Overwatch - Brigitte used FLAIL!

when I have more than a couple bad games in a row, I usually just stop playing. the trend seems to be I either go on a massive win streak or lose streak. it depends on how i'm playing that day and if I play like shit for a few games or constantly get leavers and/or dumbass teammates, the trend doesnt usually change for the better and it's probably best to stop playing comp for a bit. i'd never let myself drop more than 200 points from when I started, it'd be way too demoralizing to me to even try to climb back up again and I can usually find a string of good games after an hour or two of quickplay or another game.

sandshrewz

POTATO
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I never liked playing soloq in comp and only did that like once out in a whim haha. There's way too many variables in soloq, and OW is actually a game that you cannot reliably solo carry in. There's a lot of things your teammates can actually do to actively screw you up and cock block you. Things like Ult feeding, etc etc.

To actually carry a worse team in soloq you have to be significantly better than the enemy team and over compensate for your own team's error lol. Which is why I played mostly triple queue because 3 is just nice if you want to go 1-1-1 composition to hard carry, though we occasionally run 2-1 tank/dps-support if the team is really really bad. Overcompensating for teammates is quite annoying imo e_e thus I didn't actually play comp that much either, and basically took fights 3v6 cos why not.

Anyway I've been playing Symmetra lately and am quite enjoying her for her kinda lazy playstyle hahaha. I like using her sentries for map awareness and applying the slow effect everywhere and basically slows down pushes. Usually place sentries in 3-3 or 3-2-1 configs. I keep hearing people that Teleport ult is underpowered or whatever, dies too easily etc. But the thing is, Teleport isn't something you should immediately throw down lol. Play Symmetra like Mercy once you have the ult, very passively. The moment you feel a push is coming I just nope and run away lol. Symmetra isn't going to contribute to a fight anyways. The best thing you could do is prepare your sentries to be in a good position before fights happen so that you can net your team a little help.

If people start dying, that's when to decide whether or not to put the tele. If 1-2 person died, can they just walk back in time, or should you tp them. Just assume that once you put your tp down, it's going to go down after that one spawn wave. It's a pseudo-rez and that's how it should be played. If used properly it can be better than Rez because it's safer and allows for repositioning. Basically don't plonk it down the moment you have it lols. Most people know to kill Mercy first in a fight, but fewer know to kill Symmetra if she hasn't placed the tp yet.

I do feel like her kit is a little underwhelming atm, and many people think that she should be a Defense hero which I quite disagree. Her Teleport is a support ult, unlike Ana who has a DPS ult. Sentries slowing enemies, I would see it as half support half defense. It feels like a rooting spell or something lols. Her shield HP thing is really lazy imo and isn't really skill indexed. It's not too hard to keep track on deaths and who still needs shields, though most Syms probably don't even bother with that.

The shield thing should probably be changed. Was thinking of making it a more spammable but weaker version of Zarya's barrier. Apply a temporary shield on a player that resists damage either to a certain amount or over a certain time. Key thing is resist rather than completely block. The thing with healers in OW is that no matter how much healing you're doing, unless you're Ana with heal grenade, there's is no way you can out heal damage done in this game without a Reinhardt shield. Damage per second on each person is roughly ~100/s whereas the average heal on one target is like ~40hps with Zen/Lucio, or ~70hps with Mercy/Lucio. Ana is the only true viable healer that can deal with the amount of burst damage OW has. I feel like if Symmetra can provide actual useful damage resistance, it would indirectly be a buff to all healers such that their heal output can actually be used to keep people alive rather than as a thing to just farm support ults lol. This way she can be a viable second support by complementing heals, and is rather skill indexed at managing resistance and heals.

Rotating heals in this game is really kinda iffy and doesn't feel good or as rewarding as in TF2. Giving Symmetra damage resistance skill is something that I think would help her and the game. There's other things but that's for another post.

Joim

Pixels matter
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I think the only way to solo carry is being a good dps. On my comeback matches last night, I was playing Zen as usual in Eichenwalde and we weren't breaking in. I said "fuck it, someone take a heal", switched to Pharah, flanked and broke defences and got it to almost second point. Then, I used Mei, ulted a ton of times and we won 1-0.

sandshrewz

POTATO
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I went to test Roadhog's hook with the help of a friend and posted it on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/comments/52lhb3/long_testing_roadhogs_hook_hit_registration/

I basically got annoyed at the misinformation and wrong popular opinion that kept getting posted and bandwagoned so I decided to go ahead and test it. Smogon OW thoughts on hitscan/projectile ? I am fairly sure that it is hitscan with a super low probability of it being actually projectile.

Also TIL that Tracer's blink might actually have immunity frames. Not too sure though but that seemed to be the case since her blink actually repelled hooks from both mine and my friend's perspective; the hook clinged onto but unhooked itself from Tracer mid blink e_e

sandshrewz

POTATO
Are you saying Roadhog's hook is a hitscan the same way McCree's gun is?

wut .-.
Close enough. It seems like a more accurate representation is that it's a delayed hitscan, like how Ana's Sleep Dart is a delayed projectile.

