1. Welcome to Smeargle's Studio! Please be sure to review the studio rules.
  2. Want real-time art feedback? Want to meet YILX FIRST PLACE ARTIST? Come chat with us in the studio's IRC channel! Log onto #smeargle on SynIRC, or click this link to visit us via mibbit!
  3. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  4. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

paintseagull's art thread

Discussion in 'Smeargle's Studio' started by paintseagull, Apr 10, 2011.

1. paintseagull

paintseagull pink wingull
    is an Artistis a Forum Moderator

Hi everyone, thanks for checking out my art thread!
    I'll use the first post as a place to showcase my favourite few pieces.
    Featured stuff! (Updated October 30th 2011):

[​IMG]
    Baby CAP1 design!

"Cute" Sigilyph
    [​IMG]

Dragonite!!
    [​IMG]
    Sephirona and Kenny like this.
  2. paintseagull

OK let's get some art in heere

[​IMG]
    Main Design Baby CAP1! A more ambitious pose than the side-on, and shows the design better, but less successful as a drawing I think. Mainly because thicker lines cover up bad linework skills better :)

[​IMG]
    CAP1 design! Hate the colours (and actually most everything else) on this now. But I like his face.

[​IMG]
    Gen4 CAP11 design! I had to mess him up with that yellow stuff because of the Volt Absorb/whatever abilities he got.

[​IMG]
    Heracross rules

[​IMG]
    Eevee (+jolteon) drawings!

[​IMG]
    HGSS inspired sketches!

[​IMG]
    And lastly this is what I've been working on today. I decided to finally draw up a poketeam! This is my 9-member team in White. I love way too many pokemon in BW so I had to use them all haha. Scolipede (Rochefort) and Samurott (Ambroise) are both girls so I tried to make them more feminine. They are fist-bumping with Excadrill (India).
    The other names for whoever cares are FinDuMonde (Fraxure), Chambly (Chandelure), Duvel (Reuniclus), Boreale (Vanilluxe), C3 (Eelectrik).. and Fluffee haha (the in-game traded Whimsicott who was modest and had Prankster so I didn't need to breed it!.. but I was stuck with the name Fluffee hah). Bonus points if you get the naming theme I'm using :3
  3. Kevin Garrett

Kevin Garrett is a competitor
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 12 Championis a SPL Winner

I'm surprised I am your first reply. Your art work is really good. I credit your cute CAP 1 Pre-Evo design for me sticking to my mediocre design. Hopefully you will win.
  4. Nastyjungle

Nastyjungle fat and sassy
    is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Going to parrot my original comment to you:

Fantastic! I love it all. And ahhhhhhhhh your CAP11 design is fucking awesome, I love that too. Your style is very rounded and soft, which is fun. I look forward to more, and I hope you win babyCAP as well!
  5. Blue_Tornado

Blue_Tornado

eggy cap is amazing, i loved it from the start

a lot of these are really great, nice
  6. BKC

BKC
    is a Tutoris a Smogon IRC AOPis a Tiering Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis Smogon Frontier's Castle Valetis a Past WCoP Winneris the Smogon Tour Season 16 Champion

jesus christ this is great stuff, i really like the first heracross drawing. luvdisc
  7. Tomahawk

Tomahawk Fuck you, pay me
    is a Team Rater Alumnus
    Mentor

This is pretty aweomse.
    *Luvdisc nr. 6. they now show on the front page*
  8. paintseagull

Thanks guys!

I've been trying to work on shading and linework.. here is a Ledian!
    [​IMG]

and here is my team from Mystery Dungeon, Team Lemon-Lime! A work in progress..
    [​IMG]

Here are a couple tutorials I have been reading
    http://tasteslikeanya.deviantart.com/art/Long-Tutorial-is-Long-204839464
    http://stuff.veekun.com/pkcolor/

