Overused ft. BH Cup [Round 1]

Perry

slayer
is a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Overused ft. BH Cup
Approved by Quite Quiet

We all know how Balanced Hackmons works, and we all know the mad potential some Pokémon have when we tweak their movesets. However, there are very few of the common "OU" Pokémon in that tier, which is completely reasonable when you have options such as Mega Rayquaza and both Primal Kyogre and Groudon to use, thus we don't see the potential some Pokémon like the Tapus and the like have as they're completely outclassed by some other Pokémon. What would happen if we were to play an "OU Balanced Hackmons" metagame by merging both banlists into one? This is what this tournament will try to find out!

Tournament Rules:

• All normal tournament rules apply, and you should make yourself acquainted with them. As such, there's a link to the aforementioned thread up in this post;
  • This tournament will use two banlists: that of the OverUsed tier and that of the Balanced Hackmons tier. Anything that is banned on one or another is forbidden to use in this tournament - if you use anything banned on either tier the match is automatically forfeited and it's up to your opponent to accept a rematch or not.
  • Pokémon with a BST > 580 are forbidden from use from this tournament. This does applies to Mega-Pokemon as well: you may only use Mega-Evolution whose BST is lower or equal to 580.
  • Any tier shift/ban that may happen during a round will only take place in following one;
  • All matches MUST be played in the Balanced Hackmons format;
  • Matches should happen either on Pokemon Showdown or Smogtours.

Battle Rules:
Format:
Balanced Hackmons (580 BST cap) - Singles Mode - Best of One (BO1).
OU Clauses: Species Clause, Sleep Clause, Evasion Clause, OHKO Clause, Self-KO Clause, Battle Timeout, and Endless Battle Clause. Additionally, any Pokémon deemed unreleased or Uber is banned and you can have a list here.
BH Clauses: Ability Clause, CFZ Clause, ComaTalk Clause. Additionally, any Pokémon, Ability or Move banned by the BH Council is forbidden from use; you can check them (alongside with more detailed explanations of the clauses) here.
Additional Banlist: Kartana, Xurkitree, Chansey, and Blissey.
Activity: I expect all matches to be done within a week or less, thus activity wins will only be granted when the lack of activity is blatant or similar cases. All matches that do not fit these criteria shall be decided by coin flipping.
Miscellaneous: You're limited to 1 Mega Evolution per team (as per OU Rules), and keep in mind that you cannot start the match already in the Mega Evolution state, thus you cannot change the ability of a Mega Pokémon (this also applies to Pokemon forms that are activated mid-battle, mainly Ash-Greninja). However, you're not restricted to the 510 EV limit, being able to use the unrestricted EVs format that BH follows.

Round 1

acidphoenix vs. SinisterSalamence
Mylo Xyloto vs. sssthegreat
sanjay. vs. morogrim
Quantum Tesseract vs. double switches
KoldKappuccino vs. Yoss
Akashi vs. matthewc20090
JTD783 vs. HeadsILoseTailsYouWin
ScarfWynaut vs. Reviloja753 [act]
Funbot28 vs. Yoshizilla315
Magicks vs. ItsYaBoi1337
ElMustacho vs. parivard
aki0s vs. Metal Sonic
DBW vs. Leooo_33
TheBurgerKing99 vs. implaser
RNGIsFatal vs. MiyoKa
charizard8888 vs. FLCL

The remaining players unfortunately did not make out the cut (5th/8ths Guaranteed) but are welcomed to join as substitutes (there were 7 substitutes, that's quite long for a "waiting" list). Pay attention to the rules, please - if you are unsure what one rules does / says please let me know!
The deadline is Sunday the 9th at 23:59 EDT.

Last edited:

Perry

slayer
is a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
just letting you know that Marshadow was released before the tournament was posted, and thus Spectral Thief is legal and able to be used!
This does not apply to the megas supposedly coming tomorrow, you got to wait till next round to use them.

