Metagame Partners in Crime

What's the news on fixing choice-locking? I know I've been in a few situations where one mon holding a Choice item locked its partner into that move too, which is counter-intuitive.

So this isn't just a bugpost, I kinda wanna explore Downloadpassing. Genesect is the obvious Download user -- and with its statline+movepool it more than carries its own weight -- but there are a few options for Baton Pass, and none stand out as obvious Genesect partners. Intimidate comes to mind to help Genesect's survivability, but that would just be Masquerian and Mawile, the former of which is a one-dimensional support mon that can't really opt to abuse the Download boost, and the latter of which is a shitmon. Blaziken seems pretty solid for the ability to pass Speed too, but if the opponent has an -atespeed pair on the field then nothing's getting off a pass. Sylveon and Togekiss seem like pretty solid picks, having offensive presence and passable bulk and support options, but they can't do anything with an Attack boost. Gliscor seems interesting for Hyper Cutter support, which should really give you more flexibility when it comes to BP recipients, but it can't exploit an SpA boost. And so on.
why not just use intimidate mawile and then mega evolve it? intimidate will have already activated by then

It's because I wasn't able to code Mimic, Sketch or Transform to work properly. Sorry about that. (In order to merge your moves with your teammate's moves, the code overwrites any Transform or Mimic moves, while Sketch crashes if Smeargle's teammate tries to use it.)
thank you and that's fine I can't complain about that

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
What's the news on fixing choice-locking? I know I've been in a few situations where one mon holding a Choice item locked its partner into that move too, which is counter-intuitive.

So this isn't just a bugpost, I kinda wanna explore Downloadpassing. Genesect is the obvious Download user -- and with its statline+movepool it more than carries its own weight -- but there are a few options for Baton Pass, and none stand out as obvious Genesect partners. Intimidate comes to mind to help Genesect's survivability, but that would just be Masquerian and Mawile, the former of which is a one-dimensional support mon that can't really opt to abuse the Download boost, and the latter of which is a shitmon. Blaziken seems pretty solid for the ability to pass Speed too, but if the opponent has an -atespeed pair on the field then nothing's getting off a pass. Sylveon and Togekiss seem like pretty solid picks, having offensive presence and passable bulk and support options, but they can't do anything with an Attack boost. Gliscor seems interesting for Hyper Cutter support, which should really give you more flexibility when it comes to BP recipients, but it can't exploit an SpA boost. And so on.
Why not just use Anger Point Taurus to get Baton Pass from a Storm Throw Baton Pass Smeargle?
Scarf Technician Smeargle uses Storm Throw while Weakness Policy Taurus uses Baton Pass to give teammate +6 Attack, +2 SpA, and hopefully a good teammate that can take advantage of all of those boosts! Technician is in case the recipient is Choice Locked, so they can take advantage of 60 x 1.5 Technician x 1.5 critical hit = 135 Base power Storm Throws before Sniper and before STAB multipliers.

Last edited:

1. send in muk and volcanrna
  2. rage poweder with muk and qd with volca
  3. send in oricorio then rage powder while volca eithers tailwind/qd
  4. send in vivillion or lilligant to sleep powder the opponents (volca has to stay in)
  5. Either sub or qd depending on how you feel
  6. sweep
Muk-Alola @ Focus Sash
Ability: Power of Alchemy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Focus Blast
- Flamethrower
- Acid Spray
- Explosion

Vivillon
Ability: Compound Eyes
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Sleep Powder
- Quiver Dance
- Substitute
- Hurricane

Lilligant
Ability: Chlorophyll
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Energy Ball
- Substitute
- Sleep Powder

Oricorio-Sensu @ Focus Sash
Ability: Dancer
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Revelation Dance
- Tailwind
- Hurricane
- Substitute

Volcarona @ Leftovers
Ability: Swarm
EVs: 88 HP / 252 SpA / 168 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fiery Dance
- Quiver Dance
- Rage Powder
- Giga Drain

Venomoth @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Tinted Lens
Modest Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Quiver Dance

Only weakness spread/priority moves...also sleep rng

Last edited:
How about Instruct, with a Prankster Partner?

It allows a partner to go 2x in a row! Beats Helping Hand which is only a 50% Boost.

why did you link the video? Also prankster isn't great with dark types running around. Another thing is the only offense prankster mons are tornadus and thunderus. That's not much cause their other forms are better.

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
Oh that makes but why waste one ability slot when you can have some thing better lol
If you consider Mega Bannette has 165 Base Attack, and it can get any move with Smeargle, while Smeargle can use Instruct and Prankster to let it go 2x in a row, it might be a cool Pay off.

Prankster isn’t threatened by Dark types: Smeargle is targeting its own non-Dark type ally.

Bannette goes before Smeargle and uses Copycat to copy the last move it used last turn, say V-Create, then Smeargle uses Instruct to have it use V-Create again, in the same turn... boom, Prankster Smeargle targeted Bannette to hit V-Create and hurt a Dark Type, while the Copycat V-Create hurt the non-Dark type.

And the 2v2 ban rules thought Parental Bond was overpowered off a 25% Boost, lol.

If there are multi-targeting moves like Rock Slide, Etc. Then Smeargle’s Instruct will allow it to basically serve as a 2-hit on both foes.

Last edited:
Hey I was just looking on ROM and I couldn't find the metagame on either the ladder or the challenge list. Is the code currently being updated or something?

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
Hey I was just looking on ROM and I couldn't find the metagame on either the ladder or the challenge list. Is the code currently being updated or something?
Bottom-middle area of the right hand side of the list
jasprose
Can we start adding concepts/strategies to the Original Post? I think my Harvest team is a cool niche that actually works pretty well. Imprison prevents Knock Off, Leech Seed, Toxic, Will-o-Wisp, while Oran Berry with Harvest keeps Sturdy active, especially when combined with Wide Guard.

I edited my team and put it in hide tags; it will be useful for players to see what works, and how moves, abilities, and items can all work together to build upon a strategy.
Let's add some combinations, and ideas so people who view your Other Metagame are able to understand the concept. Here is a replay to show how the team is used.
I thought of this team in direct correlation to Phantump having the perfect typing, HP stat, movepool, and ability to make this all possible. Not only must it be in the battle each turn (except maybe the first), but it alone can break teams with the most passive of damage.

