1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Partners In Polish

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by msox, Nov 18, 2012.

1. msox

msox

Partners In Polish

[pimg]248[/pimg][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Hello all and welcome to my first OU Rmt. This is a sand team I created which features two lethal sweepers who get the festivities staring with rock polish: Genesect and Landorus. These two are extremely deadly mid to late game and their sweeps are eased by a combination of hazards, burn and poison damage and residual sand damage spread by other members of the team. When I had faced either of these mons in the past, I realized their power and potential to sweep, so I figured having both together plus the proper assistance would lead to a solid team. Enjoy!​

In Depth

[pimg]248[/pimg]
    Tyranitar @ Choice Band
    Trait: Sand Stream
    Adamant Nature
    156 HP/252 Atk/100 Spe
    -Pursuit
    -Crunch
    -Superpower
    -Stone Edge

I opted for Tyranitar over Hippowdown as my sand setter because Hippowdown's usual duties such as phazing, stealth rocks and toxic stall are covered by other members of the team. Additionally, Tyranitar equipped with a choice band brings massive physical power which is not found anywhere else on my team, and helps remove opposing mons who could interfere with my sweeps including specially defensive Zapdos, Blissey, Chansey andthe Lati twins.​

[​IMG]
    Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet
    Trait: Iron Barbs
    Relaxed Nature
    252 HP/88 Def/168 Sp.Def
    -Spikes
    -Thunder Wave
    -Leech Seed
    -Power Whip

Ferrothorn is an excellent utility pokemon. It can easily wear down opposition through stacking up leech seed and sandstorm damge while it sprads paralysis. On top of this, the combination of its fantastic ability iron barbs and a rocky helmet cause the opponent to lose about a quarter of their HP whenever they make contact with me. This happens quite often due to Ferro's many resitances I can switch into. I use power whip ove gyro ball as it causes some solid damage to the ground types who come in to absorb thunder waves.​

[​IMG]
    Heatran @ Leftovers
    Trait: Flash Fire
    Calm Nature
    248 HP/252 Sp.Def/8 Spe
    -Lava Plume
    -Roar
    -Stealth Rock
    -Protect

Specially defensive Heatran forms a great defensive core with physically defensive Slowbro. Common water, ground and fighting attacks aimed at Heatran are easily taken by Slowbro who in return has it's weaknesses absorbed by Heatran (except for electric which can be taken by Landorus or Ferrothon). Heatran is also a valuable utility poke who gets my rocks up, phazes, spreads occasional burns and scouts choiced ground moves with protect, which can lead to a Landorus set up.​

[​IMG]
    Slowbro @ Leftovers
    Trait: Regenerator
    Bold Nature
    248 HP/244 Def/16 Sp.Atk
    -Toxic
    -Slack Off
    -Psyshock
    -Scald

Don't be fooled by its UU status, Slowbro is an amzing physical wall in the OU metagame as well. Slowbro's massive defense stat, slack off and arguably the best abiliy in the game regenerator means it's extremely difficult to take down. The only moves that are capable of OHKOing are taken from defensive partners Ferrothon and Heatran who can both also take toxics which are aimed to slowly wear him down. On top of Slowbro's incredible longevity, he can fire off suprisingly strong psyshocks and scalds from a base 100 Special Attack, which ain't to shabby at all.​

[​IMG]
    Genesect @ Expert Belt
    Trait: Download
    Modest Nature
    4 Sp.Def/252 Sp.Atk/252 Spe
    -Rock Polish
    -Bug Buzz
    -Thunderbolt
    -Ice Beam

After a rock polish boost, we all know what Genesect can do. It's fantastic coverage allows me to use an expert belt and increase longvity instead of taking life orb recoil. I always have to make sure I can safely come in on an opposing mon that grants me a Special Attack boost which makes a huge difference when sweeping late.​

[​IMG]
    Landorus @ Life Orb
    Trait: Sheer Force
    Modest Nature
    4 HP/252 Sp.Atk/252 Spe
    -Rock Polish
    -Earth Power
    -Hidden Power Ice
    -Focus Blast

The same opening sentence in Genesect's description easily aplies to Landorus as well. In Landorus' case I can use a Life Orb because the recoil is negated by the genie's amazing ability: Sheer Force. It dosen't negate recoil from HP Ice but the coverage for dragons is worth the occassional 10% HP reduction. Sheer Force creates wickedly powerful special attacks coming from a base 115 Sp.Atk which absolutely dstroys any pokemon at low health or without any Sp.Def investment.​

One Last Look

[​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Thanks for reading! I'm open to suggestions so please rate!
  2. Jirachee

Jirachee the taste of blood
    is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
    RMT Co-Leader

Hi

Your team is pretty solid, however there's a couple of things about it that need to be fixed. Calm Mind 3 Attacks / Choice Specs Keldeo pretty much flat out 6-0es you because your whole team pretty slow and weak to either one of its STABs, except for Slowbro and Genesect. Genesect isn't taking boosted Hydro Pumps anytime soon, and Slowbro gets wrecked by +1 HP Ghost or just Specs Hydro Pump in Rain. To be fair I think that Slowbro isn't that great in BW2 because Terrakion isn't the top Fighting typed threat anymore, and some of them simply outright beat Slowbro, such as Breloom. I think that you should try out LO Latias instead of Slowbro. It's perfectly well suited for the metagame, as it offers great resists, and has the Speed and power to beat most Fighting types. While it may not be as bulky as Slowbro, it is more effective at dispatching the threats you use it for.

