Palette Pals [Now Playable! See Post #54]

One of the more interesting things about Blue is that it has two Unaware walls that are actually fairly complimentary and, with the appropriate stats, quite competent -Quagsire and Swoobat. It has a number of solid leaders for bolstering their bulk, too. Probably the overall strongest at assisting them at being Unaware walls per se is Suicune, but it's notable to me that Garchomp is actually a direct boost to every bulk-related stat on both 'mons! It's not even that far behind Suicune. As such, Garchomp can potentially lead a Blue-heavy team and actually provide very solid walls at the same time as giving you solid attackers -it's also basically a direct upgrade to regular Gyarados' statline (Somewhat less Special Defense, but the HP advantage blunts it), basically a direct upgrade to Feraligatr's statline (Slightly lower Defense, but the HP advantage overcomes it), a direct upgrade to Heracross' statline, basically a direct upgrade to even Mega Altaria's statline (worse non-HP defenses, but the HP advantage makes it essentially equal in bulk. The loss in Special Attack is more meaningful, but Mega Altaria usually runs primarily Physical anyway), a direct upgrade to the Shell Smashing Huntail, a direct upgrade to Lucario (Except on Special Attack)...

Garchomp is a fantastic donor all around. Some other donors might provide better bulk, and if you want Special Attack there's definitely better (Thundurus-Therian gifting its 145 Special Attack to Swellow for Boomburst shenanigans sounds pretty cool -it even has Scrappy to break Ghosts! Focus Energy is its only boosting, unfortunately), but Garchomp all by itself can bring strong, flexible Blue teams to the table, and it's not a problem to bring in something like Gengar to cover your Special attacking needs -or run something like Simple Swoobat, relying on Simple Stored Power Calm Mind backed by having raised your Special Attack 3 points and gained a bunch of bulk. (Lost some Speed, admittedly)

Garchomp can basically lead an entire team all by itself to good effect, is what I'm saying.

Red, unfortunately, doesn't have an equivalently impressive dynamic. Latias is probably it's overall best leader, but Red contains a number of powerful Physical attackers that resent having their Attack slashed to 80. Scizor and Darmanitan are your main options for supporting the like of Crawdaunt -both of them are basically 100% improvements over Crawdaunt (Scizor has worse Special Attack, but who cares? Darmanitan has worse Defense, but higher HP to partially offset the loss. Scizor is probably the overall better choice for supporting Crawdaunt) including boosting its already impressive Attack. Talonflame with 140 Attack is another pretty terrifying idea, and it doesn't mind dropping to Darmanitan's Speed tier most of the time. Darmanitan's HP advantage even helps it shrug off recoil damage from Brave Bird.

Red struggles to get real walls, though. Latias and, weirdly enough, Entei are some of your best donors for overall bulk. Throh offers more, but Latias and Entei are probably going to weigh you down less, and their advantages in Special Attack and Speed make them more likely to be able to support a Red-heavy team in proper diversity. Porygon-Z is your overall most powerful Special attacker donor in Red, but the movepools and Abilities of Red Pokemon mostly slant toward supporting Physical. It's pretty much a direct improvement to the Rotom family, anyway, so if you like running Porygon-Z alongside a Rotom in OU, that's cool.

Weirdly enough, in Green your best overall wall-stats donor is probably Tyranitar. 100/110/100 defensive stats is solid, and there's not a lot of competition. Florges is solid if you want Special bulk on your team that isn't as painfully vulnerable to Physical as a Blissey team, and Zygarde has even more Physical bulk than Tyranitar and more or less the same Special bulk (Less Special Defense, more HP), but Tyranitar's low Speed is generally a non-issue for walls and the potential for pressuring enemies with its high Attack and/or passable Special Attack is pretty good.

That Tyranitar is an excellent Pokemon by itself and a good wall donor is convenient, because Green has a lot of Pokemon that make a stab at being walls but normally lack the stats to really support it, like Cradily, Flygon (It's a Defogger that laughs at all hazards), Poison Heal versions of Breloom (Or, really, any form of Breloom appreciates inheriting from Tyranitar -you lose 5 Speed to get better in every other area!), and others beside. It also allows for some interesting options -Tornadus-Therian with Tyranitar's statline replaces a fast U-Turning Regenerator of okay bulk with a slow-turner that is much more brutal on the Physical end and has noticeably more bulk, which has all kinds of utility itself. Whimsicott is happy to inherit from Tyranitar, for instance, as the only thing it loses is Speed and usually it's relying so heavily on Prankster this isn't much of a loss.

