1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Part II of the Breeding Guide

Discussion in 'Archives' started by X-Act, May 28, 2007.

1. Peterko

Peterko Never give up!
    is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

OK first egg today hatched after 1530 steps, so it´s normal again...so it only occurs on a particular day, but what´s the logic behind this?

after searching through this topic, the first time that this happened to me was on july, the 7th
  2. freaktron

freaktron

Let's go through another breeding attempt i'm at now: a Timid Gastly with a 31 Sp Atk and 31 Speed DV. Currently, I have a Male Gastly with those DVs, but its Attack is also 30, its HP and Sp Def are extremely low (but its Defense is close to flawless), and most of all, it's Adamant. So I just caught a Timid Female Gastly with a 31 Speed DV. That said...

Timid Female Gastly 24/16/19/(27/28)/14/31 + Male Gastly 2/30/28/31/2/31 = ?/?/?/31/?/31 Timid Gastly (? eggs average)

So, how many eggs on average would it take to hatch a Timid Gastly with a 31 Sp Atk and 31 Speed DV if both parents have the 31 Speed and 1 parent has the 31 Sp Atk?
  3. X-Act

X-Act np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

Part 3 of the breeding guide was written explicitly to answer such questions.
  4. Flashstorm1

Flashstorm1
    is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

After reading the guide, I am still having trouble as to which method to use for breeding for my perfect Starmie.

So far my parents are as follows:

Ditto (Timid): 31 SpAtk
    Staryu: 31 HP, Spd

After reading this part of the guide, bith suggest that both parents need at least two flawless IVs, and that is not the case. I'm figuring method C is the best option, but would it be better is I caught another Ditto with two perfect IVs? If so, what method should I use then?

Also, please PM me your answer, as I probably won't be going back to this thread very often.
  5. Edge Of Pain

Edge Of Pain

nice shiny latias dunk.

Anyway, thanks for the breeding guide, i used to get confused but now it is easy to understand. Awesome!

Now i can start breeding, clone the best stat pokemon i choose on emerald, migrate to d/p, then trade over wifi. Thanks!

by the way, if you have a non shiny pokemon and you breed it, does the baby have a chance of being shiny(and vice verca)?

And, if you have a pokemon with the pokerus virus and you breed it, can you get a baby with the pokerus virus.

i can only imagine a shiny pokemon with pokerus.

thanks for the guide *prints*
  6. scorchedsky

scorchedsky

Were there any more conclusions about the 230 steps thing? It's been happening to me, only today though. Although I have bred ~100 magikarp in the past week or so...
  7. X-Act

is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

So far, no. We're still looking at what might be causing this phenomenon.
  8. Peterko

Peterko Never give up!

the only thing I´m sure of is that it only lasts a day, which means it won´t happen to you tomorrow
  9. Orion

Orion

I just wonder something.
    I bred a Female Relaxed Pineco with a Ditto, where the Pineco held Everstone. I bred about 20+ Eggs, and none were Relaxed. Then I switched Ditto with a Male Scizor, and got plenty Relaxed (I have managed to breed with the Ditto previously, so it can't be that it's from another region.)
    So, my question is; Won't the female Pokemon pass on natures if it's breeding with Ditto? (and, the ditto was NOT holding an Everstone of it's own.)
  10. X-Act

This is written explicitly in the guide, but let's repeat for posterity.

Whenever you're breeding with Ditto, Ditto is considered to be the female Pokemon irrespective of the gender of the Pokemon it is breeding with. That means that Everstone will not work if the female Pokemon holds it and breeds with Ditto (but it would work if held by Ditto itself).

EDIT: Quoting from the guide itself:

11. Orion

Orion

Ah, I see. Well, I read the guide, but that exact point was very unclear, really. That's why I had to ask.
  12. X-Act

Okay, I edited that part of the breeding guide to be absolutely clear. :)
  13. Phoenix_21

Phoenix_21

Preservation of moves on good IV parents

I can't find anything on this subject in the guide, so i thought I'd mention it in case its worth adding to the 'moveset breeding' section.

If you have a really good male parent but you think you might be able to do better, I was under the impression that you have to either keep it and raise it or use it as a parent because if its in the daycare for breeding it will forget the egg moves it has.

Similarly, if you have a really good male with an egg move that you want to breed with two different species of pokemon in its egg group, by the time you've finished breeding the 1st pokemon it will have forgotten that move and be useless for breeding it onto the 2nd pokemon.

However, the pokes in the daycare always forget the moves at the top of their movelist 1st, so if you just periodically remove the parent from the daycare & move the egg move(s) to the bottom of their movelist they continue to forget the useless moves first.

For example, I am currently breeding Eevees with Wish. If get a Triple flawless male but it has 20ish HP/def and I use it to keep breeding, it will forget Wish for Bite @lvl 30. If at any time between lvl 23 (Quick att) & lvl 30 I take the Eevee out of the daycare and move Wish to the bottom of the movelist, it won't ever forget Wish because it only learns 3 moves from lvl 30 onwards.

I think this could be useful when you want to:
    A) Keep the moves of a parent that would be borderline-useable for competitive play in tact but still use it to breed, like a back-up plan.
    B) Use a Male parent to breed in more than two projects whilst still passing IVs.

Taking an example for (B): If you have a male bulbasaur with 31 sp.att/sp.def/speed + leech seed, you could use this method to breed its IVs and Leech seed onto Abomasnow, Sceptile, Tangela and anything else in its egg groups without having to rebreed the male (thus saving time) regardless of how high the bulba's level gets.

