OUTC Round 2 (Entries Open, see post #94)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't really see the point of breaking teams down into groups of three or four rather than just one to be honest. If I could get them all in one go I would, but otherwise I'm going to be double or triple posting a bit anyway, so I might as well treat the teams consistently.

@Morpheus the 28th of June, sometime late at night my time (GMT+8).

Team 5

Froslass (F) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Cursed Body
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Spikes
- Ice Beam
- Destiny Bond
- Taunt

Garchomp (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Trait: Rough Skin
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Swords Dance

Breloom (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Technician
- Spore
- Swords Dance
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed

Rotom (Rotom-W) @ Expert Belt
Trait: Levitate
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Signal Beam
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Alakazam (M) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Magic Guard
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Focus Blast
- Signal Beam

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Serene Grace
- U-turn
- Iron Head
- Ice Punch
- Healing Wish

I built the team around a potential Breloom sweep, so it was a no-brainer to use the Swords Dance set.

Then I opted for Focus Sash on Alakazam, which in my opinion is the best way to go for it anyway.

Next, to facilitate the sweep, I needed hazards; I didn't want the standard Stealth Rock Terrakion, or Custap Skarmory, after all, creativity is the aim here. With that in mind, I looked around and chose the tandem of Suicide Lead Froslass and Rocky Helmet Garchomp. Garchomp has a relatively easy time setting up Stealth Rock, can put some pressure on early game with powerful STABs and Swords Dance, and Rough Skin + Rocky Helmet puts a big dent in Rapid Spinners and U-Turners. Froslass' good Speed prevents most Pokémon from getting their hazards up, bar the rare Azelf and Aerodactyl, with Taunt, KOs Landorus-T and Garchomp with Ice Beam, and can nab a KO with Destiny Bond.

To further aid Breloom, I wanted something that could lure Pokémon like Celebi and Latias and be able to keep momentum. I initially picked Expert Belt Keldeo, but ultimately settled for Expert Belt Rotom-W, who can easily feign a Choice item, nab a kill on something coming in expecting the Choice item, or just Volt Switch away and keep the pressure on the opponent. I didn't go for Hidden Power Ice because I didn't think my team really needed an extra Ice-type move. Not to mention Hidden Power Fire is useful for Scizor.

Finally, I needed something fast to check certain things, as I couldn't rely solely on Alakazam to revenge kill for me. I also needed a Steel-type Pokémon to resist Dragon-type attacks. With the restrictions I imposed, Jirachi was the best option. Jirachi has great typing, a solid Speed stat which lets me outspeed all unboosted Dragons, a great move in U-turn which forms a little VoltTurn chain with Rotom-W, and Healing Wish to give Breloom a second chance if for whatever reason it gets damaged early on in the match.

Team 6

Abomasnow @ Expert Belt
Trait: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 Atk / 172 SAtk / 84 Spd
Lonely Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Ice Shard
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Protect

Breloom @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Bullet Seed
- Mach Punch
- Stone Edge
- Spore

Alakazam @ Focus Sash
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Signal Beam
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Trait: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spd
Bold Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Knock Off

Garchomp @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 196 Def / 60 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Dragon Tail
- Earthquake
- Protect

Terrakion @ Choice Band
Trait: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- X-Scissor
- Quick Attack

I decided to use to build hail team as Alakazam is immune to hail and it helps while cleaning the weakened enemy team. I also wanted to use CB Techniloom along with EBelt to easily revenge kill enemy teams with good priority moves. I added Tentacruel for spinning purposes and Knock Off and Toxic Spikes are both good on hail team. I wanted to add someone who can take hits and set up rocks, I wanted to avoid Ferrothorn, Celebi, Forretress and Jirachi for quite obvious reasons and Heatran for personal reasons. I decided that I'd use support garchomp as it usually more bulky than opponent thinks it is as most Garchomps are using offensive sets. I wanted more power from physical side and Terrakion seemed to fit this team quite well. I wanted to get some Surprise KO's so I went for CB set with Quick Attack.

- Even tough this team lacks Dragon resist, you can quite easily play around dragons with clever switching and protecting, but once Abomasnow dies it becomes harder to do.

- Hard to switch in especially when Garchomp and Tentacruel are KO'ed or against HO teams.

- Good prediction is pretty much needed for this team to be successful.

- Can handle some set up sweepers well thanks to Focus Sash Alakazam and 3 Priority Moves.