Yellow is a color of extremes. It has one of the hardest-hitting Physical attackers in OU (Haxorus), one of the most overall bulky Pokemon to ever grace OU (Cresselia), it has the fastest OU-legal Pokemon ever (Ninjask), the Pokemon with the highest non-HP defensive stats (Shuckle), and Keldeo is legitimately one of the harder-hitting Pokemon the Special side. Jolteon is also insanely fast and offers a Special-oriented option for just ludicrous Speed, and it's less fragile too. This means Yellow can tailor itself to a fairly impressive degree, though Jirachi is the closest thing it has to an "extremely general choice" for donor.

One of the more infuriating things it can do is Cresselia gracing Simple Numel with its 120/120/130 defensive stats for utterly maddening bulk.

+1 252 Atk Mold Breaker Haxorus Earthquake vs. +2 252 HP / 252+ Def Numel (Cresselia's stats): 114-136 (25.6 - 30.6%) -- 2% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

Yeah, Numel can literally set up in Haxorus' face. And then Rest, not even needing Sleep Talk.

Typhlosion borrowing Keldeo's stats is a pretty straightforward upgrade to Eruption sets, or you could run something like Raikou to edge out more Speed tiers. Beautifly and Mothim might also appreciate such, as they're Quiver Dancers that might be relevant with those kinds of stats. Maybe. Okay, probably not, but I can dream. Persian with Haxorus' stats actually sounds kind of decent.

252 Atk Technician Haxorus (Normal type) Fake Out vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 108-127 (31.6 - 37.2%) -- 83.8% chance to 3HKO

That's a pretty obnoxious amount of damage Persian gets in for free. You've also got Feint to then follow-up with if you desperately need to be able to revenge priority abusers, or you can simply U-Turn out to hold momentum. The damage output is pretty solid at pressuring even walls, even when you account for the fact that a Physically Defensive Mew statline actually takes no more than about 25%. That's still nearly 50% from just Fake Out+U-Turn. You've also got utility moves like Knock Off to clear out items and, of course, bring the pain to Ghosts foolish enough to think that being a Normal type means they can switch safely into you.

Yellow has a lot of interesting things it can do, all-around. A color of extremes.

AWailOfATail

viva la darmz
Code:
//config/formats.js
{
     name: "Palette Pals",
     section: "Other Metagames",

ruleset: ['OU'],
     banlist: ['Huge Power', 'Pure Power', 'Medichamite', 'Kyurem-Black', 'Slaking', 'Regigigas', 'Light Ball', 'Eviolite', 'Deep Sea Tooth', 'Deep Sea Scale', 'Thick Club'],
     onBegin: function () {
       for (let j = 0; j < this.sides.length; j++) {
         let allPokemon = this.sides[j].pokemon;
         let colorArray = [];
         for (let i = 0, len = allPokemon.length; i < len; i++) {
           let pokemon = allPokemon[i];
           let color = pokemon.template.color;
           if (colorArray.indexOf(color) > -1) {
             let copyIndex = colorArray.indexOf(color);
             let copycat = allPokemon[copyIndex];

//Thanks to Nature Swap code for premise!!
             ["baseTemplate", "canMegaEvo"].forEach(key => {
               if (pokemon[key]) {

let template = Object.assign({}, this.getTemplate(pokemon[key]));
                 template.baseStats = Object.assign({}, template.baseStats);
                 let template2 = Object.assign({}, this.getTemplate(copycat.baseTemplate));
                 template2.baseStats = Object.assign({}, template2.baseStats);
                 template.baseStats = template2.baseStats;
                 pokemon[key] = template;
               }
             });
             pokemon.formeChange(pokemon.baseTemplate);

//adjust for hp
            if (pokemon.species !== 'Shedinja') {
               let hp = pokemon.baseTemplate.baseStats['hp'];
               hp = Math.floor(Math.floor(2 * hp + pokemon.set.ivs['hp'] + Math.floor(pokemon.set.evs['hp'] / 4) + 100) * pokemon.level / 100 + 10);
               pokemon.maxhp = hp;
               pokemon.hp = hp;
             }
           }
           colorArray.push(color);
         }
       }
     }
   },

Anything wrong, let me know!

