RU Pangoro

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

Panda king
QC: Arikado / 49 / EonX
GP: Winry / frenzyplant

Overview
########

Pangoro boasts an outstanding Attack stat that is backed by a near-perfect STAB combination, allowing it to solidify itself as one of the premier wallbreakers in the tier. With ORAS, Pangoro gained access to STAB Knock Off, which is significantly stronger than Crunch and also provides very useful utility. Pangoro also gained access to a variety of other coverage moves, such as the elemental punches, Gunk Shot, and Iron Head. Three fantastic abilities complement Pangoro's power: Scrappy alleviates prediction when Pangoro uses Fighting-type moves, Iron Fist gives a boost to Drain Punch and the elemental punches, and Mold Breaker allows Pangoro to bypass opposing Pokemon's abilities, such as Solid Rock, Sturdy, and Unaware. Pangoro is also relatively versatile in that it can use a Choice Band set to have immediate power or a Swords Dance set to punish more defensively inclined teams. Parting Shot gives Pangoro a useful niche over other offensive Pokemon, as it allows Pangoro to pivot out of unfavorable situations and give ease to other teammates. Unfortunately, Pangoro is rather slow for an offensive Pokemon and can easily be revenge killed.

Choice Band
########
name: Choice Band
move 1: Knock Off
move 2: Superpower
move 3: Gunk Shot
move 4: Parting Shot / Ice Punch
ability: Scrappy
item: Choice Band
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
nature: Adamant

Moves
========

Knock Off is a powerful Dark-type attack that hits hard and simultaneously has utility in removing opposing Pokemon's items. Superpower is one of Pangoro's strongest Fighting-type attacks and deals massive damage to anything that does not resist it. Gunk Shot provides important coverage against Fairy-types, which resist Pangoro's STAB moves, such as Granbull, Whimsicott, Togetic, and Aromatisse. Parting Shot allows Pangoro to pivot out of unfavorable situations and soften up attacks for teammates, potentially making way for a setup sweeper. Ice Punch is a solid choice to target Gligar, and it is also a more accurate attack to hit Whimsicott with.

Set Details
========

Maximum Attack investment and an Adamant nature are used to allow Pangoro to hit as hard as possible. A Jolly nature has some merit in being able to outspeed Modest Exploud by one point, but the decrease in power is unwelcome. Choice Band amplifies Pangoro's Attack to massive levels. Scrappy is the preferred ability and alleviates prediction when using Superpower. Iron Fist gives a boost in power to Drain Punch and Ice Punch, notably allowing Pangoro to OHKO Gligar after Stealth Rock damage with Ice Punch. Black Glasses and Black Belt can be used instead of Choice Band to give a boost in power to Pangoro's respective STAB moves, allowing Pangoro to bluff a Choice item.

Usage Tips
========

Knock Off is generally the safest attack to go for, as there are generally little downsides to it due to the massive damage it deals and the utility it has in removing opposing Pokemon's items. However, one must be careful with using Knock Off if the opponent has a Justified Pokemon such as Cobalion or Virizion, in which case it is better to use a Fighting-type move. Later on in a battle, after opposing Pokemon's items have been removed, using Superpower is generally more beneficial, as Knock Off tends to be fairly weak without the power boost from an item. Due to Pangoro's massive offensive presence, opponents are often forced into their check, giving Pangoro some ease to hit a Fairy-type on the switch with Gunk Shot or Gligar with Ice Punch. It is important that Pangoro stays away from status conditions, as they will severely limit its offensive capabilities. However, if Pangoro has Healing Wish or Heal Bell support from teammates, it can play more recklessly.

Team Options
========

Stealth Rock support from Pokemon such as Bronzong, Cobalion, Rhyperior, Mega Camerupt, and Mesprit is helpful to wear down Pangoro's checks and counters. Bronzong can check the Fairy- and Flying-types that trouble Pangoro, and it appreciates the pressure that Pangoro puts on opposing Dark-types. Cobalion provides momentum with Volt Switch but adds to the team's susceptibility to Fighting. Rhyperior also checks Flying-types such as Mega Pidgeot and Fletchinder and handles Fire-types such as Moltres and Houndoom as well. Mesprit appreciates the pressure that Pangoro puts on Dark- and Ghost-types, and it also provides Healing Wish support. Other wallbreakers, such as Meloetta and Dragalge, are good partners to soften up or KO defensive Pokemon for Pangoro. Dragalge appreciates the pressure that Pangoro puts on Psychic- and Steel-types. Setup sweepers such as Tyrantrum, Abomasnow, Mega Sceptile, Doublade, and Fletchinder love Pangoro severely weakening or KOing defensive Pokemon to help their sweep. Volt Switch and U-turn users such as Eelektross, Gligar, Braviary, Whimsicott, and Rotom-C are great teammates that provide momentum to get Pangoro in safely.

NEVER SAY NO TO PANDA (Swords Dance)
########
name: NEVER SAY NO TO PANDA (Swords Dance)
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Drain Punch
move 3: Knock Off
move 4: Iron Head / Gunk Shot
ability: Iron Fist / Mold Breaker
item: Life Orb / Lum Berry
nature: Jolly

Moves
========

Swords Dance boosts Pangoro's Attack to an extremely high level, allowing it to break through defensive Pokemon. Drain Punch is a strong Fighting-type move that is further boosted by Iron Fist and is used over Superpower because the immediate power is not needed. Knock Off is a powerful Dark-type move that hits very hard after a boost and provides great utility in removing opposing Pokemon's items. Iron Head is preferred as a coverage move as a reliable way of hitting Fairy-types, and it is still strong enough that it can OHKO physically defensive Aromatisse after a Swords Dance and Stealth Rock damage. Gunk Shot is an option over Iron Head for higher power, but it should be used with Lum Berry to account for the lack of a power boost from Life Orb.

Set Details
========
Maximum Attack investment allows Pangoro to hit as hard as possible before and after a boost. A Jolly nature is used to outspeed Modest Exploud and the majority of the defensive Pokemon in the tier. Iron Fist is the ability of choice on this set for a boost to Drain Punch. Mold Breaker allows Pangoro to bypass opposing Pokemon's abilities, notably Quagsire's Unaware, which can be very helpful. Life Orb gives a significant boost in power to all of Pangoro's attacks. Lum Berry is a solid choice to avoid a status condition from the likes of Alomomola and Weezing, and it should be used with Gunk Shot to account for Iron Head's lack of power without a Life Orb. Life Orb guarantees a 2HKO on Gligar with a +2 Knock Off, while Lum Berry means that Pangoro does not immediately have to fear status conditions, such as a burn from Alomomola's Scald.

