At first i tried a special agility set for lucario, but the lack of the priority was really bad so i put the standard sword dance set. Too bad skilled people uses fast lando-t, so that ice punch its useless.. thats the reason why i run jolly if you are wondering.
So basically i always start with forretress unless the opponent has a breloom or something that doesnt let me set up, i spam my shit and die. i prefered max speed because i didnt need gyro ball, it really helped sometimes. if you manage to setup sr+spikes you have a great advantage, just be sure you dont let a dragonite do 2 dragon dance because otherwhise you have lost. This team would really appreciate an ice shard user but if i put mamo somewhere im just weaker to something else. Ah, also remember that this team really suffers hax.

- Fairness: Last rule, user Lavos Spawn is not allowed to win consecutive rounds.
By far my favorite part of the first post XD
|
|
|
|
|

Cresselia (F) @ Light Clay
EVs: 252 HP / 148 Def / 40 SDef / 68 Spd
Bold Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Lunar Dance
- Ice Beam

Gyarados @ Leftovers
EVs: 56 HP / 248 Atk / 204 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Substitute
- Waterfall
- Bounce

Forretress @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SDef
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Gyro Ball
- Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Volt Switch

Garchomp @ Haban Berry
Trait: Rough Skin
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Outrage

Volcarona @ Life Orb
Trait: Flame Body
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Bug Buzz
- Fire Blast
- Quiver Dance
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Magnet Pull
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]

This is a team that I made in the genesect era as a sort of test of how semi hyper offense would work in a metagame that genesect, lavos sun, tornadus therian rain, and sand teams running rampant. The result was a resounding success it focused around a pokemon I had been meaning to test in the form of a really underrated set in dual screens cresselia. The thing single handedly walls both landorus incarnate and landorus therian when they were overhyped. The core I focused around was a core that could check genesect and also deal with both sun and rain. The two it hence centered around were gyarados and volcarona both of which are two very scary things to face in the overused tier. The next step in the process of building the team was that I needed a spinner and a stealth rocker, donphan was the initial placement for this spot as it fit both my roles and it seemed to fit fine. Next off I decided I wanted to play volcarona recklessly being able to pound holes early game with powerful life orb attacks and weaken up some of the checks/counters to gyarados. However there were some pokemon that walled gyarados that wouldn't stay in on volcarona unless the people were stupid and the two I thought of were ferrothorn and skarmory; So I threw in a magnezone this would enable me to trap both and kill them off easier. Finally I decided I wanted a dragon on my team and a scarfer as it would let me check dragon dance dragonite and choice scarf salamence easier albeit they were more common a few months back. My initial choice was actually an underused threat in todays metagame with the right support with flygon and decided it was nice to have since I could use a scarf tailwind to give gyarados or volcarona the extra speed they might need to check a pokemon. The team next went into a new phase when donphan wasn't supporting team well enough as it had huge pressure to remove stealth rocks from the field and donphan isn't nearly sturdy enough so I moved to forretress this also gave me a primary resist to dragons. It also gave me a nice volt turn core when combined with magnezone and flygons replacement in hydreigon. However hydreigon to wasn't up to snuff when it just came to it. It was here that I realized garchomp had been unbanned from ubers a few months back and decided to try that out. I then borrowed an idea from the ubers tier haban berry palkia, it allowed palkia to sponge an outrage and kill the dragon back with a special rend. This works the same way as garchomp after stealth rock damage can sponge a draco meteor from nonscarf latios and a 76% chance to live a +1 outrage from salamence at full health. Garchomp also let me forgo my stealth rocks on forretress for spikes as garchomp could get stealth rock and allowed me to rack up more entry hazard damage.​

Hey this looks like fun. It could even end up as a kind of teambuilding compendium where people can just look up their favourite Pokémon or core and see well-made teams built around them. Anyway, my entry:

Abomasnow (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 236 HP / 252 Atk / 20 Spd
- Ice Shard
- Wood Hammer
- Leech Seed
- Protect

EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
- Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Volt Switch
- Gyro Ball