*Note: Leech Seed heals before the Oran Berry is Harvested, thus a Level 1 will heal to 100% HP through Leech Seed due to the level (higher HP) difference of the target being drained, and the Oran Berry wont be triggered to activate, unless it is hit next turn. This means it can always take 2 hits per turn- First hit, Sturdy activates to keep 11 HP Pokemon alive at 1 HP, Oran Berry activates to heal 1 HP back up to 11 HP, Second hit, Sturdy Activates to keep 11 HP Pokemon alive at 1 HP, at end of the turn Leech Seed heals 1 HP back to 11 HP, Harvest restores Oran Berry, preserving it for next round to survive 2 hits again since it can't trigger until the user is at less than 50%.

Team Name: Level 1
Decision behind Name: If you can't beat my Pokemon at Level 1, you don't deserve to face my Level 100 Pokemon team.

Vulpix @ Oran Berry
Ability: Drought
Level: 1
EVs: 252 Def
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 HP / 0 Atk
- Pain Split / Safeguard
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect
- Imprison

Mandatory Lead: Keeps Harvest working, cannot be Taunted out of triggering weather, provides Imprison to Shuckle, Will-o-Wisp to Sturdy users, and Protect to Phantump Turn 1. (Vulpix will allow a teammate that doesn't know these moves to use it on the turn Vulpix switches out, or while Vulpix stays in and uses Protect. If the teammate has Sturdy, then Vulpix can survive 2 hits with Oran Berry, allowing for a last resort use of Pain Split or Will-o-Wisp).

The debate between Pain Split and Safe Guard is simple- When paired with a Sturdy user, Pain Split can give itself its partner longevity while simultaneously dealing direct damage. Safeguard almost requires Trick Room up to go first, but nevertheless, it can prevent secondary status effects such as Lava Plume burns. *Pain Split is almost always better because it doesn't wear off after 5 turns.

Strategies: Anti-Knock Off: Lead with Vulpix + Phantump OR Shuckle-
Turn 1. Switch out Vulpix and switch in Phantump if you led with Shuckle, or Shuckle if you lead with Phantump, as you Imprison with Shuckle / Phantump. If both foes targeted Shuckle/Phantump, then the attacks will make its HP drop to 1 HP, heal back up to full HP with Oran Berry, and then drop back down to 1 HP on the second hit. Harvest will ensure Oran Berry will be consumed to restore 100% HP at the end of the turn. Now the opponent is blocked from using Knock Off, and any other move shared by your 2 Pokemon since the Imprisoned user has its partner's moves as well as its own.

Turn 2. Any partner that was hit 2x last turn can use Protect this turn to secure a Harvest that replenishes the Oran Berry (Say last turn the opponent used 2 Earthquakes and Shuckle is in the same boat as Phantump). Basically, if a Pokemon starts the turn without an Oran berry, use Protect, otherwise, have 1 Pokemon use Trick Room, as another uses Leech Seed (preferably Phantump so it is immune to Magic Bounced Leech Seed).

Turn 3: Now as you have Harvested back Oran Berry again: If Phantump / Shuckle used Protect last turn have 1 use Trick Room and another use Leech Seed. *As Noted above- Now your team won't be afraid of getting hit 2x in a row per turn, can go first, is no longer afraid of Knock Off, Leech Seed, or any direct status move that would cause damage thanks to Imprison, and can abuse Sturdy to stay alive, while stalling passive damage against the foe. Oh, and it prevents the foe from undoing Trick Room because they cannot use it themselves

Phantump @ Oran Berry
Ability: Harvest
Shiny: Yes
Bold Nature
- Leech Seed
- Imprison
- Will-O-Wisp
- Trick Room

The MVP, and only reason this team exists-

Perfect typing:
Anti-Priority: Immune to Fake-out, Extreme Speed, Quick Attack, Feint, Mach Punch, Vacuum Wave, Sucker Punch (unless it uses Knock Off from Shuckle).

Perfect movepool:
Heal itself and its teammates with passive Leech Seed, while dealing damage. When combined with Harvest + Oran Berry + Sunny Day, Leech Seed permits the user to take 2 hits each turn!
Imprison prevents the foe from Impostering, being able to Poison/Burn, use Knock Off, undo Trick Room, and even means the opponent cannot use Protect if Phantump's partner has Protect (such as Shuckle).

Will-o-Wisp can burn Steel Types, beside Heatran, Trick Room allows you to reset Sunny Day so Harvest can be consistently active.

Nosepass @ Oran Berry
Ability: Sturdy
Bold Nature
- Wide Guard
- Sunny Day
- Pain Split
- Toxic

Nosepass provides itself and its teammate with Wide Guard which prevents spread moves from the opponent. This allows it to alternate turns between its partner to prevent Earthquake, Rock Slide, Surf, etc. each turn, while its partner is free to reset Trick Room, and Sunny Day.

Nosepass, like all other Sturdy users, is meant to be used with Phantump. While Nosepass cannot prevent Knock Off like Shuckle can, it will be able to give Phantump Pain Split, which not only cuts the foes HP by 50% (assuming you survive an attack with Sturdy at 1 HP), but restores your own HP to full (assuming your opponent has at least 20 HP remaining: *it takes 10 HP off your opponent plus the 1 from surviving with Sturdy to fully heal).

If Nosepass and Phantump both uses Pain Split on the same foe, they effectively cut a 100% HP Pokemon down to 25%, this means that the foe is only 2 turns of Leech Seed away from being KOed, plus 2 or so HP leftover.

Strategies: Prevent all Spread moves, provide Phantump with Toxic to deal with Fire types and Araquanid (Water Bubble), as well as Sunny Day to keep Harvest active.

Shieldon @ Oran Berry
Bold Nature
- Wide Guard
- Sunny Day
- Toxic
- Protect

Secondary Wide Guard user. You might feel Protect and Wide Guard are the same- one promotes group protection, while another is individual protection. Since many players will catch on to just using alternating Wide Guard per turn partners, they will likely just stop using spread moves, but having Protect means you can always stall a turn to Harvest an Oran Berry.