Usage Tips
========

Pangoro should set up a Swords Dance when given the opportunity, particularly when it forces out a defensive Pokemon such as Registeel or Reuniclus. However, Pangoro is much better off firing off attacks versus offensive teams, as it doesn't find many chances to set up a Swords Dance and can easily be revenge killed by faster Pokemon. Knock Off is generally the safest and strongest attack to go for but should be used sparingly when the opponent has a Pokemon with Justified.

Team Options
========

Stealth Rock support from Pokemon such as Bronzong, Cobalion, Rhyperior, Mesprit, Mega Camerupt, and Druddigon is helpful to wear down Pangoro's checks and counters. Notably, Stealth Rock support guarantees an OHKO on physically defensive Aromatisse with a +2 Life Orb Iron Head as well as an OHKO on standard Amoonguss with a +2 Knock Off. Druddigon is a solid partner, as it weakens Fairy-types to the point where a +2 Iron Head or Gunk Shot will finish them off. Mega Camerupt can pivot into Fairy-types and act as a soft check to Choice Scarf Moltres while also acting as a secondary wallbreaker. Mesprit is also a great teammate to provide Healing Wish support, giving Pangoro another chance at sweeping, and it appreciates the pressure that Pangoro puts on Dark-, Steel-, and Ghost-types. Teammates that can handle offensive teams, such as Fletchinder, Mega Pidgeot, Mega Sceptile, and Choice Scarf users such as Rotom-C and Moltres, are helpful, as this set has a better matchup versus defensive teams.

Other Options
########

Substitute lets Pangoro avoid status moves, takes advantage of the switches that Pangoro tends to force, and works exceptionally well in tandem with Focus Punch. Bulk Up is a slower boosting approach that also works well with Substitute. Taunt can be used to prevent entry hazards and status moves, but having a coverage attack is generally more beneficial. Thunder Punch is boosted by Iron Fist and hits the rare Pelipper as well as Alomomola harder than Pangoro's other moves. Choice Scarf allows Pangoro to somewhat alleviate its poor Speed and be a fast pivot with Parting Shot, but without a boosting item, it is fairly weak, and it is outsped by most other common Choice Scarf users. Hammer Arm can be used on the Choice Band set when on a Trick Room team, as the Speed drops from the attack effectively increase Pangoro's Speed under the effects of Trick Room. A Life Orb can be used on the first set for the ability to switch up attacks while still hitting very hard. Assault Vest gives a solid boost to Pangoro's Special Defense and is helpful alongside the recovery provided by Drain Punch.

Checks & Counters
########

**Fairy-types**: While they all must fear a Gunk Shot, Iron Head, or Ice Punch, Fairy-types such as Aromatisse, Granbull, and Togetic resist Pangoro's STAB moves and can OHKO back with a STAB move. Carbink gets a notable mention for being the only Fairy-type that is not hit super effectively by Gunk Shot, but it should be wary of Iron Head from the Swords Dance set. However, all of these Pokemon are crippled by losing their item to Knock Off.

**Faster Pokemon**: While offensive Pokemon have a lot of trouble switching in, Pangoro is somewhat easily revenge killed by faster Pokemon due to its subpar Speed. Common examples include Mega Pidgeot, Cobalion, Moltres, Mega Sceptile, and Braviary.

**Fighting-types**: Fighting-types such as Hitmontop, Gurdurr, Cobalion, and Hitmonlee resist Pangoro's Dark-type attacks and threaten to OHKO it in return. Hitmontop is one of the few physically defensive Pokemon that has an easy time switching into Pangoro's attacks, as it has the ability to soften them with Intimidate and KO in return with Close Combat. Gurdurr can also stomach a hit from Pangoro and KO with Drain Punch or finish it off with Mach Punch, but dislikes losing its Eviolite. While Cobalion has some trouble switching in, it deters Pangoro from using Knock Off due to its ability, Justified. Less bulky Fighting-types such as Hitmonlee cannot switch in but force Pangoro out.

**Flying-types**: Flying-types such as Fletchinder, Golbat, Braviary, and Moltres threaten Pangoro with their STAB moves and resist its Fighting-type STAB moves. Even though none appreciate losing their item from Knock Off, most can use Roost to heal off the damage taken from hits. Braviary outspeeds and KOes Pangoro with Brave Bird, but it has a much harder time switching in, as unlike other Flying-types, it takes neutral damage from Pangoro's Fighting-type attacks. Golbat can also afford to run enough Speed investment to outspeed Jolly Pangoro and KO it with Brave Bird after some prior damage. In addition, all Flying-types have trouble handling Pangoro if Stealth Rock is up.

Last edited:

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
consider SubPunch panda for a set. I have used it very very briefly but I've heard good things about it, this would be the set:

Pangoro @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 180 HP / 252 Atk / 76 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Focus Punch
- Knock Off
- Ice Punch / Gunk Shot

forgot what the speed was for but its probably for Alomomola and a bit more, but yeah. Either use Ice Punch + something to deal with Aromatisse or Gunk Shot + something to deal with Gligar.

it's ok if QC doesn't want it as a set, if not, then at least make a big mention of it in OO.

edit: also i'll take a look at this tomorrow when i wake up, good work tho :]

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
consider SubPunch panda for a set. I have used it very very briefly but I've heard good things about it, this would be the set:

Pangoro @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 180 HP / 252 Atk / 76 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Focus Punch
- Knock Off
- Ice Punch / Gunk Shot

forgot what the speed was for but its probably for Alomomola and a bit more, but yeah. Either use Ice Punch + something to deal with Aromatisse or Gunk Shot + something to deal with Gligar.

it's ok if QC doesn't want it as a set, if not, then at least make a big mention of it in OO.
I'll put that in oo for now, but I'm cool with adding it if other qc members agree.

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
An all out attacker set with Life Orb has some merit in that it still has awesome power but it can switch moves, similar to Clawitzer. IMO it should be Oao material at minimum

tehy

Banned deucer.
For jab, 75% ko against phys. D aroma even at 100% hp, also 100% after rocks and lefties (it switched in on sd, or used protect on a death switch), better than just 'koes afoter sr damage'

Edit: i meant with LO i.e. first slash

Not like defending myself here but lum is second slash as is gunk and sd says to use them together, so w/e

In fact, with LO, you have an Edit: 23.4375% (darn decimals) chance to miss the KO overall, and a 20% chance to miss gunk in any case edit:and therefore accomplish nothing, in case it wasnt obv enough/edit, when you factor in that Aromatisse will be almost dead even if you fail to KO (30% poison will also end its life) i'll take those odds.

Edit: Arikado

Last edited:

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Furthermore, a set with substitute and focus punch can be used, but pangoro's low speed hinders it.
It doesn't. If anything it's a good thing because you set up a sub after the opponent moves (assuming you can tank whatever hit incoming) meaning the next focus punch is guaranteed

Anyway, moving on to the other stuff:

I'm not sure if the choice band set should slash Drain Punch with Superpower and Iron Fist with Scrappy. The main appeal with Pangoro is that it can click Superpower when it wants to without having to predict if say, the opponent has doublade/spiritomb and cobalion in their team. non-iron fist boosted Drain Punch is also considerably weak and two superpowers > two drain punches in terms of damage. I guess both of them could be listed under moves and set details though, but I'd like to see the slashes removed.

