Overused ft. BH Cup

Perry

slayer
is a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Overused ft. BH Cup
Approved by Quite Quiet

We all know how Balanced Hackmons works, and we all know the mad potential some Pokémon have when we tweak their movesets. However, there are very few of the common "OU" Pokémon in that tier, which is completely reasonable when you have options such as Mega Rayquaza and both Primal Kyogre and Groudon to use, thus we don't see the potential some Pokémon like the Tapus and the like have as they're completely outclassed by some other Pokémon. What would happen if we were to play an "OU Balanced Hackmons" metagame by merging both banlists into one? This is what this tournament will try to find out!

Tournament Rules:

• All normal tournament rules apply, and you should make yourself acquainted with them. As such, there's a link to the aforementioned thread up in this post;
  • This tournament will use two banlists: that of the OverUsed tier and that of the Balanced Hackmons tier. Anything that is banned on one or another is forbidden to use in this tournament - if you use anything banned on either tier the match is automatically forfeited and it's up to your opponent to accept a rematch or not.
  • Pokémon with a BST > 580 are forbidden from use from this tournament. This does applies to Mega-Pokemon as well: you may only use Mega-Evolution whose BST is lower or equal to 580.
  • Any tier shift/ban that may happen during a round will only take place in following one;
  • All matches MUST be played in the Balanced Hackmons format;
  • Matches should happen either on Pokemon Showdown or Smogtours.

Battle Rules:
Format:
Balanced Hackmons (580 BST cap) - Singles Mode - Best of One (BO1).
OU Clauses: Species Clause, Sleep Clause, Evasion Clause, OHKO Clause, Self-KO Clause, Battle Timeout, and Endless Battle Clause. Additionally, any Pokémon deemed unreleased or Uber is banned and you can have a list here.
BH Clauses: Ability Clause, CFZ Clause, ComaTalk Clause. Additionally, any Pokémon, Ability or Move banned by the BH Council is forbidden from use; you can check them (alongside with more detailed explanations of the clauses) here.
Additional Banlist: Kartana.
Activity: I expect all matches to be done within a week or less, thus activity wins will only be granted when the lack of activity is blatant or similar cases. All matches that do not fit these criteria shall be decided by coin flipping.
Miscellaneous: You're limited to 1 Mega Evolution per team (as per OU Rules), and keep in mind that you cannot start the match already in the Mega Evolution state, thus you cannot change the ability of a Mega Pokémon (this also applies to Pokemon forms that are activated mid-battle, mainly Ash-Greninja). However, you're not restricted to the 510 EV limit, being able to use the unrestricted EVs format that BH follows.

Signups will end this Sunday (07/02) at 23:59 EDT! [it may be finished sooner if we hit a milestone that is unlikely for this tour to get through, though]
Also, the banner was made by deleta, which unfortunately does not have a Smogon account. I really liked your work, thanks!

Last edited:
in in in in in in in in

Also:
I'm not entering, but for the sake of the tour I strongly advise you ban stuff like Kartana. With Zygarde-Complete and Giratina gone, there are quite honestly no walls to Tinted Lens Band Kartana and other things are likely gonna be p uncompetitive as well. Mr. Perry
There aren't walls for things like Kartana. Kyurem-B / Regigigas are going to place a lot of pressure on things as well.

Last edited:

morogrim

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
edit: in if it's changed to bh540

If you want to improve your tour, I suggest changing "OU BH" to "BH540" or something similar. BH is a meta that revolves around BSTs, which is not the same as OU. With this current tour, things like KyuB, Kartana, and Regigigas would be almost unstoppable. In regular metas such as OU, these mons are in OU or lower simply because their movepool/abilities hold them back; but in a BH environment they become extremely good mons that vastly outclass other OU mons. On the other hand, when you limit the BST of the mons used, it would be much more balanced.

My suggestion would be a cap of 540 BST, starting in mega form allowed (if BST is equal to or lower than 540 ofc). There should additionally be a ban on Chansey, Blissey, and Gengar. You also cannot manually mega evolve if the mega has a BST higher than 540. You also would not require OU clauses anymore, so just BH clauses but with the limitations that have already been mentioned.

This is what the new rules would look like should you decide to go with what I said:

Tournament Rules:
  • All normal tournament rules apply, and you should make yourself acquainted with them. As such, there's a link to the aforementioned thread up in this post;
  • This tournament will use two banlists: that of the OverUsed tier and that of the Balanced Hackmons tier. Anything that is banned on one or another is forbidden to use in this tournament - if you use anything banned on either tier the match is automatically forfeited and it's up to your opponent to accept a rematch or not.
  • Any tier shift/ban that may happen during a round will only take place in following one;
  • All matches MUST be played in the Balanced Hackmons format;
  • Matches should happen either on Pokemon Showdown or Smogtours.

Battle Rules:
Format:
Balanced Hackmons (540 BST cap) - Singles Mode - Best of One (BO1).
BH Clauses: Ability Clause, CFZ Clause, ComaTalk Clause. Additionally, any Pokémon, Ability or Move banned by the BH Council is forbidden from use; you can check them (alongside with more detailed explanations of the clauses) here.
Activity: I expect all matches to be done within a week or less, thus activity wins will only be granted when the lack of activity is blatant or similar cases. All matches that do not fit these criteria shall be decided by coin flipping.
Additional Banlist: Chansey, Blissey, Gengar
Miscellaneous: You may manually mega evolve up to one mon, but the mega form cannot have a BST higher than 540.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)