The other main problem I see with your team is a general lack of Speed. In your team's current state, your fastest Pokemon is a Modest Landorus. This is extremely slow for BW2 standards where offense is often considered as the best playstyle, which means the most important stat is Speed. Since a lot of your Pokemon are slow, bulky Pokemon, you let the opponent a lot of room to set up, which means that you'll be constantly facing faster boosted threats who will end up killing something on your team all the time, and weakening something else that you send in on the revenge kill. You also have 0 defenses against the fast Rain sweepers such as Thundurus-T and Tornadus-T. Thundurus-T outright sweeps you (not with Latias though!), while LO Tornadus-T as a good chance at it. I definetly think that a Scarfer is essential for a good team of this style in the current metagame. Perhaps you should change your Genesect's set to a Choice Scarf set instead. Scarf Genesect can act as a catch-all revenge killer, as it is able to outrun and beat a huge part of the metagame. While you lose some of Genesect's excellent sweeping capabilities, you still have Landorus which is one of the best at this, and you gain a great tool to stop the opponent's faster threats from just wrecking your team.

Other than that, cool team. Here are the sets you should use:
    Latias and Genesect (open)

[​IMG]
    Latias @ Life Orb
    Levitate
    Timid
    EVs: 72 HP / 176 SpA / 252 Spe
    ~Draco Meteor
    ~Psyshock
    ~Hidden Power Fire
    ~Recover

[​IMG]
    Genesect @ Choice Scarf
    Download
    Naive
    EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    ~U-turn
    ~Ice Beam
    ~Thunderbolt
    ~Flamethrower

Good luck!
  3. Harsha

Harsha Rest In Beats
    is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
    RMT Co-Leader

Your team looks like it can be effective, but it seems that Spikes-stacking teams will be a major thorn in your side with that current lineup. For one, you have no Pokemon that outpace Choice Band Terrakion, so it's free to spam Stone Edge or Close Combat while you try and switch your Pokemon into its repeated onslaught. Slowbro won't last very long with entry hazards on the field. Additionally, rain offense looks problematic, and with Rocky Helmet Ferrothorn as your only defense against them (Slowbro is not very good against rain teams), you could be in for a beat-down. Sun teams wreak havoc too, especially considering how easy it is to bring in Dugtrio on Heatran. While your team is built around the premise of using two Pokemon with Rock Polish, I don't necessarily think that's the best idea. The best change here in my opinion is changing Landorus from a special sweeper to a revenge killer. Genesect packs plenty of power as a Rock Polish sweeper already, and Landorus seems to be dead weight in my opinion, as Genesect bluffs a Choice Scarf set much better and many teams carry special sponges such as Rotom-W to bring Landorus down more easily than Genesect. A set with U-turn / Earthquake / Stone Edge / Hidden Power Ice with a spread of 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe and a Naive nature, along with a Choice Scarf, works best here.

While Landorus somewhat fixes the sun issue, I still worry about how you deal with rain threats. Tornadus-T looks like a massive thorn in your side, especially because without the change I made, you can't even outpace it, and even with this change, you can't switch in. I'd back up the use of Latias over Slowbro (suggested by Jirachi), as it allows you to not only have a better defense against Fighting-types such as Breloom, but you can also sweep with it and defend against rain and sun much better. Latias's huge base 130 Special Defense means that it can tank Hydro Pump all day, so you'll be fine in that regard. I'd recommend a set with Recover / Psyshock / Hidden Power Fire / Draco Meteor with a Timid nature and an EV spread of 72 HP / 176 SpA / 252 Spe, though you can try using Leftovers rather than Life Orb because losing Life Orb damage and sand damage on Latias will add up, especially if you get burnt. With Latias, your team has much more offense, and it runs more smoothly against a lot of offensive threats because it can fight back with offense. As far as more minor changes go, I think BoltBeam coverage on Genesect is overrated. I'd try running Giga Drain over Thunderbolt because both grant coverage against Water-type Pokemon, but that's only personal preference. Also I'd try Leftovers on Ferrothorn to take Hydro Pump better from Politoed, but again, personal preference. Good luck, I hope I helped.
  4. msox

msox

thanks to both of you for the rates. I too agree with both of you to switch slowbro for latias but i"ll keep my options open fo genesect. rp landorus will stay

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)