In team options mention u-turners or volt switch users (braviary whimsi rotom-c cobalion; cobalion can also set up rocks), they're great to get pangoro in safely.

As for NEVER SAY NO TO PANDA (SD);

+2 252 Atk Pangoro Poison Jab vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Aromatisse: 298-352 (73.3 - 86.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

I don't like that calc.. although with LO that's a kill (only with SR). I'm not sure if you should deslash it and make Gunk Shot the main slash (personally I always used gunk shot), but it's something that should be clearly noted under moves.

In team options, mention something to handle offensive teams/offense in general, because Pangoro doesn't do as well against those as it does against defensive teams. (fletchinder mega pidgeot choice scarfers etc)

You need to slash mold breaker on the sd set so that you can break quag I didn't see anyone post it so if someone did sorry :x also roseli berry in oo because you can take 1 weak moonblast from something like aromatisse. Mention that it should always be used gunk shot though.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
tehy Arikado
When backing up the calcs, I was using those provided in this post by atomicllamas, so I guess I'd like some more input on what the slashes should be.
I'll remove the drain punch and iron fist slashes, but being able to OHKO gligar after rocks is really nice.
Added other stuff too about team options.
Ranger Dave Added, thanks.

aVocado

@ Everstone
Looks pretty good just a few nitpicks:

If Pangoro OHKOs Gligar with Iron Fist on CB then mention that.

I don't think Mega Camerupt and Mesprit are the best examples of Stealth Rock setters. Mention the traditional Bronzong, Cobalion, Rhyperior, etc. setters.

On the SD set, mention the difference between LO and Lum. The most notable that I could find is the 2HKO on Gligar with LO:

+2 252 Atk Life Orb Pangoro Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Gligar: 187-220 (56.1 - 66%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 Atk Pangoro Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Gligar: 144-169 (43.2 - 50.7%) -- 2% chance to 2HKO

In return, mention that Lum doesn't fear scald burns from Alomomola (or quagsire in the future; but leave that out for now) and can set up on ballsy Registeels staying in to t-wave. I am unsure of Mold Breaker slash but I could work with it, I feel as if it's set details material but eh, it's small enough to skip right now and let other qc members decide o.o

QC Approved 1/3

edit: the stealth rock setters applies to both sets. i think mesprit is cool tho, healing wish is indeed nice.

ayte

i wouldn't actually mention golbat as a pokemon jolly pangoro gets the drop on, as i know for a fact that the golbat update will involve speed investment put in effect for the express purpose of outpacing jolly pangoro; just mention that it allows pangoro comfortably outpace the majority of defensive pokemon within the tier, that commonly sit at no higher than ~85 base speed benchmark, sans those that choose to speed creep somewhat heavily (such as golbat, in this case). i rather dislike spikes mentions here, as whilst any given pokemon appreciates extra damage on the opponent to some extent, pangoro is the type of pokemon that retains minimal benefits of them, and i'd rather avoid misconceptions that everything in the tier needs spikes to function :[l] do expand upon what particular kind of support the sr users you mention offer to pangoro, since the vagueness here might suggest just any setter would do, which wouldn't be inherently wrong, but i'd rather note those of auspicious value to pangoro here. ex: drudd can force damage unto fairy's such that they are put into (+2) poison coverage ko range, camel can pivot these fairy's and scarf moltres to an extent, mesprit provides healing wish and can bait more defensively-inclined steels with which to set up on.

i also dislike the mentions of priority users here, since it seems to imply any of them need priority to handle pangoro, which they don't all that much :[l] instead, i would simply attribute gurdurr and hitmontop to 'bulky fighting-types', mentioning that lesser bulky ones (such as hitmonlee) can force it out, but not switch in, then mention things like fletchinder / moltres / golbat as bulk-end flyers, whom can commonly switch in with a fair amount of ease, threaten with their stab, and commonly roost off damage in order to minimize the impact of that switch. then go on to state that keeping sr up can limit the latter's ability to check pangoro, and you should be golden.

anywho, this is looking reasonable, so i have no more qualms

2/3

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
Looks pretty good just a few nitpicks:

If Pangoro OHKOs Gligar with Iron Fist on CB then mention that.

I don't think Mega Camerupt and Mesprit are the best examples of Stealth Rock setters. Mention the traditional Bronzong, Cobalion, Rhyperior, etc. setters.

On the SD set, mention the difference between LO and Lum. The most notable that I could find is the 2HKO on Gligar with LO:

+2 252 Atk Life Orb Pangoro Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Gligar: 187-220 (56.1 - 66%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 Atk Pangoro Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Gligar: 144-169 (43.2 - 50.7%) -- 2% chance to 2HKO

In return, mention that Lum doesn't fear scald burns from Alomomola (or quagsire in the future; but leave that out for now) and can set up on ballsy Registeels staying in to t-wave. I am unsure of Mold Breaker slash but I could work with it, I feel as if it's set details material but eh, it's small enough to skip right now and let other qc members decide o.o

QC Approved 1/3

edit: the stealth rock setters applies to both sets. i think mesprit is cool tho, healing wish is indeed nice.
ayte

i wouldn't actually mention golbat as a pokemon jolly pangoro gets the drop on, as i know for a fact that the golbat update will involve speed investment put in effect for the express purpose of outpacing jolly pangoro; just mention that it allows pangoro comfortably outpace the majority of defensive pokemon within the tier, that commonly sit at no higher than ~85 base speed benchmark, sans those that choose to speed creep somewhat heavily (such as golbat, in this case). i rather dislike spikes mentions here, as whilst any given pokemon appreciates extra damage on the opponent to some extent, pangoro is the type of pokemon that retains minimal benefits of them, and i'd rather avoid misconceptions that everything in the tier needs spikes to function :[l] do expand upon what particular kind of support the sr users you mention offer to pangoro, since the vagueness here might suggest just any setter would do, which wouldn't be inherently wrong, but i'd rather note those of auspicious value to pangoro here. ex: drudd can force damage unto fairy's such that they are put into (+2) poison coverage ko range, camel can pivot these fairy's and scarf moltres to an extent, mesprit provides healing wish and can bait more defensively-inclined steels with which to set up on.

i also dislike the mentions of priority users here, since it seems to imply any of them need priority to handle pangoro, which they don't all that much :[l] instead, i would simply attribute gurdurr and hitmontop to 'bulky fighting-types', mentioning that lesser bulky ones (such as hitmonlee) can force it out, but not switch in, then mention things like fletchinder / moltres / golbat as bulk-end flyers, whom can commonly switch in with a fair amount of ease, threaten with their stab, and commonly roost off damage in order to minimize the impact of that switch. then go on to state that keeping sr up can limit the latter's ability to check pangoro, and you should be golden.

anywho, this is looking reasonable, so i have no more qualms

2/3
Implemented, thanks! Will write this asap, let me know if I missed something.

