Pangoro [QC 2/3]

Overview
########

Possessing average stats aside from a decent base 124 Attack along with less that favorable defensive typing, one must wonder why even bother using Pangoro? The answer lies in it's exclusive move, Parting Shot. Parting Shot allows Pangoro to support it's teammates by crippling offensive Pokemon while bringing in a teammate on the same turn allowing that Pokemon to setup and sweep. Pangoro also boasts decent dual-STAB coverage in Dark- and Fighting-types that hit most of the metagame for neutral damage allowing it to pose an offensive threat when needed.

Choice Scarf
########
name: Choice Scarf
move 1: Parting Shot
move 2: Storm Throw / Sky Uppercut
move 3: Crunch
move 4: Stone Edge / Poison Jab
ability: Scrappy / Iron Fist
item: Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
nature: Jolly

Moves
========

Parting Shot lowers the target's Attack and Special Attack by one stage while also switching Pangoro out allowing a teammate to come in, setup, and sweep the opposing team. Storm Throw is a 100% accurate STAB move dealing decent damage to foes who don't resist it or are dedicated physical walls. Sky Uppercut is a more powerful STAB attack when coupled with Iron Fist but the imperfect accuracy along with the inability to hit Ghost-types may be unappealing. Crunch disposes the Psychic-types (and Ghost-types if using Iron Fist) that resist or are immune to the Fighting-type attacks such as the Lati-twins, Gengar, and Espeon to name a few. Poison Jab can be used to hit Fairy-types that resist Pangoro's dual STAB attacks for decent damage while Stone Edge allows Pangoro to eliminate Mega Charizard Y.

Set Details
========

Max Speed with a Jolly Nature is crucial to outspeed threats such as the Lati-twins, Gengar, and Thundurus to name a few. 252 EVs in Attack allow Pangoro to hit as hard as it can while maintaining the jump on those crucial threats. The remaining EVs are placed into Defense giving Pangoro a small buffer against priority attacks which are almost always physical.

Usage Tips
========

Pangoro should primarily be used for it's unique gift, Parting Shot. Pangoro should be brought in on a resisted hit such as Gengar's Shadow Ball, Terrakion's Stone Edge or even attacks it's immune to such as Psychic from Espeon and use Parting Shot on the former two, while using it's coverage move on Pokemon such as Espeon as Magic Bounce blocks the effects of Parting Shot. Pangoro should attack if the opposing team cannot take Pangoro's STAB attacks or if eliminating a crucial threat such as Latios or Gengar is crucial to the success of the team.

Team Options
========

Pairing Pangoro with setup sweepers who can benefit from Parting Shot's gift such as Mega-Lucario or Aegislash is crucial as they can sweep the opposing team and also smash through opposing Fairy-types that plague Pangoro. Aegislash works well with Pangoro as they cover each other's weaknesses well as well as providing support to each other. Pangoro also works well with VoltTurners utilizing Parting Shot in a similar fashion as U-turn and Volt Switch. Rotom-W and Landorus-T work particularly well with the former checking Talonflame, one of Pangoro's biggest threats, while the latter has Intimidate and Stealth Rocks to rack up entry hazard damage. Pokemon who can setup entry hazards are great teammates in general as Parting Shot forces a lot of switches.

Other Options
========

Pangoro can utilize Mold Breaker along with Earthquake to hit Rotom-W harder although it still only manages to 2HKO, something Sky Uppercut and Storm Throw achieve with Stealth Rocks on the field. The loss of a coverage option is also something that Pangoro would miss. Pangoro can also utilize a Mono attacking RestTalk set with Bulk Up + Circle Throw along with Scrappy but the wide distribution of Fairy-type attacks limits the effectiveness of this set. Choice Band can be used with it's decent base 124 Attack stat however, it's underwhelming speed and typing leaves it outclassed by other wallbreakers such as Terrakion.

Checks and Counters
========

**Fairies**: Fairy-types such as Togekiss, Azumarill, Sylveon, and Clefable resist Pangoro's dual STAB attacks while smashing Pangoro with their Fairy-type move of choice. They take a decent amount of damage from Poison Jab however.

**Fighting-types**: Faster Fighting-types such as Mega-Lucario, Scarf Terrakion, and Scarf Keldeo can all outspeed Pangoro and smash it with their Fighting-type move of choice. Mega-Lucario must beware however that as it transforms, it will still use regular Lucario's speed instead of Mega-Lucario's. Bulky Fighting-types such as Conkeldurr can take any attack with ease and proceed to pummel Pangoro with Drain Punch.