Latias (F) @ Leftovers
- Wish
- Protect
- Dragon Pulse
- Calm Mind

Gyarados (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 168 Def / 92 SDef
- Waterfall
- Dragon Tail
- Taunt
- Protect

Nidoqueen (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sheer Force
- Flamethrower
- Earthquake
- Toxic Spikes
- Stealth Rock

Walrein (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Ice Body
EVs: 232 HP / 252 Def / 24 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Surf
- Blizzard
- Substitute
- Protect

Another Hail :) I've had this team for quite a while, it was originally given to me by a guy called bubblytest from PO, although he had SubRoost Kyurem > Walrein. Basically, the team works by getting hazards down as quickly as possible and then using Walrein in combination with aggressive doubleswitching to stall out opponents. Since I didn't make the team there isn't that much I can say about the teambuilding process - since it's very stallish I'd guess there isn't really much to it except aiming for optimal threat coverage and functionality after starting with an Abomasnow / Walrein core.

TCTphantom

formerly MX42

Thundurus T~Choice Scarf
252 Spa, 252 Spe
Ability~Volt Absorb
Modest Nature
~Thunder
~Volt Switch
~Hidden Power Ice
~Focus Blast

Forretress~Leftovers
252 HP, 184 Def, 74 Spa
Ability~Sturdy
Bold Nature
~Volt Switch
~Hidden Power Ice
~Rapid Spin
~Stealth Rock

Gyarados~Leftovers
88 HP, 200 Atk, 52 Def, 168 Spe
Ability~Intimidate
Jolly Nature
~Substitute
~Dragon Dance
~Bounce
~Aqua Tail

Politoed~Leftovers
252 HP, 248 Def, 8 Spa
Ability~Drizzle
Bold Nature
~Scald
~Ice Beam
~Perish Song
~Toxic

Toxicroak~Black Sludge
244 HP, 252 Atk, 12 Spe
Ability~Dry Skin
Adament Nature
~Substitute
~Focus Punch
~Sucker Punch
~Ice Punch

Jirachi~Leftovers
252 HP, 156 SpD, 100 Spe
Ability~Serene Grace
Calm Nature
~Substitute
~Calm Mind
~Thunder
~Water Pulse

Well, rain instantly clicked, and with the rules, 1/2 of my team was in place. However, I needed a few thing to finalize it. An Electric immunity, a Dragon resist, and a Keldeo Check. I also needed a scarfer, a wallbreaker, and something to take special hits. As such, I chose Toxi, ThunT, and Raichi. Raichi serves as a special sweeper, and throwing out Parafusion is great. Thun T bounces around and weakens the enemy team for my team. Forretress helps annoy dragons and is great utility, pivoting, getting rocks down, spinning, and even surprises dragons. Politoed is just for rain. SubDD Gyara is the best sweeper in the meta not named Landorus. Its hard to revenge, its bulky, and it can set up easily. The main strategy is to pivot around with ThunT, try to pry open the enemy with FP Toxicroak, and open a hole for Raich or Gyara to sweep. In terms of real threats, the main one is Terrakion, as I need to play carefully around his sets, and SubSD ruins this team. Sun can be annoying, but if Tails dies my team is safe. Sand is of little worry, as the only sand threat I fear is Landorus, who can't switch in ever, and only his double dance is scary. Kyurem B can muscle through my team, but it anything has a sub up, he will lose 1 on 1. Latias can be a bitch, especially sub CM. THe teams that mostly fall to this are weatherless HO, sand offense, and stall, provided none of them carry the dreaded Porthos of the musketeers or the blood stained eon...

reserved for politoed / latias / tornadus / gyarados / forry / thundurus-t
am currently adding in stuff but may have to go soon hence

couldn't find a thundurus-t image

Politoed @ Leftovers
Ability: Drizzle
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Scald
- Toxic
- Protect
- Perish Song

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Spe
Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Thunder
- Water Pulse

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 168 Spe
Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SAtk)
- Taunt
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Bounce