If you shoot it as a hitscan weapon and track it for ~0.5s, you'll hit. You can't dodge hitscan ;O

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Close enough. It seems like a more accurate representation is that it's a delayed hitscan, like how Ana's Sleep Dart is a delayed projectile.

If you shoot it as a hitscan weapon and track it for ~0.5s, you'll hit. You can't dodge hitscan ;O
hmm I think I get it now, comparing it to Ana's sleep dart definitely made me understand it better.

Joim

Pixels matter
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Very interesting, sandz, thansk!
I broke my losing streak, using more Zarya and Mei now. Even got a Mei potm!

Mizuhime

Did I mistake you for a sign from God?
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
New patch today, not as big and bad as the season two patch but still good stuff. First change is to Eichenwalde, they listened to the community and the defensive favoured map seemed to be too defensively favoured even for their liking. To counter act this they sped up the payload so it's not as much of a burden on the offence. They also took a look at their statistics and the first point has a 75% capture rate (second to only kings row for hybrid maps which has 82.8% capture rate).

The other change in the patch is to the Mercy POTG, the algorithm seemed to love it some blonde healer action, and it was noticed as Mercy was in the top 3 for POTG's. They changed the algorithm to favour her less so we wont be getting those 2 man revs as the POTG anymore. Obviously if a she revies the entire team, and gets a offensive boost assist, still play of the game worthy. But they fixed the problem regarding that. \

What are your thoughts on the Eichenwalde change? Personally I agree with it, solo q is still gonna suck on the first point but you can't help that. The payload speed increasing is a good change in my opinion.

sandshrewz

POTATO
Lol @ changing Eichenwalde payload speed. I mean, that's kinda a good thing. Also they really need to stop balancing maps by capture/win rates imo. They themselves should be understanding what makes a map good and what makes a map bad. A map that's winnable or has 50% winrate across the board is not necessarily a good map. They have still yet to address the problem of having a single choke to attack the first point, and having two really small doors after capping second. Having really bad chokes dumbs the game down a lot to just spam shields and get in, and will likely favor a lot of defense using spam tactics and attack using rush tactics for the sake of holding or breaking through chokes. All these are really brain dead tactics e_e

Regarding Mercy POTGs, I think I mentioned earlier, but probably not here, that Mercy's Resurrect rewarded more points since the buff patch than before. Given that POTG probably had some system related to fire points, that's pretty much why Mercy POTGs were everywhere due to more fire points from Rez. They probably just reduced the weight of Rez fire points for Mercy POTG to match pre-patch.

Payload speed being faster is a good thing, but they probably should look deeper than just that. Probably they're just looking to see if they feel like it would become more balanced and do not want to unnecessarily alter map elements as that's either not easy to do, or disruptive to the competitive season.

Mizuhime

is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I don't think you can reasonably alter a map after it's been released. Seems a little drastic to alter a full map after it's been released so they're working on finding an alternate way to fix what people deemed broken. Other than altering the speed of the payload I don't think there is reasonably anything they could possible do to fix it, right? Realistically other than changing the payload speed, you could possible add another check point between 2/3? So it's not as much of a walk between spawn and the castle. But that's a lot of coding that needs to be altered and another spawn point which seems way too much for the problem. So other than altering the speed, I don't think there is anything at all. Hopefully a minor edit to the payload speed will be enough to gain a more balanced map? It will certainly make the 2nd point a lot easier, the 3rd point is still going to be hard. As for the first point, even opening a window or something for the first point is another problem with coding and seems like way too much effort when the first point still has a 75% capture rate. It's a problem when you have potato teammates, but so is everything else in the game since it's a team based game and you realistically need all 6 members to do anything.

Last edited:

sandshrewz

POTATO
They could probably edit the logic gates of the map more if they don't want to alter map structures. Yea you can add check points presumably, since they removed Gibraltar's first point. Should be feasible. I still highly recommend that they keep the doors opened on second point. Going through two small doors is really badddd, although not impossible.

remlabmez

@dacopboss
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
As for the first point, even opening a window or something for the first point is another problem with coding and seems like way too much effort when the first point still has a 75% capture rate. It's a problem when you have potato teammates, but so is everything else in the game since it's a team based game and you realistically need all 6 members to do anything.
That capture rate is actually a lot higher than I thought it would be. Like I said my experience with that map is when my elo was at its lowest peak of the season, so playing defense on that map was very easy. I haven't had a chance to play it again since I restored my MMR back to a respectable level. But yeah it is a team based game and the choke is kind of annoying but there are combos that can help you easily push past it. Offense especially on a capture point with teammates who aren't working together is the worst thing in this game anyways.

I still think everything is pretty well balanced this season, my only complaint is that Mei ult covers the WHOLE point on 2cp maps. Makes things hella annoying but I don't think it needs to get nerfed

So this is my first season trying out competitive (I skipped out on the first season) and I went 4 wins to 6 loses which I am pretty sure is kinda bad. My rank is now like the very bottom of gold. Is that good bad or average?