**Flying-types**: Flying-types such as Mega-Pinsir, Tornadus, and Talonflame can take it's Dual STAB attacks and KO with their Flying-type moves, however the former two must beware of Stone Edge as Choice Scarf Pangoro outspeeds both.

**Status**: Paralysis and burn are crippling to Pangoro. Fast users such as Scarf Rotom-W or priority users such as Sableye, Mega Banette, Thundurus, and Klefki effectively cripple Pangoro for the duration of the match.

**Physical Walls**: Walls such as Hippowdon and Skarmory can take anything Pangoro throws at them and proceed to setup hazards or use Brave Bird in Skarmory's case.

**Defiant Users**: Thundurus and Bisharp can come in on a predicted Parting Shot and gain a free +3 Attack boost allowing them to sweep but must beware of Stone Edge and Storm Throw / Sky Uppercut, respectively.

**Faster Pokemon**: Pokemon who outspeed Pangoro such as Alakazam can KO Pangoro with Dazzling Gleam or Focus Blast.

Last edited:
The thing is, Mold Breaker is only good on certain instances such as breaking Sturdy, which Pangoro has no chance in hell of doing on the 2 common users; Forretress and Skarmory, negating Levitate which is useful against Rotom-W if using Earthquake which I don't think is enough to swap a coverage slot + ability for one threat, and negating absorb abilities which is only useful on... Mega Gyarados to take out Gastrodon with Waterfall.

Last edited:
Mold Breaker should be used. With Earthquake, you can hit the Rotoms for super effective damage, do massive damage on Mega Aggron, and get through Unaware Quagsire. You really don't need Scrappy, because you have a Dark STAB in Crunch that can easily take out ghosts. I guess you can use it, if you want to hit Sableye for super effect damage.

EDIT: I'll add Mold Breaker if requested by QC review as I'm not thoroughly convinced it's beneficial to swap abilities, but to also give up a coverage slot.

Last edited:
I mistyped that, I meant to say Earthquake for Rotom. Mold Breaker goes through Mega Aggron's Filter, and Quagsire's Unaware. You don't have to use earthquake.

Mold Breaker should be used. With Earthquake, you can hit the Rotoms for super effective damage, do massive damage on Mega Aggron, and get through Unaware Quagsire. You really don't need Scrappy, because you have a Dark STAB in Crunch that can easily take out ghosts. I guess you can use it, if you want to hit Sableye for super effect damage.
Mold Breaker doesn't change anything against Quagsire, Unaware only affects stat boosts, which Pangoro will never have any of. (Not that it can beat Quagsire in the first place) Besides, Mega Aggron isn't very common at all, so the only reason to use Mold Breaker at all is for Rotom-A, which isn't even 2HKOed by Earthquake the majority of the time. Meanwhile, Scrappy lets the Scarf set hit Ghosts if it is locked into Storm Throw, which alone as a good enough reason to run Scrappy as Pangoro needs all the help it can get.

Last edited:
Pangoro can barely muscle through 252/252+ Quagsire and must hope it doesn't get burned by 100% Scald or else it's pretty useless aside from Parting Shot. 252/0 Mega Aggron fails to get 2HKO'd, at least from the Scarf set and doesn't warrant being used for such an uncommon threat on any other sets either. Storm Throw and Iron Fist Sky Uppercut 2HKO 252/0 Rotom-W anyways, with Sky Uppercut always 2HKOing after SR and Storm Throw with a 75% chance to.

EDIT: That was for CB 252+ Pangoro who barely managed a 2HKO and must avoid Scald burn. Non-CB variants, GL.

true, it is on a choice set, so I guess Scrappy is better. Forget what I said after doing more research, Mold Breaker still might be worth a mention though.

Dont know if it has been mentioned but for magic bouncers, parting shot doesnt get that screwed over, but it is still bad. Give mold breaker if you are using for scouting lead.

Xatu isn't seen in Pokebank OU and Espeon gets mauled by Crunch. With the new Defog mechanics, it's much easier to just Defog away hazards than invest a valuable team slot for it when you're not guaranteed to keep hazards off the field. Espeon can't do diddly squat to Pangoro anyways.

Overview

For point 3, you should add that it has very limited resistances, making it a difficult Pokemon to switch in without taking a beating.

For point 4, I would add "no way to boost it outside Choice Scarf," as that is what's making it viable in OU.