Forretress @ Custap Berry
Ability: Sturdy
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spe)
IVs: 0 Spe
- Rapid Spin
- Gyro Ball
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes

Thundurus-T @ Life Orb
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 64 HP / 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 188 Spe
- Agility
- Thunder
- HP Ice
- Focus Blast

Latios @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SDef / 252 Spe
Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
- Surf
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Trick

ok I'm going overseas soon this is a quick bullet point version
- gyarados is weakened by sun and is stripped of recovery by hail and sand, while rain powers up its primary STAB so I picked politoed
- picked def politoed for greater bulk, recovery and to toxic, especially ninetales and ttar
- gyarados is taunt DD rather than sub as it screws sub toxicroak
- forry is phys def to tank outrage, which is the best move to set up on, as well as gyro terrakion.
- subcm Jirachi soaks dracos, as well as set up on many of gyarados counters ie ferrothorn
- thundurus-t provides another win condition by setting up with agility, while OHKOing conkeldurr with thunder after sr, which gyarados can't beat
- latios outspeeds scarf keldeo and OHKOs, and thundurus-t set up can do the same

just asking, are we allowed to randomly comment a team?
I would say go for it, otherwise at the end of the round, it'd proly turn into just a bunch of boldvoting for the best teams with very little critiques. Whether tc wants to allow changing submissions post critique is up to him, but id rather he didn't as not everyone is guaranteed those comments that show what went wrong.

So yeah, feel free to comment on teams submitted ~ I do think the deadline is a bit long though but I suppose a week works fine.

Reserving Ninetails / Gyarados / Forretress / Dugtrio / Venusaur / Whatever filler I decide to use (probably something like Mamoswine)

I'll post it tomorrow or something

Discussion of teams is great as far as I'm concerned. Regarding altering your team in response to feedback, I'm thinking moveset and item changes are okay, but no Pokémon changes. Otherwise keeping track of what's happening, as well as potential copying, gets way too hard to deal with. In other words - when you post a team, make sure you're happy with it first. I'll add a mention of this to the OP as well.

We've got a really nice spread of teams so far, 2 Hail semistalls, 2 Rain offense, 2 weatherless offense and a Sun team. Keep them coming :)

This looked quite interesting so I decided to join this.

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge
- Superpower

Forretress @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Volt Switch
- Gyro Ball

Gyarados @ Choice Band
EVs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 168 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Double-Edge
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Celebi @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 220 SDef / 252 HP / 36 Spd
Calm Nature
- Recover
- Psychic
- Heal Bell
- U-turn

Terrakion @ Air Balloon
Trait: Justified
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Jolly Nature
- Rock Polish
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge

Latios (M) @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Surf
- Psyshock
- Trick

I was listening to this and looked at others teams. I noticed two things:
1. there were no sand teams
2. All Gyaradoses were either Set-up sweepers or phazers

Then I started with choosing between Hippowdown and Tyranitar. I choose Tyranitar as then I can use the Scarf set to kill latios which might cause problems. I used standard Forretress set as I can set up Stealth Rocks up and spin opposing hazards away and I can scout and give free switch ins with slow Volt Switch. I decided to go with Band Gyarados since it wasn't used on any of the teams above and Scarf isn't that powerful outside of rain. Intimidate as it helps Gyarados to switch in on physical threaths. As my team members so far were weak to statuses especially to Burn I wanted Cleric on my team and Celebi seemed to be a right choice as it can switch out with U-turn and helps against Keldeo and Breloom. I needed a late game cleaner and I chose Terrakion quickly. It has good Stabs and with double dancer set I'm not limited to only one set-up move. Then I noticed quite major mistake. I didn't have almost any special attacks as the only ones were Psychic and Volt Switch. I needed a strong special attacker that can take care of physical walls and such. I also wanted it to be fast. Choice was quite clear at this point. I chose Specs Latios as it can fire off powerful meteors and launch tidal wave's. It can also deceive opponents into trading their items.

