Overwatch - Brigitte used FLAIL!

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Yeah, especially if I select my character first. I get selecting a non support character if you select first but don't be a jerk and pick genji if you are the last to pick with no support on your team.
I'll exactly be that jerk if no one else bothers with team composition and I feel like playing a non-healer. When your only tank is a Roadhog or a D.Va (both not good solo tanks) and then you have 4 offense heroes, I'm not picking mercy or lucio. Fuck that shit. They're not trying to make a good team and neither will I, unless they show they're willing to.

I honestly wouldn't mind a turn speed nerf on the turrets, their damage is fine, but you should be able to flank them and get some free shots off if the turret is poorly covered imo. Genji and Tracer w/o pulse just cry when there's a Torb. Then maybe they can buff his Rivet Gun/HP and make Torb a more well-rounded hero.
That's exactly the point of torbjorn though. He's supposed to be a counter to flankers. He's there to fuck up your genji and tracer who try to annoy the hell out of your team lol. With that said I've taken down turrets with genji by shooting shurikens at it then quickly going behind cover, rinse and repeat until dead. Not the best at it but if no one else will take it down I'll do that. Maybe go up to it and deflect if I need to.

sandshrewz

POTATO
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So.... competitive is out huh???? Also good to hear they're looking into the state of Zenyatta :D

Also I'm curious, how many people have played with other Smogon peeps? Are people interested in a Discord ? Idk what exactly is the interest for groups on Smogon OW.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Yeah I read about that a while back. There's a youtube video of her playing Zarya for like an hour and a half and it was absolutely incredible lol.

Also the hackusations are kinda dumb to begin with. "Her cursor was fixating on enemies a bit too quickly".. Zarya doesn't have a hitscan weapon, she has a projectile and a laser beam, and she rarely if ever used the laser beam, and the projectile is so slow that aimbot is useless for it, you have to lead enemies or predict where they're coming from around a corner or something. I'd understand a wallhack but aimbot won't work for Zarya or Geguri's style of play.

xzern

for sure
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
on zenyatta: I cannot get over how bad he is. I like his concept as an offensive robot monk but he is so horrible. I dont know why anyone bothers to play him with his bad damage, low healing, and tiny health. Even if its as a secondary support why would you use him over mercy/lucio?? Sure hope he gets the buff that he deserves

Im liking competitive so far, but ive heard some other people say that its not so fun. Its probably because the match is longer, maybe it makes the game drag on. I like playing in a group a lot more since having to deal with the random teams and our second widowmaker is sometimes frustrating. I also really wish that they would only allow one of each hero in competitive, multiple torbjorn defense is annoying.

hmu if u want to play some overwatch :0

Zen's saving grace is the Orb of Discord. It effectively gives 150 hp heroes 100 max health (they'll die from a single direct rocket or grenade) and 500 hp heroes 333 max. I kind of hope he actually gets a rework (making him overall stronger) because that kind of damage contribution is busted if your team can focus targets properly.

e: id love an overwatch discord actually

Last edited:

aVocado

@ Everstone
Zen is kinda weird. His saving grace is his damage output compared to Lucio/Mercy... but that's not enough, or it's not that much better to make it a good reason to use it over the other healers. His other niche is his ult, which can honestly save the team's ass from an incoming team wipe or forcing a push at a chokepoint, but that's a bit situational (for the team wipe part anyway) and for the most part Lucio or Mercy can do this as well, with Lucio's ult doing a similar job and mercy just reviving them right back up, while being able to charge her ult so much faster.

Last edited:
Yeah Zen has a worse alt, worse health, and much worse healing then Lucio / Mercy, his Orb of Discord is really why you use him, but it's borderline impossible to justify using him on a serious team in place of Lucio / Mercy because of the flaws, mainly the minuscule healing in comparison to the other two. I read that in an Overwatch tournament recently, Zenyatta was chosen a grand total of 0 times (https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/comments/4q9oei/zenyatta_was_the_only_hero_to_be_picked_zero/). There are numerous ways to buff this character (better movement, better health, better healing, faster damage output, faster reload, orbs lasting longer / working differently / being able to connect to multiple targets, etc), each of which taking him in a different direction. Regardless, a buff really needs to happen imo, and it'll be interesting to see how they buff him.

