Overwatch - Brigitte used FLAIL!

Right now the only Balancing changes I would make would be to nerf mercy and Lucio and buff D. Va and zenyatta.
I think the fact that mercy and lucio are must picks at the moment has less to do with their relative strength so much as a lack of viable alternatives. I think this is a problem that will smooth itself out as blizzard adds more and more viable healers to the game; hopefully that is a large focus for them in their first few hero expansions.

From what I hear this is a problem almost exclusively on consoles, but torbjorn is too good, at least for quick play. A single torbjorn, even a well played one, isn't actually much of a problem, but when another torbjorn sets up a turret to cover flanker angles or a reinhardt sets up in front of him to cover, it becomes a much tricker proposition. Even then a well organized team can force through it, but it only takes 2-3 people on defense to set up what essentially requires a full 6 man coordinated offensive to bust through. That is incredibly rare in quick play. I'm not sure how you go about balancing this as I hear torbjorn isn't a problem on pc and is essentially a joke in the tournament scene. Perhaps with the coming of competitive on the horizon the issue will become less severe, but I have my doubts.

Last edited:

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
tbh I would like to see McCree's damage falloff lessened a bit; you really need to have extreme precision to hit anyone at a distance, especially with the FUN 20 tick rate mandated on the servers. 76 completely outclasses him at precision shooting long range and destroying turrets & pharrah. Only thing mcree does any better now that FtH is nerfed (to a good spot) is stun tracer, and honestly tons of characters control tracer as well (roadhot, zarya, pharrah)

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I think the fact that mercy and lucio are must picks at the moment has less to do with their relative strength so much as a lack of viable alternatives. I think this is a problem that will smooth itself out as blizzard adds more and more viable healers to the game; hopefully that is a large focus for them in their first few hero expansions.

From what I hear this is a problem almost exclusively on consoles, but torbjorn is too good, at least for quick play. A single torbjorn, even a well played one, isn't actually much of a problem, but when another torbjorn sets up a turret to cover flanker angles or a reinhardt sets up in front of him to cover, it becomes a much tricker proposition. Even then a well organized team can force through it, but it only takes 2-3 people on defense to set up what essentially requires a full 6 man coordinated offensive to bust through. That is incredibly rare in quick play. I'm not sure how you go about balancing this as I hear torbjorn isn't a problem on pc and is essentially a joke in the tournament scene. Perhaps with the coming of competitive on the horizon the issue will become less severe, but I have my doubts.
Torbjorn is only a problem on console yeah, he's not viable on PC lol and in quick play he's only ok at specific maps on defend, and he has hard counters that can just shut him down easily. He has a huge problem in the fact that if his turret is down and he dies along with it, then it's really hard to get back up if the other team is pressuring u well, not to mention so much can just kill it. If you have a Reinhardt in front of you literally anything that can shoot can take it down, mercy's pistols, widowmaker, etc.

As for mercy, i believe she's a must pick not because there isn't an alternative, but because her ult is ridiculously good and charges super fast, pretty sure it's the fastest charging ult in the game. With the metagame going triple tank these days as well she can heal them and like get an ult 15 secs after having already used one lol.

I think Lucio is fine because his ult takes a long time to charge relatively, even if it can be just as game-changing. He IS probably like the best or at worst a top 3 hero, but I don't think it's because he's broken/too good, he's just a really good hero.

tbh I would like to see McCree's damage falloff lessened a bit; you really need to have extreme precision to hit anyone at a distance, especially with the FUN 20 tick rate mandated on the servers. 76 completely outclasses him at precision shooting long range and destroying turrets & pharrah. Only thing mcree does any better now that FtH is nerfed (to a good spot) is stun tracer, and honestly tons of characters control tracer as well (roadhot, zarya, pharrah)
Yea McCree has gone from an insta-pick hero to a very niche one that only works on certain modes/maps/as a counter to a few heroes. Too harsh of a nerf imo ;_; he doesn't need all that fall off damage :(

Err Torbjorn is definitely viable on PC, he has the highest winrate on both console and PC lol. He's picked first point defense very often in competitive too. He's just actually OP on console, but just because he's beatable on PC doesn't make him unviable.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Err Torbjorn is definitely viable on PC, he has the highest winrate on both console and PC lol. He's picked first point defense very often in competitive too. He's just actually OP on console, but just because he's beatable on PC doesn't make him unviable.
I'm looking at tournaments and at the very moment he looks unviable lol. Along with Mei, Zenyatta, and Hanzo. I've seen Hanzo in tournaments in some specific maps tho, mostly Gibraltor.

http://www.planetoverwatch.org/15-overwatch-tier-list-and-hero-meta-report-balance-changes-and-you

^ that compiles data from the gosugamer tournaments that happen every week and ranks them in a neat graph.