Well the goal is easy. Weaken enemy team enough that either Latios or Terrakion can clean the rest. Using Band Gyara you just need little more prediction than with the Bulky DD Gyara to be effective. Tough Waterfall is powerful move and It is the move you are most likely going to use most often you can't just switch in and fire off it that easily. What if they have Toxicroak in their team, or maybe DD Dragonite? And you should remember that you can't be certain about their sets in early/mid game and possibly not even in late game.

Neliel

Sacred Sword

|
|
|
|
|

Your team looks solid, i dont have much to say, your abomasnow is quite interesting, considering how often ferrothorns switchs on it. My only critiques are for forretress and gyarados, honestly i've never found volt switch that usefull unless you run a pursuit user to trap xatu/gengar/jellicent, so i would have used gyro ball instead, even if terrakion ect are already covered gyro ball at least kos gengar on the switch and does some random damages if you need to (idk, lets say you are against a sub kyurem-b, isnt it better to break its sub instead of switching into jirachi?)
As for gyarados, every single time i tried a sleep talk something it never satisfied me, once you are asleep its hard to wake up and relying on sleep talk it never a good thing. Considering you also have the wish support, i would use something like this:

Gyarados (M) @ Chesto Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SDef
- Rest
- Dragon Tail / Roar
- Waterfall
- Thunder Wave

Battles often dont last so much that you need more than one rest, and even if you do you still have jirachi to do recover it; thunder wave lets it cripple many things, and in combination with jirachi it forms a great duo that paralizes both phisical and special sweepers. I also think dragon tail is better than roar, unless you have problems with some sub user or you are paranoid about misses, at least dragon tail does some damage and its not taunt bait.

By far my favorite part of the first post XD
|
|
|
|
|

About this, i think your cresselia isnt the best option as a dual screener; sure it has bulk and it stops landorus, however i think that uxie would be a better fit, having access to stealth rock, better speed (while still having near 300 in both defenses) and memento. The set i have in mind is this:

Uxie @ Light Clay
- Stealth Rock
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Memento

Uxie has more chances to setup screen thanks to its speed, and memento its a better move than ice beam, if someone tries to setup on you just use this move and you will have no problem: if uxie happens to stay alive after screens, it can also give you a free setup to gyara or volca.
Now, there is a reason why i think you need to put stealth here, magnezone alone as a scarfed mon isnt the best option, barely outspeeding latios and co. i think a wise move would be to put a scarf into your garchomp, so that you can at least revenge kill +1 dragonite or starmie, as well a ton of other stuff like thundurus, scarf mence, basically anything faster than magnezone, at least i think you always need something faster because you never know what can happen during your battle.
At this point i dont think scarf magnezone is necessary, you should just try the specs one to have more chances to trap ferrothorn under rain, because scarf hidden power fire only does:
252 SpA Magnezone Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn in rain: 116-140 (32.95 - 39.77%) -- 20.56% chance to 3HKO
which isnt enough to get past lseed+protect ferrothorn i think. Or you can also try sub charge beam zone, but i've never liked it much.

Hey this looks like fun. It could even end up as a kind of teambuilding compendium where people can just look up their favourite Pokémon or core and see well-made teams built around them. Anyway, my entry:

I've honestly never tried walrein but it seems a pain to face with toxic spikes support... this team is very well builded, however i think you could try two different things (probably more a personal preference) regarding latias and gyarados. for gyarados, i think you could use the same set i posted for bri (protect under hail doesnt seem THAT good imo) with taunt instead of twave if you need it. For latias, while i like the wish protect set, i think you will never, ever sweep with calm mind, with all the steel types stopping you as well as tyranitar and status, so i would just try a support move like twave or even toxic. Now that i look at it, you dont have a solid switch for latios, maybe you can try a sp def forretress instead of your? other than that, great team.