Than there will be no discussion on the teams, which would take away from the project.
i dont see any right now

postcount++ yay, i just dont see a reason not to do it on a daily basis. or if you are worried about treating the teams consistently, just do batches of the same number

i do like this project and hopefully will participate i just think this is a little over the top:pirate:

Yeah, changing to a PM vote did kill off the discussion :/ Mmkay, I'll just combine them into groups of whatever number (treating them consistently honestly shouldn't be an issue), thanks for the input Hound.

Team 7

Alakazam @ Focus Sash​

EVs: 36 HP / 252 SAtk / 220 Spd​

Timid Nature​

- Psyshock​

- Focus Blast​

- Hidden Power (Fire)​

- Substitute​

Breloom @ Fighting Gem​

Trait: Technician​

EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd​

Adamant Nature​

- Focus Punch​

- Spore​

- Bullet Seed​

- Mach Punch​

Gyarados @ Leftovers​

Trait: Intimidate​

EVs: 88 HP / 248 Atk / 4 Def / 168 Spd​

Jolly Nature​

- Waterfall​

- Bounce​

- Dragon Dance​

- Substitute​

Terrakion @ Focus Sash​

Trait: Justified​

EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd​

Jolly Nature​

- Close Combat​

- Stone Edge​

- Taunt​

- Stealth Rock​

Scizor @ Choice Scarf​

Trait: Technician​

EVs: 8 HP / 252 Atk / 248 Spd​

Jolly Nature​

- U-turn​

- Bullet Punch​

- Pursuit​

- Superpower​

Kingdra @ Life Orb​

Trait: Swift Swim​

EVs: 28 HP / 252 SAtk / 228 Spd​

Modest Nature​

- Hydro Pump​

- Surf​

- Draco Meteor​

- Rain Dance​

This is one of my all time favorite hyper offensive teams and it focuses around last weeks hero substitute dragon dance gyarados. Now this thing is not all to powerful unless the right conditions are met, however gyarados provided me with the best offensive check to the landorus tyranitar keldeo core that's running rampant nowadays. So I started off with a wall breaker that would appreciate having things such as celebi removed in the form of focus punch techloom, one of the most underrated sets ever used. It allows me to break through some walls that give gyarados trouble such as skarmory, and ferrothorn. Next off I realized that the team had little to combat any sort of latias or latios for that matter so I threw in scizor but I threw in one that would not lose to baton pass celebii and hence ran a choice scarf spread so surprise latios and even alakazams however rare they are. Then I realized I wanted a way to remove some of the ghost types mainly gengar, and even a way to hit scizor. Hence, I threw in a alakazam this allowed me to hit some important pokemon such as terrakion, keldeo, and mainly surprise scizor. Now substitute is there over shadow ball as it allows for me to force the opponent to play recklessly to break the substitute and more important reveal which of their pokemon is their scarfer. Substitute also allows for me to ease prediction for alakazam and focus more on forcing switches to get more rocks damage. Terrakion was the next fit on the team as I wanted a stealth rocker that was offensive and could put a dent in most of todays metagame and with stone edge or close combat it can do just that. I threw in taunt just to screw with friggin custap berry skarmory as it's a bitch to take out. Finally I wanted a second win condition if I misplayed gyarados early game and kingdra was the best fit for me because it allowed me to change the weather on sun or sand teams and proceed to flat out sweep through whatever they had left at the endgame.
--​

Team 8

houdini (Alakazam) (M) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Magic Guard​

EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd

Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Focus Blast​

thyrannosis (Tyranitar) (M) @ Choice Scarf

Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Superpower​

shockwave (Skarmory) (M) @ Custap Berry

Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Brave Bird​

hemorrhage (Landorus) (M) @ Life Orb

Trait: Sheer Force
EVs: 80 HP / 252 SAtk / 176 Spd
Modest Nature
- U-turn
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Focus Blast​

psychosinosis (Breloom) (M) @ Fighting Gem

EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Spore
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Seed
- Mach Punch​

stonewall (Jellicent) (M) @ Leftovers

Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 160 SDef / 96 Spd
Calm Nature
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Scald
- Recover​

custap skarm + jellicent is a really great way to keep your hazards up and is the perfect start for a hyper offensive team. i decided to build around these two and breloom/zam just ended up in the mix. loom was mainly as a warmup sweeper to punch holes in things that landorus didnt like, but i found it cleaning up a lot more than it was intended to, which isnt a problem for me. breloom + uturn landorus in particular does really well, and coupled with scarftar to eliminate the latis and starmie and the like, it's a tough core to deal with. i mainly stuck zam on there because i needed something to stop rampaging sweepers but didnt want to double up on scarfers. zam ended up fitting really well with the hyper-offensive style of play that the team encourages and is actually a really scary late game sweeper after the opponent has been consistently worn down due to my hazards. ive been using this team for about 6 months now and it's won me many tournament games and ladder matches. undisputed also used it in the smogon tour finals :toast: so yeah thats all i got thanks for reading

Reymedy

ne craint personne
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
That's not the issue.
The issue is, if now someone criticizes my team, I can't defend it (without probably spotting that I'm the team maker).
As a result, I feel bad myself criticizing a random team when the guy can't defend it, and when my own team remains unsigned (thus he can't strike back... I guess).