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
  • Mention Sub + Bulk Up in OO.
  • Also mention Hammer Arm for the CB set if using Iron Fist (when you mention it in OO)
  • Assault Vest in OO since Drain Punch is STAB recovery (and boosted by Iron Fist)
  • Add Iron Head to the moves Fairies have to watch out for since it's the primary slash for SD
  • Note that Braviary can get smashed by Superpower due to being neutral to the move. All Flying-types begin having trouble if Rocks are up
  • Maybe mention somewhere in C&C that offensive pressure + hazards can make it hard for Pangoro to have a big impact due to no recovery and subpar Speed.

Generally small stuff, but the meat is fine. QC Approved 3/3

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
  • Mention Sub + Bulk Up in OO.
  • Also mention Hammer Arm for the CB set if using Iron Fist (when you mention it in OO)
  • Assault Vest in OO since Drain Punch is STAB recovery (and boosted by Iron Fist)
  • Add Iron Head to the moves Fairies have to watch out for since it's the primary slash for SD
  • Note that Braviary can get smashed by Superpower due to being neutral to the move. All Flying-types begin having trouble if Rocks are up
  • Maybe mention somewhere in C&C that offensive pressure + hazards can make it hard for Pangoro to have a big impact due to no recovery and subpar Speed.
Generally small stuff, but the meat is fine. QC Approved 3/3
Implemented, thanks!

Winry

Super Graduate-Level Napper
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Add or Corrections / Remove / Comments
Overview
########

Pangoro boasts an outstanding Attack stat, (AC) which is backed by a near-perfect STAB combination that solidifies Pangoro to solidify itself as one of the premier wallbreakers in the tier. With ORAS, Pangoro gained access to STAB Knock Off, which is significantly stronger compared to Crunch, (RC) and also provides very useful utility. Pangoro also gained access to a variety of other coverage moves, such as the elemental punches, Gunk Shot, and Iron Head. Three fantastic abilities complement Pangoro's power: Scrappy alleviates prediction from Pangoro when it uses using it's Fighting-type moves, Iron Fist gives a boost to Drain Punch and the elemental punches, and Mold Breaker allows Pangoro to bypass abilities of opposing Pokemon such as Solid Rock, Sturdy, and Unaware. Pangoro is also relatively versatile in that it can use a Choice Band set to have immediate power get off immediate powerful attacks or a Swords Dance set to punish more defensively inclined teams. Parting Shot gives Pangoro a useful niche over other offensive Pokemon, as it allows Pangoro to pivot out of unfavorable situations and give ease to other teammates. Unfortunately, Pangoro is rather slow for an offensive Pokemon and can easily be revenge killed.

Choice Band
########

Moves
========

Knock Off is powerful Dark-type attack that hits hard and simultaneously has utility in removing opponents opposing Pokemon's items. Superpower is one of Pangoro's strongest Fighting-type attacks and deals massive damage to anything that does not resist it. Gunk Shot provides important coverage on Fairy-types, (AC) which that resist Pangoro's STAB moves, such as Granbull, Whimsicott, Togetic, and Aromatisse. Parting Shot allows Pangoro to pivot out of unfavorable situations and soften up attacks for teammates, (AC) and potentially giving way for a setup sweeper. Ice Punch is a solid choice to target Gligar, and it is also a more accurate attack to hit Whimsicott with.

Set Details
========

Maximum Attack investment and an Adamant nature is used to allow Pangoro to hit as hard as possible. A Jolly nature has some merit in being able to outspeed Modest Exploud by one point, but the decrease in power is unwelcome. Choice Band amplifies Pangoro's Attack to massive levels. Scrappy is the preferred ability and alleviates prediction when using Superpower. Iron Fist gives a boost in power to Pangoro's punching moves, being Drain Punch and Ice Punch, notably notability allowing Pangoro to OHKO Gligar after Stealth Rock damage with Ice Punch. Black Glasses or Black Belt give a boost in power to Pangoro's respective STAB moves, allowing Pangoro to bluff a Choice Item.

Usage Tips
========

Knock Off is generally the safest attack to go for, as there are generally little downsides to it due to the massive damage it deals and the utility it has in removing opponents opposing Pokemon's items. However, one must be careful with using Knock Off if the opponent has a Justified Pokemon such as Cobalion or Virizion, in which case it is better to use a Fighting-type move. Later on in a battle after opponent's opposing Pokemon's items have been removed, using Superpower is generally more beneficial, (AC) as Knock Off tends to be fairly weak without a power boost from removing an item. Due to Pangoro's massive offensive presence, opponents are often forced into their check, giving Pangoro some ease to hit a Fairy-type on the switch with Gunk Shot or Gligar with Ice Punch. It is important that Pangoro stays away from status conditions, as they will severely limit its offensive capabilities. However, if Pangoro has Healing Wish or Heal Bell support from teammates, (AC) it can play more recklessly.

Team Options
========

Stealth Rock support from Pokemon such as Bronzong, Cobalion, Rhyperior, Mega Camerupt, and Mesprit is helpful to wear down Pangoro's checks and counters. Bronzong can check the Fairy- and Flying-types that trouble Pangoro, and it appreciates the pressure that Pangoro puts on opposing Dark-types. Cobalion provides momentum with Volt Switch, (RC) but adds to the team's susceptibility to Fighting compounds a Fighting weakness. Rhyperior also checks Flying-types such as Mega Pidgeot and Fletchinder, (RC) but also and handles Fire-types such as Moltres and Houndoom. Mesprit appreciates the pressure that Pangoro puts on Dark- and Ghost-types, and it also provides Healing Wish support. Other wallbreakers such as Meloetta and Dragalge are good partners to soften up or KO defensive Pokemon for each other. Dragalage appreciates the pressure that Pangoro puts on Psychic- and Steel-types. Setup sweepers such as Tyrantrum, Abomasnow, Mega Sceptile, Doublade, and Fletchinder love Pangoro severely weakening or KOing defensive Pokemon to help their sweep. Volt Switch and U-turn users such as Eelektross, Gligar, Braviary, Whimsicott, and Rotom-C are great teammates that provide momentum to get Pangoro in safely.

