Overwatch - Brigitte used FLAIL!

HailFall

my cancer is sun and my leo is moon
God i forgot how little most people around 2200 understand about the game.. even really really basic stuff that should be a given (don't trickle, don't waste important ults, don't spend your entire life sitting at the choke doing nothing) isnt understood. I'm not even saying they're bad at their role but people just don't understand how to work as a team.

Dont even get me started on the hero choices. Defense widowmaker telling me "shell swap if shes not getting picks" (thereby losing us the point), mercy autolockers that cant even get rez value, and people who think main tank roadhog is acceptable. I might as well be in quick play. I can only pray the rest of my placements go better than the ones I've done already.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
5 wins, 4 losses, 1 draw and got placed 3071. some guy went 2-8 and got placed 2700. I feel like no matter how well/badly you do, you'll be placed according to last season. A previously master/top 500 player queued with a plat player for placements this time, all 10 of them, former got master and latter got plat lol.

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Welp 6-4 due to last game being a dc on my end (with Ethernet?) and ended up 2103. going to climb out of this hell but still lower than I was expecting (23-2400)

Joim

Pixels matter
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Nice diamond placement! So, if I do well, I could be placed in diamond as well. Makes sense. I'll finish today, it was real late and I had to go to bed.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
IDDQD's placements were fucking horrible, like 2w 6l 2d and he got 4.4k lmao.

C9 all queued together in one 6 man and surefour got 4.5k, mendo got around 4.3 or 4.4k i believe, and the rest are lower.

Don't kill me, but... I'm going solo Symmetra this season. Decided to do it because I want to see how far I'm able to go, I already hit my goal of Diamond last season and then some, so I don't really have anything I want to work towards anymore (hitting Masters isn't a realistic goal for me unless I spend a lot more time on this game and I don't really want to do that). Also I'm sick and tired of being forced on Lucio lol. Anyways, I went 6-4 with Symm and placed 3286. Kinda funny because I ended last season at 3281 lol. Not really sure what I'm going to do if Symmetra ever gets taken tbh, maybe I'll just go D.Va? I know the Korean guy goes Torb but I hate / suck with Torb... *shrugs*.

Also I kinda feel like the placement matches go a little too heavily on last season, like I think last season should definitely have an effect but the fact that people are placing so close to their original rank no matter how they do is a bit ridiculous lol. One of the reason seasons exist is so people can have a "fresh start" of sorts, and if you just plop everyone back into the same rank it doesn't give them that.

Last edited:

HailFall

yeah its frustrating that i know no matter how well i do im still getting placed in the same general ballpark of where i finished last season off. I was looking forward to having a chance at escaping elo hell (TM) through good placement matches but thats really not a possibility it seems.

i had a friend that peaked at ~3000 last season, got placed like 2490, and is now muddling around the upper silver - low gold range. i've always been right around the same rating as him and was afraid it would place me into gold and i wouldnt be able to climb out like him, but i got back into mid plat which is where i've been for literally 100% of my comp career. 6W-3L-1D.

also very close to my first gold gun, have a few options in my head for it including zen, ana, zarya, and hog. i wasnt considering hog until i did my placements tonight because i've generally been terrible at him, but my hooks were on point tonight and i probably can comfortably add him to my hero pool now. still prob just gonna get zen because he's been my dude since his 150 HP days.

aVocado

@ Everstone
i had a friend that peaked at ~3000 last season, got placed like 2490, and is now muddling around the upper silver - low gold range. i've always been right around the same rating as him and was afraid it would place me into gold and i wouldnt be able to climb out like him, but i got back into mid plat which is where i've been for literally 100% of my comp career. 6W-3L-1D.

also very close to my first gold gun, have a few options in my head for it including zen, ana, zarya, and hog. i wasnt considering hog until i did my placements tonight because i've generally been terrible at him, but my hooks were on point tonight and i probably can comfortably add him to my hero pool now. still prob just gonna get zen because he's been my dude since his 150 HP days.
Your friend probably fluked and peaked at diamond before dropping then. Blizzard did say they're gonna 'lower' down the ranks a bit because high gold/plat/low diamond had way too many people of very different skill levels, and you had an actually gold player at best in high plat and whatnot. Would you say your friend just got lucky last season or something?

also then there's the hidden mmr thing lol

aVocado

@ Everstone
yeah its frustrating that i know no matter how well i do im still getting placed in the same general ballpark of where i finished last season off. I was looking forward to having a chance at escaping elo hell (TM) through good placement matches but thats really not a possibility it seems.
who would've thought... you gotta escape elo hell™ by actually winning matches? huh... absolute madness.