Last edited:

Sobi

Banned deucer.
Announcement

Palette Pals is now playable on dragonheaven.psim.us and rom.psim.us! Thanks to Spandan and XpRienzo, as well as urkerab, for hosting and implementing the metagame and AWailOfATail for creating the code.

I would appreciate any replays and teams that you guys have created to be posted so that I can add them to the Replay & Team Archive, as well as pairs that you have discovered [it would be great if you layed out the post like so: (stat giver icon) (stat receiver sprite) (new stats) (explanation)]. I'm going to be stealing OU sample teams and changing them around a bit while also taking some ideas from the Collection of Good Pairs post.

Thanks to all those who have been involved in the development of this OM, I really and truly appreciate it. :)

Last edited:
So i just made my first team on dragonheaven and its actually pretty good.
Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Knock Off

Ursaring @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Quick Feet
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Close Combat
- Crunch
- Facade

Azelf @ Focus Sash
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Explosion
- Taunt
- Thunder Wave

Wailord @ Choice Specs
Ability: Water Veil
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Water Spout
- Hydro Pump
- Earthquake
- Ice Beam

Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- Knock Off
- Heal Bell

Corsola @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Recover
- Scald
- Toxic
- Protect

Ursaring receives from lando t gaining even more attack and massive speed and is effectively a late game sweeper with quick feet and facade plus cc and crunch for coverage. Wailord receives from azelf and gains a ton of speed and power so that water spout hits like a truck. Finally, corsola gains a ton of bulk from mew and has a good movepool plus a very good ability in regenerator to become an effective wall.

Last edited:
Just to clarify, there's no additional mumbo jumbo we have to do in the teambuilder, like nicknames and such? Just have donors be closer to slot 1 than their Palette Pal?

Here's a sun team idea that I thought of:
Heliolisk @ Choice Specs
Ability: Solar Power
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Hyper Voice

Ninetales @ Heat Rock
Ability: Drought
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Energy Ball
- Will-O-Wisp
- Nasty Plot

Charizard @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast
- Roost

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 8 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Stone Edge

Shiftry @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Knock Off
- Solar Beam
- Sucker Punch
- Defog

Hitmonlee @ Normal Gem
Ability: Unburden
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick
- Knock Off
- Rapid Spin

Base Stats: 62/55/52/109/94/109
Changes in Ninetales's stats: -11 HP, -21 Atk, -23 Def, +28 Sp.Atk, -6 Sp.Def, +9 Speed

A rather odd combination of pals, but bear with me here. Stat-wise, at the expense of some bulk, Ninetales gets a direct improvement in offensive prowess, letting it reach a better Speed tier and actually deal respectable damage. On the other side, Heliolisk benefits by taking advantage of Ninetales's Drought in order to activate its less common Ability: Solar Power. They may not have the best type synergy, but they do have offensive synergy. Heliolisk has Electric STAB to hit most Fire-types neutrally, as well as HP Ice for Dragons, while Ninetales has Energy Ball for Water/Ground-types. Ninetales also has Nasty Plot for increasing its damage output if necessary.

Base Stats: 78/84/78/109/85/100 -> 78/104/78/159/115/100

Mostly a backup sun setter in case Ninetales goes down, although it can do a lot of damage on its own with Fire STAB, Solar Beam, and Focus Blast coming off of its hefty base 159 Special Attack.

Base Stats: 89/145/90/105/80/91
Changes in Shiftry's stats: -1 HP, +45 Atk, +30 Def, +15 Sp.Atk, +20 Sp.Def, +11 Speed
Changes in Hitmonlee's stats: +39 HP, +25 Atk, +37 Def, +70 Sp.Atk, -30 Sp.Def, +4 Speed

With all the special attackers already on the team, I felt like it could use some physical strength as well. What better place to turn than Lando-T+Shiftry with Hitmonlee as backup? Lando-T acts as a defensive pivot for the team that can set up hazards and whittle down those who plan to prey on the weaker defensive stat of the special attackers of the team. Shiftry not only hits hard with its new and improved base 145 Attack, but it also gains a bit of extra Speed with which it can potentially wreak havoc with its STAB moves and remove hazards with Defog if needed. Hitmonlee is an alternative hazard clearer with a failsafe in (potentially Normal Gem-boosted) Fake Out in case an opposing sweeper goes awry in the absence of the sun and/or Shiftry. It also carries Fighting STAB with which it can deal massive damage to Tyranitar and bulky Normal-types.