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
So this is my first season trying out competitive (I skipped out on the first season) and I went 4 wins to 6 loses which I am pretty sure is kinda bad. My rank is now like the very bottom of gold. Is that good bad or average?
I think it's a bit below average tbh

Joim

Pixels matter
Yo bought a second copy of the Game?

I managed to win quite a bit and got almost back to 2500. The road to diamond can be resumed now.

Here, have some potgs:

Reaper

Zarya

Mei

McCree

Reinhardt

Mizuhime

your inconsistencies in the titles drive me insane, also please tell me you killed the opposing mccree in that clip

Joim

Pixels matter
A potg is for qp, a potm is for comp!
Yeah I did kill him afterwards and we just won :) I'm terrible at hitscan lol

Stuck in the 2080-2200 range. Thankfully I learnt from last time and got an alt...
huh what for? practising weird shit or? usually the best way to get out of an elo plateau and stay out is just to learn from your mistakes, so that means practising against people your skill level and getting better than them. win streaks are how you get out but you gotta stay here, its kinda like dieting. and if you place badly over time it should even out and if you place too high over time you will drop so meh i dont rec this strat, waste of $40 and i have a non-competitive smurf speaking of $40 lol ;p i strongly recommend you just play on your main unless you can place higher on your alt, and maybe find someone in your range/a bit above to play with.

im slightly above you, gradually climbing when i can play, havent played enough to go on a streak either way. i expect to plateau in high golds (esp cuz thats where my team peaked) and my goal for the season is plat lmao :X i feel like most matches are quite fair i think i only got irritated once and thats cuz we lost to cheese i was telling them to switch to d.va to counter minutes ago (i can play her but i was only healer so bit of a quandary since i wouldve needed heals to do it) so i wouldnt call that unfair ah well

but id like it if a/b cap maps had fewer draws. cuz those were most of my draws in placements and a few times we capped by like 5 mins faster and they capped the 2nd in overtime (fml) so idk i felt like it wasnt rly that even and couldve been resolved, even tho its our fault for letting them cap it was rather disproportionate. i hate being annoyed to roll those maps cuz they take so long and theyre not that hard to force a draw on. (fuck you volskaya) but like hanamura i'd be happy to roll if it wasn't always a tie and i'm fine with anubis

Last edited:

Joim

Pixels matter
I got a losing streak and back to mains who won't switch, one tank one heal rest dps (when lucky), etc. but climbing back to 2500s again. But seriously why the people stick so much to their hero of choice even when there's 4 counters in play?
Speaking of alts, I'd like to get an only Symmetra account to see how far I can get lol

Sorry people but I think I had to clarify that I'm playing Overwatch on a PS4, alts don't cost a dime :) But my laptop is dying and it I wanted to take my gaming (and streaming) to a higher level so I'm building a PC atm and ironically, buying Overwatch on it when I'm done lol.

But speaking of my experiences, I had the misfortune of playing my placement matches in S1 at the very beginning, with 4 out of 10 matches lost due to leavers and I ended placing at low 40s. Panicking and trying new heroes (in competitive mode of all places) made me go lower before I sprang above 40 again. With my second alt, I did pretty well and instead got 56. I learned, took more risks and sometimes just said **** it and wanted to win it on my own, I guess that hunger made me fare better.

aVocado

@ Everstone
Finally hit diamond last night, though immediately lost 4 matches in a row after that lmao.

I don't think I'm gonna q for ranked on weekends anymore. Pretty much every game had a hanzo/genji who wouldn't switch despite being absolutely shite at their hero. And they'd be like 1.8k or 1.7k golds that are Qing with plat friends. Probably kids who can't play ow on weekdays LOL

That being said, after being frustrated about the loss streak last night, I went on the week's brawl which is just tanks and it's actually absolutely fun. Roadhog is insanely broken in that meta and Winston is absolutely useless.

sandshrewz

POTATO
I've been using Ana since S1 in comp when we absolutely had to hard carry. Mercy's harder to carry when half your team isn't worth Rezzing lols. I did figure that she was really really good with tanks, and good for overkilling enemies with Nano Boost. She has been a really good 'win more' hero for me when we decided we needed to clutch the game cos we couldn't be bothered losing and me getting my ass off from playing something easier (Mercy's kinda easier :c but I like Mercy too e_e even after she fell out of the meta). But lol I really didn't expect Ana to be so meta in the pro scene. She's always been good but I was surprised that she basically kicked Mercy off and made a triple tank triple sup or some variant of that composition just for herself.

Also how do you guys soloq man @_@ OW isn't a game where you can properly hard carry alone unless you're grandmasters, and even then still pretty unreliable and very slow to climb, though I do think soloq players have more volatile rank changes. Even in group queues, the whole game still basically becomes carry vs carry and ignore the rest of the team lol >_>

Oh yea bringing the topic of Mercy, I really think it's better to give her a brand new ult rather than tweaking it here and there. Resurrect is a really unfun ult to play against and to use. But then HEROES NEVA DIE is really attached to Mercy's character design so IDK :C she isn't in the meta now so it isn't really a problem. Also plox rework Symmetra.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)