I'm not to whine about matchmaking hax normally, but has anyone noticed matchmaking is weird in this game? I didn't know what the borders and stars around player portraits were and when I looked them up I found the reason every game was so hard for me because I was playing against level 150s-250s every game. O_o I think it's partly due to getting matched up as the 'single player' in groups with one experienced player and new friends (I haven't had time to play since beta sadly so I'm still level 13), but it's really killing this game for me and making it hard for me to level up. Even where I win, I've fought my heart out but still don't feel like I was more than a liability beyond my heals. I just want to play against people of my skill level :| (I play on the Americas) It also takes me 30s-2m to get in a game at most times of the day, and I can't get matched in brawls. x.x It also means I can't ever play anything but my main (Lúcio) because I can't hold my own against those people otherwise...

Anyone else familiar with this experience or know what might be causing it? I thought it might be 'cause I always dodge Temple of Anubis due to finding it a waste of time, but that's only happened three or so times... and I play out the afk slots I get shoved into far more frequently.

I've seen people in #ow complain about the solo matchmaking (rem in particular). I think the non-ranked MM is just quite poor (and even then ranked MM probably isn't ideal).

Not sure why, it's not like there's a low playerbase.

Last edited:

aVocado

@ Everstone
I'm not to whine about matchmaking hax normally, but has anyone noticed matchmaking is weird in this game? I didn't know what the borders and stars around player portraits were and when I looked them up I found the reason every game was so hard for me because I was playing against level 150s-250s every game. O_o I think it's partly due to getting matched up as the 'single player' in groups with one experienced player and new friends (I haven't had time to play since beta sadly so I'm still level 13), but it's really killing this game for me and making it hard for me to level up. Even where I win, I've fought my heart out but still don't feel like I was more than a liability beyond my heals. I just want to play against people of my skill level :| (I play on the Americas) It also takes me 30s-2m to get in a game at most times of the day, and I can't get matched in brawls. x.x It also means I can't ever play anything but my main (Lúcio) because I can't hold my own against those people otherwise...

Anyone else familiar with this experience or know what might be causing it? I thought it might be 'cause I always dodge Temple of Anubis due to finding it a waste of time, but that's only happened three or so times... and I play out the afk slots I get shoved into far more frequently.
Jeff Kaplan talked about matchmaking before: https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/comments/4p5a63/jeff_kaplan_has_addressed_matchmaking/

Mm

Ty for the link. But it's pretty much stuff that's known to be a challenge in matchmaking all similar games (although hero-based MMR adjustment is great, didn't know that, ty) and I definitely struggle more in OW than other games including ones I'm low level in. If my Australian ping is being factored into it despite the fact I opt to play on the Americas because I am used to playing games at 200 ms latency and prefer decent matchmaking, that may explain a lot though! I also think it's because single players tend to get shoved in with asymmetrical 4-groups a lot and that makes low-level matchmaking extremely volatile. I just played a game on Hollywood with no apparent groups where everyone was within 30 of my level and it was fantastic and reminded me why I bother to try to play :)

aVocado

@ Everstone
I'm not sure if you know this but if you play ranked then you can see who's in a group and who's not. Ranked makes an effort in only putting groups against groups and solo queuers against each other, even if it's a group of 5 against another group of 5, or 4 against 4, worst case scenario will be 6 vs. 5 + a random not in their group, or 4+2 vs. 6, and that's only if you've been qing for a long time. It can be messy when you get a 60 ranked player grouped with a 45 or some shit like that tho lol.

Levels in general don't really mean anything in terms of skill, what it means is how much you played the game so far.

sandshrewz

POTATO
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I wrote a piece about teamplay/general strategies to make use of in case anyone is interested: http://harshbandito.tumblr.com/post/146830554713/how-to-bring-pro-strategy-to-your-pub-matches
To sum it up, hold at positions which are favorable. Team fights are called team fights for a reason, so don't charge in as Reinhardt or w/e just cos reasons. Basically don't overextend.

re pluff, isn't Aus located for the Americas login region, as is SEA etc? You should be able to get AUS or SEA servers rightfully. But then again people have been saying Aus servers are weird so idk. From my own observation, your MMR at low levels is incredibly volatile. So you might be getting matched with players all over the place in skill :c It'll get better as you play more I think.

re Zen. Yea Zen is in a pretty bad position, simply because HP and no evasive skills making him outright worse than Lucio and Mercy at pure support. I like Zen though cos I like multitasking and killing while healing. I'm an aggressive Medic main in TF2 and I trust myself more to defend myself than teammates, which can be done with Zen. Except that 150 HP means you die to a sneeze so you have to kill your enemy in literally 1-2s before they sneeze on you. It can be done depending on the disparity of skill levels.