Perhaps the Shiftry and/or Hitmonlee set could forgo a bit of Speed in favor of Special Attack or extra bulk respectively, because base 91 with Chlorophyll/Unburden is already quite impressive.

Along with that, here's another neat little weather-related set of pals:

Base Stats: 79/115/70/125/80/111
Changes in Politoed's stats: -11 HP, +40 Atk, -5 Def, +35 Sp.Atk, -20 Sp.Def, +41 Speed
Changes in Ludicolo's stats: -1 HP, +45 Atk, 0 Def, +35 Sp.Atk, -20 Sp.Def, +41 Speed

Politoed and Ludicolo have similarly poor stat distributions, but with the support of Tornadus-I, they become a destructive duo with Politoed setting up the rain and Ludicolo wreaking havoc under it. Base 111 Speed may seem awfully redundant with Swift Swim (and Ludicolo's main claim to fame is being part of the only Green evolutionary line with access to Swift Swim), but the main reason for running Tornadus-I of all things is that it too benefits from Politoed's rain with 100% accurate Hurricanes. It's a darn shame that Politoed is the only OU-legal Drizzle user, and this is what I perceive to be the best thing that can be done with it.

But hey, at least it's better off than Sand, which has no Green or Brown Sand Rush users.

More importantly: In post #4 with the "Collection of Good Pairs", I can't help but notice that Conkeldurr is paired with Linoone even though Conkeldurr is Brown and Linoone is White. Wouldn't it be Zigzagoon and not Linoone?

Sobi

Banned deucer.
Here's a sun team idea that I thought of:
Heliolisk @ Choice Specs
Ability: Solar Power
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Hyper Voice

Ninetales @ Heat Rock
Ability: Drought
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Energy Ball
- Will-O-Wisp
- Nasty Plot

Charizard @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast
- Roost

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 8 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Stone Edge

Shiftry @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Knock Off
- Solar Beam
- Sucker Punch
- Defog

Hitmonlee @ Normal Gem
Ability: Unburden
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick
- Knock Off
- Rapid Spin

Base Stats: 62/55/52/109/94/109
Changes in Ninetales's stats: -11 HP, -21 Atk, -23 Def, +28 Sp.Atk, -6 Sp.Def, +9 Speed

A rather odd combination of pals, but bear with me here. Stat-wise, at the expense of some bulk, Ninetales gets a direct improvement in offensive prowess, letting it reach a better Speed tier and actually deal respectable damage. On the other side, Heliolisk benefits by taking advantage of Ninetales's Drought in order to activate its less common Ability: Solar Power. They may not have the best type synergy, but they do have offensive synergy. Heliolisk has Electric STAB to hit most Fire-types neutrally, as well as HP Ice for Dragons, while Ninetales has Energy Ball for Water/Ground-types. Ninetales also has Nasty Plot for increasing its damage output if necessary.

Base Stats: 78/84/78/109/85/100 -> 78/104/78/159/115/100

Mostly a backup sun setter in case Ninetales goes down, although it can do a lot of damage on its own with Fire STAB, Solar Beam, and Focus Blast coming off of its hefty base 159 Special Attack.

Base Stats: 89/145/90/105/80/91
Changes in Shiftry's stats: -1 HP, +45 Atk, +30 Def, +15 Sp.Atk, +20 Sp.Def, +11 Speed
Changes in Hitmonlee's stats: +39 HP, +25 Atk, +37 Def, +70 Sp.Atk, -30 Sp.Def, +4 Speed

With all the special attackers already on the team, I felt like it could use some physical strength as well. What better place to turn than Lando-T+Shiftry with Hitmonlee as backup? Lando-T acts as a defensive pivot for the team that can set up hazards and whittle down those who plan to prey on the weaker defensive stat of the special attackers of the team. Shiftry not only hits hard with its new and improved base 145 Attack, but it also gains a bit of extra Speed with which it can potentially wreak havoc with its STAB moves and remove hazards with Defog if needed. Hitmonlee is an alternative hazard clearer with a failsafe in (potentially Normal Gem-boosted) Fake Out in case an opposing sweeper goes awry in the absence of the sun and/or Shiftry. It also carries Fighting STAB with which it can deal massive damage to Tyranitar and bulky Normal-types.