Toxic, Protect, and Sunny Day have are obvious - provide Phantump the options to deal damage, stall for damage, and keep Harvest active.

Magnemite @ Oran Berry
EVs: 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Recycle
- Toxic
- Sunny Day
- Protect

Magnemite can use Toxic, and not risk Magic Bounce sending Toxic back at it, due to its Steel typing. Recycle is very useful, especially when you have to wait a turn to use Protect. While Magnemite may seem redundant think of this:

Foe 1 hits Magnemite, Sturdy activates to keep Magnemite at 1 HP, Oran Berry activates to heal up 10 HP (healing up 1 HP to 11 HP), Foe 2 hits, Sturdy activates to keep Magnemite at 1 HP, Magnemite uses Recycle to regain Oran Berry, Oran Berry triggers and heals 10 HP from 1 HP to 11 HP, Harvest restores Oran Berry at the end of the turn, Oran Berry is ready to keep Magnetmite alive for 2 hits per turn next turn.

Magnemite, like all other Sturdy users, is meant to be used with Phantump. While Magnemite cannot prevent Knock Off like Shuckle can, it will be able to give Phantump a way to heal up, and can be a last resort if Sunny Day wears off, or if the partner is not Phantump, and each partner can just switch between Protect and Recycle to stall the foe out with passive damage.

Toxic, Protect, and Sunny Day have already been explained - provide Phantump the options to deal damage, stall for damage, and keep Harvest active.

Shuckle @ Oran Berry
Bold Nature
- Knock Off / Safeguard / Infestation
- Toxic
- Sunny Day
- Protect

The only reason Knock Off can't hurt my team (when combined with Imprison). Toxic, Protect, and Sunny Day have already been explained.

Other options:
Other Options:
Magic Coat on Nosepass is also an option, as it can allow you to outspeed a Status user if they have Prankster or if Trick Room is not in effect, and prevent the status move, for that turn (which requires you to know which one is targeted.

Another status prevention so I prefer is Safeguard, which Vulpix and Shuckle can learn, Shuckle wants to keep Protect, Sunny Day, Toxic, so it would have to go over Knock Off.
Vulpix can replace Pain Split with Safeguard, but it forces you to lead with a Pokémon to use Safeguard the first turn, as Vulpix switches out to give Phantump a Sturdy partner, or switches out to give a Sturdy user Phantump as its partner.

If anyone suggests Misty Terrain, remember, it protects your foe as well. Safeguard is well... safer.

For Shuckle, Infestation is an option over Knock Off (you need to always give Phantump the following 3 moves: Sunny Day, Toxic, and a variation of Protect so you can Toxic Fire types, and be able to Harvest a Berry on the turn you reset Sunny Day with 1 Pokemon a while using Protect with the other), so Knock Off is the only replaceable move. I find that Infestation doesn't seem too good because you want constant damage that wont wear off, Knock Off can at least be used to remove Leftovers, and KO a foe after Pain Split.

*Notes:
Pain Split on Phantump would be great, but it cannot fit, as you absolutely need Imprison, Trick Room, Leech Seed (heals you before Oran Berry which allows you to be hit 2x in a turn, get healed, then Harvest Oran Berry at the end of the turn to keep you alive). While I used to use Pain Split over Imprison, I found that this team's counters of Knock Off, Toxic, Will-o-Wisp, Leech Seed, and others are only stopped simultaneously via Imprison. Don't worry, Nosopass provides Pain Split, Sturdy, Toxic, and Wide Guard all at once. Vulpix is useful for providing a mix of Pain Split, Will-o-Wisp, and Imprison as a last resort (i.e. on the turn it will switch, or stall by using Protect, or stay in with a Sturdy user).

Last edited:
Bottom-middle area of the right hand side of the list
jasprose
Can we start adding concepts/strategies to the Original Post? I think my Harvest team is a cool niche that actually works pretty well. Imprison prevents Knock Off, Leech Seed, Toxic, Will-o-Wisp, while Oran Berry with Harvest keeps Sturdy active, especially when combined with Wide Guard.

I edited my team and put it in hide tags; it will be useful for players to see what works, and how moves, abilities, and items can all work together to build upon a strategy.
Let's add some combinations, and ideas so people who view your Other Metagame are able to understand the concept. Here is a replay to show how the team is used.
I thought of this team in direct correlation to Phantump having the perfect typing, HP stat, movepool, and ability to make this all possible. Not only must it be in the battle each turn (except maybe the first), but it alone can break teams with the most passive of damage.

*Note: Leech Seed heals before the Oran Berry is Harvested, thus a Level 1 will heal to 100% HP through Leech Seed due to the level (higher HP) difference of the target being drained, and the Oran Berry wont be triggered to activate, unless it is hit next turn. This means it can always take 2 hits per turn- First hit, Sturdy activates to keep 11 HP Pokemon alive at 1 HP, Oran Berry activates to heal 1 HP back up to 11 HP, Second hit, Sturdy Activates to keep 11 HP Pokemon alive at 1 HP, at end of the turn Leech Seed heals 1 HP back to 11 HP, Harvest restores Oran Berry, preserving it for next round to survive 2 hits again since it can't trigger until the user is at less than 50%.

Team Name: Level 1
Decision behind Name: If you can't beat my Pokemon at Level 1, you don't deserve to face my Level 100 Pokemon team.

Vulpix @ Oran Berry
Ability: Drought
Bold Nature
- Pain Split / Safeguard
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect
- Imprison

Mandatory Lead: Keeps Harvest working, cannot be Taunted out of triggering weather, provides Imprison to Shuckle, Will-o-Wisp to Sturdy users, and Protect to Phantump Turn 1. (Vulpix will allow a teammate that doesn't know these moves to use it on the turn Vulpix switches out, or while Vulpix stays in and uses Protect. If the teammate has Sturdy, then Vulpix can survive 2 hits with Oran Berry, allowing for a last resort use of Pain Split or Will-o-Wisp).