First thing i noticed is, water pulse jirachi, which isnt the best option imo, because its weak even under rain , only has 40% chances to confuse, and doesnt let you hit things like breloom, doing pitiful damages to thundurus-t, tyranitar dont give a fuck about it so you will lose to it anyway, and finally without psichic you are even more weak to ninetales, which is already a problem for this team. The other problem i see with this team is that your switch in for rotom-w is thundurus, who gets wrecked by hydro pump, so i would change it. Also if you have to use it, put timid instead, scarf salamence and scarf jirachi are still used enough to care about them. Anyway i would put scarf latios instead of thundurus because it would help a bit against sun teams and its an overall better switch for rotom-w, also it has trick that gives your gyarados some chance to sweep locking something into the wrong move.
Lastly, i dont think aqua tail gives you some notable kos, so i would just put waterfall which doesnt miss and can flinch too.​

This seems like a lot of fun.

Forretress @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Stealth Rock
- Counter
- Rapid Spin​

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Dragon Dance
- Bounce
- Waterfall​

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Superpower​

Celebi @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Recover
- Giga Drain
- Psychic
- Thunder Wave​

Heracross @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
IVs: 30 SAtk
- Close Combat
- Megahorn
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake​

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Roost​

I only been using this team for a few hours and it worked great. The job of this team is to defeat my opponent by how their team is built. If they are a stall team then I mostly try to setup with Gyarados because once Sub and Dragon Dance it becomes the stall team worst nightmare. If it is a offensive team then I just try to slow their momentum down until it is the right time for me to setup or sweep their team. Most of the time I sweep with Gyarados, other times I try to slowly weaken my opponent until I can finish there team off with ease. I have 3 methods i defeat my opponent with.​

1. I get hazards down with Forretress and slowly weaken my opponent by U-Turning and attacking them hard with my Pokemon until their team was weakened enough ,so I could send out Heracross and sweep what's left of my opponent team with Close Combat and Moxie boosts.​

2.Other games I wait for a Pokemon on my opponents team that will let Gyarados setup and then I just Dragon Dance and sweep.​

3. If I don't defeat my opponent with those methods I usually win by just attacking hard until my opponent Pokemon have finally fainted.​

This team doesn't have any big weaknesses, but Gengar can be a problem because the only pokemon that can hit it super effectively is weak to its STAB and is slowing than it which means a little trouble for my team. Though I can work around it most times.​

Lavos

Banned deucer.

Politoed (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Toxic
- Encore

Thundurus-T (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Volt Absorb
EVs: 80 HP / 252 SAtk / 176 Spd
- Agility
- Nasty Plot
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunder

Gyarados (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 48 HP / 252 Atk / 208 Spd
- Substitute
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Bounce

Forretress (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 192 Def / 68 SDef
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Volt Switch
- Gyro Ball

Breloom (M) @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 236 HP / 16 Atk / 232 SDef / 24 Spd
- Spore
- Bulk Up
- Seed Bomb
- Drain Punch

Jirachi @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Protect
- Wish
- Thunder
- Iron Head

when i saw the pokemons at the top i thought this team would be super cool to post since it rules. i used it in week 5 (?) of spl and beat esteemed mod vincnumeros with it, because it rules. the team was in fact built in the torn-t era which is why sdef rachi is on it, but it still rules.

okay youre gonna notice some interesting things right off the bat. first, politoed has toxic, which is kinda weird since it's scarfed. however i found scarftoed becoming more and more useless as i continued to run surf>toxic since it would be walled by jelli, gastro, rotom-w, and other toeds, to name a few. keldeo could also switch in easily. i decided to make the switch because it's fairly easy to predict these things and nailing them with a toxic is fantastic. from there on out i wanted to choose a solid defensive core, i have always liked forretress and jirachi so i opted for them (especially since terrakion and torn-t were especially prevalent at the time) but i realized i was looking pretty damn weak to waters and electrics so i brought back an old favorite of mine, the BULKUPBOSS breloom. it wasnt very good during the time but it filled a niche role on my team to destroy stall and late game clean if necessary. the special defense also allowed me to take on rotom-w and keldeo easily. finally, i needed sweepers. i wanted a bulky physical and a hard hitting special, the roles of which gyarados and thundurus-t (respectively) fit perfectly. subdd gyara has always been pretty strong in bw2, and it synergizes well with my team giving me another water resist and ground immunity. thun-t was especially powerful at that time in the game and the double dance set absolutely crushed teams. gyarados is actually especially apt at opening up holes for thun-t to take advantage of, especially against stuff like ttar and hippo which it set up on easily or just hit really hard.