NEVER SAY NO TO PANDA
########
name: NEVER SAY NO TO PANDA

Moves
========

Swords Dance boosts Pangoro's Attack to an extremely high level, allowing it to break through defensive Pokemon. Drain Punch is a strong Fighting-type move that is further boosted by Iron Fist, (RC) and is used over Superpower, (AC) as the immediate power is not needed. Knock Off is a powerful Dark-type move that hits very hard after a boost and provides great utility in removing the opposing Pokemon's items. Iron Head is preferred as a coverage move as a reliable way of hitting Fairy-types, and it is still strong enough that it can OHKO physically defensive Aromatisse after a Swords Dance and Stealth Rock damage. Gunk Shot's higher power is an option over Iron Head, but should be used with Lum Berry to account for the lack of a power boost from Life Orb.

Set Details
========
Maximum Attack investment allows Pangoro to hit as hard as possible before and after a boost. A Jolly nature is used to outspeed Modest Exploud and the majority of the defensive Pokemon in the tier. Iron Fist is the ability of choice on this set for a boost to Drain Punch. Mold Breaker allows Pangoro to bypass opposing Pokemon's abilities, notably Quagsire's Unaware, which can be very helpful. Life Orb gives a significant boost in power to all of Pangoro's attacks. Lum Berry is a solid choice to avoid a status condition from the likes of Alomomola and Weezing, and it should be used with Gunk Shot to account for the lack of power without a Life Orb. It is notable that a Life Orb guarantees a 2HKO on Gligar with a +2 Knock Off, while a Lum Berry means that Pangoro does not immediately have to fear status conditions, such as a burn from Alomomola's Scald.

Usage Tips
========

Pangoro should set up a Swords Dance when given the opportunity, particularly when it forces out a defensive Pokemon such as Registeel or Reuniclus. However, Pangoro is much better off firing off attacks versus offensive teams, as it doesn't find many chances to set up a Swords Dance and can easily be revenge killed by faster Pokemon. Knock Off is generally the safest and strongest attack to go for, (RC) but should be used sparingly when the opponent has a Pokemon with Justified.

Team Options
========

Stealth Rock support from Pokemon such as Bronzong, Cobalion, Rhyperior, Mesprit, Mega Camerupt, and Druddigon is helpful to wear down Pangoro's checks and counters. Notably, Stealth Rock support guarantees an OHKO on physically defensive Aromatisse with a +2 Life Orb Iron Head as well as an OHKO on standard Amoonguss with a +2 Knock Off. Druddigon is a solid partner, as it weakens Fairy-types to the point where a +2 Iron Head or Gunk Shot will finish them off. Mega Camerupt can pivot into Fairy-types and act as a soft check to Choice Scarf Moltres, (RC) while also acting as a secondary wallbreaker. Mesprit is also a great teammate to provide Healing Wish support, giving Pangoro another chance at sweeping, and it appreciates the pressure that Pangoro puts on Dark-, Steel-, and Ghost-types. Teammates that can handle offensive teams, such as Fletchinder, Mega Pidgeot, Mega Sceptile, and Choice Scarf users such as Rotom-C and Moltres are helpful, as this set has a better matchup versus defensive teams.

Other Options
########

Substitute avoids status moves, (AC) and takes advantage of the switches that Pangoro tends to force, and works exceptionally well in tandem with Focus Punch. Bulk Up is a slower boosting approach that also works well with Substitute. Taunt can be used to prevent entry hazards and status moves, but having a coverage attack is generally more beneficial. Thunder Punch is boosted by Iron Fist and hits the rare Pelipper as well as Alomomola harder than its Pangoro's other moves. Choice Scarf allows Pangoro to somewhat alleviate its poor Speed and have a fast pivot with Parting Shot, but without a boosting item, (AC) it is fairly weak and is outsped by most other common Choice Scarf users. Hammer Arm can be used on the Choice Band set when on a Trick Room team, as the Speed drops from the attack effectively increase its Speed under the effects of Trick Room. A Life Orb can be used on the first set for the ability to switch up attacks while still hitting very hard. Assault Vest gives a solid boost to Pangoro's Special Defense and is helpful alongside the recovery provided by Drain Punch having the recovery of Drain Punch is helpful alongside this.

Checks & Counters
########

**Fairy-types**: While they all must fear a Gunk Shot, Iron Head, or Ice Punch, Fairy-types such as Aromatisse, Granbull, and Togetic resist Pangoro's STAB moves and can OHKO back with a STAB move. Carbink gets a notable mention of being the only Fairy-type that is not hit super effectively by Gunk Shot, but should be wary of Iron Head from the Swords Dance set. However, all of these Pokemon are crippled by losing their item to Knock Off.

**Faster Pokemon**: While offensive Pokemon have a lot of trouble switching in, Pangoro is somewhat easily revenge killed by faster Pokemon due to its subpar Speed. Common examples include Mega Pidgeot, Cobalion, Moltres, Mega Sceptile, and Braviary.

**Fighting-types**: Hitmontop is one of the few physically defensive Pokemon that has an easy time switching into Pangoro's attacks, as it has the ability being able to soften them with Intimidate and KO in return with Close Combat. Gurdurr can also stomach a hit from Pangoro and KO with Drain Punch or finish it off with Mach Punch, but dislikes losing its Eviolite. While Cobalion has some trouble switching in, it deters Pangoro from using Knock Off due to its ability, Justified. Less bulky Fighting-types such as Hitmonlee cannot switch in, but force Pangoro out.

**Flying-types**: Flying-types such as Fletchinder, Golbat, Braviary, and Moltres threaten Pangoro with their STAB moves and resist its Fighting-type STAB moves. However, none appreciate losing their item from Knock Off, but most can use Roost to heal off the damage taken from hits. Braviary outspeeds and KOes Pangoro, but it has a much harder time switching in, (AC) as it takes neutral damage from Pangoro's Fighting-type attacks, unlike other Flying-types. Golbat can also afford to run enough Speed investment to outspeed Jolly Pangoro and KO it with Brave Bird after some prior damage. In addition, all Flying-types have trouble handling Pangoro if Stealth Rock is up.
1/2

Last edited:

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
Add or Corrections / Remove / Comments
Overview
########

Pangoro boasts an outstanding Attack stat, (AC) which is backed by a near-perfect STAB combination that solidifies Pangoro to solidify itself as one of the premier wallbreakers in the tier. With ORAS, Pangoro gained access to STAB Knock Off, which is significantly stronger compared to Crunch, (RC) and also provides very useful utility. Pangoro also gained access to a variety of other coverage moves, such as the elemental punches, Gunk Shot, and Iron Head. Three fantastic abilities complement Pangoro's power: Scrappy alleviates prediction from Pangoro when it uses using it's Fighting-type moves, Iron Fist gives a boost to Drain Punch and the elemental punches, and Mold Breaker allows Pangoro to bypass abilities of opposing Pokemon such as Solid Rock, Sturdy, and Unaware. Pangoro is also relatively versatile in that it can use a Choice Band set to have immediate power get off immediate powerful attacks or a Swords Dance set to punish more defensively inclined teams. Parting Shot gives Pangoro a useful niche over other offensive Pokemon, as it allows Pangoro to pivot out of unfavorable situations and give ease to other teammates. Unfortunately, Pangoro is rather slow for an offensive Pokemon and can easily be revenge killed.