Perhaps the Shiftry and/or Hitmonlee set could forgo a bit of Speed in favor of Special Attack or extra bulk respectively, because base 91 with Chlorophyll/Unburden is already quite impressive.
added to team archive + pairs added to collection of good pairs

Along with that, here's another neat little weather-related set of pals:
added to collection of good pairs

More importantly: In post #4 with the "Collection of Good Pairs", I can't help but notice that Conkeldurr is paired with Linoone even though Conkeldurr is Brown and Linoone is White. Wouldn't it be Zigzagoon and not Linoone?
fixed

oh and...

Announcement

We now have art, drawn by the amazing f(x)!​

Lcass4919

The Xatu Warrior
so... red gets 3 gale wings users, 1 adaptability user, 1 speed booster, and a support mon that hits 140 attack with respectable 95 speed...that sounds fun to use.

Here's another big post about potential threats, and just cool things I've noticed. This team featuring Pokemon from the same evolutionary line.

55/50/45/135/95/120

Dragalge is pretty neat cause it has a unique type, high power moves, and a great ability. In standard play, its biggest failing point is its lack of speed, but in Palette Pals this is easy to remedy, and to turn Dragalge into a very scary threat. It was already known for being a powerhouse, but having 135 base Special Attack cranks that up to a ridiculous level. To put it in perspective, Life Orb boosted Draco Meteor is actually in a similar damage bracket as Choice Band Kyurem-B Outrage, which is among the strongest unboosted attacks in the game, and Dragalge can still run Choice Specs to become even more powerful. But that's not all it can do. Being in the Brown colour group gives it a lot of choices for pals, like Heatran or Volcanion, but I think one of the more interesting choices for a pal is Landorus-Therian. Besides having some type synergy with Dragalge, Landorus-T grants decent bulk and speed, and solid attacking stats, although it is forced to rely more on physical attacks. A mixed scarf set with Outrage/Gunk Shot/Draco Meteor/Focus Blast seems like a good choice, with lots of power and surprise value. Unfortunately, Dragalge struggles with Steel-types no matter what set it runs, although it has Focus Blast and Hidden Power Fire to help mitigate that.

55/50/45/135/95/120

Did I sell you on Dragalge? Because Skrelp might be just as good, or even better. Unlike Dragalge, Skrelp is a Water/Poison type, meaning that it has very good neutral coverage with just its STAB moves. It doesn't have Focus Blast, but it almost doesn't need it, as the only Steel-types not hit neutrally by Hydro Pump are Empoleon and Ferrothorn, and it can use Thunderbolt and Hidden Power Fire if those are really concerning. I'd actually recommend Thunderbolt, as it hits all Water-types that resist its STAB (except Seismitoad and Gastrodon). Like Dragalge, it has the movepool to run a surprise physical set, too. Skrelp seems like a top pick for an offensive Water-type, and is pretty unique as a Brown Water type.

80/135/130/95/90/70

With Huge Power being banned, you might be lead into believing that Azumarill is worthless in this metagame, but that is anything but the case. If anything, it's even better now that it has access to everything Blue has to offer. Without Huge Power occupying its ability slot, it can now run Sap Sipper as its primary ability, turning one of its weaknesses into an immunity, with a free Attack boost to boot. And since it takes the stats from one of its pals, it can hit almost as hard as it can in standard without needing Huge Power. Metagross seems like a good pal for it as it gives it bulk to set up with Belly Drum, if you choose to go that route, while being faster and almost as strong as in standard play. But Blue is rife with choices, so you can pair it up with Garchomp, Salamence, Azelf, Gyarados..... pretty much whatever fits best with your team. You can even pair it up with Suicune and run that Perish Trapping set. Of course, it has to compete with the rest of the Water types in Blue, but Azumarill can distinguish itself with a unique type and ability.

One set I want to try is speedy Encore, with Life Orb or something. Lock something like Amoonguss or Venusaur into a Grass move, and force them out while gaining free boosts.