i played a ton of test games with this team before i faced off vs vinc and won them all since this team is a team of champions. as i said previously it won me an spl game and i've used it alot since to pretty high success. it also got me to two different semifinals in smogon bw tours which is cool. fairly historic team for me, representing one of the last good teams i made before i got myself into this shitty slump that i cant break fsr.

vote for lavos y/n

Joeyboy

Has got the gift of gab
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Def
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off
- Earthquake
- Whirlwind

Forretress @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Gyarados @ Leftovers
EVs: 8 SDef / 248 HP / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Waterfall
- Rest
- Thunder Wave
- Roar

Jirachi @ Leftovers
EVs: 176 SDef / 236 HP / 96 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Body Slam
- Iron Head
- Wish
- Protect

Celebi @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Psychic
- Baton Pass
- Recover
- Heal Bell

Stoutland (F) @ Choice Band
Trait: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Wild Charge
- Superpower
- Pursuit

I went for a what I feel is a pretty standard sand stally team with both Gyarados and Forretress. When I saw Gyarados and Forretress my mind lept to Hippo stall. I think because they both serve pretty great roles for that kind of team. So obviously my next member was Hippowdon; I decided to make it the mixed wall one because its seriously just one of the most annoyingly strong walls in the game, and I had thought Forretress and Gyarados would both play the best as physically bulky pokemon. With half the team I decided to cover a couple more bases. Celebi is just such a solid Pokemon right now, serving as the main Keldeo check plus it brings Heal Bell support, which while not mandatory gives me more confidence in running a Rest Gyarados. Next I added Jirachi because again, its a top 3 wall imo, and plus it shares great synergy with Gyarados and Celebi. I saw how abysmally slow my team was and I really don't like that, plus I like having some kind of offensive end game on my teams, Stoutland seemed a natural fit.

The one thing I feel I'm missing is a spin blocker; it might just be my play style but when I pack a lot of hazards I feel I need a Ghost-type Pokemon, I didn't want to use Jellicent as one bulky water is enough for me, and Gengar didn't really fit either. Regardless its a pretty solid, if not very standard team. :heart:

Trainer Au

Insert custom title here

|
|
|
|
|

Abomasnow (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 188 HP / 252 Atk / 56 SDef / 12 Spd
- Protect
- Focus Punch
- Leech Seed
- Ice Shard

Jirachi @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 20 Def / 216 SDef / 20 Spd
- Body Slam
- Wish
- Iron Head
- Fire Punch

EVs: 252 HP / 16 Def / 240 SDef
- Toxic Spikes
- Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Volt Switch

Kyurem @ Leftovers
EVs: 56 HP / 216 SAtk / 236 Spd
- Substitute
- Roost
- Blizzard
- Earth Power

Gyarados (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 176 Def / 84 SDef
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Waterfall
- Roar

Landorus-T (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 144 Def / 116 Spd
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]

