Partners in Crime

lost heros

Meme Master
is a Pre-Contributor
So I was playing against Abyssal bot on ROM and I found a couple errors. First one is that choice moves don't lock that one move in that mon's moveset but doesn't lock that mon in to that move. I.E. If I had a scarf Landorus with a choice Scarf and use Earthquake, earthquake becomes the only move on Landorus's original moveset that I can use, so I could still use any of its partner's moves and its partner could only use earthquake or its moves.

Another, Ally abilities and moves still activate after the pokemon faints. My Charizard fainted, but I could still have Venusaur use Heat Wave that turn, and then even though my opponent's Serperior fainted and Landorus was his only pokemon, Contrary still activated for Landorus.

Replay: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/rom-partnersincrime-31169

Note that ROM (deliberately) has different code to Dragon Heaven; this means that people can compare bugs between the two servers to find whose code is better. Right now I'm struggling with Flash Fire, which is both an Ability and an Effect...
Haha it's obvious that your code is better, since you're a dev and I am just a newbie :)
Oh and about Flash Fire, there are more abilities which have a status, like -ates, Aura Break, Unburden, etc. I was thinking about naming their second ability status to ability.id+"1", and pass this to addVolatile and removeVolatile....

Bug reporting inc. Choice items are really messed up: my Scarf Kyurem-B wasn't being locked into an attack but still getting the speed boost. Later on, it became only able to use Ice Beam, but any of its partner's moves. And strangely enough, my partner pokemon was affected by this too. This was on like turn 6 in the replay, and it was inconsistent for some reason. I attached some images so you can see what I mean.

Also my my partner pokemon wasn't receiving abilities from Kyurem-B, you can see that at the end when an Earth Power wasn't affecting Rotom-W

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/rom-partnersincrime-31182

I'll edit this post if I find more bugs.

So I was playing against Abyssal bot on ROM and I found a couple errors. First one is that choice moves don't lock that one move in that mon's moveset but doesn't lock that mon in to that move. I.E. If I had a scarf Landorus with a choice Scarf and use Earthquake, earthquake becomes the only move on Landorus's original moveset that I can use, so I could still use any of its partner's moves and its partner could only use earthquake or its moves.

Another, Ally abilities and moves still activate after the pokemon faints. My Charizard fainted, but I could still have Venusaur use Heat Wave that turn, and then even though my opponent's Serperior fainted and Landorus was his only pokemon, Contrary still activated for Landorus.
Because of the way we share moves between the two Pokémon, we achieve correct PP deduction, but unfortunately any effects that disable moves act weirdly.

As I recall, the OP says that you can still use the partner's move the turn it faints, so that's OK, but the ability was supposed to have gone away, so that's a bug, but not something I can diagnose from a replay, sorry.

May as well chime in on some of the bugs that need fixing.

The ROM server seems to have a lot of really unpredictable Choice Scarf glitches. Replays don't really show it and I haven't tested other Choice items yet but these are some of the things I was experiencing.

Scarfed Landorus was locking itself into only Earthquake, as well as its partner, and this persisted upon switching the partner out. So I had Lando and Crobat locked into Earthquake. That didn't fly well with Crobat so I switched to Thundurus, but Thundurus too was then locked into Earthquake until I switched out Lando.

Then using Scarf Jirachi I had the complete opposite where both my pokemon could use any of the 8 moves freely and Jirachi still got the Speed boost despite not being locked in to anything.

Also had an occurrence where Scarf Rachi could use the move it locked itself into from its own set, or any move from its partner's set, and its partner had the same restrictions.

Lastly from what I can tell, the thing with Teravolt seems to be that it only works if Kyurem uses a move from it's own set. So Kyurem using its Earth Power can hit a Levitate Rotom-W, but a Kyurem using Landorus' Earthquake will fail to break Levitate. And Kyurem's Teravolt doesn't seem to transfer to partners at all, so Landorus' Earthquake won't hit Levitate mons either. Though I could be wrong about that as I didn't specifically test it that's just what I remember from 1 game.

Cool meta though!

And Kyurem's Teravolt doesn't seem to transfer to partners at all, so Landorus' Earthquake won't hit Levitate mons either.
Mold Breaker/Teravolt/Turboblaze are weird; they probably didn't work in Enchanted Items either, but I guess nobody bothered to check.

Mat block belly drum smeargle is probably broken, especially if it's with a dragonite pivot that's surrounded by es-ate spam/moldy/guts/contrary, hell even unaware.

Mat block belly drum smeargle is probably broken, especially if it's with a dragonite pivot that's surrounded by es-ate spam/moldy/guts/contrary, hell even unaware.
What about Simple + Geomancy + Cottom Guard Combo? With Stored Power?
Even when you face Unaware pokemon, you still have sick 380 base power move. And other teammates can pass Mold Breaker (Now it didn't work, but if it start work...), and because of nature of PiC, you have absolutly no problem in passing Coverage against Dark Types who wall Stored Power.
With Right invesment you can OHKO Chansey with Eviolite!

However this one... I feel it's not broken, because you need two turns for set-up against Physical oriented teams (and propably also special ones. Some Special oriented pokemon have also better sp. def.) And... Prankser Haze completly destroy this strategy for sure. Unless you have faster Prankster Taunt, but even then you need to predict eatch one will use Haze with Priority.

But why Haze could be even used?

I think Haze will be more popular because of how good Contrary seems to be in this metagame. Physical oriented teams fear double Intimidate, but if you have Contrary on boat, then Intimidate is preety bad against them, especialy when they are Physical oriented, or one is Special when second pokemon - Physical one.

Contrary by itself is really strong ability with right moveset and second Ability into of that. But I'm not scared of double offesnive ability that much, but more Contrary + Defensive ability, like Flash Fire or Thick Fat. Abilities like theese can protect your Contrary user from some moves, what normaly can easly deal with them. Abilities like Magic Bounce, Unaware (Helpfull also for offensive pokemon), Intimidate, Magic Guard (this one is preety good also Offensive ability - makes you immune to Recoil damage from Life Orb, that means your sweaper will live longer and have better chance to survive some moves with your Life Orb on your pokemon)... and much more...

One think what can somehow wall Contrary strategy could be combination of immunities in Grass, Fire, Dragon and Fighting - the key types what gain acces to debuffing effects.
Debuffing moves with theese types: Leaf Storm, Overheat, Draco Meteor, Super Power, Close Combat, V-Create, and from less popular Hammer Arm,
While There is Flash Fire Ghost, and Sap Sipper Fairy type, we can't pass natural immunities into ally pokemon, so Super Power can be used on Fairy type (Who also resist naturaly Fire type), while Draco Meteor - on Ghost pokemon (Who Sadly does not resist Dragon Types).

Second think able to wall this strategy - Unaware. While Unaware Quagsire is not a option because of usualy used Leaf Storm (Because Serperior being that good Contrary user), Clefable is actually good pokemon who can wall Contrary.
Sure, we also need offensive presure on Contrary users, but ability to survive +2 Leaf Storm or Overheat with STAB is viable. Clefable can pass Flamethrower for partner if we don't have Fire pokemon in team, Or Ice Beam if we scared of Flash Fire. Acces to Defensive boosting moves also makes this pokemon even better against this kind of strategy.
Sadly Healing need to be passed from other teammate. Alakazam is good offensive passer - Have Magic Guard AND Recover, also Alakazam can be good user of extra coverage from Clefable.
On another note, Alakazam also resist Fighting type, sadly taking neutral damage from Dragon, Grass and Fire types.

Reactions: Mq

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)