70/130/100/55/80/65

It may look obvious but it works. Scizor is one of the strongest pals for Talonflame that isn't type redundant or a dead weight. It grants a 130 base Attack stat to the fiery bird, which is frankly.... pretty overwhelming. Since it also increases Talonflame's bulk, it allows it to set up, burn things, or just take hits easier. But the main thing that pushes Talonflame over the line is the ability to wallbreak and eliminate offensive teams with ease. The increased power is too much to handle for some of Talonflame's conventional checks. Choice Band in particular 2HKOs nearly everything that doesn't resist it, save for some stuff with Intimidate, and even then just barely. Scizor can even Defog away hazards for Talonflame, what's there not to like. The core as a whole is weak to Heatran and friends, but I still firmly believe Scizor + Talonflame is the most broken solid Red pairing.

91/90/106/130/106/78

Shroomish is..... okay. Poison Heal lets it be a defensive Pokemon that doesn't really care about anything stall teams can throw at it, and unlike Breloom, it isn't weak to Psychic and Fairy. In fact, this shroom is much more like Amoonguss than Breloom, in that it's passive and is better suited as a pivot that can support the team. It has the usual Grass moves of Spore, Stun Spore, and Leech Seed, and Synthesis, but it struggles to do much to Grass-types besides non-STAB Sludge Bomb. It can also stallbreak with Swords Dance like Breloom, but it it isn't as good at it, since mono-Grass coverage isn't that great. It does get Drain Punch and Focus Punch, but no STAB hurts. Overall, it doesn't seem as good as other Grass-type pivots, but it does have a small niche. At the very least, it has a better colour pool (Brown) than Breloom (Green), and Heatran is a pal that covers all its weaknesses.

100/134/110/95/100/61

Breloom actually seems way more viable than Shroomish. Tyranitar's stats make it stunningly bulky, while still maintaining its level of power. The Speed stat is still nothing to write home about, but all that means is that Breloom is going to be a bit more reliant on Mach Punch. There are options for faster Breloom, but they all mean losing out on power that Breloom needs, Tyranitar is the best choice all around. The bulk makes Technician Breloom play more like Scizor, and allows it to set up against a lot more, but the set that gets really buffed is Poison Heal, which is now a great stallbreaker. Just watch out for Talonflame.

Also you can run Technician Hidden Power Flying, which kills Heracross and is a solid 3HKO on most defensive Grass types. I don't know about you but that really sells it for me. /s

Last edited:

sin(pi)

lucky n bad
I was halfway through making a monopink Stall team but then Cresselia decided to be yellow :mad:

So I went to see what Yellow has for stall, aaaaand there's precious little. I did learn that Pikachu has Wish, though, and it has okay syngery with Cress too! Pikachu can Wish+VS into Cress to save Moonlight PP, Cress takes Ground-type moves aimed at Pikachu.
But more interesting to me was Shuckle. While Shuckle is kinda bad (it actually has less bulk than Cress), the absurdly low HP means that Pain Split is usable. I think the best option for this is Cofagrigus, because Ghost typing + Mummy + Wisp (+Hex if you're into that) is cancer cool.

So this died WAY too quickly, but it's gonna be eligible for OMotM in October, and I'd love to see it get the plays it deserves. I'll start with just a little discussion in viability.

I feel as though we should be rating donors as opposed to recipients, and start with color. For example, Garchomp is an S-rank donor for Blue, devastating on both offense and defense due to its fantastic offensive stats (Base 80 SpA not withstanding) and huge bulk. This will require a LOT of work, as we'd theoretically have 10 different lists. But I dig the shit out of this metagame and think it would be worth it.