Apparently torbjorn is getting a nerf specific to console. His turret damage is going to be nerfed by 30%.
Here is the source http://www.gamespot.com/articles/overwatchs-torbjorn-is-being-nerfed-heres-how-and-/1100-6441259/

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
The only thing Mei needs is quicker regen time while in the ice block. The length of time she spends in ice block can stay the same. Her issue is how easy it is for her to lose duels if she can't secure a freeze on the opponent, forcing Mei to play as a flanker which, while in some ways she excels at picking off lone targets, but in the event that theres another enemy teammate around, she quickly can be gang-banged by a multitude of opponents.

Otherwise the only other way to buff Mei without creating a vacuum of frustration (because increasing the damage of the snow blower or increasing the speed/length of the freeze from snow blower actually creates anti-fun kinda like how Teemo did in League before his changes) for opponents is to increase the speed at which Mei gets her ult, because often times other people get their ults much faster and are thus able to make an impact that much more often against enemy teams. Meanwhile Mei must hold onto ult for literally the most opportune moment because otherwise it's very easy to avoid (compare to most other AOE ults, Mei's ult only shines when you have a Zarya ult or Reinhardt ult that can keep the enemy team in one spot for long enough for the freeze to take place so that a proper gang-bang can take place).

aVocado

@ Everstone
Mei needs a change to her ult in general, it's kinda stupid how so many people can get away from it lol, make it a bit slower to charge (it actually charges super fast) while making the "freezing" effect quicker to not allow people to escape it so easily.

Even then I still don't think she'd be /viable/ in tournaments just because her design relies on opponents being alone, you don't see that in tournament or at least in a premade unless a flanker has gone way too deep, and that's rare.

And her ice wall is good but not good enough to make her that much better. her right click is /really/ good though, u can fucking snipe with it lol

Can someone enlighten me as to why Torbjorn is so much better on console than PC? That kind of statement doesn't make sense to me and I think having a different hardcoded game balance on console and PC is not the greatest idea.

I'm bad and I play on console because the only FPS I'm used to is Halo on Xbox but this game is fun and I'm learning. Torbjorn has counters on Xbox just like anywhere else lol.

Not sure if I prefer the alternative (but much more sensible) nerf, ie. lower fire rate, 360 degrees turning or range.

Can someone enlighten me as to why Torbjorn is so much better on console than PC? That kind of statement doesn't make sense to me and I think having a different hardcoded game balance on console and PC is not the greatest idea.

I'm bad and I play on console because the only FPS I'm used to is Halo on Xbox but this game is fun and I'm learning. Torbjorn has counters on Xbox just like anywhere else lol.
The difference in balance is due to the fact the input is different. For example, widow maker is considered much weaker on console due to the fact that the controller is much less precise making accurate shots much more difficult. What this means for the long term as the two games become increasingly different is something I can't predict.

Ampharos

tag walls, punch fascists
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
the more i play king's row, the more i detest it, and i really couldn't tell you why. anyone else have maps like that?

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Lijiang. Especially the garden. Such quick respawns promote chain deaths, and it's so hard to retake the point once the first team has it.

I had massive headaches trying to break through Anubis defenses until I stopped trying to snipe from far away (you need a supporting coherent team to make any progress) or blast my way through Pharah.

I just rush the side room near the the columns on the left, take care of whatever guard they have installed and then blast dem bastions/turrets from behind.

aVocado

@ Everstone
I really hate playing hanamura/volskaya on attack in pubs. It's fucking hell. You need to actually play with teamwork to even have a chance to beat their defenss unless they're retarded..

They need to fix matchmaking imo. Basically every game I've been in for the past few days has basically ended up in my team getting steamrolled because literally nobody on my team wants to go support/tank or coordinate, and I've been the one stuck being support.

aVocado

@ Everstone
That's the biggest reason I have 30-40 hours combined on mercy/lucio lol. Got to a point where I just said "fuck it" and I'd go anyone I want, even if our team lacks support/tank.

I honestly wouldn't mind a turn speed nerf on the turrets, their damage is fine, but you should be able to flank them and get some free shots off if the turret is poorly covered imo. Genji and Tracer w/o pulse just cry when there's a Torb. Then maybe they can buff his Rivet Gun/HP and make Torb a more well-rounded hero.

That's the biggest reason I have 30-40 hours combined on mercy/lucio lol. Got to a point where I just said "fuck it" and I'd go anyone I want, even if our team lacks support/tank.
Yeah, especially if I select my character first. I get selecting a non support character if you select first but don't be a jerk and pick genji if you are the last to pick with no support on your team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)