Choice Band
########

Moves
========

Knock Off is powerful Dark-type attack that hits hard and simultaneously has utility in removing opponents opposing Pokemon's items. Superpower is one of Pangoro's strongest Fighting-type attacks and deals massive damage to anything that does not resist it. Gunk Shot provides important coverage on Fairy-types, (AC) which that resist Pangoro's STAB moves, such as Granbull, Whimsicott, Togetic, and Aromatisse. Parting Shot allows Pangoro to pivot out of unfavorable situations and soften up attacks for teammates, (AC) and potentially giving way for a setup sweeper. Ice Punch is a solid choice to target Gligar, and it is also a more accurate attack to hit Whimsicott with.

Set Details
========

Maximum Attack investment and an Adamant nature is used to allow Pangoro to hit as hard as possible. A Jolly nature has some merit in being able to outspeed Modest Exploud by one point, but the decrease in power is unwelcome. Choice Band amplifies Pangoro's Attack to massive levels. Scrappy is the preferred ability and alleviates prediction when using Superpower. Iron Fist gives a boost in power to Pangoro's punching moves, being Drain Punch and Ice Punch, notably notability allowing Pangoro to OHKO Gligar after Stealth Rock damage with Ice Punch. Black Glasses or Black Belt give a boost in power to Pangoro's respective STAB moves, allowing Pangoro to bluff a Choice Item.

Usage Tips
========

Knock Off is generally the safest attack to go for, as there are generally little downsides to it due to the massive damage it deals and the utility it has in removing opponents opposing Pokemon's items. However, one must be careful with using Knock Off if the opponent has a Justified Pokemon such as Cobalion or Virizion, in which case it is better to use a Fighting-type move. Later on in a battle after opponent's opposing Pokemon's items have been removed, using Superpower is generally more beneficial, (AC) as Knock Off tends to be fairly weak without a power boost from removing an item. Due to Pangoro's massive offensive presence, opponents are often forced into their check, giving Pangoro some ease to hit a Fairy-type on the switch with Gunk Shot or Gligar with Ice Punch. It is important that Pangoro stays away from status conditions, as they will severely limit its offensive capabilities. However, if Pangoro has Healing Wish or Heal Bell support from teammates, (AC) it can play more recklessly.

Team Options
========

Stealth Rock support from Pokemon such as Bronzong, Cobalion, Rhyperior, Mega Camerupt, and Mesprit is helpful to wear down Pangoro's checks and counters. Bronzong can check the Fairy- and Flying-types that trouble Pangoro, and it appreciates the pressure that Pangoro puts on opposing Dark-types. Cobalion provides momentum with Volt Switch, (RC) but adds to the team's susceptibility to Fighting compounds a Fighting weakness. Rhyperior also checks Flying-types such as Mega Pidgeot and Fletchinder, (RC) but also and handles Fire-types such as Moltres and Houndoom. Mesprit appreciates the pressure that Pangoro puts on Dark- and Ghost-types, and it also provides Healing Wish support. Other wallbreakers such as Meloetta and Dragalge are good partners to soften up or KO defensive Pokemon for each other. Dragalage appreciates the pressure that Pangoro puts on Psychic- and Steel-types. Setup sweepers such as Tyrantrum, Abomasnow, Mega Sceptile, Doublade, and Fletchinder love Pangoro severely weakening or KOing defensive Pokemon to help their sweep. Volt Switch and U-turn users such as Eelektross, Gligar, Braviary, Whimsicott, and Rotom-C are great teammates that provide momentum to get Pangoro in safely.

NEVER SAY NO TO PANDA
########
name: NEVER SAY NO TO PANDA

Moves
========

Swords Dance boosts Pangoro's Attack to an extremely high level, allowing it to break through defensive Pokemon. Drain Punch is a strong Fighting-type move that is further boosted by Iron Fist, (RC) and is used over Superpower, (AC) as the immediate power is not needed. Knock Off is a powerful Dark-type move that hits very hard after a boost and provides great utility in removing the opposing Pokemon's items. Iron Head is preferred as a coverage move as a reliable way of hitting Fairy-types, and it is still strong enough that it can OHKO physically defensive Aromatisse after a Swords Dance and Stealth Rock damage. Gunk Shot's higher power is an option over Iron Head, but should be used with Lum Berry to account for the lack of a power boost from Life Orb.

Set Details
========
Maximum Attack investment allows Pangoro to hit as hard as possible before and after a boost. A Jolly nature is used to outspeed Modest Exploud and the majority of the defensive Pokemon in the tier. Iron Fist is the ability of choice on this set for a boost to Drain Punch. Mold Breaker allows Pangoro to bypass opposing Pokemon's abilities, notably Quagsire's Unaware, which can be very helpful. Life Orb gives a significant boost in power to all of Pangoro's attacks. Lum Berry is a solid choice to avoid a status condition from the likes of Alomomola and Weezing, and it should be used with Gunk Shot to account for the lack of power without a Life Orb. It is notable that a Life Orb guarantees a 2HKO on Gligar with a +2 Knock Off, while a Lum Berry means that Pangoro does not immediately have to fear status conditions, such as a burn from Alomomola's Scald.

Usage Tips
========

Pangoro should set up a Swords Dance when given the opportunity, particularly when it forces out a defensive Pokemon such as Registeel or Reuniclus. However, Pangoro is much better off firing off attacks versus offensive teams, as it doesn't find many chances to set up a Swords Dance and can easily be revenge killed by faster Pokemon. Knock Off is generally the safest and strongest attack to go for, (RC) but should be used sparingly when the opponent has a Pokemon with Justified.

Team Options
========

Stealth Rock support from Pokemon such as Bronzong, Cobalion, Rhyperior, Mesprit, Mega Camerupt, and Druddigon is helpful to wear down Pangoro's checks and counters. Notably, Stealth Rock support guarantees an OHKO on physically defensive Aromatisse with a +2 Life Orb Iron Head as well as an OHKO on standard Amoonguss with a +2 Knock Off. Druddigon is a solid partner, as it weakens Fairy-types to the point where a +2 Iron Head or Gunk Shot will finish them off. Mega Camerupt can pivot into Fairy-types and act as a soft check to Choice Scarf Moltres, (RC) while also acting as a secondary wallbreaker. Mesprit is also a great teammate to provide Healing Wish support, giving Pangoro another chance at sweeping, and it appreciates the pressure that Pangoro puts on Dark-, Steel-, and Ghost-types. Teammates that can handle offensive teams, such as Fletchinder, Mega Pidgeot, Mega Sceptile, and Choice Scarf users such as Rotom-C and Moltres are helpful, as this set has a better matchup versus defensive teams.