The debate between Pain Split and Safe Guard is simple- When paired with a Sturdy user, Pain Split can give itself its partner longevity while simultaneously dealing direct damage. Safeguard almost requires Trick Room up to go first, but nevertheless, it can prevent secondary status effects such as Lava Plume burns. *Pain Split is almost always better because it doesn't wear off after 5 turns.

Strategies: Anti-Knock Off: Lead with Vulpix + Phantump OR Shuckle-
Turn 1. Switch out Vulpix and switch in Phantump if you led with Shuckle, or Shuckle if you lead with Phantump, as you Imprison with Shuckle / Phantump. If both foes targeted Shuckle/Phantump, then the attacks will make its HP drop to 1 HP, heal back up to full HP with Oran Berry, and then drop back down to 1 HP on the second hit. Harvest will ensure Oran Berry will be consumed to restore 100% HP at the end of the turn. Now the opponent is blocked from using Knock Off, and any other move shared by your 2 Pokemon since the Imprisoned user has its partner's moves as well as its own.

Turn 2. Any partner that was hit 2x last turn can use Protect this turn to secure a Harvest that replenishes the Oran Berry (Say last turn the opponent used 2 Earthquakes and Shuckle is in the same boat as Phantump). Basically, if a Pokemon starts the turn without an Oran berry, use Protect, otherwise, have 1 Pokemon use Trick Room, as another uses Leech Seed (preferably Phantump so it is immune to Magic Bounced Leech Seed).

Turn 3: Now as you have Harvested back Oran Berry again: If Phantump / Shuckle used Protect last turn have 1 use Trick Room and another use Leech Seed. *As Noted above- Now your team won't be afraid of getting hit 2x in a row per turn, can go first, is no longer afraid of Knock Off, Leech Seed, or any direct status move that would cause damage thanks to Imprison, and can abuse Sturdy to stay alive, while stalling passive damage against the foe. Oh, and it prevents the foe from undoing Trick Room because they cannot use it themselves

Phantump @ Oran Berry
Ability: Harvest
Bold Nature
- Leech Seed
- Imprison
- Will-O-Wisp
- Trick Room

The MVP, and only reason this team exists-

Perfect typing:
Anti-Priority: Immune to Fake-out, Extreme Speed, Quick Attack, Feint, Mach Punch, Vacuum Wave, Sucker Punch (unless it uses Knock Off from Shuckle).

Perfect movepool:
Heal itself and its teammates with passive Leech Seed, while dealing damage. When combined with Harvest + Oran Berry + Sunny Day, Leech Seed permits the user to take 2 hits each turn!
Imprison prevents the foe from Impostering, being able to Poison/Burn, use Knock Off, undo Trick Room, and even means the opponent cannot use Protect if Phantump's partner has Protect (such as Shuckle).

Will-o-Wisp can burn Steel Types, beside Heatran, Trick Room allows you to reset Sunny Day so Harvest can be consistently active.

Nosepass @ Oran Berry
Bold Nature
- Wide Guard
- Sunny Day
- Pain Split
- Toxic

Nosepass provides itself and its teammate with Wide Guard which prevents spread moves from the opponent. This allows it to alternate turns between its partner to prevent Earthquake, Rock Slide, Surf, etc. each turn, while its partner is free to reset Trick Room, and Sunny Day.

Nosepass, like all other Sturdy users, is meant to be used with Phantump. While Nosepass cannot prevent Knock Off like Shuckle can, it will be able to give Phantump Pain Split, which not only cuts the foes HP by 50% (assuming you survive an attack with Sturdy at 1 HP), but restores your own HP to full (assuming your opponent has at least 20 HP remaining: *it takes 10 HP off your opponent plus the 1 from surviving with Sturdy to fully heal).

If Nosepass and Phantump both uses Pain Split on the same foe, they effectively cut a 100% HP Pokemon down to 25%, this means that the foe is only 2 turns of Leech Seed away from being KOed, plus 2 or so HP leftover.

Strategies: Prevent all Spread moves, provide Phantump with Toxic to deal with Fire types and Araquanid (Water Bubble), as well as Sunny Day to keep Harvest active.

Shieldon @ Oran Berry
Bold Nature
- Wide Guard
- Sunny Day
- Toxic
- Protect

Secondary Wide Guard user. You might feel Protect and Wide Guard are the same- one promotes group protection, while another is individual protection. Since many players will catch on to just using alternating Wide Guard per turn partners, they will likely just stop using spread moves, but having Protect means you can always stall a turn to Harvest an Oran Berry.

Toxic, Protect, and Sunny Day have are obvious - provide Phantump the options to deal damage, stall for damage, and keep Harvest active.

Magnemite @ Oran Berry
EVs: 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Recycle
- Toxic
- Sunny Day
- Protect

Magnemite can use Toxic, and not risk Magic Bounce sending Toxic back at it, due to its Steel typing. Recycle is very useful, especially when you have to wait a turn to use Protect. While Magnemite may seem redundant think of this:

Foe 1 hits Magnemite, Sturdy activates to keep Magnemite at 1 HP, Oran Berry activates to heal up 10 HP (healing up 1 HP to 11 HP), Foe 2 hits, Sturdy activates to keep Magnemite at 1 HP, Magnemite uses Recycle to regain Oran Berry, Oran Berry triggers and heals 10 HP from 1 HP to 11 HP, Harvest restores Oran Berry at the end of the turn, Oran Berry is ready to keep Magnetmite alive for 2 hits per turn next turn.

Magnemite, like all other Sturdy users, is meant to be used with Phantump. While Magnemite cannot prevent Knock Off like Shuckle can, it will be able to give Phantump a way to heal up, and can be a last resort if Sunny Day wears off, or if the partner is not Phantump, and each partner can just switch between Protect and Recycle to stall the foe out with passive damage.

Toxic, Protect, and Sunny Day have already been explained - provide Phantump the options to deal damage, stall for damage, and keep Harvest active.