I decided to take the Gyarados + Forretress core and incorporate it into a hail team. When I first saw the OP, I saw the potential that Gyarados and Forretress had in a more stall-like / balanced team, and I decided to use it in hail. I've been itching to try out Overcoat Forretress recently, so this gave me an excuse to do so. From the inception of the team, the basic strategy I had in mind was to use SubRoost Kyurem along with Toxic Spikes Forretress in hail. Forretress provides both kinds of Spikes on the team so I can set them based on what my matchup is. At first I had Gyro Ball in Spikes's place; however, after looking over the team before posting it, I saw that I really didn't need Gyro Ball. I already had two Intimidate users for Physical attackers, so I just added Spikes to give my team more passive damage. A specially-inclined EV spread allows Forretress to set up on basically any non-Fire type in OU so I can support a Kyurem sweep later in the game. Abomasnow on the team is the primary way of breaking opposing stall. The set may seem odd, but I needed a way of breaking opposing Skarmory while having bulk. A Mixed set doesn't provide this, but simply adding Focus Punch over Wood Hammer to hit Skarmory as it Roosts or Tyranitar and other random Pokemon on the switch is really nice. Ice + Fighting has very good coverage. I've used this Abomasnow set before and it helps a lot. Abomasnow makes the team less vulnerable to boosting Dragons due to the fact the team lacks a Scarfer, and this is invaluable as well. Jirachi is the primary special wall and it can provide paralysis to things that aren't affected by Toxic Spikes. Take Lati@s or Reuniclus as an example. Jirachi takes on pretty much any Special Dragon with relative ease, and it can provide Wish support to bring back Forretress or Landorus-T to life. I looked at my team and found it to be pretty Forretress and VoltTurn weak, so I added Fire Punch to make Jirachi a lure of sorts. Kyurem is what the team was based around having sweep, and it is just too good in hail with Pressure and Blizzard. It has practically perfect coverage, and it can just SubRoost spam versus certain Pokemon with Toxic Spikes down to stall them out. It's the primary Rotom-W check since Abomasnow lacks a grass STAB and is easily burned. I made Gyarados a RestTalk defensive set to check Keldeo, Landorus, Scizor, etc. consistent. It abuses hazards by phazing out threats and making them take more damage from the hazards and hail. It's one of the most important members, so keeping it alive through RestTalk and Wish support is crucial. Lastly, Landorus-T is the Stealth Rock setter and second Fighting-resist. Landorus-T and Gyarados form a dual-Intimidate core which makes Physical attackers cry. Landorus-T has HP Ice for Garchomp and I find it to be much more effective that Stone Edge. It can outspeed Toxicroak with the give EV's which give the rest of the team some trouble. Landorus-T also acts as the primary Tyranitar counter. In conclusion, though I barely tested it, I think it's a nice Hail team that can take on the metagame pretty well.
I don't have any criticism, I just wanted to say that this is one of the coolest teams I have seen in a while.

I tested it out, and found that it sucks sometimes to not have U-turn on rachi, which is the only change I suggest, although fire punch may be too good to pass up.

Just pointing out, Bulgrom and JohnnyCrying, that you're not allowed to reserve spots like that as per the rules. I'm sending PM's to both of you and I want you to post a new entry for your teams, otherwise I'll have to disqualify you :( Btw I've got no problem with what Homeslice did (reserve but actually list the Pokémon in his team).

Back on topic :) I find it interesting how every team, despite having Gyarados, also has solid backup checks to Landorus-I and physical attackers like Scizor. This is partly just because those are so common, but I also think it's got something to do with Forretress not being the most reliable Spinner, leading people to want another defensive Pokémon to cover Gyara's duties when SR and sand / hail are up. Wish support is really popular so far as well, because both Gyarados and Forretress like it, and synergise really well with SpDef Jirachi / Latias.

Meh, sorry. Will edit later when I have the time I stop testing and find a kind of final version. But here is the base (though Latios might be replaced).

Latios (wasn't what I needed)-> Jirachi (0 offensive power)-> Terrakion, and Heatran (enough sun/Scizor checks are enough)-> Jirachi (hits really like a child)-> Alakazam (good, but skarm is a bitch @focus miss)-> Latios again -> Raikou is cool, and he is by far a better cleaner than Latios.

Nazrin (Gengar) (F) @ Black Sludge
Shiny: Yes
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Disable
- Substitute
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast

Kogasa (Forretress) (F) @ Leftovers
Relaxed Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes
- Gyro Ball

Ichirin (Kyurem-Black) @ Leftovers
Trait: Teravolt
EVs: 252 HP / 92 Def / 136 SDef / 28 Spd
Sassy Nature
- Roost
- Substitute
- Dragon Tail
- Ice Beam

Captain Murasa (Gyarados) (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SDef
Careful Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Waterfall
- Roar

Shou (Terrakion) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt

Byakuren (Raikou) @ Choice Scarf
Shiny: Yes
Rash Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Aura Sphere
- Volt Switch

Here we go.