I really wanted to post this mystery dungeon drawing right away because I wanted to share something associated with it. I've always wanted to draw my mystery dungeon team but I got really inspired to do it after seeing the PMD art group on deviantart started by purplekecleon: http://pmd-explorers.deviantart.com/
    I thought other artists would be interested in checking it out. If I join, I won't be using these two, I have another team up my sleeve that I've been sketching :)
    Sephirona likes this.
  9. bombiron

bombiron

you showld have many more luvdicks
  10. Oglemi

Oglemi I love you wonderful Minun-Kun!
    is a Tournament Directoris a member of the Site Staffis a Community Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris an Administratoris a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
    C&C Leader

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep

That Ledian

:3
  11. Focus

Focus Pachiiiiii Pooowwweeerrrr!!!!!
    is a Tiering Contributor

D:

Anyway, WOW! That Heracross! Every last picture made me smile(THAT HERACROSS IS AMAZING!!!). You get a well-deserved Luvdisc! I cannot wait to see what else you can draw! AM I USING EXCESSIVE EXCLAMATION MARKS AND CAPITALIZATION OR WHAT!!!!
  12. bombiron

bombiron

for serious. great shit
  13. Blue_Tornado

Blue_Tornado

i am a great fan of pmd

with that out of the way... amazing ledian
    pikachu's discharge is pretty fucking broken
  14. paintseagull

I didn't finish that other picture yet, but I did a new one! I am on a roll~ nonstop artin'

[​IMG]

Thank you all for the super kind words and luvdiscs!
  15. RitterCat

RitterCat
    is an Artistis a Forum Moderatoris a Contributor Alumnus

Guh so CUUUTE!!!

Do you take requests? If so, a Purugly that reaches the same level of cuteness would be amazing, thank you
  16. paintseagull

I dunno about requests, but tossing out suggestions can't hurt, I might decide to do some! Purugly is pretty great!

I finished the picture that goes with the Bouffalant - here it is:
    [​IMG]

I think it could be better, but Corphish gives me such a hard time! Also I definitely should have decided on a colour scheme before hand, the colours here are not the best, too light and not enough contrast or interest.

Anyway, Bouffalant and Corphish are supposed to be a potential PMD team - Team Surf'N'Turf!
  17. Lanturn314

Lanturn314

oh my god, that corphish is just adorable ^_^
  18. LeviLamprey

LeviLamprey

The Corphish is really adorable, and the Ledian is dynamic, soulful and amazing! I support your babyCAP design. The only one I don't like is that flying monkey thing, but this is really great and a very unique style too!
  19. wekhter

wekhter

Man, not only are all of your PMD pictures super cute, your team names are even cuter! The best I could come up with under pressure was Team Rocket. e_e; The only criticism I might have is that the light source in the Bouffalant picture is a little ambiguous (mostly just on the legs, there's some kind of weird optical illusion where I think the wrong leg is in front).

By the way, really excited to see how that lovely shade of purple will play out in the Pikachu & Bulbasaur picture. :>
  20. Focus

Focus Pachiiiiii Pooowwweeerrrr!!!!!
    is a Tiering Contributor

But I love the washed-out, surreal feel of that picture! It is simple and elegant. You nailed it, for my tastes!
  21. paintseagull

My plan was to spend 1 hour and make a cute easter drawing. Well, I failed haha. This is what I got done in 2+ hours

[​IMG]
    Sephirona likes this.
  22. Charmander

Charmander mfw i have a mane and am actually the sun
    is a Contributor Alumnus

monochromatic art <3
    you are talented
  23. zeezow

zeezow

I really love this artpage, and your easter image was so awesome <3
  24. LeviLamprey

LeviLamprey

OH SQUEE that Easter picture is so cute, paintseagull! I love it! And in monochromatic style too! (Well, there's a blue background but whatever!) ^_^
  25. paintseagull

OK so I haven't made any progress on any of the WIPs in this thread because something possessed me to try spriting Scratchet even though I have never sprited before and his stupid design is so stupidly hard to sprite. And so I have spent all my art time making these sprites.

Here was my first attempt (too small/not facing the right direction)
    [​IMG]

And my second attempt which I spent a million hours on and got it to this final stage
    [​IMG]
    which I am honestly quite happy with! I got him to look kinda round on the back which took a lot of persistence and trying different things over and over. And stopping and trying again a few days later with fresh eyes. But I am so happy I don't need to work on it anymore, ugh!

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)