Shuckle @ Oran Berry
Bold Nature
- Knock Off / Safeguard / Infestation
- Toxic
- Sunny Day
- Protect

The only reason Knock Off can't hurt my team (when combined with Imprison). Toxic, Protect, and Sunny Day have already been explained.

Other options:
Other Options:
Magic Coat on Nosepass is also an option, as it can allow you to outspeed a Status user if they have Prankster or if Trick Room is not in effect, and prevent the status move, for that turn (which requires you to know which one is targeted.

Another status prevention so I prefer is Safeguard, which Vulpix and Shuckle can learn, Shuckle wants to keep Protect, Sunny Day, Toxic, so it would have to go over Knock Off.
Vulpix can replace Pain Split with Safeguard, but it forces you to lead with a Pokémon to use Safeguard the first turn, as Vulpix switches out to give Phantump a Sturdy partner, or switches out to give a Sturdy user Phantump as its partner.

If anyone suggests Misty Terrain, remember, it protects your foe as well. Safeguard is well... safer.

For Shuckle, Infestation is an option over Knock Off (you need to always give Phantump the following 3 moves: Sunny Day, Toxic, and a variation of Protect so you can Toxic Fire types, and be able to Harvest a Berry on the turn you reset Sunny Day with 1 Pokemon a while using Protect with the other), so Knock Off is the only replaceable move. I find that Infestation doesn't seem too good because you want constant damage that wont wear off, Knock Off can at least be used to remove Leftovers, and KO a foe after Pain Split.

*Notes:
Pain Split on Phantump would be great, but it cannot fit, as you absolutely need Imprison, Trick Room, Leech Seed (heals you before Oran Berry which allows you to be hit 2x in a turn, get healed, then Harvest Oran Berry at the end of the turn to keep you alive). While I used to use Pain Split over Imprison, I found that this team's counters of Knock Off, Toxic, Will-o-Wisp, Leech Seed, and others are only stopped simultaneously via Imprison. Don't worry, Nosopass provides Pain Split, Sturdy, Toxic, and Wide Guard all at once. Vulpix is useful for providing a mix of Pain Split, Will-o-Wisp, and Imprison as a last resort (i.e. on the turn it will switch, or stall by using Protect, or stay in with a Sturdy user).
This is really impressive. A viably competive team all at level 1? Much appaulse for you, sir.

or flinch moves or hazards or status or magic guard or magic bounce or multi-hit moves or knock off before you can use imprison or...

It's just not a reliable strategy. It'll beat teams that are focused solely on dealing as much damage as possible immediately, but anything else will have counterplay, and lvl1 teams cannot circumvent counterplay.

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
or flinch moves or hazards or status or magic guard or magic bounce or multi-hit moves or knock off before you can use imprison or...

It's just not a reliable strategy. It'll beat teams that are focused solely on dealing as much damage as possible immediately, but anything else will have counterplay, and lvl1 teams cannot circumvent counterplay.
Trick Room prevents flinch beyond Fake-Out or Water Shuriken with King’s Rock.

Phantump is immune to Fake-Out unless the partner has an -Ate ability.

Pain Split doesn’t get stopped by Magic Bounce, as for Magic Guard, it still heals the user even though it doesn’t damage the opponent. This means they can stall the foe.

Imprison means Status can be stopped the same way as Knock Off. Not to mention typing, if I predict a status move like Toxic, I can send in a Steel type, or for Will-o-Wisp send in Vulpix, or use Protect. Status like Spore, Sleep Powder and Stun Spore as well as Leech Seed are won’t work on Phantump due to its Grass Type, and Leech Seed is also prevented via Imprison so not even it’s partner can be targeted.

You forgot the #1 Counter: Taunt! I don’t think it’s common in the 2v2 formats.

Yes, your points hold truth, but there are ways around some of them.

its pretty good until you see mold breaker lol
You got me there.

Last edited:
Might as well share a few combinations here are there. Do note that I haven't actually used them against an actual player.

Araquanid @ Waterium Z
Ability: Water Bubble
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
- Wide Guard
- Liquidation
- Leech Life
- Ice Beam

Keldeo @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Protect
- Secret Sword
- Hydro Pump
- Aqua Jet

Araquanid allows Keldeo to take advantage of Water Bubble while also sharing it Ice Beam, meaning that Keldeo no longer has to rely on Hidden Power or Icy Wind. Meanwhile, Keldeo shares Aqua Jet with Araquanid, allowing Araquanid to pick up weakened foes with it. And Justified.

Salamence @ Salamencite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 88 Atk / 168 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Protect
- Hyper Voice
- Return
- Tailwind

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Superpower

Mega Salamence allows Landorus to take advantage of Aerilate with Return. While that's all the combination provides, it is very effective. Granted, this isn't the best Mega Salamence set, but I liked it.

Serperior @ Miracle Seed
Ability: Contrary
Timid Nature
- Protect
- Leaf Storm
- Giga Drain
- Dragon Pulse

Heatran @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Protect
- Heat Wave
- Overheat
- Earth Power

As you can tell, the combination goes like this: Heatran uses either Overheat or Leaf Storm then it can use Heat Wave if Heatran has the chance to. This also enables Serperior to use Earth Power and Fire-type moves. Just beware of Marshadow.

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
lol who's gonna be the one to break it to him
Um, have you seen any Taunt sets posted here?
We are in this format, currently. Go ahead, make a set pairing that uses Taunt for this OM, one that would be a standard set.
I haven’t seen it here, but you can create one.
——-
oh cool thx for showing me that I will edit all my post now making everything smaller

Komala
Ability: Comatose
EVs: 156 Spe
Brave Nature
- Sleep Talk

Alakazam @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 HP / 0 Atk / 0 Def / 0 SpD
- Trick Room

average (Camerupt-Mega) @ Cameruptite
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Flamethrower
- Earth Power
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Clefairy @ Eviolite
Ability: Friend Guard
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Bold Nature
- Healing Wish
- Moonlight
- Psych Up
- Endeavor

Bronzong @ Psychium Z
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Trick Room
- Explosion
- Stealth Rock
- Hypnosis

mega pink (Ampharos) @ Life Orb
Ability: Plus
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast
- Power Gem
- Signal Beam

quick explanation- decide which mons you want to set trick room up. Usually its should always be alakazam and komola unless someone kills komola with priority. Sleep talk with alakazam instant trick room with two suicide leads. Send out ampharos and camerupt then you literally kill everything. If your opponent is spamming(prankster) parthing shot wasting turns of trick rooms and their own mons. Send out clefairy and bronzong with alot natural bulk + friend guard. Set up trick room again and you keep them alive with moon light or healing wish ampharos and camerupt.