So I started with the forry+gyara core (thanks Captain Obvious) without much idea for them at the moment. I just didn't want to do rain, because I hate it, and there aren't a lot of place for creativity.
Then, I realized that these two totally shits on Scizor. And who doesn't like Scizor? Ice mons. So I took Cube. Because attacking sets are too mainstream (and CB Outrages are retarded as hell), I decided to try the Sub shuffler set.
I putted both Spikes and T-spikes on forry to help him to stall out opponents, and decided to try the restalk set on gyara.
Then, I needed a spinblocker, Jelli was a bit redundant with Gyara and Sub Disable Gengar is awesome, I just clicked on it.
I needed Rocks, I took heatran to troll sun teams, I needed a scarfer I took Latios to trick stuff and spam DM.
They weren't doing that great. I did a lot of change, and finally ended up with Sash Terrakion (who is more reliable to put these rocks on the field, especially against rain teams, and is a good check to TTar) and Scarf Raikou (A good cleaner, a good revenge killer, and a good way to annoy Skarm, Jelli, Tenta and others, just GIVE HIM VOLT ABSORB PLZPLZ).

For the sets specifial features:
-Gengar is standard, as good as ever (hey most of the Lukes/some Conkeldurr/choice mons/most of the walls, thx for the sub).
-Spikes and spin are mandatory on Forry, and T-spikes are also too useful to be forgot. I liked pain split, because ferro is totally setup bait with it, but I was really too much passive, and as my main check to dragons, it was awful to watch the foe's nite/haxorus going to +6.
-Gyara is specially defensive instead of physically defensive. I found this sporead way more useful than the original. Keldeo is screwed, Sheer Force Landorus is screwed, Volcarona is screwed, Heatran is screwed, Venu is checkable at +2 (+2 Life orb sludge bomb deals like 80%), D-Meteors are tankable (as long as they aren't choice specs bs (you can still live one of thoses), even Hydreigon is screwed if you are healthy enough (DM deals around 60%). And thanks to intimidate, the physical bulk is still "okay" (you still laugh at Scizor, it's the most important). Really, I just love this set.
-Cube is the standard Sub shuffler set with Ice Beam. I finally chose it over Dragon claw, because I missed the coverage and a way to hurt Hippo/Skarmory badly, although spamming hone claws behind a sub and wreck stuff at +3 was cool. If something still wall me (let's say, vaporeon), I can just phaze it out. Of, and he is bulky as hell.
-Terrakion is the standard SRer. Taunt is prefered over SD, because I found the latter totally useless. I just didn't have time to use it, and taunt is good to wallbreak stuff and avoid a bunch of hazards on my side.
-Raikou is the standard (yes, again) scarf. I prefered Aura Sphere, because it's better to clean and an emergency check to Ttar is useful, as well as a way to hurt Ferrothorn, and Scarf Keldeo isn't really a threat for this team (you still outspeed base 100, it's enough).

The plan is generally to lay down hazards while keeping your field clean. SR are really a pain with 2 weakness and a broken sash for Terrak, so I generally spin them asap, on a prediction or even sometimes on a sacrifice. If possible, just don't let your opponent put them on the field, which is doable (unless they have an painful garchomp lead). Then, start shuffling with Gyara/Cube who should wall at least half of the opponen'ts team until Raikou/Terrak/Gengar is free to clean, or Cube is free to faceroll the foe's team with his unbreakable subs.
Raikou is here to revenge, and Terrak is a kind of joker if his sash is intact and something is going wild.

Still trying to get the reqs for the suspect testing with this team, and I would probably already have them if I tried a bit more and if I didn't just screw over a good streak (I just lost against a guy at 1000 when I was at 2000, gg me (and him, ofc)).

Oh, and if you are really bored and decide to try this team, keep the names please (they aren't really that original (lol 6 mons 6 bosses gg), but it's so funny to put the appropriate theme when one of them is sweeping/saving the match (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDNsk2UXYE4 "GO TERRAK SPAM CC")).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)