For point 5, Pangoro isn't inferior to Scrafty as a Dark-/Fighting-type, as they play much differently. However, I would say that Pangoro faces stiff competition from its other Fighting-type counterparts, such as Conkeldurr, Lucario, Terrakion, and Breloom. Merge point 7 into this point.

Choice Scarf

Make Parting Shot the first move.

Remove the "(if using Sky Uppercut)" comment from the ability section, as you will be explaining this in the set details.

Make the EV spread 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe to take less entry hazard damage.

Moves

I'm sure Mega Charizard-Y takes a beating from Crunch, so I would list things such as Mandibuzz and Zapdos that Stone Edge is good for instead.

Set Details

Mention point 3 in the "Moves" section when you talk about Storm Throw.

Move point 4 in the above section as well, except broaden this to mostly all other Fighting-types.

Usage Tips

Don't really like how you laid this out. A lot of it, well basically all of it, is common sense. Pangoro should mostly be used taking advantage of Parting Shot. What you should be doing most often is sending it in against a Pokemon it threatens out and use Parting Shot to bring in one of your wallbreakers/sweepers in against a crippled target. This support is invaluable.

However, if Parting Shot is not going to help you with anything specifically, such as using it against a predicted wall switch-in or if the opponent doesn't have anything to take one of your STAB attacks, then using the appropriate move is recommended in that case.

Team Options

Pangoro is really good on offensive teams because of Parting Shot, so make that the first point.

I have to go right now, I will continue this tomorrow.

252 Atk Pangoro Crunch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard Y: 156-184 (52.3 - 61.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Just a quick check anyways, but I understand your points and will put them in, thanks!

So I forgot about this, but

"Pangoro should primarily be used for it's unique gift, Parting Shot. Pangoro should be brought in against something it threatens Aegislash who will most likely try to scout with King's Shield, and use Parting Shot which bypasses King's Shield or resisted hits from Terrakion and Gengar and it's Psychic immunity from Psyshock from the Lati-twins to bring in a sweeper/wallbreaker against the crippled target allowing it to setup and sweep."

All of these guys outspeed Pangoro and OHKO with their respective attack... I'd probably mention other Pokemon.

edit: Wow I'm dumb, I thought it was base 50 Speed. I blame user Bloo.

Last edited:

Plus

中国风暴 trademark
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'd like to see Lando-T mentioned somewhere in team options because it also forms a sort of U-turn core with Pangoro, and does so bringing a Fighting resistance, Intimidate, and Stealth Rock to the field.

For the counters section a mention of Conkeldurr would be cool, and maybe even Alakazam as a check since it can outspeed Scarf and hit with Dazzling Gleam / Focus Blast.

Implement and qc 2/3

Sky Uppercut is still weaker than Storm Throw even with an Iron Fist boost. Storm Throw effectively has 120 BP whereas Uppercut has 102 with the Iron Fist boost.

Not QC, so take this more as a point of view: u could expand more on the risks of Parting Shot. What u are trying to do with Parting Shot is to get momentum, and there are Pokemon who can turn that momentum right against ya. For example, with the abilities Defiant, Contrary, Justified and Magic Bounce. Granted, outside of Bisharp, Defiant isn't that prelevalent, and many Pokeon w/Justified are hardpressed to switch into Pangoro. However, if u predict the Parting shot, it can turn against you. I think that's the real reason to use Mold Breaker, not necessarily the offensive coverage. If your team absolutely needs Parting Shot to always succeed, I'd go for Mold Breaker.

Not QC, so take this more as a point of view: u could expand more on the risks of Parting Shot. What u are trying to do with Parting Shot is to get momentum, and there are Pokemon who can turn that momentum right against ya. For example, with the abilities Defiant, Contrary, Justified and Magic Bounce. Granted, outside of Bisharp, Defiant isn't that prelevalent, and many Pokeon w/Justified are hardpressed to switch into Pangoro. However, if u predict the Parting shot, it can turn against you. I think that's the real reason to use Mold Breaker, not necessarily the offensive coverage. If your team absolutely needs Parting Shot to always succeed, I'd go for Mold Breaker.
Mold Breaker would not affect any of the abilities mentioned other than magic bounce, which phazes the opponent anyway. Unless you switch into something faster than you, you just parting shot out again. The stat drops on you don't matter, as you're locked into parting shot anyway.

EDIT: @OP, you mention hitting Espeon with a coverage move, which I assume would be crunch, which is a STAB move. Not sure coverage is the best word to use there. Just a nitpick

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)