Dragalge @ Life Orb
Ability: Adaptability
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Sludge Bomb
- Thunderbolt
- Dragon Pulse

provides adaptability high power sludgebombs and hydro pump (non stab) its mostly for the ability you can even replace pulse with Draco meteor with mental herb

rip magerna (Vikavolt) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Quiet Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Bug Buzz
- Air Slash
- Energy Ball

the original partner to camerupt was magerna but it was banned in Dou for its ability soul heart. So I went to find a mon with good coverage and a more defensive ability. It pairs well with camerupt hitting everything camerupt can't hit super effective (expect ground/flying,flying/dragon types) you can replace air slash hp ice a easy fix. You can even replace another move and give it roost so they can heal in/outside of trick room

Aegislash @ Life Orb
Ability: Stance Change
Happiness: 0
Modest Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- King's Shield
I was looking for another hard hitting moon after magerna and found aegislash. It's ability provides camerupt nothing ,but its movepool and hard hitting attack form makes up for it.

Araquanid @ Life Orb
Ability: Water Bubble
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpA
Brave Nature
- Liquidation
- Leech Life
- Ice Beam
- Scald

I was surprised when I figured out that liquidation also got a sheer force boost. It makes araqanid hitting extremely harder than before.Even against resist araqunid manages to nuke them down. Also with its move pool of having scald and ice beam I found it useful. Doesn't offer much outside this.

Roserade @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
Quiet Nature
- Energy Ball
- Dazzling Gleam
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Ice]
Roserade is more for coverage and techician boosted hp ice.
With energy ball it can hit water/rock/ground types that threaten camerupt. Dazzling gleam is useful against dragon types if you think hp ice won't kill or need to finish one mon to focus the other mon.

Volcanion @ Life Orb
Ability: Water Absorb
Quiet Nature
- Steam Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Electric]
- Sludge Bomb

this is probably the only mon I didn't test as a partner. On paper it seems good giving a sheer force steam eruption. Also giving a immunity to water types especially random aqua jet araquanids. Hp electric is for annoying water types as well. Sludge bomb is literally just a random fillier I picked. I forgot it has earth power.

excuse my grammar
tygiagod
Komala
Ability: Comatose
Level: 100
EVs: 156 Spe
Brave Nature
- Sleep Talk
- Filler x2
- Protect

Meowstic @ Choice Specs
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 HP / 0 Atk / 0 Def / 0 SpD
- Trick Room
- Assist
- Nature Power
- Sleep Talk

Have Komala use priority Sleep Talk to pull Trick Room. While Meowstick can use Assist or Nature Power to Attack with a Choice Specs Boost.

When Komala is out, you can send in a Pokémon to Attack without worrying about Prankster because Trick Room is already activated, meaning you can have a v-create.
Have a Pokémon use non-Sleep talkable moves like Assist than can be Prankster boosted.
This means Komala won’t have to worry about anything stopping it because it will likely go first.

Last edited:

Level 51

the orchestra plays the prettiest themes
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
Um, have you seen any Taunt sets posted here?
We are in this format, currently. Go ahead, make a set pairing that uses Taunt for this OM, one that would be a standard set.
I haven’t seen it here, but you can create one.
Taunt is an S-tier move in DOU (the "2v2 format" this is based on) and I see no reason it would drop in usage here. The sheer number of potential gimmick teams (level 1 stuff, ptrap, durant, etc) and setup-heavy teams (shift gear, dd, qd, trick room etc) should increase Taunt's viability, if anything. 4MSS is also no longer a huge problem for most Taunt users since they can cop a moveslot from their teammate anyway, so dropping something like Hidden Power or Protect isn't always a huge deal, especially on some of the better Taunt users such as Thundurus or a Tapu.

With regards to what people have been posting here, I don't think Taunt is the first thing that comes to mind upon an initial glance at a metagame that seems to reward HO a ton. Given the number of people who have posted sets without Protect / called for completely unbusted combinations to be banned, etc, I think it's safe to say that many posters here aren't super familiar with Doubles play in general. Taunt is probably still a move you'd want on your team at least 90% of the time in high-level PiC play.

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
Taunt is an S-tier move in DOU (the "2v2 format" this is based on) and I see no reason it would drop in usage here. The sheer number of potential gimmick teams (level 1 stuff, ptrap, durant, etc) and setup-heavy teams (shift gear, dd, qd, trick room etc) should increase Taunt's viability, if anything. 4MSS is also no longer a huge problem for most Taunt users since they can cop a moveslot from their teammate anyway, so dropping something like Hidden Power or Protect isn't always a huge deal, especially on some of the better Taunt users such as Thundurus or a Tapu.

With regards to what people have been posting here, I don't think Taunt is the first thing that comes to mind upon an initial glance at a metagame that seems to reward HO a ton. Given the number of people who have posted sets without Protect / called for completely unbusted combinations to be banned, etc, I think it's safe to say that many posters here aren't super familiar with Doubles play in general. Taunt is probably still a move you'd want on your team at least 90% of the time in high-level PiC play.
Yes, but Pokémon are threatened by 2 hits per turn, with enhanced movesets (better STAB, coverage, ability abuses like Water Bubble), so I’d say while Taunt isn’t as concerned with 4 move slot syndrome, in this metagame it is concerned with much more risk:

If you Taunt something but it’s partner has the same move and ability to take advantage of whatever move you wish to stop, you have a 50% of targeting the wrong foe- wasting a turn. If both of your Pokémon Taunt, to avoid getting the wrong opponent, you used up an entire turn to Taunt both foes, but what if one of the foe’s Pokémon uses an Attack - it is not stopped at all. Plus, this assumes the Pokémon you want to Taunt used a Tauntable move... what if they both just go for the KO?