There are other implications for this – I don’t know if this pattern of forgetting the top move is the same in D/P (i don't see why it wouldn't be), but it would be even easier to preserve moves there because you can use the poketech app to tell what level the male parent is and take it out/re-order its movelist when necessary.
    Also, even if the moves that are being forgotten would be in the pokes final moveset, you can re-teach them with a Heart scale, which obviously you can’t do with egg/TM moves.
    This also works for preserving more than one move; you just have to remove the parent from the daycare centre more often when its at low levels.
  14. Lorak

Lorak *leekspin*
    is an Artist Alumnus

I have heard that recent testing with a male Togetic holding a Light Ball and a female Pikachu with an Everstone had Everstone breeding effects, allowed passing down of Togetic-to-Pichu Egg moves, and Volt Tackle presence, a correction to your Volt Tackle rule.
  15. The Walrus

The Walrus

Thank you very much for making this.

I'm currently trying to bring up a good Stallrein, I trained it to level 46, EV'd and everything, modest natured. I thought it was a good poke until I found out that his Attack IV (the stat I didn't need) was 30. His Sp. Atk was like 4 or something. I'm definately going to put more effort into breeding now
  16. -k0Mbo

-k0Mbo

`I've been running into a problem lately,

(D/P) Usually when I breed I get to the man at 510 steps, meaning that the step counter resets. So when I receive an egg, it doesn't reset the other counters because they are reset from the 510. I had a thought that my game is messed up, but someone said no. This only started happening recently, usually I reset my counter every 510 steps, or when I touch the man. Eggs would usually hatch at 255 and 510. Now, I am seeing then hatch at weird numbers like: 230, 360, and 460.

So I ran a test:
    Breeding Heracross, your guide said that it will hatch in 3570 steps with Flame Body.
    So I took my Magmortar and received a new egg. I reset my step counter and keep walking til it hatched. When the Pokemon hatched, the counter read 3220 (not divisible my 255). I didn't receive any more eggs, and I only had one egg in my party.

Anybody know what happened...?

-----

EDIT: Sorry I didn't read up, so is it just that the Step Counter has changed to 230 for a day...?
  17. Peterko

Peterko Never give up!

could you tell me what the exact date was when this occurred to you?

anyway, now it´s clear that the 255->230 step counter thing happens on particular calendar days

the first time this happened to me (where I noticed it) was on july 7, 2007, I posted about it in this topic

one year later, a few days ago, it happened again on july 7, 2008, which means that this can´t be a coincidence

other dates where I noticed it during the last 12 month were september 28, 2007 (also posted in this topic) and april 1, 2008 (yeah lol)

whoever else noticed or will notice this, could you please give me the exact date so we can finally clear this thing up and mention it in the guide?
  18. Toby

Toby

So, we could just abuse the date change and lower the steps required?

Improvement suggestion;

For the repeat balls to unlock, one must: talk to the CEO of the Devon corporation to say you deleiverd the package (and gain exp share) and then, travel to the end of route 116 and talk to the Devon man there to unlock purchasable Repeat Balls in Rustburo.

Just clarifys that up, a few mates of mine who had sped run through the game had skipped that and looked for ages for repeat balls :s
  19. Vlaric

Vlaric

I'm kind of unclear on this. Is it catch 170 Dittos=done with catching Dittos for IVs+all natures, or do I have to catch 170 dittos with a synchronize pokemon to get the IVs I want with that nature?
  20. RavageX9

RavageX9

I've just started the whole IV breeding thing, and this guide has been immensely helpful! Thanks so much.
  21. X-Act

You need to catch an average of 170 Ditto using a Synchronised Pokemon.
  22. Arcaseven

Arcaseven

I fast-forwarded my in-game clock to July 7th, 2009 and then bred a Magikarp. Using the step counter in-game, I got approximately 1,020 steps (with a Magcargo in my party). 1,020/255 = 4 cycles, down from the base egg step count of 1,280 steps as listed by Serebii (5~ cycles). I presume this would be because of the Magcargo, nothing more - although I honestly don't know if Magcargo is factored into the Serebii step counter.

I then re-wound the game clock back to July 7th, 2008 and did the exact same thing again. I got the exact same number - 1,020.

I couldn't find the number of steps required to hatch a Magikarp with a Magcargo, and quite frankly I'm a "C-average" math student, so if someone could provide me with the number of steps required to hatch a Magikarp egg with Magcargo in your party that would be fantastic.
  23. Peterko

Peterko Never give up!

well I´ve changed to clock back to one of those days, took an egg which was alredy created and hatched it, nothing unusual in the number of steps needed...I have to research this a bit more this weekend, maybe the egg has to be created on the day or I have to take more than a number of eggs...I don´t know

well, magikarp is egg step counter (ESC) 5 so it goes like this in DP:
    - take egg, ESC = 5
    - walk/ride 255 steps, game checks if ESC is 0 or lower (nope) -> ESC -2 (if magma armor/flame body is in effect, otherwise -1), current ESC = 3
    - walk/ride 255 steps, game checks if ESC is 0 or lower (nope) -> ESC -2, current ESC = 1
    - walk/ride 255 steps, game checks if ESC is 0 or lower (nope) -> ESC -2, current ESC = -1
    - walk/ride 255 steps, game checks if ESC is 0 or lower -> ESC equals to or is lower than zero, egg hatches

1020 steps with a magma armor/flame body pokémon in your party
    1530 steps without

if the "230 step thing" applies

920 steps with a magma armor/flame body pokémon in your party
    1380 steps without
  24. Dunk

Dunk

I plan on breeding a Modest PorygonZ with a Relaxed Porygon2.

I have two questions:

1) Is this even possible?

2) If it is possible, would making the Modest Porygon-Z hold an Everstone have any effect on the nature of the offspring?

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)