:^)

Your friend probably fluked and peaked at diamond before dropping then. Blizzard did say they're gonna 'lower' down the ranks a bit because high gold/plat/low diamond had way too many people of very different skill levels, and you had an actually gold player at best in high plat and whatnot. Would you say your friend just got lucky last season or something?

also then there's the hidden mmr thing lol
yeah i would definitely say he got lucky. he had one good night of solo queue and was actually diamond for one game. he tends to fall into the "my teammates are retards, why cant they play video games" mentality a lot. but when i play with him he tends to make a lot of silly mistakes...

wish blizz wouldnt make the rank icons permanent once you hit the threshold. it makes these borderline diamond/plat players think they're better than they are.

HailFall

who would've thought... you gotta escape elo hell™ by actually winning matches? huh... absolute madness.

:^)
... I dont know if you've actually ever had to play in the cesspool known as gold before but I have. Team coordination doesnt exist. Half the time your team has a leaver or a troll. its pretty much quick play with an absurd amount of toxicity, blaming, and incompetence thrown into the mix. You can't "just win games" when 90% of the time games come down to "whose team is actually trying".

Feel free to continue the implied "git gud xD xD xD" but keep in mind that 1) I was sitting a whole 500 elo above where I am now and still managed to float around there pretty easily until ONE loss streak happened that I've never been able to recover from, 2) I dont play carry roles Im on support/off tank 95% of the time , and 3) even if bad luck should average out over time i cant spend most of my time playing comp and I quite frankly don't want to given how awful my experiences with it have been.

... I dont know if you've actually ever had to play in the cesspool known as gold before but I have. Team coordination doesnt exist. Half the time your team has a leaver or a troll. its pretty much quick play with an absurd amount of toxicity, blaming, and incompetence thrown into the mix. You can't "just win games" when 90% of the time games come down to "whose team is actually trying".

Feel free to continue the implied "git gud xD xD xD" but keep in mind that 1) I was sitting a whole 500 elo above where I am now and still managed to float around there pretty easily until ONE loss streak happened that I've never been able to recover from, 2) I dont play carry roles Im on support/off tank 95% of the time , and 3) even if bad luck should average out over time i cant spend most of my time playing comp and I quite frankly don't want to given how awful my experiences with it have been.
Honestly if competitive isn't fun for you anymore, it probably has to do with your mindset... http://www.channelfireball.com/articles/the-best-way-to-win/ this article talks about how you can not only win more games, but also how you can make competitive mode fun again. It doesn't apply directly to Overwatch, but a lot of the things they say are definitely true. Mainly the part that's like "The less you care about winning the more happy you'll be when playing in general and the less angry you'll be when you lose". I've been applying this to games like Smash and Halo for years and can attest it works - you can still try your hardest while not focusing on the end result or your teammates play too much. Of course sometimes matches will suck but as someone who's played in the high gold / platinum range I know that often times teammates aren't as bad as you might think :) and if you're playing well and focusing on your own gameplay you can make a significant contribution, win or lose!

Joim

Pixels matter
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

The only way to escape ELO hell is to get better. Trust me. I was like you. I got as low as 2050. I hovered between 2200 and 2400 for the longest time season 2, but now I'm at the brink of Masters. What did I do? I'll tell you: I git gud. I trained daily, I improved my aim throughout ALL heroes, trained all of them in comp, changed my mentality to a more positive one, started communicating the best way possible, started recording myself and checking my mistakes, started considering every decision I make in-game, started wondering "why did I die and how could've I prevented it". Also upgraded my PC, but that's the minor part of it.

Now I can climb soloq easily up to diamond in any account.

sandshrewz

POTATO
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So, seems like placements are indeed heavily influenced by your S2 SR. It makes sense and all but, not sure if it's a good thing. Also lol apparently there's people who 6 stacked and after their placements, boom can't play together anymore cost 500 SR limit and all. It's pretty dumb tbh, and I personally wouldn't mind if 6 stacks at the bare minimum have their SR party limitations completely removed. It's a 6 stack, they can do whatever the heck they want. While heavily using S2 SR to influence placements make sense, idk if they ever did make sure the deviation/uncertainty increases back to maximum at the start of a new season. If they don't, I personally think it should. It's a new season anyway, and gives people a better chance at rocking their SR, be it higher or lower.