*More moveslots makes your opponent have more attacks that don’t need setup turns.
Taunt is more realistic in Standard DOU, because it is easier to predict which foe to Taunt, while in this metagame it isn’t as obvious.

Unlike in DOU, your teammates determine 1/2 your moves and abilities, allowing a completely standard set on a Pokémon to be altered based on its teammates on any given turn. If you Taunt a foe, they may switch to a Magic Bouncer mid-turn, so even if you hit the foe that stays in, you end up Taunted. In DOU, you could Taunt the foe that stays in and not get Magic Bounced.

I think once the gimmick, niche, meme, and newness fades to certain combinations, Taunt will see less value because as you mentioned there is more to Taunt with gimmick sets

Last edited:

Lcass4919

The Xatu Warrior
so i feel like showcasing a team ive been using that even if its not super amazing, its still really fun to use, and has been getting decent results so far.
the team:
Ambipom @ Silk Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Low Kick
- Tail Slap
- Knock Off

when i first created this team, the first thing i thought of is "i want to abuse fakespeed" and the first mon that pops into my head when i think of fake out is ambipom. low kick and knock off are coverage, and i picked tail slap over return because most of the other mons give ambi safer stab to spam, and tail slap's 3rd hit hits roughly around returns base power, so its mostly worth the slot.

Dragonite @ Yache Berry
Ability: Multiscale
Jolly Nature
- Aerial Ace
- Extreme Speed
- Dragon Dance
- Fire Punch

when i first created this team, the first thing i thought of is "i want to abuse fakespeed" and the first mon that pops into my head when i think of fake out extremespeed is ambipom dragonite. dragonite is perhaps the best abuser of espeed out there when it comes to supporting a team. multiscale is just such a great ability in a tier with barely any SR. aerial ace is boosted by techy stab, and espeed is to complete the fakeout espeed combo while also providing aerialate espeed. a very scary move.

Salamence @ Salamencite
Jolly Nature
- Return
- Earthquake
- Tailwind
- Protect

when i put dragonite on the team, i saw espeed and immediately thought "oh god, is mega mence legal" and then this happened. intimidate+multiscale is one of the bulkiest things to try to break past. and its only scarier once both setup a DD and espeed the shit out of your team. tailwind is to support some of my slower mons, as i lack a scarfer.

Kecleon @ Assault Vest
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Sucker Punch
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off

"i want another fake out user." "kecleon gets fake out...ill use that" essentially my next trail of thought. protean is another "amazing ability" and kecleon's pitiful bulk can be mitigated with both intimidate AND multiscale, so its physical bulk is not as detremental as in other tiers like OU.

Lycanroc-Dusk @ Focus Sash
Ability: Tough Claws
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Drill Run
- Accelerock
- Fire Fang

Bisharp @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Protect
- Iron Head
- Knock Off
the last two mons were literally just me going "lol tough claws and defiant" lycan is the only good tough claws user thats fast/not mega. and bisharp fits the rest of the teams synergy perfectly.

my favorite aspect about this team, is that its entire team can be played around with one another, and each combo provides the mon with utility AND power. ill talk about some of the ways i like to use them togeather:

first combo: ambipom+dragonite, "Finally ambipom isn't trash"
ambipom provides techhy fake out, and dragonite provides espeed, giving ambipom a deadly fakespeed combo, meanwhile ambipom provides technician boosted aerial ace, and dragonite provides multiscale so ambipom can tank a hit.

second combo:dragonite+salamence: whats scary then one aerilate espeeder? two.
do i even need to talk about how this works. dnite and salamence provide almost stupid levels of bulk with multiscale AND intimidate. and then aerialate espeed+dragon dance to simply outspeed and demolish the competition.

third combo: kecleon+dragonite: kecleon is outclassed by greninja.
dragonite provides multiscale to help AV kecleon tank hits better, and kecleon provides protean so dragonite becomes a fearsome attacker. dragonite gains stab fakespeed, and also suckerpunch for pesky ghosts.

The rest of the potential combos with quick descriptions: kec and lycan tough claws protean enough said. bisharp+lycanrock. aaa bisharp in a nutshell. bisharp+any mon, anti intimidate. lycanrock+salamence. yeah, lets give salamence +1.5 aerialate boosted returns.

all in all, a lot of people tend to focus on 2 mon combos, so i decided i wanted to attempt to make a viable team that the ENTIRE team appriciates one anothers support.

Last edited:

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
so i feel like showcasing a team ive been using that even if its not super amazing, its still really fun to use, and has been getting decent results so far.
the team:
Ambipom @ Silk Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Low Kick
- Tail Slap
- Knock Off

Dragonite @ Yache Berry
Ability: Multiscale
Jolly Nature
- Aerial Ace
- Extreme Speed
- Dragon Dance
- Fire Punch

Salamence @ Salamencite
Jolly Nature
- Return
- Earthquake
- Tailwind
- Protect

Kecleon @ Assault Vest
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Sucker Punch
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off

Lycanroc-Dusk @ Focus Sash
Ability: Tough Claws
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Drill Run
- Accelerock
- Fire Fang

Bisharp @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Protect
- Iron Head
- Knock Off

my favorite aspect about this team, is that its entire team can be played around with one another, and each combo provides the mon with utility AND power. ill talk about some of the ways i like to use them togeather:

first combo: ambipom+dragonite, "Finally ambipom isn't trash"
ambipom provides techhy fake out, and dragonite provides espeed, giving ambipom a deadly fakespeed combo, meanwhile ambipom provides technician boosted aerial ace, and dragonite provides multiscale so ambipom can tank a hit.

second combo:dragonite+salamence: whats scary then one aerilate espeeder? two.
do i even need to talk about how this works. dnite and salamence provide almost stupid levels of bulk with multiscale AND intimidate. and then aerialate espeed+dragon dance to simply outspeed and demolish the competition.

third combo: kecleon+dragonite: kecleon is outclassed by greninja.
dragonite provides multiscale to help AV kecleon tank hits better, and kecleon provides protean so dragonite becomes a fearsome attacker. dragonite gains stab fakespeed, and also suckerpunch for pesky ghosts.