Other Options
########

Substitute avoids status moves, (AC) and takes advantage of the switches that Pangoro tends to force, and works exceptionally well in tandem with Focus Punch. Bulk Up is a slower boosting approach that also works well with Substitute. Taunt can be used to prevent entry hazards and status moves, but having a coverage attack is generally more beneficial. Thunder Punch is boosted by Iron Fist and hits the rare Pelipper as well as Alomomola harder than its Pangoro's other moves. Choice Scarf allows Pangoro to somewhat alleviate its poor Speed and have a fast pivot with Parting Shot, but without a boosting item, (AC) it is fairly weak and is outsped by most other common Choice Scarf users. Hammer Arm can be used on the Choice Band set when on a Trick Room team, as the Speed drops from the attack effectively increase its Speed under the effects of Trick Room. A Life Orb can be used on the first set for the ability to switch up attacks while still hitting very hard. Assault Vest gives a solid boost to Pangoro's Special Defense and is helpful alongside the recovery provided by Drain Punch having the recovery of Drain Punch is helpful alongside this.

Checks & Counters
########

**Fairy-types**: While they all must fear a Gunk Shot, Iron Head, or Ice Punch, Fairy-types such as Aromatisse, Granbull, and Togetic resist Pangoro's STAB moves and can OHKO back with a STAB move. Carbink gets a notable mention of being the only Fairy-type that is not hit super effectively by Gunk Shot, but should be wary of Iron Head from the Swords Dance set. However, all of these Pokemon are crippled by losing their item to Knock Off.

**Fighting-types**: Hitmontop is one of the few physically defensive Pokemon that has an easy time switching into Pangoro's attacks, as it has the ability being able to soften them with Intimidate and KO in return with Close Combat. Gurdurr can also stomach a hit from Pangoro and KO with Drain Punch or finish it off with Mach Punch, but dislikes losing its Eviolite. While Cobalion has some trouble switching in, it deters Pangoro from using Knock Off due to its ability, Justified. Less bulky Fighting-types such as Hitmonlee cannot switch in, but force Pangoro out.

**Flying-types**: Flying-types such as Fletchinder, Golbat, Braviary, and Moltres threaten Pangoro with their STAB moves and resist its Fighting-type STAB moves. However, none appreciate losing their item from Knock Off, but most can use Roost to heal off the damage taken from hits. Braviary outspeeds and KOes Pangoro, but it has a much harder time switching in, (AC) as it takes neutral damage from Pangoro's Fighting-type attacks, unlike other Flying-types. Golbat can also afford to run enough Speed investment to outspeed Jolly Pangoro and KO it with Brave Bird after some prior damage. In addition, all Flying-types have trouble handling Pangoro if Stealth Rock is up.
1/2
Implemented, thanks! Lets get this finished up~

frenzyplant

Inertia is a property of matter.
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
2/2 :)

add remove (comments)

Overview
########

Pangoro boasts an outstanding Attack stat, which that is backed by a near-perfect STAB combination, allowing it to solidify that solidifies itself (the STAB combination is not a wallbreaker) as one of the premier wallbreakers in the tier. With ORAS, Pangoro gained access to STAB Knock Off, which is significantly stronger than compared to Crunch and also provides very useful utility. Pangoro also gained access to a variety of other coverage moves, such as the elemental punches, Gunk Shot, and Iron Head. Three fantastic abilities complement Pangoro's power: Scrappy alleviates prediction from Pangoro when it Pangoro uses Fighting-type moves, Iron Fist gives a boost to Drain Punch and the elemental punches, and Mold Breaker allows Pangoro to bypass opposing Pokemon's abilities, (comma) of opposing Pokemon such as Solid Rock, Sturdy, and Unaware. Pangoro is also relatively versatile in that it can use a Choice Band set to have immediate power or a Swords Dance set to punish more defensively inclined teams. Parting Shot gives Pangoro a useful niche over other offensive Pokemon, as it allows Pangoro to pivot out of unfavorable situations and give ease to other teammates. Unfortunately, Pangoro is rather slow for an offensive Pokemon and can easily be revenge killed.

Choice Band
########

Moves
========

Knock Off is a powerful Dark-type attack that hits hard and simultaneously has utility in removing opposing Pokemon's items. Superpower is one of Pangoro's strongest Fighting-type attacks and deals massive damage to anything that does not resist it. Gunk Shot provides important coverage against on Fairy-types, which resist Pangoro's STAB moves, such as Granbull, Whimsicott, Togetic, and Aromatisse. Parting Shot allows Pangoro to pivot out of unfavorable situations and soften up attacks for teammates, potentially making giving way for a setup sweeper. Ice Punch is a solid choice to target Gligar, and it is also a more accurate attack to hit Whimsicott with.

Set Details
========

Maximum Attack investment and an Adamant nature are is used to allow Pangoro to hit as hard as possible. A Jolly nature has some merit in being able to outspeed Modest Exploud by one point, but the decrease in power is unwelcome. Choice Band amplifies Pangoro's Attack to massive levels. Scrappy is the preferred ability and alleviates prediction when using Superpower. Iron Fist gives a boost in power to Pangoro's punching moves, Drain Punch and Ice Punch, however, notably allowing Pangoro to OHKO Gligar after Stealth Rock damage with Ice Punch. Black Glasses or and Black Belt can be used instead of Choice Band to give a boost in power to Pangoro's respective STAB moves, allowing Pangoro to bluff a Choice item.

Usage Tips
========

Knock Off is generally the safest attack to go for, as there are generally little downsides to it due to the massive damage it deals and the utility it has in removing opposing Pokemon's items. However, one must be careful with using Knock Off if the opponent has a Justified Pokemon such as Cobalion or Virizion, in which case it is better to use a Fighting-type move. Later on in a battle, (comma) after opposing Pokemon's items have been removed, using Superpower is generally more beneficial, as Knock Off tends to be fairly weak without a the power boost from an item. Due to Pangoro's massive offensive presence, opponents are often forced into their check, giving Pangoro some ease to hit a Fairy-type on the switch with Gunk Shot or Gligar with Ice Punch. It is important that Pangoro stays away from status conditions, as they will severely limit its offensive capabilities. However, if Pangoro has Healing Wish or Heal Bell support from teammates, it can play more recklessly.