Also ranked is really horrible. I duo queued with my friend and we literally carried the team all the games. And yet, teammates leave the game even after we held the first point all the way, and also leave when we aren't even actually losing ? Seriously, getting penalized so much for people leaving is dumb. The game should just not register the stats of the game for you if your teammate leave, and count it as a win for the opponent. Unless the leaver is on your group party, then penalize the party with a loss if no rejoin is made. I'm tired unnecessary penalties when you already outdid literally both teams by a fair margin. Not saying we were a pro or anything but it's obvious both the enemy and teammates were below our skill level when you see basic mistakes like feeding happening so frequently. (Also getting gold elims as Zen while lagging throughout the whole match lols).

All these penalties are ZZZ and it doesn't reward you for doing well.

Also ranked 50 plus is a joke. The variance on the distribution on ranks simply isn't big enough. 50s is just full of people who are skilled and unskilled and yet still hasn't been able to sort players appropriately yet.

sandshrewz

POTATO
Curious, do people think if Zarya is OP or anything? I personally think she's fine alone. But if stacked lol it's a bit ridiculous. Probably more of a problem with no hero limit though.

I don't think I ever swore or cursed as much as i did during the first 20 competitive matches, man rhat was frustrating as sin. First of all, I got placed 43 because half of the games my peeps quit and I was forced to play 3vs6 or risk suffering a mysterious penalty. Then the teams of torbs or people not capturing when you open the way, etc.

Oh well I did try a lot of different heroes, isnit me or the meta is heavily tank based with healers, Junkrats and backstabbers like Tracer and Repaer?

remlabmez

@dacopboss
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Curious, do people think if Zarya is OP or anything? I personally think she's fine alone. But if stacked lol it's a bit ridiculous. Probably more of a problem with no hero limit though.
yeah double zarya is pretty nuts. zarya + roadhog is just as good though. when you are the only tank it kind of sucks because getting your shields off requires more map awareness since people are mostly gonna be behind you the whole game instead of next or in front of you. Only minor downside of Zarya I have found is building your ult fast enough in sudden death can be a little tricky

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I believe zarya to be pretty imba right now, because of the sheer pressure her existence puts on your team. If you have one bad player that shoots her once, she's getting 50% charge, which is a few seconds off from 100% charge. 2 seconds is a VERY long time to just take a time out, and in anything but a completely coordinated match zarya's team can easily swing the advantage in it. If zarya ever reaches 100% in a public match, the game is basically over unless you can sneak up with reaper and take her out yourself. Her sheilds remove basically every CC that over half of the heroes in OW use to actually get their kills, and the ones without CC either can't out-dps her or are too frail with zarya's teammates around.

Which is quite sad, tbh, because you can't make zarya herself weaker without making her damage totally useless. Right now the only way to beat her is to retreat for 2 seconds until shields are gone (which is not happening in a public match), and even in competitive she's seen as massively strong. If I were to fix her I'd halve the time that her shields are out, double the rate she gains charge (allowing her to get to 100% off one good shield), and make her charge decay exponentially to ~50% then level off. That way you keep strength at max charge, but can't just constantly hang around the front lines preventing anything from pushing into a chokepoint.

aVocado

@ Everstone
Zarya is fine. You guys think too much about a hero's own powers rather than their weaknesses/possible counters. Think about it, what does Zarya lack/what are her counters?

She lacks range and hitscan, that automatically makes Pharah a hard counter and makes Widow REALLY good against her. Reaper is good against her too cuz he outdamages her that much. Her ult has a slow build up which is a good thing considering it can wipe teams easily... which brings up another point, her ult is mostly countered by Lucio's ult.

Pharah, Reaper, Soldier, and Lucio are pretty much staples on teams right now and they can all counter Zarya's shenanigans, with Widow doing really good and Zarya in general not having that great a matchup vs. other tanks. Roadhog decimates her if her self-shield is on cooldown (but her shield can save her as and possibly get her 50 charge if she gets hooked while not being on cooldown), Reinhardt outdamages her if she's not on max energy I'm sure, and his pin + one swing is a kill on Zarya.