The rest of the potential combos with quick descriptions: kec and lycan tough claws protean enough said. bisharp+lycanrock. aaa bisharp in a nutshell. bisharp+any mon, anti intimidate. lycanrock+salamence. yeah, lets give salamence +1.5 aerialate boosted returns.

all in all, a lot of people tend to focus on 2 mon combos, so i decided i wanted to attempt to make a viable team that the ENTIRE team appriciates one anothers support.
I have to say, I faced this team yesterday, and it was good- consistently. It was fun to see the team adapt, which also highlights my previous post, that a partner can immediately impact a Pokemon’s “Standard” set, and makes each turn unpredictable.
———
In regards to Mat Block: which doesn’t block status moves:
For pure immunity use this rematch as a reference: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/rom-gen7partnersincrime-185765
——————-
Here is a quick strategy 3 Turn Win:
Dugtrio with Beat Up to Arena Trap, paired with Terrakion's Justified to sweep with Rock Slide. Both pack Choice Scarf. The good thing is Dugtrio can keep refreshing the attack boost so that way Intimidate wont take down it's boosts...
Also, here is a replay:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/rom-gen7partnersincrime-185922

“Long-winded” 4 Turn Win
I also pack Choice Scarf Mandibuzz, so she can use Knock Off, which removes the Choice Scarf, and thanks to Weak Armor, doubles the Speed, while Knock Off boosts attack due to Justified.
So there are 2 ways to play this team, just lead with Dugtrio and Terrakion and use the Rock Slide and Beat Up strategy, or use a long-winded play that covers many things (priority, accuracy, etc.): http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/rom-gen7partnersincrime-185925
Tapu Lele @ Lagging Tail
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Serious Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- Psychic
- Gravity
- Focus Blast
Lead with Probopass- the goal is to Volt Switch, killing Probopass last due to Lagging Tail, while Probopass uses Gravity to increase the accuracy of Rock Slide and enable Earthquake.

Psychic Terrain prevents priority, which helps with Terrakion. You KO Probopass as you switch allowing you to send in both Dugtrio and Terrakion at once, letting you use Rock Slide and Beat Up which KOs the foes.

Probopass @ Berry Juice
Level: 2
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Volt Switch
- Pain Split
- Gravity
- Wide Guard
Allows for immediate healing due to Berry Juice, and letting you take 2 hits on the first turn. Pain Split is for a last resort of dealing and healing damage, such as if this is the final Pokémon facing your opponents’ final Pokémon. It can stall and then KO with Volt Switch.

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
EVs: 124 HP / 252 Atk / 132 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Close Combat
- X-Scissor
Send in with Dugtrio with a huge sweep, with a chance to Flinch and never miss due to Gravity. Earthquake also KOs Dugtrio which is good because it let's you send in Mandibuzz to use Knock Off and boost Terrakion's Speed, thanks to Weak Armor, and let it choose its attack, all while maxing its attack (since Probopass's death means Beat Up only boosts it 5 times instead of 6, so Knock Off finishes off the boosts.

It is specifically EVed in Speed to be 1 Speed below Scarf Mandibuzz, so this way it can be hit first to gain the Attack boost, the Speed Boost, and lose its Scarf, allowing it to maintain momentum.

Also, Mandibuzz, if injured may die, but will survive at full HP. The bonus is that Earthquake also boosts Mandibuzz's Speed, letting it go first against the foe to use Knock Off or as a last resort, STAB Foul Play (which also bypasses Intimidates).

Weavile @ Focus Sash
Ability: Pickpocket
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Serious Nature
- Beat Up
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Pursuit
Weavile is used as a last resort to Beat Up, I opted for Focus Sash because it allows Weavile to survive an Earthquake from Terrakion, while taking away its item via Knock Off, just like Mandibuzz, to up its attack, and remove the Choice lock (although it wont activate Weak Armor).

Pickpocket is used in the event the foe hits Weavile, activates Focus Sash, and now Weavile can steal their item, effectively counting as an Endure + Trick in one turn not counting Weavile's attack.

Icicle Crash handles Ground and Grass types that resist Earthquake and Rock Slide, respectively.

Pursuit works as a mild version of Dugtrio, allowing it to strike a foe on their switch, or even allow Terrakion to strike a foe on the switch.

Weavile is the fastest user of Beat Up, which matters if Psychic Surge wears off.

Mandibuzz @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Weak Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Foul Play
- U-turn
- Brave Bird
Use when Dugtrio dies. Knock Off to boost Terrakion's Speed by +2, increase its Attack by +1, and ultimately enables Terrakion to switch moves with no drawback thanks to it going first under Psychic Surge (block priority), and sweep.

Mandibuzz can take an EQ under Gravity when Terrakion is at +5 attack, (Dugtrio's Beat Up), which means it will survive the hit, use Knock Off, and then get outspeed next turn for the EQ KOing everyone.

Mandibuzz's ability to double its speed as it survives the EQ says it can promptly also further outspeed a foe that wears Scarf due to Weak Armor stacking on Choice Scarf.

This allows me to use it as a last resort to Foul Play past Intimidates for a quick sweep if I switch it in later on.

Dugtrio @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Beat Up
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Knock Off
The best way to win immediately is to lead with Dugtrio and Terrakion to just use Beat Up as Terrakion uses Rock Slide. It ends games quick. In the event your foe uses lots of Rock resists (Steel, Fighting, Ground), then you lead with Tapu Lele and Probopass.

Dugtrio is meant to either Beat Up as Terrakion uses Rock Slide, or Beat Up, then die as Terrakion uses EQ so that Mandibuzz can come in and Knock Off the Terraion's Choice Scarf and then it can alternate attacks.

Last edited:

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
so why was I quoted?
I must have edited it. I think I quoted you for the Mat Block strategy, but it was too long so I removed it.
For both Prankster and Mirror Move in 1 Pokemon try Murkrow with a Rock Slide or Earthquake user! Nothing says surprise like a Z-Mirror Move boosted Earthquake at +2!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)