Team Options
========

Stealth Rock support from Pokemon such as Bronzong, Cobalion, Rhyperior, Mega Camerupt, and Mesprit is helpful to wear down Pangoro's checks and counters. Bronzong can check the Fairy- and Flying-types that trouble Pangoro, and it appreciates the pressure that Pangoro puts on opposing Dark-types. Cobalion provides momentum with Volt Switch but adds to the team's susceptibility to Fighting. Rhyperior also checks Flying-types such as Mega Pidgeot and Fletchinder, but also and handles Fire-types such as Moltres and Houndoom as well. Mesprit appreciates the pressure that Pangoro puts on Dark- and Ghost-types, and it also provides Healing Wish support. Other wallbreakers, (comma) such as Meloetta and Dragalge, (comma) are good partners to soften up or KO defensive Pokemon for Pangoro each other. Dragalge appreciates the pressure that Pangoro puts on Psychic- and Steel-types. Setup sweepers such as Tyrantrum, Abomasnow, Mega Sceptile, Doublade, and Fletchinder love Pangoro severely weakening or KOing defensive Pokemon to help their sweep. Volt Switch and U-turn users such as Eelektross, Gligar, Braviary, Whimsicott, and Rotom-C are great teammates that provide momentum to get Pangoro in safely.

NEVER SAY NO TO PANDA (Swords Dance)
########
name: NEVER SAY NO TO PANDA (Swords Dance) (adds clarity)

Moves
========

Swords Dance boosts Pangoro's Attack to an extremely high level, allowing it to break through defensive Pokemon. Drain Punch is a strong Fighting-type move that is further boosted by Iron Fist and is used over Superpower, as because the immediate power is not needed. Knock Off is a powerful Dark-type move that hits very hard after a boost and provides great utility in removing the opposing Pokemon's items. Iron Head is preferred as a coverage move as a reliable way of hitting Fairy-types, and it is still strong enough that it can OHKO physically defensive Aromatisse after a Swords Dance and Stealth Rock damage. Gunk Shot's higher power is an option over Iron Head for higher power, but it should be used with Lum Berry to account for the lack of a power boost from Life Orb.

Set Details
========
Maximum Attack investment allows Pangoro to hit as hard as possible before and after a boost. A Jolly nature is used to outspeed Modest Exploud and the majority of the defensive Pokemon in the tier. Iron Fist is the ability of choice on this set for a boost to Drain Punch. Mold Breaker allows Pangoro to bypass opposing Pokemon's abilities, notably Quagsire's Unaware, which can be very helpful. Life Orb gives a significant boost in power to all of Pangoro's attacks. Lum Berry is a solid choice to avoid a status condition from the likes of Alomomola and Weezing, and it should be used with Gunk Shot to account for Iron Head's the lack of power without a Life Orb. It is notable that a Life Orb guarantees a 2HKO on Gligar with a +2 Knock Off, while a Lum Berry means that Pangoro does not immediately have to fear status conditions, such as a burn from Alomomola's Scald.

Usage Tips
========

Pangoro should set up a Swords Dance when given the opportunity, particularly when it forces out a defensive Pokemon such as Registeel or Reuniclus. However, Pangoro is much better off firing off attacks versus offensive teams, as it doesn't find many chances to set up a Swords Dance and can easily be revenge killed by faster Pokemon. Knock Off is generally the safest and strongest attack to go for but should be used sparingly when the opponent has a Pokemon with Justified.

Team Options
========

Stealth Rock support from Pokemon such as Bronzong, Cobalion, Rhyperior, Mesprit, Mega Camerupt, and Druddigon is helpful to wear down Pangoro's checks and counters. Notably, Stealth Rock support guarantees an OHKO on physically defensive Aromatisse with a +2 Life Orb Iron Head as well as an OHKO on standard Amoonguss with a +2 Knock Off. Druddigon is a solid partner, as it weakens Fairy-types to the point where a +2 Iron Head or Gunk Shot will finish them off. Mega Camerupt can pivot into Fairy-types and act as a soft check to Choice Scarf Moltres while also acting as a secondary wallbreaker. Mesprit is also a great teammate to provide Healing Wish support, giving Pangoro another chance at sweeping, and it appreciates the pressure that Pangoro puts on Dark-, Steel-, and Ghost-types. Teammates that can handle offensive teams, such as Fletchinder, Mega Pidgeot, Mega Sceptile, and Choice Scarf users such as Rotom-C and Moltres, (comma) are helpful, as this set has a better matchup versus defensive teams.

Other Options
########

Substitute lets Pangoro avoids status moves, takes advantage of the switches that Pangoro tends to force, and works exceptionally well in tandem with Focus Punch. Bulk Up is a slower boosting approach that also works well with Substitute. Taunt can be used to prevent entry hazards and status moves, but having a coverage attack is generally more beneficial. Thunder Punch is boosted by Iron Fist and hits the rare Pelipper as well as Alomomola harder than its Pangoro's other moves. Choice Scarf allows Pangoro to somewhat alleviate its Pangoro's poor Speed and be have a fast pivot with Parting Shot, but without a boosting item, it is fairly weak, (comma) and it is outsped by most other common Choice Scarf users. Hammer Arm can be used on the Choice Band set when on a Trick Room team, as the Speed drops from the attack effectively increase Pangoro's its Speed under the effects of Trick Room. A Life Orb can be used on the first set for the ability to switch up attacks while still hitting very hard. Assault Vest gives a solid boost to Pangoro's Special Defense and is helpful alongside the recovery provided by Drain Punch.

Checks & Counters
########

**Fairy-types**: While they all must fear a Gunk Shot, Iron Head, or Ice Punch, Fairy-types such as Aromatisse, Granbull, and Togetic resist Pangoro's STAB moves and can OHKO back with a STAB move. Carbink gets a notable mention of for being the only Fairy-type that is not hit super effectively by Gunk Shot, but it should be wary of Iron Head from the Swords Dance set. However, all of these Pokemon are crippled by losing their item to Knock Off.

**Fighting-types**: Fighting-types such as Hitmontop, Gurdurr, Cobalion, and Hitmonlee resist Pangoro's Dark-type attacks and threaten to OHKO it in return. Hitmontop is one of the few physically defensive Pokemon that has an easy time switching into Pangoro's attacks, as it has the ability to soften them with Intimidate and KO in return with Close Combat. Gurdurr can also stomach a hit from Pangoro and KO with Drain Punch or finish it off with Mach Punch, but dislikes losing its Eviolite. While Cobalion has some trouble switching in, it deters Pangoro from using Knock Off due to its ability, Justified. Less bulky Fighting-types such as Hitmonlee cannot switch in, (remove comma) but force Pangoro out.

**Flying-types**: Flying-types such as Fletchinder, Golbat, Braviary, and Moltres threaten Pangoro with their STAB moves and resist its Fighting-type STAB moves. However, Even though none appreciate losing their item from Knock Off, but most can use Roost to heal off the damage taken from hits. Braviary outspeeds and KOes Pangoro with (attack), but it has a much harder time switching in, as unlike other Flying-types, it takes neutral damage from Pangoro's Fighting-type attacks, unlike other Flying-types. Golbat can also afford to run enough Speed investment to outspeed Jolly Pangoro and KO it with Brave Bird after some prior damage. In addition, all Flying-types have trouble handling Pangoro if Stealth Rock is up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)