To put it simply, we need to have people to debate, and all I see here are anonymous teams.
Maybe, just make the voting private (because people would bandwagon aswell when they see X voting for Y's team)?

PS : Houndoomsday, you're being a bit ridiculous, no one gives two shits about the number of posts. Talk about the teams instead, if you really want to provide something to the project.

Ya I'm going back to individual submissions after this round, the PM submissions have just sucked the life out of it, much more than frustration about "name-voting" could have. Anyway, a couple more teams:

Team 9

Alakazam @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Signal Beam
- Thunder Wave

Breloom @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Bullet Seed
- Spore
- Swords Dance
- Mach Punch

Jellicent (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 108 Spd / 248 HP / 152 Def
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Taunt

Garchomp @ Yache Berry
EVs: 252 Spd / 4 HP / 252 Atk
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Fire Blast
- Outrage
- Earthquake

Latias (F) @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 HP / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Surf
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power Fire / Hidden Power Bug

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Def / 208 SDef
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Leech Seed / Gyro Ball
- Power Whip

Basically this team is based around a sweep with Breloom or Garchomp with both of them being breakers to help break down each others' counters. Ferrothorn is a key poke because it acts as a pretty good counter to Latios, who is a big problem for both of Breloom/Garchomp, and can pretty much snag free hazards on any non hp fire variants. In addition to that it's just there as a steel for outrages and shit and a water resist, as well as a nice poke to go with Jelli. Jelli is there to protect my hazards and gave me a much needed Scizor counter, in addition to being a decent counter to Keldeo and help me against rain teams. Latias is probably the weakest link of the team and I considered swapping it out for a Heatran or something but it's still pretty effective, I kind of got inspired to use this after watching a battle in wcop, basically its supposed to lure in Jirachi and wreck it or possibly persuade a Hippowdon to stay in on it and try to Recover off a predicted Dmeteor before getting surfed. Both of these scenarios can really help out Alakazam, as well as Garchomp which needs some prior damage on Hippo to get past it; Latias is also great to bring in any Jirachi or TTar which I could possibly double switch out from into Garchomp, who I can grab an SD with if I've scouted them enough to know I'm safe [or it's too risky for them to stay in on an EQ]. So yeah that's basically the team, I don't have a lot of exp building offensive teams and mostly steal mine but hopefully this one wasnt too bad lol :toast:

Team 10

Breloom @ Fighting Gem
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Spore
- Focus Punch
- Bullet Seed
- Mach Punch

Alakazam @ Focus Sash
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 236 SDef / 20 Spd
Careful Nature
- Body Slam
- Iron Head
- U-turn
- Wish

Gengar @ Expert Belt
Timid Nature
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Kingdra @ Life Orb
Trait: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Rain Dance
- Hydro Pump
- Draco Meteor
- Ice Beam

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 200 HP / 64 Atk / 244 Def
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge

I didn't want to go completely standard, so this team uses 2 underrated sets and 1 underrated Pokemon. I decided I wanted to use Alakazam to sweep and Breloom to be a wallbreaker, which is why I chose the Focus Punch Gem set to hit the Lati's and Celebi hard, so Alakazam can finish them off later, or Breloom can hit them with a Mach Punch. Next I wanted something that could take high powered hits, mainly Draco Meteors and Outrages, so I chose specially defensive Jirachi. Paralyses spreading is nice for Breloom, and he lures in Ferrothorn so I can U-Turn into Breloom or Alakazam. I don't remember why I chose Gengar, but it works fantastic. Expert Belt is an amazing item for him, since he lures in Tyranitar that think I'm running the scarf set. He also has amazing coverage with both Ghost/Fighting and BoltBeam coverage. I also use him to revenge unboosted dragons. Next I wanted something to handle the TTar/Keldeo?Lando core and can capitalize on Ferrothorn being gone, so Kingdra looks superb. He can beat Keldeo and Lando with a rain dance up, and has great coverage. He's also my main Rain counter along with Breloom. In the last slot I wanted something that could take a physical hit well and get rocks up, so Lando-T looked good. He gives me a way to hit Jirachi hard, and forms a nice U-Turn core with Jirachi. That's about it, but I'd just like to stress how fantastic Expert Belt Gengar is. Definitely try it if you haven't.