She's not an essential hero like the healers and reinhardt are (who i also think don't need a nerf, besides mercy's ult charge maybe). She's used in specific scenarios/is a niche hero that's mostly only used on attack.

Nah, I'd say what I'm thinking of is the fact that her possible counters are very easily played around with the exception of Reaper who can still be 1v1d if he is not careful. Pharah a hard counter? She is a counter in the way that Zarya will never kill her, but Pharah's rockets have a lot of travel time and can be easily eaten up for free shield charge which can and will destroy the other 5 members of your team. Zarya won't just walk around in the open and is likely sitting with another tank like Reinhardt (who invalidates the Widow counter to a degree) - which means Pharah isn't always effective and only Reaper will actually be able to get into the situations he can wreck Zarya in vs a competent player/team. I highly disagree with Lucio being a counter, Zarya will actually wait until you ult and then gather all the dudes Lucio sat beside to get the ult shield on and then his team gets wiped pretty fast. Even if Zarya ults first, Lucio's shield doesn't stop the shitloads of damage that will be flying at you (Genji's ult, Pharah's ult, plenty of other dudes with high dps just chew everything). Lucio's weapon is the ideal shield charge (besides eating up Reinhardt's Fire Strike) due to the projectile bullets too. Lucio is way better off saving his ult and using it to make a push knowing that Zarya's ult is down. If hardly anyone is able to take advantage of the Zarya ult then ok Lucio can use his barrier, but Zarya walks away with a burned Lucio ult and that has a ridiculously high cooldown. Widowmaker has fallen off a shitload in pubs/ranked (above the low mmrs, snipers are rarely picked) and needs to be in the hands of a decent player (with a team to back it up) to get anywhere. If Zarya is with her team as she should be, then Widow has to be careful who she shoots at or else her frontline will get melted by a high charged Zarya, then you get facerolled. Soldier 76 is...not a counter at all? His damage is simply not high enough to force Zarya away and the rockets are delicious charge. Zarya can stall his ult by shielding her priority target teammates and then 76 gets focused down. Reaper is the best one but if Zarya has high charge due to timing your teams damage against her (or if they are just retarded and shoot the shields anyway) then Reaper can lose the fight if her self shield is back up. Good luck if she is sitting in the middle of her team cuz her shields will really neuter Reaper's ultimate. Tracer and Bastion are better "counters" than what you have mentioned, and they don't always fit the situation.

As for the tanks... Reinhardt will outdamage Zarya most of the time in a close range 1v1, but he can't ult while the shields are around. Zarya can get an easy 50/100 charge by shielding the Fire Strikes he tends to spam. Zarya will also save any teammate that gets pinned from dying and then Reinhardt likely just died for nothing. Roadhog is a soft counter but anyone he hooks will get shielded (if Zarya didn't even shield before the hook landed) and it can go downhill from there. Zarya vs Zarya is nothing short of cancer. D.Va is a borderline troll pick (she has no strong situations that you can viably pick her in that isn't outclassed) but she does ok vs Zarya. Not sure how Winston does but I don't picture it being that great. Zarya's matchup vs tanks is not bad... at all.

No other hero puts out this much pressure in a solo queue environment, and this even seems to extend beyond solo queue play from what I'm hearing. The pro scene is currently ass across the board because tours without a hero limit aren't worth watching and the pro scene needs to develop before I care enough to watch it and take any real opinions from it. Not even pre-nerf Widowmaker in the higher mmrs was this overbearing in the game 99% of the playerbase is playing.

Zarya needs a nerf.

aVocado

@ Everstone
Your post is entirely "if you damage Zarya's shield she gets charge and then she steamrolls your team." If you see a Zarya, don't unload all your abilities on her or she's just gonna shield up. A reinhardt wouldn't flame strike a zarya. A soldier wouldn't right click a zarya on sight, etc etc. As someone who plays Pharah a lot I can confidently say she's a good counter. Rockets travelling time isn't really that relevant when you account for it and if Zarya's getting too close (to either you or your teammates), E her away. This will also break up their group which might cause a bit of chaos for them, which is good for you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)