I decided to post what I see as the best 3 donors for each color, Reviews and Reasons coming soon, but most of them will be obvious once you look at the stats
Blue:
~
~
~

Yellow:
~
~
~

Green:
~
~
~

Black:
~
~
~

Brown:
~
~
~

Purple:
~
~
~
Gray:
~
~
-
-Ferrothorn offers great stats, is a great lead, and has Grass Neutrality, which allows him to switch on attacks like EQ and sometimes Earth Power which Klefki would have problems with even with the increased stats as it is weak to Ground, While Klefki takes care of fighting attacks, Both of them are commonly used as hazard setters, not necessary on the same team, but with the new mechanic they surely fit each other quite well, Ferro lays down SR and then Klefki lays down some good ol' spikes, I surely can see this Duo in Hazard-Stack teams.-
~

White:
~
~
~

Pink:
~
~
~

Last edited:

Lcass4919

The Xatu Warrior
I decided to post what I see as the best 3 donors for each color, Reviews and Reasons coming soon, but most of them will be obvious once you look at the stats
Blue:
~
~
~

Yellow:
~
~
~

Green:
~
~
~

Black:
~
~
~

Brown:
~
~
~

Purple:
~
~
~
Gray:
~
~
~

White:
~
~
~

Pink:
~
~
~
...shedinja is terrible as a donor AND a recipient, so i dont think it should be placed on the list, as much as i love the bug. 1 hp is bad nomatter what has it. lol. (shedinja is locked to 1hp, and using its bst gives your brown mons 1hp)

sin(pi)

lucky n bad
...shedinja is terrible as a donor AND a recipient, so i dont think it should be placed on the list, as much as i love the bug. 1 hp is bad nomatter what has it. lol. (shedinja is locked to 1hp, and using its bst gives your brown mons 1hp)
The only reason I can think of is this:
/ds sturdy, brown, all:
Bonsly, Geodude, Golem, Graveler, Regirock, Sudowoodo, Tyrunt
But none of these particularly stand out as doing anything else of interest. They are all immune to sandstorm and give SR, but none have Endeavor, BP, Recycle, or even Pain Split, so they can't carry out Sturdinja's role very well.

Lcass4919

The Xatu Warrior
The only reason I can think of is this:

But none of these particularly stand out as doing anything else of interest. They are all immune to sandstorm and give SR, but none have Endeavor, BP, Recycle, or even Pain Split, so they can't carry out Sturdinja's role very well.
oh shiiit. sturdinja, i stand corrected even without sturdinjas tools, they will still be a pain to take down.

This meta actually has SO MUCH potential. It's basically "stats Inheritance" because you only "inherit" the stats. Hope it has a chance to be OMotM.

Also, Blue is probably the best color. I can think of MANY powerhouses with this color, but I'll just share these below.

+

If you think Landorus I is uber because of Life Orb + Sheer Force, and it "only" has 115 Special Attack, Nidoqueen in this meta has 145 Special Attack AND Sheer Force + Life Orb. Also, it got WAY better coverage options in Fire Blast, Ice Beam, Thunderbolt, Focus Blast, Shadow Ball as well as additional STAB on Sludge Wave. Proof of power:

252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Thundurus-T Focus Blast vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Blissey: 309-364 (47.3 - 55.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

If you run Stealth Rock, you'll guarantee 2HKO even without Stealth Rock. If you want more speed, Thundurus-I or Latios might be better, but this thing is very powerful.
Also this.
+

In AAA, Ice mons that have high Attack, decent coverage and Speed got banned because of overwhelming Refrigerate or Adaptability sets. Now this thing, has more Attack than Weavile or Mamoswine, Refrigerate, good coverage (Refrigerate Return + STAB Stone Edge + Earthquake) AND being able to get past Water types that are physically defenseive because it has Freeze-Dry coming from 110 SpA. It also has Calm Mind and Rock Polish for set up, though if you want to run Special, you better have something like Latios or Thundurus as your stat donor. Salamence is chosen here if you want to have mixed sets but leaning towards Physical offense. Azelf is also a good donor because it's very fast and have high offenses as well.

There are other crazy stuff that Blue have like Hustle Zweilous that have Crunch, Outrage and Superpower. Or, Contrary Malamar, Sniper Kingdra. Man, Blue got so many powerhouses it's almost scary.

oh shiiit. sturdinja, i stand corrected even without sturdinjas tools, they will still be a pain to take down.
Just figured I'd remind that Shedinja is hardcoded to always have 1 hit point. A pokemon with 1 base HP would normally have 143 hit points. So no 1 hp sturdy mons, I'm afraid.

And agreed about Blue being the best colour. There are so many pokemon with high stats in Blue, that's impossible to pick the best one.

Something else I haven't seen mentioned yet is that you can take stats from Kyurem-N. It's the pokemon with the highest BST in this meta and basically the best offensive Gray donor. There aren't really many Gray mons that can take advantage of its mixed spread though.