You could chance the last rule so no one would be allowed to win consecutive rounds. Or you could go further with it, like the winner and runner-up aren't allowed to consecutive rounds.

Just a doubt, could the user for Team 1 please PM George Elliot who can then post the answer to the following question: could you explain the EV spreads on Garchomp and Keldeo? Thanks in advance and sorry for the trouble!

I'm not the creator of Team 1, but I'm pretty sure the EV spread for Keldeo is enough Speed to outspeed Modest Venusaur under sun, with the rest into bulk. I'm not certain though, so don't count on me being right.

Just a random comment but the author of team 3 in the explanation says that he does powerfull damage to Celebi or Lati@s with Focus Punch + Fighting Gem Breloom but the importable doesn't show Focus Punch at all

I'm not the creator of Team 1, but I'm pretty sure the EV spread for Keldeo is enough Speed to outspeed Modest Venusaur under sun, with the rest into bulk. I'm not certain though, so don't count on me being right.
Modest venusaur outspeeds that keldeo spread so it might just be to take specific hits. Again the person who made the team needs to comment on it.

Ps- people need to stop using modest venusaur and use timid for the offensive sets.

Just a random comment but the author of team 3 in the explanation says that he does powerfull damage to Celebi or Lati@s with Focus Punch + Fighting Gem Breloom but the importable doesn't show Focus Punch at all
He never mentionned Stone edge and Reymedy doesn't play that so i guess Focus punch is on Stone edge

i am liking team 7 alot. I seen a similar team that used kingdra and alakazam together... You seem to always have a 1 up on rain teams.

I suggest what we do is determine a winner by voting. The winner is responsible for conjuring up and posting the core for the next round, and then must sit out that round.

I'm liking team 5 as well as team 3.

Team 3 uses an unconventional Alakazam set to great success, and I like the creativity in some of the sets, such as that Heatran.

Team 5 is just straight up cool. An unconventional hazards duo in Froslass and Garchomp, a great unheard of set in EB Rotom-W -- I especially like how it lures out Celebi and swiftly dispatches it, helping out both Alakazam and Breloom.

a great unheard of set in EB Rotom-W -- I especially like how it lures out Celebi and swiftly dispatches it, helping out both Alakazam and Breloom.
Yeah, Ebelt Rotom-W is indeed really cool. I used it for reqs and it can really do work on the TTar/Keldeo/Landorus core if you keep it healthy. Gj to whoever made that team.

Just a doubt, could the user for Team 1 please PM George Elliot who can then post the answer to the following question: could you explain the EV spreads on Garchomp and Keldeo? Thanks in advance and sorry for the trouble!
Team 1's creator says thus:

"Keldeo is modest because scarfers' fights are really rare when playing offense. Usually, you handle scarfers by letting them being locked and taking benefits from that situation. I just left him enough speed to outspeed neutral 100 base at +1. The little extra bulk is really valuable, especially when you have to deal with a +2 Scizor.
If a Scarf Chomp is locked into something, I should exploit that, same goes for Thundy etc. Jirachi Scarf Jolly is shit. 108 are ties, that's not something that i can control, however if I can hit a Keldeo harder with my SecretSword, that's cool. The extra power is really nice, I never looked back (and I got TWave support, Kazam lures Scarfers really well).

For Chomp that's a bit of everything, enough SpA to OHKO the Steel that I need to OHKO (Skarm etc), enough Atk for a defensive Jirachi, enough speed to speed creep something (don't ask me what, I stole that to a friend <.<).
I don't remember for the defensive EVs iirc that was around taking a CB Terrakion Close Combat after SR while having a LO number (using Chomp to scout the set basically). I believe that was also a spread supposed to take a LO Volcarona's hit at +1 if you put the Def in SpD and change the nature.. but since I had Nite, I didnt take road. "
-

I'm not sure about the winner of a round picking the next core, for a couple of reasons. #1, I'm running a pretty stringent set of criteria for the Pokémon I choose (e.g. no core that forces you to use a particular weather, and nothing which severely limits your teambuilding options), so I feel like if I give free choice to round winners, I might just end up saying "no" to a lot of cores. #2 is that it forces the winner to sit out of the next round, which I don't see the point in because it just arbitrarily forces someone who's active and interested in the project to sit out.

On the other hand if you really want to reduce my authoritarian power we could give it a go :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)