Re: elo hell etc. I've watched Gold games cos friends streaming it on FB and stuff. It's just omg... lol, no one who knows how to play will ever want to play at Gold even if they win 80% of their games and what not. It's a torture even if you do eventually get out of that range. As with regards to mentality where you'll enjoy games more if you care more about winning less, I don't buy it. I wouldn't care if games are losses/draws if the game itself was great and fun. I wouldn't even enjoy wins if the game was dumb. The only good thing about wins is you get to hopefully increase your SR and you get CP! I personally dislike comp (at least soloq) a lot, because games just don't freaking make sense lol. People do things that don't make sense all the time and having to inculcate bad habits just to overcompensate for bad plays is really annoying. I don't care if we win or not, and whether if the players are good or not. It really just has to be sufficiently logical. If games at whatever level makes sense enough, it'd be fun, for me anyway. But from what I see, Diamond/Masters don't even guarantee that players are logical anyway. Also the best way to climb for whoever wants to, is just to DM the heck out of everything, which I don't really enjoy so yea. Sorry but my sense of fun is really narrow xD I just see comp as a glorified QP with CP unless I play in a party, in which case we can just micro-coordinate the heck out of everything even if the other team has better DM. As to how game makes sense... well, really basic concepts like not feeding, knowing how to group up and push, not repeatedly dying to obvious disadvantages/counters, knowing to cap the point and stuff lols. Ideally people should also harp less about the meta. I just eyeroll so much whenever people want to follow the meta 9.9 I should probably not care and play whatever is right, even if it willfully tilts my own team.. but tilting and stuff is also part of playing comp, and reporting for the dumbest reasons is also a thing... I myself have plenty of flaws and limitations too, but I'd be perfectly satisfied with games if majority of the people can grasp bare basics and not be annoying and harping on all the wrong things or blaming people. Anyway, all these aren't just applicable to Gold. It happens at all ranks lol, sadly. Presumably it should happen less at higher ranks but eh... (Asia/SEA is really bad to play in imo; but still better than LoL from what I hear! hahaha).

re: rank symbol staying immediately for Diamond/-. I get their intention, but it'd probably be better to attach a minimum number of games played before it becomes permanent, similar to the Top500 requiring x number of games. This would also help cases where people get placed too high and then drop down significantly. Doesn't help with lucky streaks though, since by probability, they are supposedly rare, but it could do with the uncertainty increasing too much during streaks. When people talk about streak bonuses, I just think it's more of uncertainty increasing which gives a side effect of SR becoming more volatile, thus appearing like a streak bonus. If uncertainty doesn't increase that quickly, it would probably help.

I should learn to type less rantily-ish thing !!! I have too high expectations hahaha >_>

Anyway, best of luck to everyone at getting better ranks than S2!! :) And have fun ! Maybe we'll see more Diamond+ this season yea ??? Also moar gold guns !! I didn't even play enough to farm one for S2 rip the end season rewards getting nerfed ;o; I wouldn't even get one if I reached masters for S2 lols.

Also here's hoping for a better Symmetra rework and maybe Mercy rework, and Ana nerf, other hero tweaks.... etc. xmas season is the time to hope for stuff right ??? hahahaha :p

e: also how many awards did OW win omg O.o

Last edited:

HailFall

I appreciate the advice, thank you. I suppose I just feel frustrated because it seems no matter how much effort I put into improving it doesn't take me anywhere. I'm definitely a lot better at ana than when s2 started (improved unscoped accuracy by around 20%, hitting most of my sleep darts, and getting better nanos), but my sr hasn't changed much at all. It had huge fluctuations (±500 of 2200 where I was placed s2) but I ended up about where I started. Hopefully s3 goes better for me. I'll try to stay optimistic.

Last edited:

aVocado

@ Everstone
try hitting stuff with ana. it helps a lot. if you notice your team starts to take damage then heal them, otherwise try 3 shotting squishies or softening that winston, or hitting a 2-3 man nade. not only will you get ult faster than enemy ana but ur also helping ur team get picks.

anas damage is underrated af

HailFall

well i finished placements 6-4 and it put me a bit below where i ended last season, in 2177. I had a pretty good game on watchpoint gibraltar with dva (got something crazy like 70% kill participation) and a 3 stack on my team added me, so i did my last placement with them, and hopefully ill be able to play with them in the future too. one of them is even more of a symmetra freak than me, autolocking her on like payload defense and shit lol. I was a little reproachful at first but they seemed to make it work so im not gonna complain. It works in gold at least. At higher ELOs it probably wont but with the symmetra buff incoming it might be more workable, we'll see.

My placement matchups were weird, started with 3 straight losses, then a draw, then won 6 in a row to end off placements. Got 2650, which is 100 below where I ended last season.

Did them all in 5 or 6 man which is nice, got to play DPS with Genji a lot

HailFall

Im so happy with where dva is at in this patch. Shes probably my best hero and shes just so stupid good right now i think she can actually carry. I have something like a 70% winrate with her and although the sample size of my games isnt huge she seems like my best bet to climb, though i still play ana if im in the mood/the team needs one. Ive climbed like 150 sr in just one day and i'm enjoying myself enough that i think i might be able to play comp almost exclusively now, only really going to quick play if im in the mood to play some widow.

oh, so im about 2/3 of the way to getting my first gold gun! Thats enough that i think i should definitely get one by the end of the season assuming i keep playing at the rate i am now. not sure what im gonna get. While i dont really like regular dvas weapons with gold, imo they look pretty good on the bva skin which is the one i use. im also considering getting one for ana. im not quite as good with her as i am dva, but i really like the way her gold gun looks too. i could also get one for widow because i main her in quick play but i dont play her in comp really and i feel like that would be cheating lol, though it does have a really cool gold and silver look on the gun for the odette skin.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)