Perry

slayer
Magicks, your team contains two Tapu Finis, which is, of course, illegal by OU rules. I will let ItsYaBoi1337 choose if he will let you keep the win, accept a rematch, or take the win.
Please, read the rules dudes...

Magicks, your team contains two Tapu Finis, which is, of course, illegal by OU rules. I will let ItsYaBoi1337 choose if he will let you keep the win, accept a rematch, or take the win.
Please, read the rules dudes...
Hey sorry. I think there's some confusion. Normal BH allows the use of multiple of the same pokemon. I think Magick assumed the OU thing just applied with respect to the EV limit & no ubers. I think it would probably be better to use the game as an example of what not do and let him keep the win - or let them do it over again with a warning. The rules are a bit unclear with that regard as it says "All matches MUST be played in the Balanced Hackmons format;", and "This tournament will use two banlists: that of the OverUsed tier and that of the Balanced Hackmons tier. Anything that is banned on one or another is forbidden to use in this tournament - if you use anything banned on either tier the match is automatically forfeited and it's up to your opponent to accept a rematch or not." is also exceptionally confusing.

Just to clarify for future matches. Does this mean only one pokemon can be put to sleep as well? As in normal BH there is no sleep clause. Not to mention almost endless battles are a possibility in BH with well built teams due to the inherent creativity in the format. Applying the rules so strictly will lead to many problems down the line...

Last edited:
[...]
OU Clauses: Species Clause, Sleep Clause, Evasion Clause, OHKO Clause, Self-KO Clause, Battle Timeout, and Endless Battle Clause. Additionally, any Pokémon deemed unreleased or Uber is banned and you can have a list here.
[...]
[...]
Just to clarify for future matches. Does this mean only one pokemon can be put to sleep as well?
[...]
Yes but because of the BH format 2 or more pokemon sleeping can happen by accident (or not).
This may lead to bad things.
Trapping a Pokemon then Encoring (or Trick-choice) it on a sleep move (hard but not impossible) will put to sleep the Pokemon encoring, but the sleep user can't refrain from putting to sleep the eventual switch in. By rules it means that sleep user loses, but he/she had no choice.
This can happen on round 2 potentially.
Magnet Pull Darmanitan vs idk, Magic Bounce Registeel. Darmanitan Tricks a Choice Band, Registeel Spores it. Registeel can literally use only Spore and that is its only option. Darmanitan user switches to something that can fall asleep. Gg.
Not fun at all.

Perry

slayer
Hmm, that sounds true enough regarding the ELMustacho's post. I guess I will be able to decide on a case-by-case basis (as in that case, the user did not really mean to Spore but was forced to by the mechanics of the tournament itself). [sleep clause was mostly added to prevent everyone from just spamming spore, which is different from being forced to do it - and tbh, both players could probs see that there was no way the opponent, in that specific scenario, could do smth different].

About aki0s post, the Battle Rules section mentions that OU Clauses, including Species Clauses, were in effect. While Sleep Clause cases are trickier to handle and I'd require a replay to do it, that isn't one of these. And tbh, I don't get why you mentioned Endless Clause - it's also banned on BH so it's probably coded similarly to PS (and if it isn't, well, you just need to save the replay and the user will lose the match nonetheless).

from RMT (can be checked by roomlogs if needed) said:
%mr. perry: !pick rematch, stay, take win
We randomly picked: stay
so Magicks can take the win, as his opponent asked for a coinflip. However, I ask everyone just to have a little bit of sense: if your opponent was forced to Spore a 2nd Pokemon, there is no need to a rematch (the example above), but if he just leads X Pokémon and spam Spore, he did break the rules. This probably only applies to this rule though, so yeah. If anything, you can reach out to me either on discord (I can be found on Smogon/tours server as @ mr. perry) and I will help everyone out.

I thank both of the above opinions though!

I appreciate winning the coin toss, but yea, it was a bit of a confusion with the mixing of the 2 banlists. I wasn't 100% sure what was allowed and what wasn't when I was building. Sorry for the issues, won't happen again :]

If it helps, only 1 Fini touched the field anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)