Lcass4919

The Xatu Warrior
Just figured I'd remind that Shedinja is hardcoded to always have 1 hit point. A pokemon with 1 base HP would normally have 143 hit points. So no 1 hp sturdy mons, I'm afraid.

And agreed about Blue being the best colour. There are so many pokemon with high stats in Blue, that's impossible to pick the best one.

Something else I haven't seen mentioned yet is that you can take stats from Kyurem-N. It's the pokemon with the highest BST in this meta and basically the best offensive Gray donor. There aren't really many Gray mons that can take advantage of its mixed spread though.
oh wait yeah your right.

I was thinking that decreasing the level to 1 for example would decrease it to 1 HP, but apparently 11 is the lowest it can get even on level 1 -if the /statcalc command is working correctly- so I guess I am gonna replace it.. Dere you go Alakazam, which for some reason isn't yellow but I ain't complaining, I may also add in 3 recipient for each donor later.

Blue:
~
~
~

Yellow:
~
~
~

Green:
~
~
~

Black:
~
~
~

Brown:
~
~
~

Purple:
~
~
~
Gray:
~
~
~

White:
~
~
~

Pink:
~
~
~
I need to peruse your rankings more, but Garchomp is unquestionably the best donator for Blue. The only stat it's lacking in is Special Attack, but you could theoretically load it up on a special attacker with a fantastic boosting move and crutch its stupendous bulk. Remember: You're bulkier than Swampert. I've got some stuff to do tonight but I'll look into doing a top 3 of each color myself tonight.

I need to peruse your rankings more, but Garchomp is unquestionably the best donator for Blue. The only stat it's lacking in is Special Attack, but you could theoretically load it up on a special attacker with a fantastic boosting move and crutch its stupendous bulk. Remember: You're bulkier than Swampert. I've got some stuff to do tonight but I'll look into doing a top 3 of each color myself tonight.
Salamence is in the list because even though Garchomp outbulks it and has 2 more speed, Salamence has a better attack, A MUCH better SpA, and also it has more synergy, You still need to have in mind that the pokemon has to be in the team, I get that Garchomp can be a lead, but Salamence offers a better synergy for offensive teams especially due to being immune to ground, which can be useful if it is the donor of steel types like Metagross or Lucario (Both of which would use the stats nicely with their movepool and Mega Metagross's Tough Claws)

Hydreigon also has a ground immunity due to levitate, higher SpA and good enough bulk and attack, also has a fair amount of coverage options to use, and also has the ability to save a lot of momentum due to having U-Turn and an OK speed stat, I can understand if Garchomp is considered a better leader, but Hydreigon also has quite a lot of possibilities, I guess I can switch Hydre with Garchomp, but I prefer if I see more opinions about this.

Thundurus-T is just phenomenal with the right recipients, Higher than 100 speed with great wallbreaking abilities and immunity to electricity allows it to be a great teammate for water types, which are mostly blue type (and do not forget Swoobat), Also as chopin noted, Nidoqueen can be a recipient for this just nicely, Manaphy probably will be able to work out a Tail Glow set with this pokemon, Frogadier is legit apparently too, Swoobat only needs one or two calm minds and the sweep is coming, You get the idea of how this guy is a recipient for nice pokemon, and even though there are other nice Blue special donors, I think this guy is quite good

yeah; "this pokemon gives this pokemon great stats that it can abuse so let's use it" is not a very good approach. instead you should be thinking indeed about whether the stat receiver is receiving good stats but also if the stat giver and stat receiver will actually fit on a team. now i want to discuss something: good entry hazard pairs. hazard pairs are sure to have pokemon synergy so i was wondering what pokemon you can pal up together
Maybe
(Giver) and
(Receiver)

-Ferrothorn offers great stats, is a great lead, and has Grass Neutrality, which allows him to switch on attacks like EQ and sometimes Earth Power which Klefki would have problems with even with the increased stats as it is weak to Ground, While Klefki takes care of fighting attacks, Both of them are commonly used as hazard setters, not necessary on the same team, but with the new mechanic they surely fit each other quite well, Ferro lays down SR and then Klefki lays down some good ol' spikes, I surely can see this Duo in Hazard-Stack teams.-
^Added to the list I made

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)